Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Valve already prepared for this, any EU country have been able to activate keys for any other EU country for while now. (1-2 years, sometime after that investigation began).

You can even activate older RU keys that include Estonia.

So I guess it will change nothing.
Well, i want to be able to buy in other eu steam stores without having to fuck around or that my wallet money is locked despite being one currency. Because, as far as i know, thats my right under the EU. Example right now i had to deal with: Living most of the year in Austria (despite being dual citizen AT/IT) my Steam store is locked out the uncensored versions of every Bethesda Wolfenstein. That's entirely on Bethesda, the game is set up to be this way even buy and run restrictions are only set up for Germany and Saudi Arabia. It's because Bethesda Germany does the publishing for the German speaking countries (that includes AT) and it' good for them (Beth Germany) from a business perspective I guess?

Anyway, I should just be able to switch to the Italien (or, hell, Spanish) Steam store and buy it there. Because that's my right as a EU citizen. But no, I have to VPN in or wait until I'm back in Italy, Then they lock my Euro wallet in another Euro country so I can't use it. And all that is officially against TOS. Even as a dual citizen and a EU citizen. Fuck that.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ah. True, I thought that means it's mostly staff that owns the shares but I guess yeah, Tencent could own Steam (omg!) >_>

Deleted member 113

Surprise!
Pathway, one of my most wanted games for 2019, launches... next week!

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
Surprise!
Pathway, one of my most wanted games for 2019, launches... next week!

It looks magnificent.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I've learned to stay away from Era as much as possible due to the fact there's so much that gets under my skin. However, I will jump in a pro-Epic thread just to giggle from time to time. It's so wild how many people are so opinionated, knowledgeable, and passionate when I never even see them in the PC thread. I also cannot stomach ever aspect of every thread having to go back to politics. 99.9% of this forum is about people have that a common hobby: vidja games.

Octopath Traveler. PC? Cool!

Oh, going back to Epic: TODAY IS THE DAY WE GET OUR HUMBLE EGS KEYS~!
You know, I wouldn't mind a normal (not monthly) EGS bundle. Not to buy it of course, but I'd like to see sales numbers. Humble still tracks the number of bundles sold, right?

People really do have a short term memory:

Yup. There is no reason to trust these people. Mind if use this on Era?

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
You know, I wouldn't mind a normal (not monthly) EGS bundle. Not to buy it of course, but I'd like to see sales numbers. Humble still tracks the number of bundles sold, right?
Yep.
But watch Sweeney buy 100k of them himself so that he can say EGS is really popular.

Reactions: Alexandros

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Earlier today, the European Commission ("EC") sent Statements of Objections ("SO") to Valve and five publishers in an investigation that it started in 2013. The EC alleges that the five publishers entered into agreements with their distributors that included geo-blocking provisions for PC games sold by the distributors, and that separately Valve entered into agreements with the same publishers that prevented consumers in the European Economic Area ("EEA") from purchasing PC games because of their location.
However, the EC's charges do not relate to the sale of PC games on Steam - Valve's PC gaming service. Instead the EC alleges that Valve enabled geo-blocking by providing Steam activation keys and - upon the publishers' request - locking those keys to particular territories ("region locks") within the EEA. Such keys allow a customer to activate and play a game on Steam when the user has purchased it from a third-party reseller. Valve provides Steam activation keys free of charge and does not receive any share of the purchase price when a game is sold by third-party resellers (such as a retailer or other online store).
The region locks only applied to a small number of game titles. Approximately just 3% of all games using Steam (and none of Valve's own games) at the time were subject to the contested region locks in the EEA. Valve believes that the EC's extension of liability to a platform provider in these circumstances is not supported by applicable law. Nonetheless, because of the EC's concerns, Valve actually turned off region locks within the EEA starting in 2015, unless those region locks were necessary for local legal requirements (such as German content laws) or geographic limits on where the Steam partner is licensed to distribute a game. The elimination of region locks will also mean that publishers will likely raise prices in less affluent regions to avoid price arbitrage. There are no costs involved in sending activation keys from one country to another and the activation key is all a user needs to activate and play a PC game.
thx. SteamDB.

Deleted member 113

On Chrono, I only have points for one of the games.

Any impressions on Shift Quantum and TERRORHYTHM?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

Red Dead Redemption 2 is a game that a lot of PC gamers have been looking forward to. Rockstar has not announced anything yet, however, it’s almost certain that this third-person title will find its way on the PC. Still, and according to a rumour that surfaced recently, its PC release may dishearten those that boycott the Epic Games Store.

Now before continuing, note that this leak originates from 4Chan, therefore this could be fake so we strongly suggest taking it with a grain of salt. However, and the reason why we’re publishing this, the 4Chan Borderlands 3 leak was spot on so this could very well be true after all.

So, according to the leak, Red Dead Redemption 2 will be announced for the PC on April 22nd, and will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Not only that, but the game will target a July 19th release.

It’s worth pointing out that Take Two has already signed up a deal with Epic Games for releasing Borderlands 3 as a timed-exclusive on the Epic Games Store. However, it is said that Red Dead Redemption 2 will be permanently exclusive on Epic Games Store and not timed-exclusive.

The leaker claimed that Epic Games and Take-Two have signed a deal that will give the publisher full profit on any DLC that’s released for the game’s PC version.

Again, we strongly suggest taking everything you’ve read with a grain of salt. We’ll be sure to keep you posted about this rumour (and we’ll update this story in case Take-Two debunks these PC rumours) so stay tuned for more!

Reactions: Milena

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
4chan Borderlands 3 leak was stolen though. And it's anonymous board, so anyone can post any shit.

Also I think it would likely be EGS/Social Club co-exclusive at least though, that seems very likely option, if RDR2 port is happening any time soon. (akin to uplay).

But how long exclusivity can EGS afford to pay for?

Reactions: Milena and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
4chan Borderlands 3 leak was stolen though. And it's anonymous board, so anyone can post any shit.

Also I think it would likely be EGS/Social Club co-exclusive at least though, that seems very likely option, if RDR2 port is happening any time soon. (akin to uplay).

the leak says permanent ... and honestly i could see it happening - rockstar does milk people on their online modes after all

just like ubi probably isn't coming back to steam after 1 year either

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
the leak says permanent ... and honestly i could see it happening - rockstar does milk people on their online modes after all

just like ubi probably isn't coming back to steam after 1 year either
Didn't Tim Sweeney say they wouldn't do longer exclusives than 12 months?

I guess that makes it more true, Sweeney can't stop lying. :p

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

One week?

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Didn't Tim Sweeney say they wouldn't do longer exclusives than 12 months?

I guess that makes it more true, Sweeney can't stop lying. :p
that too ... but technically he wasn't lying (yet) ... all those devs and publishers will be allowed to release those games elsewhere after 12 months ... but that doesn't mean they definitely will do it

especially publishers like ubi who wanted to leave steam anyway ... and since those "exclusives" seem to mainly be moving people towards udontplay - i don't think they'll be coming back

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Enjoy the month long break!
We've paused your Humble Monthly subscription and have sent a confirmation e-mail.

Over the next month, while your subscription is paused, you will not receive the May 2019 Humble Monthly or receive 10% off Humble Store purchases.

Your subscription is currently scheduled to be unpaused on May 3, 2019. If you remain paused, you will not receive content for the May 2019 Humble Monthly (Assassin's Creed® Origins). If you'd like to unpause it sooner, you can do so at any time to ensure you'll get next month's games and resume your 10% store discount.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Dunno why I'm wasting my time, but wtf is this article?
It's hardly new in the tech space as Chinese companies like Huawei are regularly cited as selling unsafe hardware which the Chinese government can spy in on.
Huawei literally sold devices with malware installed that could listen to calls, track users and even make purchases, and then claimed it happened somewhere down the supply chain outside of their control.

Four major anglophone countries (AUS, CAN, NZ, USA) have all declared Huawei telecom products to be security risks, and three of those four have actually banned the products in some regard. It's not like distrust of Chinese corporate ventures is some fringe conspiracy.
Anti-Chinese sentiments have deeper roots in the video game community too, as Chinese players are often associated with industries like gold farming in online MMORPGs like World of WarCraft and hacking. That's not to say hacking and gold farming aren't realities in China, but rather the current climate in politics and entertainment regarding China have been intersecting for some time.
Is it xenophobic when people talk about rampant piracy in Latin/South America or Eastern Europe?

I suppose it can be at times, sure. But in general, no, because it's not just "reality" it's a normalized behavior for a significant part of the gaming population there. CD Projekt famously started its life as a literal piracy outlet, selling cracked copies of Western games to Polish gamers, taking advantage of lax copyright laws. Pointing that out is not being "anti-Polish," and trust me, I can give you plenty examples of actual anti-Polish behavior.

There's a legitimate reason that online communities, like say PUBG, frequently want to have the Chinese users quarantined into their own servers. Because again, cheating and hacking are normalized behaviors for a significant part of the population in China. Maybe the stories were all bull, but I'm reminded of those stories from a few years ago about Chinese investigators trying to stop Gaokao (college exam) cheating where there were claims such as students/parents rioting while yelling "We want fairness. There is no fairness if you do not let us cheat."

It's not xenophobic to point out when a society has some kind of issue. A Canadian is not xenophobic for pointing out that China has an issue with cheating or government collaboration. A Belgian is not xenophobic for pointing out that Russia once had (and still has to a very large extent) an issue with software piracy and hacking. An American is not xenophobic for pointing out that Brazil is home to a significant piracy problem.

Now, you would be xenophobic and racist if you're attributing those piracy issues to some kind of societal moral failing or worse, some pseudo-genetic destiny. But if you're pointing out "Russia has a piracy issue, and by the way it exists because [insert long political-socioeconomic history since the fall of the tzar here]," then I don't see anything wrong with such an idea.

Even more importantly, in this case, we're dealing with people having an issue with a corporate entity, not with people at an individual level. It is not "anti-Chinese" sentiment to be anti-PRC or anti-Chinese-corporations-that-collaborate-with-the-PRC.

This kind of claim, associating general bigotry with dislike of governmental policies is like straight out of the goddamn playbook of a certain lobbying group in the USA (coughAIPACcough).

But to assert that Epic Games is a front for espionage at the behest of the Chinese government has troubling roots, and a poor foundation built on paranoia and xenophobia.
What are the troubling roots? The chain of thought works like this:

Tencent is a major investor in Epic -> Tencent is a known collaborator with a repressive, authoritarian state in the PRC, notably working with them to demo early versions of the Social Credit System -> Therefore anything Tencent has investment into should be treated with caution.

Where is the xenophobia in not wanting to deal with a company that is literally part of China's plans to conduct mass surveillance on a scale no government has ever done before?

I will say, the Tencent issue is largely a red herring that I wish people would stop worrying about. There's currently little proof that Tencent does much to influence the various Western companies it invests into. For once, I think Sterling got the message right today:

I'm less worried about them reporting info directly back to the PRC right now, and more worried about them becoming the tech/gaming equivalent of Disney, buying and owning everything, driving us further towards a dystopian future where a handful of corporations control everything.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Enjoy the month long break!
We've paused your Humble Monthly subscription and have sent a confirmation e-mail.

Over the next month, while your subscription is paused, you will not receive the May 2019 Humble Monthly or receive 10% off Humble Store purchases.

Your subscription is currently scheduled to be unpaused on May 3, 2019. If you remain paused, you will not receive content for the May 2019 Humble Monthly (Assassin's Creed® Origins). If you'd like to unpause it sooner, you can do so at any time to ensure you'll get next month's games and resume your 10% store discount.
Same.

Dec 5, 2018
So, according to the leak, Red Dead Redemption 2 will be announced for the PC on April 22nd, and will be exclusive to the Epic Games Store. Not only that, but the game will target a July 19th releas
That feels like a very short timeframe between the announcement and the release.

The leaker claimed that Epic Games and Take-Two have signed a deal that will give the publisher full profit on any DLC that’s released for the game’s PC version.
That seems too good a deal to be true.
===
Well it looks like I'm pausing this month.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I decided I'm getting a new TV today. Sony X900F (55-inch version.) It's panel refreshes at 120hz, and I always use my TV as computer monitor.... but HDMI 2.0b can't do 4K 120fps huh? I dunno the native refresh rate of Windows, and my 1080ti can't really do 4K beyond 60FPS in most modern games anyway... but this thing will still work as a monitor right?
Not sure if you already committed or not, but as far as I can see that TV does not have a 120hz refresh rate, it has 60hz and supports the dumb motion smoothing 120hz thing that all TVs come with now. Almost no TVs have actual 120hz rates, it's insanely expensive at high resolutions (for monitor-size screens you're looking at close to $1,000) and I'm not sure there's even any monitors yet that are 4k and 120hz. 1440p and high refresh seems to be the sweet spot right now for monitors.

Reactions: 「Echo」

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
I paused the subscription to Humble Monthly. It's the first time that I've done it since I started it in 2017. I just don't care about AC games unless I'm able to get them for free or part of a service that is essential like Xbox Live.

And yikes at that article and the tweets by journalists. They continue with the shitty takes. I'm just glad that I'm temp banned on era and don't bother reading the Epic threads there.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

Not sure if you already committed or not, but as far as I can see that TV does not have a 120hz refresh rate, it has 60hz and supports the dumb motion smoothing 120hz thing that all TVs come with now. Almost no TVs have actual 120hz rates, it's insanely expensive at high resolutions (for monitor-size screens you're looking at close to $1,000) and I'm not sure there's even any monitors yet that are 4k and 120hz. 1440p and high refresh seems to be the sweet spot right now for monitors.
According to Sony X900F Review (XBR49X900F, XBR55X900F, XBR65X900F, XBR75X900F, XBR85X900F) it has a native 120Hz panel.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Legit misread this as Rapelay.

I have 2 additions/nitpicks to your Epix-doc Hektor :

1. In the Third-Party Authorized Resellers sections: Not all take 30%.
  2. The Epic Launcher does not work on Linux, as such any exclusives can not be played on Linux systems, even if the game had a working Linux version ready or announced before the moneyhat.
You're absolutely right, the Linux part was actually on my to-do list, wonder why i forgot it.

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
I always found weird that not a lot of people were worried about their expansion.

Their refund system is perfect come on you can attack a lot of the store but not that.
I mean that whole tweet was stupid but that part just took the cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.