Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium

For anyone who can't see the now deleted tweet, Borderlands 3 is an Epic Store Exclusive.
I'm shocked! 😳

Good thing I don't care about Borderlands at all. Sad that this will drive many people to Epic's Store, leading to even more moneyhatting.

TheVectronic

The Wondering Scribe
Oct 31, 2018
Puerto Rico
So is it still worth getting the handsome collection? I'm mostly missing the season pass for presequel
Handsome Collection is really worth it for the full experience, but for the Pre-Sequel Season Pass, I wouldn't give into it. Get it if you really want to play it.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Sadly, my roommate's favorite game is Borderlands 2, and I'd rather play BL3 with him at launch than wait a year (if it's exclusive), so looks like this one is out of my hands. At least I can, like, sandbox the launcher right?

Reactions: madjoki

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Sadly, my roommate's favorite game is Borderlands 2, and I'd rather play BL3 with him at launch than wait a year (if it's exclusive), so looks like this one is out of my hands. At least I can, like, sandbox the launcher right?
Nah, still 100% your decision. I won't judge but the 'can't help it' attitude always weirds me out when it comes to entertainment products.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I can't say really, I bought it after they removed all that crap.
That you responded with something other than "I still acts like loot crates are required and feels like they botched their removal' means its been patched out properly, in my opinion. I'm slightly more interested than before, but your run down and others here as well have made me more cautious. Will wait for a deep sale. I don't need to simply walk into Mordor War right away

Reactions: Alexandros

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I played the shit out of Borderlands and Borderlands 2 with some friends way back. Never gotten around to play the Pre-Sequel.
I played a bunch of BL2 with another friend not that long ago and I didn't find it funny anymore, guess I outgrew the juvenile humor :p
Borderlands 3 announcement does nothing at all for me tbh.

Deleted member 113

A nice compilation of some of the great looking adventure games coming out this month:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Borderlands 3 is no big loss.

Series peaked with 2 IMO, so it being exclusive to EGS means more money to buy RAGE 2,. DOOM Eterrnal and Wolfenstein Youngblood on STEAM :dabblob:
And anime! Steam has a monopoly on anime games on Steam.

And talking about anime, I started up some Fairy Fencer F again.
This is a game where you can temporarily power up by stabbing yourself with your overdesigned anime weapon

to transform and get some sorta overdesigned Power Ranger armor

and super cheesy music starts to play

Bonus transformation pics:

:wd_dealwithit:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
I fucking hate Sekiro.

I'm at Genichiro and I've managed to get him to an inch of his health left on his 3rd phase a bunch of times but no dice.
My hands actually hurt now, and I can see I'm just getting worse now, I need a break -_-
This is the point where you step back, take a deep breath and do something else for a bit.
And next time beat him on your first try, thats how it always goes.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yup, i've read it tons of times in Sekiro threads. People hit a particular wall then come back the next day and get it done after an attempt or two.
Step away, have a nice cuppa and a biscuit, do something else to recharge and melt his face off tomorrow.

:persevering-face:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I played the shit out of Borderlands and Borderlands 2 with some friends way back. Never gotten around to play the Pre-Sequel.
I played a bunch of BL2 with another friend not that long ago and I didn't find it funny anymore, guess I outgrew the juvenile humor :p
Borderlands 3 announcement does nothing at all for me tbh.
Borderlands 3 is about five years too late anyways.

I played the game multiple times through with friends, bought the DLC for multiple friends, and now I don’t even talk to those people anymore.

I dunno, it seems like way past it’s window. Maybe people will still go crazy for it, but I’m not going to be there even if it ends up on Steam. Short of me magically reconnecting with the IRL friends I played it with, what’s the point? It would have to be some kind of massive, generation shifting game for it to pique my interest now. And given the trailer, it seems to be distinctly not that.

The best Borderlands game (Tales from) isn’t even a Gearbox production so :persevering-face:

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Borderlands 3 is about five years too late anyways.

I played the game multiple times through with friends, bought the DLC for multiple friends, and now I don’t even talk to those people anymore.

I dunno, it seems like way past it’s window. Maybe people will still go crazy for it, but I’m not going to be there even if it ends up on Steam. Short of me magically reconnecting with the IRL friends I played it with, what’s the point? It would have to be some kind of massive, generation shifting game for it to pique my interest now. And given the trailer, it seems to be distinctly not that.

The best Borderlands game (Tales from) isn’t even a Gearbox production so :persevering-face:
I was still interested, but you right that it did miss it's big window. The irony is that with The Division 2 on UPlay and Destiny 2 on Battle.net, if it was on Steam it would directly serve that audience with a looter shooter. Now it has to convince people to "move".

However, I suspect any in interest I might still have is going away very quickly once they reveal the monetization scheme.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Yup, i've read it tons of times in Sekiro threads. People hit a particular wall then come back the next day and get it done after an attempt or two.
Step away, have a nice cuppa and a biscuit, do something else to recharge and melt his face off tomorrow.

:persevering-face:
That's because From games are secretly (not so secretly really) puzzle games masquerading as action games.

And that's exactly what happens with puzzle games. You hit a wall, sleep on it, come back in the morning and it's suddenly a breeze.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'm also mostly on here these days, but if I get snapped it will be a great compliment.

EDIT;
I just saw the Borderlands 3 stuff. Fuck 2K and Fuck EGS. Goddammit. Now I have to wait another year.

Last edited:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Are game "journos" in an April Fool's contest?

I'm so lost y'all.

IGN:

(you'd think Dan in particular would have a little self-awareness to not show his ass (aka not knowing anything about the state of PC gaming) after the other embarrassments that have happened under his "editorial" watch)

PC World:

From the same dude a few days ago:

Game Informer:

I genuinely cannot believe this is anything other than April Fool's Day trolling.

And as a bonus:

How the eff do you become the Senior Editor at a popular PC focused website and not know how legal key resellers work? Like, what amount of investment and interest would you have to have in a platform to not know that? I guess in fairness, maybe he's interested in the platform, but this is just what happens when you're in a position of privilege, never pay for any games, never have any actual skin in "supporting the devs" like you demand the customers do, and therefore have no idea how storefronts work.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm Kirk Cameron in Left Behind, everyone else has left planet Earth, and I got left still plugged in the simulation.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
It seems like every single one of those people stopped responding in those threads as soon as they have actual arguments presented against them. I'm not sure if it's harder to believe they are or aren't in Epic's pocket at this point - if they aren't, this is a serious condemnation of what "journalism" in gaming has turned into, if they are... so is that, because entire coverage staff shouldn't be able to be bought off like that. I legitimately wish there was some regulatory thing to complain to because they are spreading outright lies from a position of journalists and just stop discussing the instant they get proven wrong, only to spew it out again a week later.

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
I like Ascheroth's method of bullet points for planning the month. Let's see:

Non-gaming
  • Take Finnegan out on some more trails that aren't just a short walk/drive from my place.
  • Finally cut down on soda (again) to start focusing on getting healthier
  • Watch (at least) five of the movies I've purchase in the last month or more as those are building up. Don't really have any picks and some may just be rewatches.
Gaming
  • My backlog list for April is Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time. I need to start those soon.
  • I just started The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories last night and I'll probably continue to focus on that first.
  • Also started up Rehtona to see how I'd feel about that and I should finish that this month. It seems short with only five worlds (I believe) and I finished one of them last night in about 30 minutes.
  • From my non-monthly list of backlog games I'd like to complete two others this month. I'm leaning towards Just Cause 3 and maybe The Evil Within? There's plenty of options so that may change.
  • I expect I'll also clear out two or more shorter games I got in more recent months.
  • Mortal Kombat 11 is the main release this month for me. Already pre-ordered. I'll dive right in on that.
  • And lastly, I'll likely start up Soulcalibur VI.

All that should keep me fairly busy.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Gaming media has always been grossly incompetent at their jobs it's just most of the time in the past that was relegated to writing bad reviews and previews that read like press releases. Social media has enabled these types to showcase their ignorance on the industry more often and in different ways. The sad thing is this is pretty much standard across the major media outlets, both console and PC outlets. Name a big site and you'll find at least a couple of people there who frequently show that they know next to nothing about the industry they're supposed to be experts in. Qualifications for these jobs nowadays are basically

1. Can you write at a 10th grade level at least?
  2. Are you able to browse reddit and resetera for news topics every couple of hours?

That's more or less it. There's no journalistic standard being held at any of these places. None of these people question a press release from a company that touts certain accomplishments and numbers. They just take everything said at face value (because no company has ever lied or purposely twisted things before). They hate allegations of being paid off but they always seem to go out of their way to say and do things that make people believe it.

A lot of people (I'm guilty of this as well in the past) were nervous that less reputable streamers or youtubers would replace the gaming media. At this point I couldn't care less and would say what's the difference anymore? I watched a yongyea vid on one of these recent Epic topics and he also repeated the misleading and vague statement about Metro Exodus' sales numbers on EGS as proof that the service is doing well. A lot of others like angry joe and jim sterling also repeated this. So they're doing the same thing the "legit" media is doing, talking about things they're not super knowledgeable about and not questioning what a company tells them. The only difference is most of the youtubers at least try to present some of the points PC gamers go on about, even if they get it wrong or don't go in depth enough. But that's still more than the "legit" media has done.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Are game "journos" in an April Fool's contest?

I'm so lost y'all.

IGN:

(you'd think Dan in particular would have a little self-awareness to not show his ass (aka not knowing anything about the state of PC gaming) after the other embarrassments that have happened under his "editorial" watch)

PC World:

From the same dude a few days ago:

Game Informer:

I genuinely cannot believe this is anything other than April Fool's Day trolling.

And as a bonus:

How the eff do you become the Senior Editor at a popular PC focused website and not know how legal key resellers work? Like, what amount of investment and interest would you have to have in a platform to not know that? I guess in fairness, maybe he's interested in the platform, but this is just what happens when you're in a position of privilege, never pay for any games, never have any actual skin in "supporting the devs" like you demand the customers do, and therefore have no idea how storefronts work.

At this point I'm pretty sure I'm Kirk Cameron in Left Behind, everyone else has left planet Earth, and I got left still plugged in the simulation.
Jesus Christ. Well, I guess the one good thing out of all this is that everyone sees their true colors now.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Really disappointed in Imran Khan. Guy still does good work from time to time, but it's kinda disappointed to see so many dogpile on Steam while Epic provides nothing for the consumer or show the outright hypocrisies of publishers.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
  • My backlog list for April is Yooka-Laylee and A Hat in Time. I need to start those soon.
Man I hope Hat isn't as dull as Yooka-Laylee was. Finishing that game was almost as big of a torture as finishing Rise of the Tomb Raider.

In other news, case 1 of DGS done, a bit difficult to give any meaningful opinion about it so far, aside from the fact that I love its courtroom suite. Easily one of the best in the series.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Also what's up with new narrative that Steam has no big releases? Even with all the EGS exclusives, Steam is still has way more big games..
Yeah, we had RE2, DMC 5, Sekiro released, alongside the MCC collection and Bethesda games on Steam coming later. It seems that some journalists want to control the narratives on how Steam will become a barren wasteland, which makes no sense.

Last edited:

Wibblewozzer

Robot on the inside
Dec 6, 2018
Man I hope Hat isn't as dull as Yooka-Laylee was. Finishing that game was almost as big of a torture as finishing Rise of the Tomb Raider.

In other news, case 1 of DGS done, a bit difficult to give any meaningful opinion about it so far, aside from the fact that I love its courtroom suite. Easily one of the best in the series.
I'm aware of the general disdain people have for Yooka-Laylee. I've played a chunk of the first world and actually had a pretty good time. I believe people have said it starts alright and goes downhill, though. Regardless, it's the style of platformer I generally enjoy so I'm looking forward to checking out more of it.

And I think it's widely accepted that A Hat in Time is a much better game and a great platformer so I'm not too worried there.

I almost feel like I should add Poi to the month if I get through both of those with plenty of time leftover.

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
I'm aware of the general disdain people have for Yooka-Laylee. I've played a chunk of the first world and actually had a pretty good time. I believe people have said it starts alright and goes downhill, though. Regardless, it's the style of platformer I generally enjoy so I'm looking forward to checking out more of it.

And I think it's widely accepted that A Hat in Time is a much better game and a great platformer so I'm not too worried there.

I almost feel like I should add Poi to the month if I get through both of those with plenty of time leftover.
Yeah, I believe the general consensus about the first world is that it's pretty good or at least enjoyable. The point of contention usually appears at the middle and late parts of the game. Which is to say there are definitely people that enjoyed Yooka-Laylee in its entirety, I am just not of them unfortunately.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
So, Hektor had a great idea and is already working on something that I was recently thinking of doing myself: He's creating something of an FAQ for people unaware (or 'unaware') of the reasons behind the Epic Games Store controversy. The goal as I understood it is to create a resource that we can link to whenever someone enters an EGS thread on Era 'just asking questions' so we can avoid having to debate the same 'arguments' again and again. He's going to post it here on Metacouncil when he's ready, I think it would be cool to work on it as a community, provide feedback to Hektor and hopefully come up with something as comprehensive as possible.

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
So my biggest issue is that people first painted Epic as a savior of indie games, but so far, I haven't seen them care about actual indie developers except ones who with already established fanbases (except Three Fields Entertainment from my understanding), and are mostly focusing on AAA releases. They changed that narrative to developers in general it seems. The one exception seems to be Three Fields Entertainment though, but even then they don't advertise them as much and are overshadowed by big AAA titles.

I also wonder if the publishers get these cuts rather then the developers? I'm not 100% sure on that but if there's more info then that would good to know.

Last edited:

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
So my biggest issue is that people first painted Epic as a savior of indie games, but so far, I haven't seen them care about actual indie developers except ones who with already established fanbases (except Three Fields Entertainment from my understanding), and are mostly focusing on AAA releases. They changed that narrative to developers in general it seems. The one exception seems to be Three Fields Entertainment though, but even then they don't advertise them as much and are overshadowed by big AAA titles.

I also wonder if the publishers get these cuts rather then the developers? I'm not 100% sure on that but if there's more info then that would good to know.

Part of the complaint when Assasult Android Cactus was denied was Epic wants a dev/pub to bring over an established fan-base.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'm just glad all that shit from those so called journalists have few responses/likes/retweets/whatever crap in general. Obsolete paid off fools.

Like because Capcom, Namco, Square, SEGA (half of these have sizable western companies acquired these days, this isn't just Sonic and Final Fantasy games) and literally most companies already blew their load and don't have announced much for the year (I mean, we're even before E3, did I miss something, we already know what's coming all of 2019?) Steam has apparently no more games lol. Because we conveniently make the post right after the releases of Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro and somehow Bethesda and Microsoft returning to Steam also don't count. And indies like Risk of Rain 2 also don't count despite widespread demand because only AAA count (except if they've already released on Steam) but Epic is FOR THE INDIES! The mental gymnastics they go to in order to ignore arguments and present themselves as all knowing judges that can tell what's right and what isn't and how everyone opposing them is a Steam fanboy.

Again, EGS is presenting a Steam circa 2003 beta equivalent service in 2019 and trying to convince us that it's a good thing to ignore everything Valve learned the last 15 or so years FROM US and FROM DEVS and FROM PUBS and FROM JOURNOS in order to evolve to its current form. And none of these fools even reported the Valve GDC talks which showed some insight into exactly what kind of things they're always working on and where that 30% (which for most of the games Epic acquired would be a 20% with the new policies, for the smaller ones maybe 25%, but they certainly didn't bother signing up games/devs with zero mindshare) goes! We then had a curation based store where only established publishers and developers had a chance to sell their stuff and we didn't like it and constantly showed that we didn't want good games to fall through the cracks, now they want to accept Tim's hand picked selection of games as the only ones worthwhile out of hundreds of monthly releases outside first party exclusives? GTFO. That's anti-indie at its core, shovelware is no excuse for this pure bs!

I use all decent online stores and I feel like I'm some kind of Nintendo die hard in the Wii & DS days when everybody ridiculed them, ignored great games (outside the token Mario praise which they also never forgot to say how they'd rather play it on other platforms, lol) and made a series of stupid articles about all the shovelware from nobodies (and Ubisoft!) that we'd never know of otherwise and acted like the DS didn't even exist when making such short sighted crap up.

Last edited:

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
So, Hektor had a great idea and is already working on something that I was recently thinking of doing myself: He's creating something of an FAQ for people unaware (or 'unaware') of the reasons behind the Epic Games Store controversy. The goal as I understood it is to create a resource that we can link to whenever someone enters an EGS thread on Era 'just asking questions' so we can avoid having to debate the same 'arguments' again and again. He's going to post it here on Metacouncil when he's ready, I think it would be cool to work on it as a community, provide feedback to Hektor and hopefully come up with something as comprehensive as possible.
Here is what I have thus far:

Obviously still some work to do.

I started it as a simple way to address common arguments being made without having to repeat yourself over and over again.

If anyone got some input, just post it.
Especially further argument that are made that I might have forgotten about

(Also, google docs seems to screw the formatting)

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Idk I feel like I have to write the same things over and over these days, it's getting tiring and it's always ignored anyway, those people aren't interested in debate.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
If we can have clear defined sources then that would be nice (for example, in the generated key section). Would add more weight to it imo.

Idk I feel like I have to write the same things over and over these days, it's getting tiring and it's always ignored anyway, those people aren't interested in debate.
It doesn't matter if these same people ignore it. What matters is the public can access these sources and therefore can check for themselves rather then regurgitating the same points over and over.

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
Thank you Hektor and Alexandros (and everyone else who will contribute) taking the time to write this detailed FAQ.
I find 'Devs will get more money' argument kinda strange. Even if we ignore the fact that most devs won't see a cent of Epic's money, ultimately, the bottom line that I care about the most is mine. Like, it's good that they'll get more money, but I won't advocate for it if it leads to more expensive games for me, and so far, it has done exactly that. I don't think competition is inherently good for us consumers, it's only good if it benefits us. And in Epic's case, it's making the consumers' experience actively worse, both by limiting functionality and making games more expensive.

Deleted member 113

I admire your passion for doing this FAQ, but I'm not sure it will matter: the people that keep throwing around stupid arguments about the EGS and Steam aren't really interested in being educated, and most aren't even PC gamers, and have no interest in the platform.

I still think you are getting extremely worked up about Epic, to a point of being "nervous" and upset, for something as trivial as a video games store, and a handful of games. A store run by a bully of a company, but still just that, a store.

Don't like what they are doing? Don't support them. Don't support the games in question (not even when they launch elsewhere in a year; either don't buy them, or at least wait for them to be bundled, or very heavily discounted). Don't support the developers and publishers who agreed to this. Vote with your wallets. That's the only thing these companies listen to: money.
You don't need to get worked up about it, all you achieve is getting yourselves upset, and you are just giving Epic free publicity, and lots of clicks to all these websites that are engaging on this sad campaign.

It's so easy to replace the purchase of one of these games, for another game, or for any other leisure purchase (a Blu-Ray, a CD, going to the movies, having a nice dinner with friends, ...) I really don't see what's the big deal about missing on a game or two.

I will never install the EGS client. It's as simple as that.
And no game will change my commitment.

I see people saying "I'll be forced to use them because of "x" game" and stuff like that. Screw that, I'm not using it, period.

Since this all began, I already:
-requested a refund for Phoenix Point, a game by a designer whose work I followed for 30+ years, and a game I was really looking forward to;
-I haven't bought a single game, or DLC, by any of the developers or publishers who have announced EGS exclusives, with the exception of Outward, a game published by Deep Silver (because, after the Metro Exodus exclusivity announcement, the developer of the game was very transparent about his plans to release the game on Steam, and essentially asked not to be punished by a poor decision of the publisher, unrelated to their game).

---

In other news, this lovely looking adventure game was just released:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.