Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnitzelfee

Token German
Sep 6, 2018
Outer Space
What the heck? How can too many friends affect the gameplay
I had the same problem with Trackmania canyon years ago .... It would only run smoothly when steam was set to offline.... Micro stutter galore when connected to the friends list and stuff... I'm not even sure anymore how I came to that conclusion and why it happened in the first place

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Do we have a PC troubleshooting thread (not really game releated)?

As I can't make a new post in this subreddit I will ask here. My keyboard (wired) suddenly changed button assignments. Stuff like T is now - and the like. I have ran the troubleshooter (for keyboards) and says nothing is wrong. I have uninstalled the driver from device manager, still does it on a cold boot even. Tried different USB ports, still does it. Using a pretty bad wireless keyboard now. Anything I can do?

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I was just joking, I have some friends. I love you all. :love:

======================
Do we have a PC troubleshooting thread (not really game releated)?

As I can't make a new post in this subreddit I will ask here. My keyboard (wired) suddenly changed button assignments. Stuff like T is now - and the like. I have ran the troubleshooter (for keyboards) and says nothing is wrong. I have uninstalled the driver from device manager, still does it on a cold boot even. Tried different USB ports, still does it. Using a pretty bad wireless keyboard now. Anything I can do?
Wish I could be more personally helpful, but I dunno too much about the inner workings of keyboards so just relied on google.

Maybe try this stuff? Fix: Keyboard typing wrong letters on Windows 10 - Appuals.com

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
What keyboard should I get now? This was a cheap cherry mx kb. I don't need fancy stuff light lights or anything but mechanical would be nice.

I was just joking, I have some friends. I love you all. :love:

======================

Wish I could be more personally helpful, but I dunno too much about the inner workings of keyboards so just relied on google.

Maybe try this stuff? Fix: Keyboard typing wrong letters on Windows 10 - Appuals.com
Yea I tried those..didn't help =( thanks though.

Angelo

Junior Member?
Dec 21, 2018
My activity feed on Steam used to be dead, but since i added more people to my friendlist, it's now pretty populated! I enjoy seeing their game reviews, their purchases and their non-spoilery screenshots :blushblob: (oh wow blob emojis! this is a nice feature~)

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Started Call of Duty Black Ops III, I have no idea who wrote this but maybe they should look for another job. It makes no sense whatsoever. Am I in the Matrix? Have I gone forward in time? Is time just a meaningless construct in the pursuit of the perfect pew-pew? Robots are bad, now they are on my side? What happened to the guy from Avatar?

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Why no Easter sale on Steam? :(
Maybe it starts today.

My activity feed on Steam used to be dead, but since i added more people to my friendlist, it's now pretty populated! I enjoy seeing their game reviews, their purchases and their non-spoilery screenshots :blushblob: (oh wow blob emojis! this is a nice feature~)
It should agfect ur discovery q as well
Try using and see if it recommends something...sensible

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I was thinking about what Valve could do to improve visibility and the the usability of their store...

A long time ago (I'm pretty sure the website doesn't even exist anymore) I had an account on a music torrent tracker (what.cd) that had a very cool feature... basically, on every band page there was a graph with the band represented as a node; each edge represented a connection to another band (shown as other nodes)... People could freely upvote/downvote the strength of the connection (represented by the edge's thickness).

I mean, I could see a system that allows you to do the same thing with games. Sometimes tags are way too restrictive... For example a walking simulator often gets lumped together with Myst-likes which, despite sharing some similarities (first-person view, environmental puzzles, little to no action,..), are considerably different experiences.

Here's a leet PowerPoint-powered mock-up:

To make the link between games more explicit, it would be cool if one could upvote/downvote each separate tag and freely select a subset of the available ones to create a "composite tag", which then would be used to select the nodes and display the graph.

Something like this:

The number of games displayed and the "distance" from the target game (i.e. similarity) would depend on which games you own. If, like me, you own most well known and highly-rated Myst-likes, the selection of nodes would propagate further and suggest less obvious titles.

What do you guys think?

Galdere

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
i imagine they tested it ... the problem is - i can't imagine any of their testing accounts have more than 2 or 3 friends (to check multiplayer invites and stuff like that)

and again - that could've been easily avoided if they hadn't decided to not do the open beta on steam as well (as they always did for all their games that had open betas)

so yeah ... thanks, epic

i think so, yeah
Of course, you're right, that would likely have been the case. Tested more extensively I should have put it. Maybe it had better Steam integration before they sold out and that contributed to the issue. Thanks epic. Always endearing me more and more to want to spend anything with you.

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Does a huge friend list actually effect what games you see on the new and trending frontpage? I got quite a few friends and I don't think its affecting much. it looks like what games I would want which is funny considering may wishlist is empty and I haven't bought a PC month in months.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Of course, you're right, that would likely have been the case. Tested more extensively I should have put it. Maybe it had better Steam integration before they sold out and that contributed to the issue. Thanks epic. Always endearing me more and more to want to spend anything with you.
yeah, probably ... i mean - they don't even have achievements anymore (2205 has over 100)

Does a huge friend list actually effect what games you see on the new and trending frontpage? I got quite a few friends and I don't think its affecting much. it looks like what games I would want which is funny considering may wishlist is empty and I haven't bought a PC month in months.
new and trending? no, i don't think it affects that particular list

afaik it's only stuff that people (in general, not just friends) are buying and actively playing, reviewing etc.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
What keyboard should I get now? This was a cheap cherry mx kb. I don't need fancy stuff light lights or anything but mechanical would be nice.
Yea I tried those..didn't help =( thanks though.
I was going to suggest checking the language bar and the Regional Settings and resetting them but if you've already tried that then... i'm at a loss for the moment.

As for cheap mechanicals i can't help as all mine have been £100+ :crying-face: Like Ducky Shine, CoolerMaster Novatouch and Storm TKL.
I know Corsair keyboards are recommended at the moment and the less flashy ones are relatively cheap so have a look. Is it the K70 everyone is enamoured with at the moment?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Since you live in Taiwan (I think?) try looking how much Ducky keyboards cost over there, since they're made in Taiwan. I especially recommend their 'One 2' model, extremely sturdy and well-built and most of them have no 'gamer' aesthetic.

Reactions: lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
Since you live in Taiwan (I think?) try looking how much Ducky keyboards cost over there, since they're made in Taiwan. I especially recommend their 'One 2' model, extremely sturdy and well-built and most of them have no 'gamer' aesthetic.
Oh, if they live in Taiwan or similar then the world is their oyster! Lucky!

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
What the heck? How can too many friends affect the gameplay?
Its a Ubisoft game, for some insane reason its always the steam friend list causing problems, I remember a tetris game having LAG ffs because of a bug with the friend list. I'm surprised there hasn't been massive review bombing on Anno yet, the game deserves to skewered for the poor perfomance and the EGS bs

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I read that the game was checking the Friends List for updates too frequently leading to lag and the devs were going to reign it in.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I recently bought the Corsair K63 Wirelesss.

I think that one only comes with MX Red switches. I think the wired version has more options, and is a bit cheaper too. The actual build quality is really nice. Additionally, It also has these four media buttons on the top left, which are really easy to rebind with Corsairs "iCUE" software.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I feel like that's one of those things that would be useful to a select few but the most users would ignore. Not to shit on your idea but people will still complain about discoverability and the masses at large can't be bothered with such a system. I don't know how you make the steam audience care. :thinking-face:
I agree that quite a few users would totally ignore the more customizable aspects of this system... But you could also imagine that the store page for each game could display a pre-configured graph that wouldn't require any fiddling from the user.

I thought about building a website myself, but i just started another personal project!

Last edited:

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I was thinking about what Valve could do to improve visibility and the the usability of their store...

A long time ago (I'm pretty sure the website doesn't even exist anymore) I had an account on a music torrent tracker (what.cd) that had a very cool feature... basically, on every band page there was a graph with the band represented as a node; each edge represented a connection to another band (shown as other nodes)... People could freely upvote/downvote the strength of the connection (represented by the edge's thickness).

I mean, I could see a system that allows you to do the same thing with games. Sometimes tags are way too restrictive... For example a walking simulator often gets lumped together with Myst-likes which, despite sharing some similarities (first-person view, environmental puzzles, little to no action,..), are considerably different experiences.

Here's a leet PowerPoint-powered mock-up:

To make the link between games more explicit, it would be cool if one could upvote/downvote each separate tag and freely select a subset of the available ones to create a "composite tag", which then would be used to select the nodes and display the graph.

Something like this:

The number of games displayed and the "distance" from the target game (i.e. similarity) would depend on which games you own. If, like me, you own most well known and highly-rated Myst-likes, the selection of nodes would propagate further and suggest less obvious titles.

What do you guys think?
Thats similar to this for music can't edit the links yourself. Musicroamer - Discover New Music or
Liveplasma Discovery Engine Think everything gets linked through amazon somehow. They fun to play with.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I haven't tried mechanical keyboards myself but these days I swear by steelseries, they've replaced good old logitech for me.

From the listed products only Apex 150 isn't mechanical. Obviously you can turn off the lights and unless shown as a single color they're just showing that it's RGB lighting you have full control over, not that it's so colorful and wild combinations by default. If I ever replace other gear I'm sticking with them until something disappoints me. I already have Sony headphones or I'd also try their Actis 3. You may find them cheaper in other retailers. Or more expensive.

I have a keyboard and mouse of theirs (their cheapest, Rival 100 and Apex 100, both replaced with the 110 variants nowadays, though they've also been bumped up in the price which sucks I guess). The mouse is RGB capable, the keyboard blue only, I don't think they look bad or gaudy. Non beauty shot:

Last edited:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Status
Not open for further replies.