|OT| MetaConsole | Here we can talk about anything regarding consoles

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Disgusting practice, no matter the platform, this began with Starcraft 2, which had beta builds with LAN activated in select LAN prties, but instead opted to be always online, even on tournaments.

This was after a campaign of PR defending it and blaming pirates for the decision:

(yes, it still hurts)

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: TheTrain

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder if Microsoft puts future Activision/Blizzard games on Switch pro.

The Switch pro should be as powerful as Steam deck or in that ballpark at the least. So if Microsofts goal is to compete directly with Sony and make people leave the Sony ecosystem for the missing 3rd parties then it could be smart to support new Switch. They could also bypass negative press about monopolies and exclusivity talk. The new Switch should easily run new COD games at 720p or wtvr. So they put their games on Xbox consoles, Switch Pro, BNet, Gamepass, Steam etc and they won't lose out on much not releasing for PS5 this gen.

Pls sony do a big reveal of this soon :negative-blob:
PSVR came out in Oct 2016 so they will probably do something similar this time.

Reveal event in like August/July and then preorders etc for the Fall release.

The same reveal event will probably be their E3 alternative with the new games news etc.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I think about the $500 leaving my bank account and it grants me at least a little patience for a minute lol.
Ha with me it's more like the longer I have the money sitting around the more likely I am to do something dumb and unplanned with it.

PSVR came out in Oct 2016 so they will probably do something similar this time.

Reveal event in like August/July and then preorders etc for the Fall release.

The same reveal event will probably be their E3 alternative with the new games news etc.
Supposedly there are "insiders" who are saying there's meant to be a big event for it this spring to show off the headset and some games but we'll see. I feel like insiders nowadays are more unreliable than ever, particularly with sony stuff.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I read some non-spoilery impressions of Pokémon Legend Arceus. Many people are saying that it is a good game and a huge step forward for the franchise. Damn, it's so weird to see Pokémon fans being happy of a Pokémon game.

• Toucan
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I read some non-spoilery impressions of Pokémon Legend Arceus. Many people are saying that it is a good game and a huge step forward for the franchise. Damn, it's so weird to see Pokémon fans being happy of a Pokémon game.
I pretty much didn’t follow Arceus at all. Is it really Pokemon x Monster Hunter as it appears at first glance ?

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I pretty much didn’t follow Arceus at all. Is it really Pokemon x Monster Hunter as it appears at first glance ?
Yes, the gameplay loop is similar. Taking mission in the main hub, then go to an area and hunt for Pokémon to fill in the Pokedex. People are saying that the story is surprising good but the marketing is hiding every single bit of it. Likely intentional.

Edit

Last edited:
  • Hug

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Anyone played Arceus? I've been wondering if it's worth the 80 buckeroos and I'm trying not to spoil myself too much by reading reviews...

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Anyone played Arceus? I've been wondering if it's worth the 80 buckeroos and I'm trying not to spoil myself too much by reading reviews...
I've played it about five hours and just reached the second hub area. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not really open world, but there are several large hub areas ala SMT V (just looking at the status screen, I'm guessing there are 5). Exploration and catching are the main focus of the game with a secondary focus on battling. The combat is actually kinda difficult by Pokemon standards and I've had several dicey situations where I've almost died. My major complaints are that the game is ugly as sin and filling out Pokedex entries can be slightly tedious.

Reactions: pinson

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I've played it about five hours and just reached the second hub area. I'm enjoying it a lot. It's not really open world, but there are several large hub areas ala SMT V (just looking at the status screen, I'm guessing there are 5). Exploration and catching are the main focus of the game with a secondary focus on battling. The combat is actually kinda difficult by Pokemon standards and I've had several dicey situations where I've almost died. My major complaints are that the game is ugly as sin and filling out Pokedex entries can be slightly tedious.
Isn’t that a major part of the game though? 😅

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Isn’t that a major part of the game though? 😅
It is, but filling out the Pokedex entry consists of doing things like "catch X number of Pokemon", "defeat X number of Pokemon", "defeat X number of Pokemon with Y move" and so on. You only need 10 points to finish each Pokedex entry, but some Pokemon can be fairly rare so you'll run around a bit just waiting for them to respawn which is where the tedium can set in.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Thank you for the impressions. Might pick it up after I'm done with Sekiro.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
It's February. Hopefully we will see a Nintendo Direct soon. I need to know what Monolith Soft is working on.
I'm ready for some new Fire Emblem news. I know one leaker was talking about a new game in 2022 and a Genealogy remake next year. Hopefully they're correct.

• Gib
Reactions: Cacher

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I'm ready for some new Fire Emblem news. I know one leaker was talking about a new game in 2022 and a Genealogy remake next year. Hopefully they're correct.
That would be amazing. Never played it before, but I know many considered it being the best old-schooled Fire Emblem game. Interested to see how it get the Echo treatment.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
That would be amazing. Never played it before, but I know many considered it being the best old-schooled Fire Emblem game. Interested to see how it get the Echo treatment.
I haven't played FE4, but If it's anything like FE2 Echos, they'll simply put a new coat of paint on it and keep it mechanically the same, for better or worse.

I really wish Nintendo would rerelease the Tellius duology already. I played Path of Radiance, but never got around to Radiant Dawn and I'm too lazy to emulate. If Nintendo doesn't deliver I might just use Dolphin when I get my Steam Deck.

• This!

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

Arceus has sold 6.5 million copies in a week.
Holy moly, just surreal how easily they hit high numbers. I was kinda sorta interested in Arceus since it actually deviated from the usual gameplay loop, but I will definitely wait for a sale (which, with Nintendo means I might be able to get $15 dollars off two years from now :notlikethisblob:)

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Got a second hand copy of Metroid Dread and it seems a little temperamental?

Every few times I insert it it’ll come up with a message saying cart can’t be read. Reinserting it seems to fix it though. None of my other switch games do this

is this a worry? Looking on Reddit it seems this kind of thing isn’t that uncommon at times with carts?

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Check the back of the cartridge and see if the connectors are bent in any way. I had an issue with that with a rental copy of Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and I had to send it back. It also scared me off from buying used Switch games in the future so I guess Nintendo will get more of my money directly now. :evilblob:

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
If it's primarily 1H stuff, I'm guessing it'll be focused more on already announced games like Splatoon 3 and Advance Wars. Xenoblade 3 could very well be the final announcement though.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
If it's primarily 1H stuff, I'm guessing it'll be focused more on already announced games like Splatoon 3 and Advance Wars. Xenoblade 3 could very well be the final announcement though.
Another safe guess would be no Zelda. :unsure:

Maybe we will see Silksong? That game has been MIA for years but show up in the Nvidia leak.

Reactions: 「Echo」

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I would like Fire Emblem or Xeno 3 news also... 😅

And hopefully Advance Wars does get dated. I pre-ordered that and it kinda just poofed off the Radar. But I kept my pre-order... just waiting on like... any news at all lol.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Part of me thinks we might see Final Fantasy Tactics Remastered. It was part of the Nvidia leak and some new FFT figures were announced several days ago. Of course it might be too early since it would take the wind out of Triangle Strategy's sails. Also Shigesato Itoi tweeted about the Direct:

I assume it's something mundane like Earthbound on Nintendo Switch Online, but I'd love for it to be something more.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
There technically was a new Fire Emblem game announced. :crying-face:

Overall a pretty underwhelming Direct. Xenoblade 3 looks great though. Also the Mario Kart DLC is getting added to the NSO expansion pass so I might be tempted to subscribe for that since I would have bought it anyway.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I still feel the emotion rush towards Xenoblade 3 after a few hours. I am that happy towards this announcement.

SQEX stuff (outside Kingdom Heart Cloud) are excellent as well. I was expecting the come back of Live A Live but didn't expect it to be a full HD2D remake. It looks sick!

Sucks that there is no Fire Emblem news. But I feel like a new one is very close. Also I can totally see Kirby selling over 10 million. It is salient that so much heart and effort is being put into that game.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Need to watch this direct to reevaluate the need to buy a switch.

Dec 5, 2018
That xenoblade gif looks cool. There might be enough games now for me to justify a switch purchase.

As I said in the Emulation thread I was hunting an OG switch for a reasonable price, but doesn't really seems like an option. I wanted one so I could rip my own games.

But I might just get a newer model and then decide where to play each game.
And get the copies from maybe questionable sites after that if I chose the emulator.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
It's my opinion only, but my Switch purchase was easily justified by Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade 2. Both are masterpiece in their own way, spent 200 hours on the former and 300 hours on the latter. I also fully expect another playthrough on them very soon.

If you don't want to get the hardware, I would say just buy the game and play it in your own way. (blink blink) Meanwhile... I am tempted to sell my old one and get an OLED now haha.

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Buying the games and emulating may be the only option anyway. 2022 continuing the proud 2019-2021 tradition of no stock.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
The Fire Emblem news is a real stab in the back. Especially because Hyrule Warriors performed like a slideshow at points. So it's hard to be excited for this...

But pretty much everything else was really good. Excited for Front Mission remasters, Xeno 3 looks good, and yes of course LiveALive remake.