Community MetaCouncil Co-op Corner

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Since no one else appears to have played the game yet, if you do show up, we'll be easy pickings. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Rofl, this so much (and that’s without speaking about Blind general high skill level in our meet ups). I keep telling myself I should at least launch it to understand how it plays, but it really screams multiplayer so much that I have yet to conjure up the will.

Deleted member 113

Rofl, this so much (and that’s without speaking about Blind general high skill level in our meet ups). I keep telling myself I should at least launch it to understand how it plays, but it really screams multiplayer so much that I have yet to conjure up the will.
I haven't even launched the game. Not even to change the settings. :giggle:

It should be fun... :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Since no one else appears to have played the game yet, if you do show up, we'll be easy pickings. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Rofl, this so much (and that’s without speaking about Blind general high skill level in our meet ups).
Haha! I don't know about all of that. My specialty is mirror levels and getting extremely lucky when playing as Jason. :LOL:

All you really need to remember with Duck Game is that there's a quack button and a quack modifier that changes the pitch of the quack. But you're saying, "Wait, there's weapons, right?" Yep! But there's also a quack button. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

And since I haven't had the chance to do so yet, thank you all for the support you've given me here! I wouldn't say I've worked through everything yet, still going to be a little longer, but I'm doing much better. I will say that getting more than three hours of sleep a night works wonders.. who knew? :lampblob:

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Meant to pop back in here earlier to thank everyone for giving me the chance to play some Duck Game today. Wish I could have stuck around longer, but the time I was able to spend was incredible! :cat-heart-blob:

It's such a mess of a game (in a good way), where if something can go wrong it most definitely will! I can't even begin to count the times I blew myself up. Having the chance to play that with some friends instead of random people only made it better. Helped me remember what I love about that game so much, just the chaos of it all. :LOL:

There's also some ideas I'd like to share in regards to our community events that I'll try to put together into a post tomorrow. If it seems like a big hit then we'll give it a shot a few times and see if it will work long term. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Pfff, nothing to add, it was just great :cuteblob:
I was so pleasantly surprised by how many people came today ! Duck Game ! Kopanito ! And as a dessert, a two player playthrough of Final Fight with FunktionJCB , like two old grognards.

We need to work on two things. Establishing a list of games to fall back to if we are too few or too many (but that may come naturally as we try games), and find the holy grail, 8 player games.

And we need to crowdfund Power Stone 3. Seriously, Sega !

Echoes

"My destiny is to continue fighting"
Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Another successful session :blobcheer:

It was a very funny night, even splitting the players worked without a hitch. At one point I realised it was 2.25 already :p Time flies when you have fun with friends.

As a final note, FunktionJCB and Li Kao proposed very interesting things at the end of the session. Let's see if we can do it again next week ;)

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Hey! Got those ideas put together, hopefully it will end up working out better for our events and folks won't feel obligated that they have to join or do a bunch of other things just to take part.

The idea for voting for games was a bit of an overcorrection on my part after I jumped the gun on our very first poll. I wanted to give folks a better chance for their recommendation to shine. In the end it became a little convoluted.

So we'll be doing away with the voting and the sign up sheet. Instead we'll be going with a variety event going forward, at least to test out. We'll try to get a collection of a handful of games that we can try out together. If we have a game that allows for a lot of players and/or a lot of us have we'll probably start with that first if there's enough folks on at that time.

While having a big event centered around one game is awesome, I feel that our assorted game sessions have arguably been a bigger hit! I know I personally have had a ton of fun during each one and have discovered a few great co-op games I didn't know about or had forgotten about. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

But now that means we need to come up with how often we'll hold these events, whether they're weekly or every other week. Both have their positives and negatives and either works for me. I'm pretty confident that we could make either work well!

And of course we'll have to find a day and time that works best. Fridays and Saturdays seem to have been our best bets so far and around 21:00 GMT+1 as mentioned previously. Though again, if we can make Saturdays the day for these events we could move that time ahead a little bit to make it a little easier.

Let me know what you all think and we can make a few adjustments here or there if needed! Got a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun going forward! :blobcheer:

Edit: Oh no! I totally forgot to mention that it was both Funktion and Li Kao that inspired a lot of these ideas. I read over this twice before posting and still forgot to put it in the post originally. :LOL:

Thank you both! :cat-heart-blob:

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I’m looking at 4+ player games, but the choice is admittedly far more limited.
We should take into account that it’s for playing with friends though. There are games that I wouldn’t touch with randos that could be fun with good peeps.

Coop wise I found:
Alien Swarm Reactive Drop (free)
Doom 3 open coop mod

And other things like:
Arma 3 coop ?
Destiny 2
Gears 4 or 5
God Eater 3
Gta V
Humans Fall Flat
Killing Floor 1 or 2
Ark
Starbound or Terraria ?
No man sky ?
Path of Exiles

Not coop I saw:
Chaos Reborn ??
Civilization with or without red death mode
Dota 2 or LOL or Smite
Forza 4
Mordhau
Overwatch
R6 siege
Team Fortress 2
The Division 2
Age of Empire games
Dawn of War games
Garry’s Mod

Like I said, not that vast a choice, with games we maybe wouldn’t think about at first. But there is some potential.

Echoes

Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
Hey! Got those ideas put together, hopefully it will end up working out better for our events and folks won't feel obligated that they have to join or do a bunch of other things just to take part.

The idea for voting for games was a bit of an overcorrection on my part after I jumped the gun on our very first poll. I wanted to give folks a better chance for their recommendation to shine. In the end it became a little convoluted.

So we'll be doing away with the voting and the sign up sheet. Instead we'll be going with a variety event going forward, at least to test out. We'll try to get a collection of a handful of games that we can try out together. If we have a game that allows for a lot of players and/or a lot of us have we'll probably start with that first if there's enough folks on at that time.

While having a big event centered around one game is awesome, I feel that our assorted game sessions have arguably been a bigger hit! I know I personally have had a ton of fun during each one and have discovered a few great co-op games I didn't know about or had forgotten about. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

But now that means we need to come up with how often we'll hold these events, whether they're weekly or every other week. Both have their positives and negatives and either works for me. I'm pretty confident that we could make either work well!

And of course we'll have to find a day and time that works best. Fridays and Saturdays seem to have been our best bets so far and around 21:00 GMT+1 as mentioned previously. Though again, if we can make Saturdays the day for these events we could move that time ahead a little bit to make it a little easier.

Let me know what you all think and we can make a few adjustments here or there if needed! Got a feeling this is going to be a lot of fun going forward! :blobcheer:

Edit: Oh no! I totally forgot to mention that it was both Funktion and Li Kao that inspired a lot of these ideas. I read over this twice before posting and still forgot to put it in the post originally. :LOL:

Thank you both! :cat-heart-blob:
Great post summarising all the proposals. I think that this method will work well for our group, it will make weekly events easier to organise. We can bring back Renegade Ops, Helldivers and Gauntlet plus a game that can hold more people. After some rounds all together we can make teams to tackle the campaigns of those different games. My two cents ;)

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
I’m looking at 4+ player games, but the choice is admittedly far more limited.
We should take into account that it’s for playing with friends though. There are games that I wouldn’t touch with randos that could be fun with good peeps.

Like I said, not that vast a choice, with games we maybe wouldn’t think about at first. But there is some potential.
A lot of great choices there and ones I'll make sure to get added to our list of co-op games if they're not on there yet! I'll also take a look at everything on the list and do a little organizing. :thumbsupblob:

I'll try to add a bunch more as well. Co-Optimus is a huge help and I'll most likely start there, but I'll still do a little searching around myself to see if there's any hidden gems to uncover that they might have missed.

Great post summarising all the proposals. I think that this method will work well for our group, it will make weekly events easier to organise. We can bring back Renegade Ops, Helldivers and Gauntlet plus a game that can hold more people. After some rounds all together we can make teams to tackle the campaigns of those different games. My two cents ;)
Thanks! I agree, I think in the long run this will be a better solution. Gives folks a chance to try some new stuff or co-op games they've been sitting on for a while and haven't found the right group for yet. I know I've got some of those in my backlog for sure!

Yep! It would be great to get back to those you mentioned! And I make a promise to try to sneak some more Duck Game in there from time to time. :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Reactions: Echoes and lashman
OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Did the UT2004 event happen? I have that game on GOG, not sure how I'd even go about with playing against Steam players.
Not yet! Chances are it will end up headlining one of our newly structured events. So keep an eye on the thread or Discord and I'll make sure to keep folks updated.

Also I believe the game should feature the same server browser no matter where you own it.. at least I hope so. So there's a pretty good chance you'll still be able to join us if you like. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Hey everyone! Are we all set to give it a go tomorrow or Saturday for our event or should we try doing them every other week? And if it works for folks I figure we can stick with our usual time and maybe adjust it an hour here or there after a few events if needed. :highfiveblob:

Really looking forward to testing this all out. Should be a really fun time as always!

Deleted member 113

Hey everyone! Are we all set to give it a go tomorrow or Saturday for our event or should we try doing them every other week? And if it works for folks I figure we can stick with our usual time and maybe adjust it an hour here or there after a few events if needed. :highfiveblob:

Really looking forward to testing this all out. Should be a really fun time as always!
Fine by me. ;)

I'm hoping to hear what games everyone may want to try, so I can keep them installed.

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
So happy to see we'll have the co-op gang back together! Hopefully we'll get some new faces to show up too! :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Also if you haven't checked it in a while I did get around to updating the Google Sheet that has all of the info for different games. Added a bunch of the ones Li Kao recommended, separated co-op games into two tabs depending on player limits (2-4 in one and 4+ the other) and added a bunch of other new ones myself.

I made a brief edit to the OP recently where I gave a rundown of the changes to our event structure so folks know what's going on and I'll work on getting it updated with the event time and day too, might even work on a special banner or image for it! :artistblob:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
By the way, I think it was Echoes who suggested Rocket League the last time we played.
It's one of the games I alluded to when speaking about things you wouldn't think of but could work. I mean I have a total of one evening in RL, I don't give a fuck about it. But with friends, it could be some fun times.

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Just came back from a look at the OP, you do a great job, as always :awwblob:
Thank you! :cat-heart-blob:

As someone who has pretty much no artistic talent I'm weirdly inspired and excited to get something created soon to commemorate our new events.

By the way, I think it was Echoes who suggested Rocket League the last time we played.
It's one of the games I alluded to when speaking about things you wouldn't think of but could work. I mean I have a total of one evening in RL, I don't give a fuck about it. But with friends, it could be some fun times.
Agreed! I've tried RL on a few occasions and it just never really clicked with me.. which was always a bummer because I had a friend that adored the game. It was mostly how angry and aggressive some of the other players could be that put me off, not so much the game itself. So yeah, having the chance to play with everyone here should be a great time!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
As someone who has pretty much no artistic talent I'm weirdly inspired and excited to get something created soon to commemorate our new events.
Yeah, creating something, even anecdotal, feels great. All the more when it includes other people.

It was mostly how angry and aggressive some of the other players could be that put me off, not so much the game itself.
This ! :highfiveblob:

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Welcome to pretty much every MP-oriented title currently available. ;)

That's one of the main reasons I'm pretty much a SP-only gamer (outside of the games we play in our sessions).
Haha! You're not wrong. It's why I always turn off chat immediately nowadays when I play anything online. I still have a soft spot for some competitive shooters, the Battlefield series especially.

Though admittedly it has caused me to avoid Apex Legends almost completely. I love the Titanfall series, even the online part, but being forced into a group with two other random folks that you need to communicate with is not something I'm looking for. The ping system helps, but playing with friends would be far better. Or a solo mode, which I get kind of defeats the purpose of the game. :LOL:
I probably won't be joining this week, but I should be free next week! :steam_pig_grinning:
No worries! Looking forward to having you back next week! :highfiveblob:

Deleted member 113

blindrhythm I used to play online games, at least occasionally (mostly with friends). Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, Diablo, (...).
Heck, I even played Half-Life Deathmatch (anyone remembers the MP of the game, before Valve bought the mods CS and TF?).

Team Fortress (in a later phase) was the game that marked "the end" for me.
I used to play the game and have fun. You would get to some servers, know most people from previous sessions, it was fun, and chill.

But, a few years later, when the internet started to become even more prevalent, and MP games as well, the experience change drastically, and I stopped playing. I didn't have the patience to deal with idiots, especially ones with a microphone.

TF is supposed to be a team game. I always played so that the team could score, and win. I frequently did stuff to drawn out attention from the enemy team, or to protect team members, so that they could score. I frequently got killed a lot more than I killed people, because of that.

But, in later years, it was a disaster. One of the experiences I have in my memory is of a team member who got killed inches away from scoring. The flag went down, in our base, next to the "goal". The enemy team was trying to return it, and I managed to quickly grab it, and score.
That should have been a good thing, right? Especially since we were losing. Wrong. That team member who got killed spent the next hour following me and insulting me, because since he did most of the work (and he indeed did), I shouldn't have scored. I should have let the enemy team return the flag, and lose the match, instead of scoring myself. o_O

Yeah, I don't get some people. Sadly, it's very frequent in most MP games.

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Oh I definitely get where you're coming from! I've been called just about every slur imaginable in just about every game I've played or still play. Or just yelled at for no reason.

Turning off all chat, both text and voice, is the only thing that allows me to still play them. And that's not me saying that's what everyone should do or that the problem should be ignored as a whole.. it's a mess now and like you I miss the old days when I could kick butt in a Starsiege Tribes match and not be harassed endlessly.

I would give anything to have that back.. sadly it's probably not going to happen during the time I'm still able to play games. :crying-face:

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

I would give anything to have that back.. sadly it's probably not going to happen during the time I'm still able to play games. :crying-face:
We'll, we always have the Meta Gang... ;)

The only yelling happening was me last week in Kopanito, every time EdwardTivrusky ran into our own goal. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Be thankful I don't have a microphone!

As you may have probably noticed, EdwardTivrusky, my idea of a joke is repeating the same thing over and over. :giggle:
Don't mind me. ;)

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Oheao

Jun 29, 2019
Has anyone here played Deathmatch Classic? Surprisingly it's completely dead considering it's a Valve game that is frequently next to nothing in price.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I don't think i ever played Deathmatch Classic or know anyone who did or still does so it was never on my radar.

Deleted member 113

Has anyone here played Deathmatch Classic? Surprisingly it's completely dead considering it's a Valve game that is frequently next to nothing in price.
I don't think i ever played Deathmatch Classic or know anyone who did or still does so it was never on my radar.
I played a couple of matches, when it launched. I barely remember anything about it.
Basically, it was an attempt to bring Quake MP to Half-Life. The weapons and look made it extremely obvious.
It... was perfectly forgettable.

I believe the "game" (which was originally available as a mod to HL, before Valve launched Steam) started out as a community mod, like CS and TF.

If I wanted to play Quake MP, I would play Quake MP.
Half-Life Deathmatch at least had a few interesting weapons.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

blindrhythm Sorry, I didn't understand: are we playing today or tomorrow?

I have installed from past sessions:
-Duck Game
-Gauntlet
-Helldivers
-Kopanito

Anything else I should install (someone mentioned Rocket League)?
I don't have much space left, but do let me know what I need to get ready. ;)

Reactions: Echoes and lashman

Deleted member 113

I’m sorry friends but I fear I will have to pass after all. Between sleep being super random, low moral and money issues, I feel really tired tonight. What I would give for a full night sleep.
I feel horrible now, please excuse me.
Rest, my friend. :cat-heart-blob:

We'll have plenty of opportunities some other time. ;)

Echoes

Oct 31, 2018
Castelló, Spain
I’m sorry friends but I fear I will have to pass after all. Between sleep being super random, low moral and money issues, I feel really tired tonight. What I would give for a full night sleep.
Get some quality rest, there are more sessions coming ;)

-Duck Game
-Gauntlet
-Helldivers
-Kopanito

We can try tonight, I am available :p

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019

-Duck Game
-Gauntlet
-Helldivers
-Kopanito

Oh, no need to apologize. It's my bad, I updated the OP again at an awkward time and didn't have the chance to update everyone yet.

But yep we'll be starting in just about 30 minutes. Fridays seem to work best for most folks, of course having the option to push it back to Saturday if ever needed is also a nice bonus. :)

And I can't think of too many others to install off the top of my head. I still need to get Rocket League installed too if we give that a shot.

No worries at all! You focus on getting better. We're not going anywhere nor are these events, so don't feel you have to rush it. :cat-heart-blob:

OP
PossiblyPudding

PossiblyPudding

Apr 17, 2019
Thanks for another night well spent playing co-op games, blindrhythm and Echoes . :highfiveblob:

See you next time!
Always great getting together with you all! Already looking forward to the next one. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Eventually we're going to have such a huge pool of games that no matter who shows up we'll always have something to play so that no one will ever feel left out. :cat-heart-blob: