Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Wazzup everyone!
I'm here now as well!

I recently started to download my entire GOG library, and I've been feeling up for playing some older classic that I've never finished like Planescape Torment, Divine Divinity, Arcanum or Thief 3. But it's hard to decide!

... And I just realized this is the STEAM-community.... Uh-oh.... 😉

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Wazzup everyone!
I'm here now as well!

I recently started to download my entire GOG library, and I've been feeling up for playing some older classic that I've never finished like Planescape Torment, Divine Divinity, Arcanum or Thief 3. But it's hard to decide!

We like GOG as well, don't worry.
(Some of us even like Origin and Uplay)

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I did something I haven't done before, I went and changed one of my Steam reviews from positive to negative. This was for Dead Cells. The foundation of the game is still great, but... they absolutely suck at designing difficulty and the principles of Metroidvanias / roguelikes. Going past even the default difficulty eliminates most options for playstyles, and going to the 3rd+ setting basically turns it into a game you don't engage with, you just run past enemies, try to grab stat scrolls, and get to the bosses. The gameplay videos at high difficulties are a joke, it's all running or cheese using 1 or 2 specific builds depending what you find or set the custom setting to. But, you can only unlock and see parts of the game at higher settings - so it simultaneously cuts off huge chunks of the game from you, and opens up other things you'd probably rather do on a lower setting in a more fun way.

I can beat it on the base difficulty with tons of variety of items, builds, etc. but even one step up in difficulty and I suddenly have to play incredibly slowly, ignore most of the unlocks, go for certain builds instead of whatever I can piece together, and there's FOUR MORE settings past that which each add tons of new tedious punishments for playing.

It's a shame, because again, the base level of the game is pretty fucking great, it's just terrible once you try to see the rest of it.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Fallout 3 was the first Fallout game I played!XD Not sure why I never played them back in the day. BUT I have played Wasteland 2 and the new Shadowrun games and liked them just fine, is it similar to those?
It's more akin to Wasteland 2 than Shadowrun games, but still different in some ways. The main highlight of Fallout and Atom is free player agency, you can basically kill everyone and side with anyone you want.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I think the problem on Era is, that there is no-one who holds the Flag for PC Gaming in the moderation Team who has the muscle and clout to go against the Console and OT focussed Mods/admins. No-one like Stumpokapow.

PC threads: If you want to defend your hobby from trolls and "concerned questioners" you are risking your account
Console threads: Even just mentioning that Company X hadn't ruled out a PC release will net you a ban.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
It's more akin to Wasteland 2 than Shadowrun games, but still different in some ways. The main highlight of Fallout and Atom is free player agency, you can basically kill everyone and side with anyone you want.
Ah yeah that sounds good! Wishlisted! Have to wait for a sale.

I just realised that I have Battle Chasers! I got the impression that people weren't too keen on it?

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Please don't take this the wrong way but you might want to delete the link to his account. I believe was was being harassed due to being a mod at GAF and wanted a bit of a fresh start hence the change of name and scrubbing most of his friends list. If stump wants to post it, that's cool.

Ah yeah that sounds good! Wishlisted! Have to wait for a sale.

I just realised that I have Battle Chasers! I got the impression that people weren't too keen on it?
I wanted to like it but everything just took too long so I moved on.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Please don't take this the wrong way but you might want to delete the link to his account. I believe was was being harassed due to being a mod at GAF and wanted a bit of a fresh start hence the change of name and scrubbing most of his friends list. If stump wants to post it, that's cool.
Ok. You might want to edit the quote then.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Someone suggested while True: learn() back around the last Steam Seal I believe, and I've finally been playing a little bit.

I'm pretty sure the "programming" here actually isn't that great, but what I've played has been pretty charming. The aesthetic is cozy, the little history lessons about machine learning/AI are mildly interesting and the overall "programming" stuff works as solid puzzles.

Dunno if I'll actually finish it, but maybe finishing it would inspire me to go play some actual programming games.
"While True; learn()" is not so much a traditional programming "game" more a puzzle game to try to explain Fuzzy Logic and Machine Learning theories.
These are more like traditional programming games:
Human Resource Machine
7 Billion Humans
TIS 100 - Basically anything by Zachtronics!
There was a 3D game years ago where you were replogramming the world to try to escape from the overseers but i've totally forgotten the name.

Also this is a bit clunky, has an 'interesting' art style and needs some QOL polish but is more of a traditional game where you have a tool you can use to reprogram anything... anything. You can break the game from pretty much the start if you want.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
He is still using his Steam account. He last wishlisted Telling Lies by Sam Barlow.
yeah, i know ... he's still around ... just extremely busy

Yeah, I'm sure all of them like lashman. Like, Uzzy for example.
why does that matter? i'm just a regular user ... please stop making it sound like i run the place all the goddamn time when i REALLY don't ... everyone in here does

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
So tempting! I have a bunch of badges to craft, waiting for summer sale.

Something devs dismiss when complaining about valves 30%, that they can get even more money from cards because of the system valve has in place for steam with badges and lvls and all that. It's not nothing.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Wazzup everyone!
I'm here now as well!

Welcome to Metacouncil! ☺

And don't worry, we love GoG here. We just don't like Epic's moneyhats. 🤭

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Trading cards should be a bigger pro-Steam talking point, for some games I keep crafting boosters for weeks and getting a not insignificant return overall (lately ONE PIECE World Seeker or Fate/EXTELLA LINK for example). Just need to invest into gems when prices are low.

Or easily selling crates/items from games like PUBG.

We like GOG as well, don't worry.
(Some of us even like Origin and Uplay)
Nah, I don't believe you. I don't want to believe. Say it ain't so. Please.

Deleted member 113

So, as I mentioned above, taking suggestions! Which game should I go with next?
  • Arcanum
  • Divine Divinity
  • Planescape Torment
  • Risen
I haven't completed any of them before but I have dabbled in some of them.
Arcanum, hands down
Yeah, you should give Arcanum a try.
It's actually my favourite RPG ever. :giggle:

It has a fascinating setting (a fantasy world that's currently experiencing an industrial revolution, so you have technology starting to appear), and the freedom to do pretty much as you want. You can even kill everyone in a town (yes, even quest givers)! Want to steal something from a shop? You can steal the key from the owner to access it, you can pick the lock, or you can... place a bomb, and destroy a wall (most buildings are at least partially destructible).

These are just a couple of small examples of the freedom you have to do things as you see fit.
I really like this game. :cat-heart-blob:

Reactions: lashman

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Yeah, you should give Arcanum a try.
It's actually my favourite RPG ever. :giggle:

It has a fascinating setting (a fantasy world that's currently experiencing an industrial revolution, so you have technology starting to appear), and the freedom to do pretty much as you want. You can even kill everyone in a town (yes, even quest givers)! Want to steal something from a shop? You can steal the key from the owner to access it, you can pick the lock, or you can... place a bomb, and destroy a wall (most buildings are at least partially destructible).

These are just a couple of small examples of the freedom you have to do things as you see fit.
I really like this game. :cat-heart-blob:

I always found the Magic path to be easy mode, in fighting and in logistics. With tech, you need to invest materials, money, inventory capacity, and it isn't as reliable in fights as magic. I remember scavenging the main city's garbage bins for coal and other materials to make more bullets :D Also, you have issues with healing because the more you tech up, the less effective magic healing gets and you need to buy or scavenge mats to make healing paste.
But tech-path is so much fun.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
  • Arcanum
  • Divine Divinity
  • Planescape Torment
  • Risen
What an awesome dilemma to have, they're all great games and all quite different so it totally depends on what you're looking for in your next game to tackle.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
  • Arcanum
  • Divine Divinity
  • Planescape Torment
  • Risen
Planescape is a must-play-before-you-die, I'd prioritze that one. Never played first Divine Divinity and not much of Arcanum. Completed Risen 1 though and loved it, healthy amount of German/Euro-jank while not being too obtuse. It's difficult of course with small monsters killing you all the time in the beginning but I found it very satisfying after getting the lay of the land. Risen 2 is still good and more forgiving btw. Reminds me I need to get around to Elex.

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Elex is top. It looks great, runs fine for me and has a good mix of doing your own thing and guided missions with consequences. As usual, it's tough as heck at the start so it's worth following the first companion about until you feel comfortable with the game's mechanics and then go do your own thing for a bit.

One thing i'll mention is don't spend Attribute points willy-nilly as the stats are effectively equipment gates so i tend to spend them in chunks to allow me to use a better weapon. For example if you have a Str/Dex weapon unlocked at 20 points then taking Str/Dex to 23 won't impact it's damage, you need to unlock a better weapon to get better damage and so on. Find a better weapon you like the look of and keep your points until you have enough to spend so can use it.

There's some odd things going on with the Elex systems but it still scratches that Gothic/Risen/Two Worlds/etc itch i have every few weeks.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Don't forget the Windows Store, it had some trouble at launch (gears 4) but Forza 4 has shown me they finally know what they're doing.
FH4 is an awesome port and the store works most of the time now but there's still so much wrong with it (UWP) and MS' whole approach. Halo coming to Steam is great but it's still totally unclear if that means their other stuff will too and what the big strategy is.

Nice, i'm also on a 1 week ban now.
Was to be expected, still chuckled when I saw the ban message.

Deleted member 113

I see several fellow forum members get all worked up about ERA. Some get banned, go back, get banned again, go back, and so on.
I'm genuinely curious: if you don't like how things are, and keep getting upset by it, why go there?

Personally, I post here not because I'm banned from those forums, but because I like this community. :cat-heart-blob:
As for ERA, I used to post there, but quickly felt it wasn't the place for me. Not only were the main forums extremely unwelcome to PC gamers (long before this EGS stuff), but also I ended up having a moderator give me a warning (the only one I received in the 25+ years I use the internet) for the most ridiculous, benign thing possible. It's a forums that, despite being labelled as being for everyone, and every platform, it's very console oriented, and some moderators heavily abuse their powers when someone posts something that goes against their platform of preference, or against their opinions.

Video games for me is a hobby, that is supposed to be fun, and playing, or discussing games, is supposed to take my mind off the stress of everyday life.
That's why I really don't see the point of participating in some forums that make me feel unwelcome, and constantly antagonize my opinions and preferences. :giggle:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I see several fellow forum members get all worked up about ERA. Some get banned, go back, get banned again, go back, and so on.
I'm genuinely curious: if you don't like how things are, and keep getting upset by it, why go there?

Personally, I post here not because I'm banned from those forums, but because I like this community. :cat-heart-blob:
As for ERA, I used to post there, but quickly felt it wasn't the place for me. Not only were the main forums extremely unwelcome to PC gamers (long before this EGS stuff), but also I ended up having a moderator give me a warning (the only one I received in the 25+ years I use the internet) for the most ridiculous, benign thing possible. It's a forums that, despite being labelled as being for everyone, and every platform, it's very console oriented, and some moderators heavily abuse their powers when someone posts something that goes against their platform of preference, or against their opinions.

Video games for me is a hobby, that is supposed to be fun, and playing, or discussing games, is supposed to take my mind off the stress of everyday life.
That's why I really don't see the point of participating in some forums that make me feel unwelcome, and constantly antagonize my opinions and preferences. :giggle:
Pretty much. I still go there for some off-topic communities, but my participation there has been getting less and less too. The PC Builder thread was also very helpful last week.
But when it comes to talking about PC Gaming itself, Metacouncil is just nicer since you don't have to deal with disingenious console warriors and other trolls all the time.
It's funny, I remember when lashman invited me I said something like "sure, I'll sign up, but I can't promise I'll be very active, since 2 forums are a hassle for me". Now I pretty much post only here, lol. How things change.

Deleted member 113

We'll establish our anime haven here
:thinking-blob:

---

Anyone else looking forward to the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Mini? The combination of M2 handling the emulation + Yuzo Koshiro (❤) doing the menu music is making me really curious about the end result.

I know we have some fellow fans of Sega's older arcade and console games. Anyone up to make a thread?

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
:thinking-blob:

---

Anyone else looking forward to the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Mini? The combination of M2 handling the emulation + Yuzo Koshiro (❤) doing the menu music is making me really curious about the end result.

I know we have some fellow fans of Sega's older arcade and console games. Anyone up to make a thread?
I put in a preorder. It can't be as bad as Sony's PS1 Mini, can it?

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
FunktionJCB Same reason as you really, because i like the community, or more specific subcommunities. PCGaming ERA, NieR-Era, and the little communities for the smaller japanese games mostly, and as with many things in life, you unfortunately can't have the good without the bad. Although the bad is outweighing the good more and more.

_ _ _ _ _

Nappael Just for the record (And you can post this explanation on ERA if you want and if it's not agains the TOS?) i'm not the one "downplaying a hate movement" that RPS writer is doing a good job at that by himself, he doesn't need my help.

I was simply saying people that throw accusations around like candy are giving me the impression they want it to be true because it makes them feel self-important precisely because those who do it weren't the ones who got harassed to begin with (as you can infer from the second post i made before i was banned)

You are blocked from following @DominicTarason and viewing @DominicTarason's Tweets.

Not even one minute after responding to this.
What a POS lmao.

_ _ _ _

Fuck you Gevin Evangelion is goat, stays goat, and will always remain GREATEST OF ALL TIME!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.