Community MetaSteam | April 2019 - "Objection!" the One Finger Fatality

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

taskmaster
Dec 8, 2018
It seems that Girlfriend Reviews was going to get paid for today's Borderlands video, but they (she doesnt say who, but probably Gearbox) rescinded their offer 15 hours before uploading the video. Scummy as hell.

Not to be too self promotional here, but I've got some fire posts about Borderlands 2 and Gearbox that GAF couldn't handle back in the day. I'll compile them when I get the chance.

Gearbox is practically a criminal enterprise. We'll look back at them in 10 years like we do Silicon Knights.

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
It's 100% a view into the mind of a class-based capitalist.

The citizens are neatly divided into strictly different classes and these classes determine where they will work and what luxuries they will be able to obtain, upwards mobility is arbitrary and exclusively dependent on the needs of the economy, there is no metocracy or equality, the citizens will just have to win the luck of the draw if they want to go to school.

But it's fun to play.
wait what do you mean class-based

"classes" and "capitalist" are very marxist terms so depending of what those two mean in the game it could very well be something you think it's not

not enough!
see zkylon? told ya

some day...

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
It's a cool vid but she says "looting and shooting" smh
... and now I like their videos even more!

Not to be too self promotional here, but I've got some fire posts about Borderlands 2 and Gearbox that GAF couldn't handle back in the day. I'll compile them when I get the chance.

Gearbox is practically a criminal enterprise. We'll look back at them in 10 years like we do Silicon Knights.
Well, I think right now is probably a good time to dig them up... and I'm curious now :)

OSatan

OFather OSun
Played the Dark Souls 2 I yoiked...

And It is impressive still how many people are playing it, the way the character creation is set up you can see the ghost when you start and there where a lot starting at the same time as me.

Also the hub area is the comfiest thing ever, I hated the "kill a boss and then start" trend this is a better set up, go and maybe do something.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

DeejayDoom

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
The skill points grind on Sekiro is fucking insane. Finished the game 4 times and still need 25 points. The funny thing is i'm finishing the NG+ runs so fast that maybe it's better to just continue doing that instead of farming.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Played the Dark Souls 2 I yoiked...

And It is impressive still how many people are playing it, the way the character creation is set up you can see the ghost when you start and there where a lot starting at the same time as me.

Also the hub area is the comfiest thing ever, I hated the "kill a boss and then start" trend this is a better set up, go and maybe do something.
Yeah its cool. Ive been playing Dark Souls 3 and there are blood splats and messages and ive summond plenty of jolly cooperationers.

Reactions: Kvik

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!

vastly superior Wii U Pro pad,
What's a Wii U?

:wd_p:

It needs a Dark Souls HUD.

--

Time for me to finish Case 1-5 in Ace Attorney today. The back and forth between Phoenix and Edgeworth in Trials Day 2 was quite enjoyable. I'm kinda whatever on the 3D object examination thing though.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
It seems that Girlfriend Reviews was going to get paid for today's Borderlands video, but they (she doesnt say who, but probably Gearbox) rescinded their offer 15 hours before uploading the video. Scummy as hell.

Was that their first promoted video? Did they do promotions for other games?

1. This seriously damages their "brand". Previously, you could live in the dream that they really just make videos about the games they love to play and not the biggest and hottest or memest games to get klicks.
2. Paid "reviews" You shouldn't use the word "review" if you are getting paid (from the dev/pub) to do it. (Or rather, you were told you will get paid)

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

1. This seriously damages their "brand". Previously, you could live in the dream that they really just make videos about the games they love to play and not the biggest and hottest or memest games to get klicks.
2. Paid "reviews" You shouldn't use the word "review" if you are getting paid (from the dev/pub) to do it. (Or rather, you were told you will get paid)
Their reviews are not really reviews. Basically they are comedic commentary about the girl watching her boyfriend play.

Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Arkanius

Dec 21, 2018

In the Yoshi's video they said they would have to do some paid content to support the channel that was growing in size.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Their reviews are not really reviews. Basically they are comedic commentary about the girl watching her boyfriend play.
I know, I liked the channel. But it is a difference if you do those funny reviews because you like the games or because it is especially funny in your chosen format (which is innovative), or because you get money from the devs for it.

In the Yoshi's video they said they would have to do some paid content to support the channel that was growing in size.
That seems... odd. A growing channel doesn't cost more. On the contrary, it means more potential money.
Integrity is the one currency that Influencers and Personalities can't afford to lose. If you need more money, go to Patreon or Twitch so that your fans can support you. What you shouldn't do is getting money from the big guys and make "reviews" out of it, regardless if those are funny or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Copons

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Brighton, UK
copons.wordpress.com
Dio bono quanto mi stancano 'sti scoppiati...

I have no clue what he's going on about... I mean, most of his points are moot anyway... he made what appears to be one really uninspired game: and his upcoming release doesn't look much better

They just look generic AF.

He's basically saying that reviews shouldn't be allowed since people left negative reviews about his game and asked for a refund...
Maybe he should realize that if you make a good game, it's unlikely it'll go unnoticed for too long... I'm not saying that the storefront can't be considerably improved but, I mean, if your product blows nobody is going to buy it. Valve is not in the turd polishing business.

Edit: I found his LinkedIn page and he's been in the industry for longer than I thought... but still... here's the kind of stuff he helped develop www.artematica.com
Yup, he worked at Milestone as well.
But I didn't want to explicitly call him out for his career and his stakes in this whole thing because it's not the point, is it?

I mean, personally, I believe these people have a vested interest in this "war", but I can't back it up with data like everything else I wrote in the post, so I'd rather just leave it be.

Also, let me thank all the mad folks who went and read my long ass post through Google Translate.
You are crazy, I love you so much!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I know, I liked the channel. But it is a difference if you do those funny reviews because you like the games or because it is especially funny in your chosen format (which is innovative), or because you get money from the devs for it.

That seems... odd. A growing channel doesn't cost more. On the contrary, it means more potential money.
Integrity is the one currency that Influencers and Personalities can't afford to lose. If you need more money, go to Patreon or Twitch so that your fans can support you. What you shouldn't do is getting money from the big guys and make "reviews" out of it, regardless if those are funny or not.
She's cancelled anyway, she didn't like Yoshi :p

Reactions: 「Echo」

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Why couldn't Humble send me a $3 Monthly coupon for a month with a Steam game?

Reactions: Galdere

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
But I didn't want to explicitly call him out for his career and his stakes in this whole thing because it's not the point, is it?

I mean, personally, I believe these people have a vested interest in this "war", but I can't back it up with data like everything else I wrote in the post, so I'd rather just leave it be.

Also, let me thank all the mad folks who went and read my long ass post through Google Translate.
Google translate is pretty good now, and the few things it didn't get right were easy to guess from the context (and in some cases, because some words are similar to Spanish ones :D )

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
The skill points grind on Sekiro is fucking insane. Finished the game 4 times and still need 25 points. The funny thing is i'm finishing the NG+ runs so fast that maybe it's better to just continue doing that instead of farming.
i mean, just don't get all the skills?

i know there's an achievement for it but achievements are a waste of time

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018

Yes! It is for the best.
This reads like the most EGS-pre-approved, bullet-point-list ever.
I mean, "deliver the game experience that we want our fans to play" is such a bullshit overused PR phrase that is included in nearly every small-scale EGS Exclusive that you might wonder if they (EGS) don't have better PR writers or they just can't come up with any other positive spin.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019

I guess the temptation is there because some arguments essentially boil down to "I am failing due to Steam", though I agree it's much more easier - and justifiable - to point out at GOOD game and their successes (such as Supraland).

Reactions: Copons

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

Gearbox really is the worst if they can scam the nicest people on youtube.

I feel like Randy Pitchford would do that chappelle show skit where he visits the kid with cancer but for real and it wouldn't surprise me at this point.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
More people need to play Dustforce. It really is one of the best games of the last 5+ years IMO.
Dustforce is pretty cool. I didn't really like extra stages that came with Dustforce DX though, especially monochrome aesthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.