|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
This person posted a bunch of accurate Direct leaks several days before it aired. They mentioned another Fire Emblem this year so hopefully there will be a strategy game announcement.

The Fire Emblem news is a real stab in the back. Especially because Hyrule Warriors performed like a slideshow at points. So it's hard to be excited for this...

But pretty much everything else was really good. Excited for Front Mission remasters, Xeno 3 looks good, and yes of course LiveALive remake.
Age of Calamity made me extremely skeptical of any future Nintendo musou games, and with the way Three Houses is structured I'm afraid it will become a golden route where all the houses beat the big bad and sing kumbya before returning to the main timeline.

But hey if Shamir is a playable character I'll probably still get it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Front Mission 1 and more than that 2 are big news, dunno why it seems there's no hype. Everyone was introduced to the series with 3 in the West on PS and 2 is the precusor to that, perhaps a bit more primitive or messy visually but according to many it's even better as a game (sans design issues the remake can fix like the prolonged attack animations showing mechs dodging and moving about etc.). There are fan translations but not complete iirc. I'm glad it's not HD-2D either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The Fire Emblem news is a real stab in the back. Especially because Hyrule Warriors performed like a slideshow at points. So it's hard to be excited for this...

But pretty much everything else was really good. Excited for Front Mission remasters, Xeno 3 looks good, and yes of course LiveALive remake.
The first FE Warriors was pretty fun to play, and performed really well. It even has 30fps and 60fps mode. I dumped at least 100 hours into that game. Not sure why they drop the ball on Age of Calamity so bad. Still haven't played that game due to poor performance.
Front Mission 1 and more than that 2 are big news, dunno why it seems there's no hype. Everyone was introduced to the series with 3 in the West on PS and 2 is the precusor to that, perhaps a bit more primitive or messy visually but according to many it's even better as a game (sans design issues the remake can fix like the prolonged attack animations showing mechs dodging and moving about etc.). There are fan translations but not complete iirc. I'm glad it's not HD-2D either.
Nope, I am hyped but going to wait for PC release. It looks a bit bad but at least looks better than Chrono Cross.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Nope, I am hyped but going to wait for PC release. It looks a bit bad but at least looks better than Chrono Cross.
I mean yeah, I'll play it on PC too, hopefully we won't wait too long if not day and date. What do you think looks bad? Especially since they showed only 1 which was a 2D SNES (& PS & DS) game it looks quite nice. There's no comparison to Chrono Cross which is a remaster with some dubious enchancements. Still I do hope 2 will try to be a little less blocky and more cinematic in approach since that was the intention of 2 (and 3 that we actually got in the West) on PS1. Then again we didn't see too much, maybe the relevant scenes are suitably cinematic already, even with that blocky step ladder style for the terrain and more old school attack animation style with showing the units in separate screens, which made it look a bit more toy-like or tabletop-like than gritty & simmy to me.

It's weird they didn't upload the Direct gameplay footage in the individual trailers though, instead the official trailer uploaded for the remake(s) only shows CG.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I mean yeah, I'll play it on PC too, hopefully we won't wait too long if not day and date. What do you think looks bad? Especially since they showed only 1 which was a 2D SNES (& PS & DS) game it looks quite nice. There's no comparison to Chrono Cross which is a remaster with some dubious enchancements. Still I do hope 2 will try to be a little less blocky and more cinematic in approach since that was the intention of 2 (and 3 that we actually got in the West) on PS1. Then again we didn't see too much, maybe the relevant scenes are suitably cinematic already, even with that blocky step ladder style for the terrain and more old school attack animation style with showing the units in separate screens, which made it look a bit more toy-like or tabletop-like than gritty & simmy to me.

It's weird they didn't upload the Direct gameplay footage in the individual trailers though, instead the official trailer uploaded for the remake(s) only shows CG.
Oh I should have clarified, the framerate during battle looks rough. Graphics do not look bad at all.

But yeah, framerate wouldn't be a problem on PC.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm curious, is anyone else going to get horizon on PS4.
Will be the first time I am actively choosing to buy a game on a previous gen console instead of getting the new console and game.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Will be the first time I am actively choosing to buy a game on a previous gen console instead of getting the new console and game.
Do you have access to a PS5 and are choosing PS4 for a reason or is this a choice motivated by the stock issues ?

Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Do you have access to a PS5 and are choosing PS4 for a reason or is this a choice motivated by the stock issues ?
Basically I decided to not get a PS5 until there are a lot more games I want (usually 5 must haves), I could have picked up a PS5 about a month ago as there were a few in stock, but I stick with that personal motto for all consoles.

So now I'm thinking I already have a PS4 and I do want to check it out, so why not. Just feels strange I guess knowing theres a better version. So was more wondering if others were going to do the same here.

• Hug
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Basically I decided to not get a PS5 until there are a lot more games I want (usually 5 must haves), I could have picked up a PS5 about a month ago as there were a few in stock, but I stick with that personal motto for all consoles.

So now I'm thinking I already have a PS4 and I do want to check it out, so why not. Just feels strange I guess knowing theres a better version. So was more wondering if others were going to do the same here.
Makes sense ! Meanwhile in France, as my curiosity was slightly piqued by this PS5 talk, I'm on a big retailer site... in the QUEUE... just to DISPLAY the PS5 page... and I'm 17,548
This is fine.

• Gib
Reactions: Prodigy

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Makes sense ! Meanwhile in France, as my curiosity was slightly piqued by this PS5 talk, I'm on a big retailer site... in the QUEUE... just to DISPLAY the PS5 page... and I'm 17,548
This is fine.
That's absolutely crazy.
I'm still kicking myself because about 6 months ago someone in my neighborhood chat group was selling a PS5 for half the retail price (so like $200) and I think it had an extra controller and 2 PS5 games. I just ignored it, infact I don't think anyone on the group responded. Now I slap myself because I could have easily sold it.

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
That's absolutely crazy.
I'm still kicking myself because about 6 months ago someone in my neighborhood chat group was selling a PS5 for half the retail price (so like $200) and I think it had an extra controller and 2 PS5 games. I just ignored it, infact I don't think anyone on the group responded. Now I slap myself because I could have easily sold it.
So as expected it turns out it was a queue to have the privilege of displaying the out of stock page and optionally put the thing on some fucking wishlist.
At this point, better that I can't get one because I would have the hardest time not reselling it the very second I get it.

But on a related note...
Now I'm admittedly more of a Microsoft fan these days, I'm fed up with the Sony formula, but without console waring, what the fuck of note released on PS5 in the last few months ? I honestly can't remember any 1st or even 2nd party of note since, maybe September ? I don't even recall the specific game but it must have been at the time.
Honest question, what is Sony doing ? I'm not a die hard anti console exclusive, I can certainly be sweet talked into buying a PS5, but what is fucking releasing that would make me favor it over an Xbox or a PC refresh ?

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
So as expected it turns out it was a queue to have the privilege of displaying the out of stock page and optionally put the thing on some fucking wishlist.
At this point, better that I can't get one because I would have the hardest time not reselling it the very second I get it.

But on a related note...
Now I'm admittedly more of a Microsoft fan these days, I'm fed up with the Sony formula, but without console waring, what the fuck of note released on PS5 in the last few months ? I honestly can't remember any 1st or even 2nd party of note since, maybe September ? I don't even recall the specific game but it must have been at the time.
Honest question, what is Sony doing ? I'm not a die hard anti console exclusive, I can certainly be sweet talked into buying a PS5, but what is fucking releasing that would make me favor it over an Xbox or a PC refresh ?
Hard to say, the ones I have had an eye on were
Returnal
Demons Soul
Horizon Forbidden West
God of War

Returnal and Demons Souls were in the Nvidia leak so I would image they will come to PC with a wait.
Forbidden West and God of war are also on PS4 so you can technically get the experience. And I imagine they will also go PC in the future.

Probably why I have not rushed yet. If you only play only console and Sony platform then its great, but otherwise i can see why one would struggle to justify especially with inflated costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekeats1999

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
What’s the feeling on the Xenoblade Chronicles games for Switch? Seeing everyone hyped for 3 has me curious about the first two.

Any comparison games that can give me an idea what to expect?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
What’s the feeling on the Xenoblade Chronicles games for Switch? Seeing everyone hyped for 3 has me curious about the first two.

At the core, they're JRPGs with a greater focus on exploration. The world map is a little like in between your regular open-ish JRPG and an MMO. It is an open design on a large scale that funnels into smaller areas and is punctuated by towns or cities. Points of interest are often spaced far from each other, but it's also large, very pretty to look at (when the dynamic resolution doesn't fail you) and elaborate. XB1's world is all interconnected in some way, whereas XB2 is made up of distinct zones varying in complexity and scope.

When people talk these games being about exploration, I would not picture something like Breath of the Wild where the traversal is interesting in and of itself and there is a lot of unpredictability and dynamism in the player-world-enemy relationship. Your out of combat verb set is like any other JRPG, which is to say you can talk to a NPC, read a sign or walk (and awkwardly jump in these games). XB's world and enemy behavior is a lot more static. There is a large space to explore in which you will find either Loot or Hidden Bosses. You also get little bonuses finding new or secret areas. Its scope and size are the general appeal (sometimes in practice a problem I think), and there are lots of breathtaking views. Perhaps at odds with the level design, both games are structurally fairly linear affairs and your exploration will be bounded by higher level enemies that will obliterate you if you look at them too crossly. There are ways to get around them by the cheesing how they leash, but I never found this particularly satisfying or rewarding.

Both games have an active command-based battle system that's a little difficult to compare to other games. In XB1, the character you control does auto attacks and then you order special attacks based on internal timers. It's a little reminiscent of an MMO or like FF12 but more elaborate and all manual. Your other party members do their own thing and are sometimes competent, sometimes not. It's a system largely focused performing a set of chained status effects to disable enemies and prevent enemy party wiping attacks that you're told of beforehand. No single character can do the entire chain on their own, so you're reliant on other party members to trigger or continue parts of the chain, which can be frustrating. You can play whichever party member you prefer (but against optional bosses you'll often be a little hamstrung if you play the main character).

XB2 is built on a similar system but has a greater focus on timing based inputs, which makes battles altogether less passive and more interesting imo. The game also adds a mechanic of sequentially chaining your special attacks to build up to a super duper special attack on top of that. There are other additions that increase combat complexity, but in actuality it's pretty simple and over the course of the game's long runtime you will get very familiar with it all. Initially, it's a lot to take it but after playing the XB1 remaster I felt it was more engaging than XB1.

The side content in both games is not worth speaking of, really. The main stories and finding superbosses to take down with a kitted out party is mainly where it's at content-wise, and there's plenty of content there anyway.

If you're interested, the XB1 remake is a good place to start of course, but you can also begin with XB2 and you won't be lost. I think both games are decent albeit too long, the stop-and-start nature of the combat vs exploration dynamic is frequently tiring, and I was personally not as enamored by the large scale of their level design as others. But the variety of pretty environments was very captivating and kept me going through both games, so on the whole I would still give them a recommendation if you're okay with other JRPGs and all the associations with the genre because it's pretty stock standard beyond the level design and combat.

Last edited:

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

To add to beep boop's great write-up, I would say one of the best features regarding the exploration of Xenoblade is enemy placement: the development team deliberately mixes high level enemies between low-leveled enemies even in early areas. There is a recurring joke among the players of Xenoblade 2 which is about being killed by a Lv80 Gorilla when going to the town in chapter 1. These superbosses basically act as (1) obstacles to deeper areas of the map, (2) add a sense of danger, (3) give the world its own ecosystem that feels unique to the area and (4) gives players a feeling of progression when you backtracked to those areas but now more powerful to kill those enemies. You can find this way of enemy placement in some games like Fallout New Vegas but this is very rare in Japanese games, and killing these high-leveled enemies during late-game is really satisfying, to say the very least.

Another strength would be music. The soundtrack in these games are phenomenal. To avoid spoilers I would just post two fan favorites to give you a taste of what to look forward to in-game. Gaur Plain from 1 is a map theme while Counterattack from 2 is mostly used during cutscenes.

Last but not least, the story. Premise is unique among the industry and there are some well-written villains. The stories are also anime as fuck. Depending on who you ask, some people may love them to death while others not so much. Personally I belong to the former.

As suggested, I would say Xenoblade 1: Definitive Edition on switch is the best place to start. Both of them are very long game, so do expect a 50-70 hours main story and another 100 hours+ on side content.

Last edited:

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
I'm waiting for it on PC, actually. I guess I'm a bad console gamer.

Reactions: C-Dub

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Also if you get xenoblade 2 please save this combat video. It was the only one that I found that explained everything properly. Other combat guides give very surface level info.

Im actually going through the series again myself. Just started Xenoblade DE a week ago, much better with the quality of life improvements.
Finished Xenoblade 2 a couple years ago but have yet to play Torna. Will be cool to go through the series before 3 .

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
have yet to play Torna
Torna is the best game in the Xenoblade series. Beautiful story, refined mechanics and good handheld performance. So good.

Oh, and I started playing master mode of Breath of the Wild. Already off the plateau and it is so hard to kill anything (and not be killed) haha. Need to sneak around and do stealth kill as much as possible.

Reactions: C-Dub and Prodigy

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Oh, and I started playing master mode of Breath of the Wild. Already off the plateau and it is so hard to kill anything (and not be killed) haha. Need to sneak around and do stealth kill as much as possible.
The Lynel on the Great Plateau was pretty savage. I played through the entirety of the game once in MM, including DLC. I had plenty of fun and it's an interesting way to re-experience the game, but I also found that the health regen kind of breaks non-stealth combat. Good luck :heroblob:

• Comfy

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The Lynel on the Great Plateau was pretty savage. I played through the entirety of the game once in MM, including DLC. I had plenty of fun and it's an interesting way to re-experience the game, but I also found that the health regen kind of breaks non-stealth combat. Good luck :heroblob:
Just reached Kakariko Village. There are good weapons on those floating platforms, but all these bokoblins are still difficult to kill lol. When I was playing the default difficulty, I always went "hey I am Link the Champion and you are going to fear me!" and started sword-slashing in enemy camps. Now? "Oh shit shit shit black bokoblins sorry I am wrong sorry please don't kill me". :ROFLMAO:

Surprisingly I remember the game vividly even after 5 years. Know all the roads and whatnot. The music also sound so nostalgic. Man, time flies.

OP
fantomena

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
My consoles are completely dusting down. I don't really play anything on them anymore due to all the games on my PC. The big waves of PC games releasing has completely vanished my console usage. I only really use my consoles like once a month just to turn them on to check if there are any updates, any news in the storefront, then turn them off. Like my use of Xbox is basically dead as MS releases games on PC, Sony has very much vanished due to the Geforce Now leak (dont' even know if Im getting Forbidden West day 1 on PS5, before the leak it was a day 1 buy), Switch does get a bit use at times due to Picross and certain exclusives, but very little in use.

Again, it is really mainly because the PC game library is so big and diverse, there isn't time to use my consoles.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021

I'm happy that Front Mission games are getting a remake treatment. I only had a chance to play Front Mission 3 on PS1 but it always froze on a mission halfway through the game so I did not complete it. However, there is something about these graphics that look off to me. When the camera is zoomed in during the combat sequence, the combination of graphics, depth of field, and texture work make those giant mechs look like small toys in the playground instead of the battlefield. Everything has this plastic look. Is it only me?

Reactions: Cacher and Li Kao

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Continue my Breath of the Wild master mode adventure.

I went straight to the desert after getting out of Kakariko Village. All these black Lizalfos in the Gerudo region can one-shot me.

Yeah, galaxy-brain decision-making. Somehow I am really enjoying this. Dangerous, but really fun.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Lots of games are going to be lost to the ether because they won't be available digitally and used physical copies are prohibitively expensive for most people. There's always emulation and piracy, but it's still a lousy solution.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Lots of games are going to be lost to the ether because they won't be available digitally and used physical copies are prohibitively expensive for most people. There's always emulation and piracy, but it's still a lousy solution.
Fuck Nintendo for being so bad on managing their eshop, Games like Fire Emblem Fates: Revelation or Ace Attorney will be lost forever.

Dec 5, 2018
So I was reading about that and apparently some games have their DLCs sold through ingame stores but tied to progression so if you wanted to get all the DLCs for some games you'd to play them and then get far enough to buy them ? Who thought that was a good idea ?

ALSO

Why is this happening?

This is part of the natural lifecycle for any product line as it becomes less used by consumers over time.
LOL

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
So I was reading about that and apparently some games have their DLCs sold through ingame stores but tied to progression so if you wanted to get all the DLCs for some games you'd to play them and then get far enough to buy them ? Who thought that was a good idea ?

ALSO

LOL
“Natural lifecycle” my ass. Sounds like a design flaw to me.

This is a problem Valve solved 18 years ago, since I can still buy games first available on Steam 18 years ago right now.

This is not rocket science.

Rogue Agent

Takes too damn long to finish games
Apr 4, 2019
In an ideal world, all these games would gradually be available on Switch. However, Nintendo is not known to be ideal when it comes to their back catalogue. Sadly, all we have right now are some (enhanced in some way or with extra content) ports of these games at a high price.

• Sad

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
The whole situation is so bad. I need to compile a list soon to remind myself what to get before the deadline.

Meanwhile, I made this thread (mostly for myself) haha. There seems to be a daily drip-feed of information so hopefully I will keep track of everything here.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018

Discussion half way through on the eshop shutdowns

Honestly, I think it's shameful that of a group of games journalists, half of them don't seem too fussed about this and the other 2 are completely uncritically accepting of this move.
I could scream that one of them actually said "I don't care about games preservation"

I don't own a 3DS or WiiU but I'm still incensed about this from the principle of it. If you're going to shut this stuff down then put alternatives in place.
But once again, consumer rights for digital goods remains completely pathetic.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
About this Nintendo shit, I must say I have sub-zero qualms about illegally downloading games from the past that are not legally available in any way (short of second hand market, which must be all sort of fucked in 2022).

• I want to buy this game !
  • We don't sell this game anymore.
  • Well, don't mind if I do, then.

It has been a hot minute since we left the 100% physical world of cartridges and the advent of the Internet. No fuck given for companies that haven't adapted.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Honestly, I think it's shameful that of a group of games journalists, half of them don't seem too fussed about this and the other 2 are completely uncritically accepting of this move.
I could scream that one of them actually said "I don't care about games preservation"
For some people it’s just a job. No more. No less. But it’s a really narrow minded take to have regardless.

About pirating a product that isn’t available in a way that benefits its copyright holder, in the eyes of Nintendo there is no functional distinction between piracy or buying a used copy so I don’t see an issue going either way, personally speaking.

I’m very certain that playing these games and keeping their memory alive is worth more to the actual people who toiled away making them than the company they did so under protecting the work from played “illegally”.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I hope everyone's been boycotting pretty much every company just the same as they all have TONS of now unavailable games in their history, from the arcades or previous consoles with the odd retro collection barely scratching the surface of what would be lost if not for piracy and emulation. Or is it not really about the principle of it all but just who has the most unavailable, with the company among the oldest a likely candidate? Just pirate what you want folks, no reason to try and justify it, it's always one thing or another, as if anyone was buying these games on the old systems rather than go meh, it's not available on a new system so I'll pirate it instead. The same way folks are pirating stuff that aren't available on their platform of choice, PC or otherwise, because hey, it's x company's fault for wanting to (not) sell (on) specific platforms. The same way others justify buying stolen or ripoff content because hey, the original is not yet available officially on my platform or in this way, so what am I to do? Even if there's actual pressure on Nintendo and they backpedal like Sony backpedaled (likely merely postponed) on PS3/Vita stores closing folks would still opt for the convenient way to play these games that doesn't require owning any device from the platform holder at all (or paying), if they want the content at all, which most don't, which is why old things are no longer supported, because the industry and more importantly the consumers themselves keep moving forward like time. Even on PC and even the best digital platforms games get delisted or official forward compatibility is no longer a thing with paradigm shifts like DOS > Windows > Command Line evolving out of DOS itself, deprecated DirectX versions, etc., it's just not as common but where's the outrage for the companies that still exist, whether original or reborn, for not patching all games for modern OS and platforms or releasing them on all the consoles to be fair to every consumer since it's apparently anti consumer to not sell stuff exactly how some want (like Nintendo going third party)? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Hope everyone's been boycotting pretty much every company just the same as they all have TONS of now unavailable games in their history, from the arcades or previous consoles. Or is it not the principle but just who has the most unavailable, with the company among the oldest a likely candidate?
No I'm mad about it all equally, I f**king want universal backwards compatability, and that consumer rights on digital goods is emboldened beyond this f**king nonsense of buying "licenses" While piracy is an option, quite frankly we shouldn't have to resort to this.

Nintendo = nuff said, just look at this week and the Wii store too
PlayStation = look at what happened with the PS3/Vita/PSP Store shutdown (mark my words they will try again) and the lack of BC for any of them
Xbox = the series X requires an internet connection to do basically anything, so it's a ticking DRM time bomb, and incredibly this is the best of the 3!!

I'm starting to sound like a paranoid old man in his bunker but this has just emboldened me that buying physical over digital where possible is the right thing to do. I only buy digital on PC, and on console for digital only games or where the physical copy is MUCH more expensive

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018
The problem with physical games is that in the age of Day 1 patches and DLCs (and I'm refering mostly to DLCs that add either story or new modes I'm not even counting cosmetics ones) the physical copy might as well be a diffent game.

It's funny that when I bought the new 3DS i was very skeptical of the eShop I remember telling a friend that I had 0 trust in nintendo online system and he laughed at me. True I only have 2 digital games, that didn't release in physical in the EU (AA5 and SMTIV). I should back them up considering how easy it's to do with a 3DS.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Not entirely unrelated: I wish there was a GOG equivalent for console games with clean rips and sharp scans of boxes and manuals.
Same.

You know how sometimes people complain that a port is too basic because its just a rom packaged with an emulator, that's a selling point to me provided the files are easy to access.

Reactions: beep boop

d00d3n

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I did not expect the Horizon Forbidden West tutorial to drag on for four-five hours until the open world gameplay begins. Is a bit disappointing compared to discovering magical augmented reality as child Aloy in the previous tutorial section. They really make an effort to properly introduce mecha snakes, though!