Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
There isn't an official discord for MC it's just lashman's (robotbrush) server that's usually being talked about in times like this. The people who talk in there are mostly people who joined years ago or people who joined among the chaos that the Gaf -> Era exodus brought on.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Sad to hear about JaseC. I always find his PC performance threads very useful and informative because he always updates it regularly. It's also a shame that the misunderstanding can be avoided by simply adding :wd_p: at the end of their sentence. I mean, it's the internet. Conveying meaning in real life is already hard. Even more so on the internet where we're all faceless.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
It's too bad they don't make a keyboard with a stick on it, so you could use the stick for movement and use your mouse for aim. I've bound the crouch and knife buttons to the forward/back buttons of my mouse.
don't know about a keyboard with stick but but they do make analog keyboards. Wooting one - Meet your new keyboard
downside is, the configuration for every single game sucks big time. but what I've read and watched, when they are configured they are quite awesome.
thinking about buying the wooting two.

What shittyass laptop is he working on?
console wars never stop. xbox is dead, pc is the new enemy.

jasec, if you happen to read this, thanks again, your help was much appreciated. don't know what happened but hope you are in a good place.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
PC-Era Discord is different from the Steam-Era one. The Steam-Era one seems kinda hidden.

I don't have an invite to give though, as I'm not part of it. Just noting what I have observed.
There isn't an official discord for MC it's just lashman's (robotbrush) server that's usually being talked about in times like this. The people who talk in there are mostly people who joined years ago or people who joined among the chaos that the Gaf -> Era exodus brought on.
Ah I see, thanks for your answers. Just joined PC Era discord.

Reactions: lashman

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeah that's my other thing. Sony's 1st party does nothing for me. They don't support JP games or JRPG's anymore. Almost everything they put out these days is heavily western, action adventure, cinematic 3rd-person stuff. Which I don't dislike mind you, I just found more often than not that Sony's brand of it does nothing for me.
The age of Sony is done. :wd_p:

I've always associated Sony with RPGs, and since most of the noteworthy RPGs of PS3/PS4 are already on PC, I find little reason to get their next-generation console, except maybe for Falcom games.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Had a hearty laugh at this part about the PS5's superduper SSD:

What shittyass laptop is he working on?
Yeah. Launching Excel/Word is CPU intensive, SSD can't help shitty processors.
But change implies that both are running, so no way that is true.

It's not like SSDs are evolving, newer SSDs just sacrifice speed and reliability for lower cost.
They can't include costly nvme ssd. Those cost as much as console.

Imagine if their "secret sauce" SSD is some custom solution, means you won't probably be able to replace SSD without replacing whole system. RIP environment.

I guess software optimization, for sure is possible though, but we'll see in two years-ish.

The new game bar looks good, wish steam let me use spotify :(
Steam "does" have Spotify integration.. Valve just never enabled it before Spotify killed API it was based on.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Got an email from Humble with $3 discount on Monthly. Any thoughts on Origins?
Best AC game (haven't played IV, Unity, Syndicate and Odyssey though). It starts a bit slow but after the first two ~ three hours it gets way better. There's plenty uPlay useful rewards there, so remember to check that, I remember some useful early swords and shields being there, plus Ezio's outfit.

Reactions: Milena and lashman

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
I was recently taking a look at some SHMUPs, and just found out that Steam has a Darius game! Has anyone here played it?

you can definitely get something cheaper but better

This one is not exactly a shmup per say but it's what Starfox would've been like if it had been near a shmup

This is probably the one you want

Honest to god I've wanted this game PSI-OPS on Steam for so damn long😢

Last edited:

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
It's a damn shame what happened with JaseC, he was the most knowledgeable guy ever in the steam thread. I hope one day he comes back, but I wouldn't blame him if he stayed away. Wish him all the best with what he does in the future.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Still no price. I dont have much faith in Squeenix lol

Reactions: lashman and PhaZZe

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
you can definitely get something cheaper but better

This one is not exactly a shmup per say but it's what Starfox would've been like if it had been near a shmup

This is probably the one you want

Honest to god I've wanted this game PSI-OPS on Steam for so damn long😢
Thanks. I was mostly just surprised to see a Darius game on Steam. I suppose I haven't kept up with the series after Darius Gaiden, which was great.

Ikaruga is a classic. ;)

I'll take a look.

I'm not really sure what to make of that, hah.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
You know, looking back at the GAF days, maybe it wasn't so bad. At a least they left the steam community alone, other than like one of two raids to ban anime gif posting.
RE went downhill like 3 months in.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Quoting myself from era:

Looks like PC gaming era is dead in all but formality.

Very sad. I still remember that one of the reasons I joined were JaseC's steam knowledge, Jshackles being the enhanced steam developer and stumpokapows impressively well reasoned posts.

It was such a nice and welcoming community (apart from one user I shall not name lol), fun to talk with and I even got to chance to play with some of them.

Lethal league with ozium, fighting games with leafy.

Then there were lashmans nigh botlike steam store posts and ListeningGardens visual novel about the community itself and Milamber, who was apparently a vastly bigger pervert than even me (#hero).

But pretty much all of those had already left before we moved to era.

Now with the constant bans for other classic members as well as all the ones that had joined since, the constant "staff posts" and the general dissent, this community isn't the one it used to be anymore.

Heck, it's not even the same in name anymore.

I'm not gonna leave this place completely (unless I get perm'd) but I'll making MC my main forum from here on out. (Feel free to join)

Thanks to all the people that made this community so worthwhile and endearing back on GAF, you were a great community ❤

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Haven't posted in a while.
But I finished a few games!

-Vaporum.
Bootleg Legend of Grimrock... it really, really feels like it. Not that it's a bad thing, Grimrock 2 is the best dungeon crawler around.
Great visuals, nice atmosphere, good level variety despite being a single dungeon... but since you only have one character in combat, it's definitely a bit simpler, and the progression for both new unique items and skills is also a tad simplistic.

The puzzles are decent enough, but it's definitely a bit too simplified combat wise. On the other hand it's more approachable too, that's definitely a great "my first dungeon crawler".
An expanded second game like what happened from Grimrock 1 to 2 would be great, and it definitely could be just as good.

-Outward.
Quebecjank galore.
It's pretty much the Gothic 3 that never existed.
It does suffer from the same problem of a large open world (made of 4 large maps) with not much in it, a shit ton of backtracking and a complete lack of fast travel. Yeah, it can be a pain.
But on the other hand, you get that Gothic design in the numerous dungeons (with no map so don't get lost) which are excellent, plenty are very long, filled with important stuff to find, and it's not rare to find shortcuts for the open world too! It's almost like giant interconnected maps, and that's pretty cool and unique.

But it really nails the feeling of adventure, with long journeys to prepare to with the survival elements... which I was a bit worried about, but are absolutely not intrusive in the least. Starving or dying of thirst is almost impossible, however making good use of ressources and recipes makes for massive buffs. Like being able to sprint with no concern for stamina or boosting your damage by 50%? Yeah, that's a big deal, far more than just chugging some water every 10 minutes in other survival games.
Plenty of stuff to craft, and you don't need to know the recipe to craft anything. It's pretty fun for multiplayer and subsequent playthroughs... which also benefit from a "New Game +" of sorts, where you can deposit gear in legacy chests and get them on your new character. Neat little gimmick.

The big weak point compared to Piranha Bytes games lies in the writing. There's almost none in Outward frankly. Very few quests, rarely interesting... and just almost no dialogues in general... big downer after Elex, which was miles ahead of the competition with interconnected quests.
On the other hand, the combat is better than anything PB ever managed to put out, and it sure crushes Elex.
Far more fluid, much better hitboxes, a ton of build variety (and you can make broken builds for any archetype)... and of course the usual AI infighting to use at your discretion. It's actually not bad at all when you unlock more stuff and understand how to break the enemy's poise (something that definitely goes above the head of many from what I've seen).

It's pretty much the antithesis to the open world fake RPGs with level scaling, loot scaling and copy/paste everywhere, and it's nice to see a very small team doing it well.
But the lack of means shows... outside of the lighting system, which make dungeons pitch black when you don't have a source of light, and it feels a lot like what Dark Souls 2 was supposed to be; dark, creepy and treacherous. Great use of modest visuals.

Great game, a lot of fun, if massively lacking in the writing department.
It could be the start of another cult franchise with a few fixes.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I wish there is a community where we can talk freely on how we can improve as a community together. But it seems like silencing dissenters is much quicker, I suppose.

Anyway. I'm more than happy to hang out here as long as ya'll have me.
Isn't that kind of the point with MC, that it is a group effort all inclusive in all matters of the site?

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Got an email from Humble with $3 discount on Monthly. Any thoughts on Origins?
I loved AC Origins! I've always been a fan of the series, but the added RPG elements and the Egyptian setting really made it one of my favourite AC yet.

And if Humble won't add the DLCs in the Monthly, I recommend buying at least the Curse of the Pharaos expansion, as the added areas and new story are great!

Status
Not open for further replies.