Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Why does Humble think Hitman 2 base price is 90€??? Am I missing something?

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Is there a detailed list anywhere of Oculus Store exclusive titles? Anything I can find on google is fairly bitty =/
Even the Oculus Originals page on the Oculus website doesn't appear to be up to date.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I can definitely see the frustration, but I'm curious if I'm understanding this right; would you want Sekiro to save progress in the middle of a boss-fight? If so that makes no sense to me. I've never played a game where I could go back to a boss after a death and have it at half health. That would take away the whole purpose of a boss fight in my view. You might as well be invincible since there's no need to learn the fight if you can start off right where you died previously.
For sure, but isn't this distinction completely arbitrary? They might as well remove the phases and keep a persistent health-bar throughout the whole fight and it would still be the same fight; it just wouldn't be as clear when you entered a new phase. The health bar is practically divided into three parts.
Well I finally got to sleep but nice to see some interesting discussion followed up! A lot of my points were kind of touched on already but I can respond to these directly too.

I did mention that games like Sekiro tend to vary in this - most of the actual boss fights (maybe all but 2?) in the game I was 100% fine with the actual fight. Most of the bosses don't significantly change between healthbar 1 and 2, and they only have the 2 to begin with. In those examples, any problem I have is with getting back to the boss fight itself, several of them just involve minutes of stealth clearing out adds before you get back to the fight (not challenging, not learning, just time wasted). Without spoiling it too much, the last boss in Sekiro is super duper the worst offender for me: The first phase is a huge nothing-burger, or at least seemed like it to me (it's literally a weaker version of something you fought earlier), but it still takes time to get through. The second phase is completely different, but the is still pretty manageable on the first try. The third phase is yet again VERY different, and a spike up in challenge but I somehow survived it, only to get to the fourth phase which is actually insanely boggingly hard and changes up the patterns AGAIN and is the actual thing I was stuck on. Because the phases are so different, going through them again doesn't actually help me get better at the phase I lose to, that's where my problem comes in. Bosses that just have the 2 bars are usually more or less the same across both and so it's not really the same issue I take with them.

That's why I use Furi as my highlight example: The first two phases are related and play on similar themes and tactics usually. The third phase of each boss may as well be an entirely different level, it's 100% different than the first two parts and you use 0 of the skills you use in the first two parts of each boss to get through it. It's a complete waste of time to keep redoing those first two phases when they have no bearing on the part that is a wall. As I mentioned, I was getting to that third phase on each new boss on my first try with all my resources intact, and then losing everything because it was so much harder and so different. There was literally nothing I could gain by redoing those first two phases again and again. That's more drastic than in say Sekiro but the principle to me is the same.

If the phases are so distinct and so different that it's reasonable to expect each phase to be a unique challenge, they should actually be separated by a checkpoint, or at least give players that option. In Sekiro, I even would have been fine with the final phase being checkpointed with my resources available as they were because flask charges were not the issue, dude was just slamming me because I couldn't read his attacks or figure out an opening. I just needed to practice literally that phase. Much like I wish in the multi-phase "boss" tracks in Thumper they let you checkpoint between the phases, because other rhythm games figured out that songs have very distinct segments and let you practice just those parts because maybe 95% of the song you can ace, but you die in that 5%, and redoing that 95% is meaningless at that point.

I do also have an issue where boss fights are too long for no reason, I actually prefer more lethal fights as long as your attacks are also lethal, and that actually helps mitigate some of the above issue. Most of the Sekiro fights were not especially long, and the ones that were stood out. A lot of games have fights that just feel like they overstay their welcome by like 20-40% to me, that's personal preference but it also sucks when you are good at the "challenge" and just twiddling through it because that's just how it is. Deadcells was notorious for this because all their bosses had severe damage caps so no matter what every fight lasted forever (I believe they recently changed that).

Again, I don't mind hard games or challenges that respect your time. I even beat all the stupid jerk Valkyries in God of War and those were completely unnecessary, but since you could just restart the fights almost instantly and they weren't "phased" really I just kept charging into them till I figured them each out.

Completely unrelated, but this looks like the first Humble Monthly I'll pause in over a year. I have Hitman 2 and Gris and Opus is the only game out of the rest I kind of want. Both Hitman 2 and Gris are good though, so not like I think the quality is bad, just kinda wrong assortment for me.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I hope Truberbrook sold reasonably well. I always worry a little about the games that show up in Humble Choice. It was an ambitious art style for a point & click game and I hope it wasn't ignored. (I didn't back it).

Reactions: Deleted member 113

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Completed Resident Evil 2 Remake. Really good, short, but really good.

I get the complains about that there are parts that have been cut from the original, but I never played the original and there's a very small tiny chance I will play it despite owning it on my Vita. Tried it once actually, but didn't get into it.

Last edited:

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
On my second Half-Life: Alyx campaign. This time I'm taking a certain companion along with me.

It's going in!

C++ for the win. He could use some work on his versioning though.

When you're right, you're right.

I didn't notice these the first time. That explains all the cushioning in the room.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
lttp, but this is important to me.

As someone with fully modded and ReShaded FFIX, I just shouldn't launch/play it anytime soon? Like I have it set to only update when I launch because:

Is so damn good, I can't imagine playing without it. Wtf Square-Enix, literally my last post was praising you and wishing you a happy b-day. 😓

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
lttp, but this is important to me.

As someone with fully modded and ReShaded FFIX, I just shouldn't launch/play it anytime soon? Like I have it set to only update when I launch because:

Is so damn good, I can't imagine playing without it. Wtf Square-Enix, literally my last post was praising you and wishing you a happy b-day. 😓
At the moment it's back into the public version from before all the failed updates.

Reactions: 「Echo」

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'm still on Chapter 2, day 2. Drip feeding myself of it because this will be my last Trails game for a while. :dana_smile:
It's so good though! Not interested in doing the Cold Steel games? I'm probably going to play the edit of Ao next and then head back to Cold Steel 3.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
It's so good though! Not interested in doing the Cold Steel games? I'm probably going to play the edit of Ao next and then head back to Cold Steel 3.
Oh, I'm well aware! :dana_joy:

I'm not touching CS3/4 until after I've played Azure ... with good localisation at the very least. Furthermore, 1440p/144fps Zero has spoiled me rotten and it will be hard to go back to sub-1080p/30fps. :dana_blanket:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
"Game of the year"

I don't know about that PlayStation Universe. It's got some serious competition and the year has technically only sort of begun (I mean Disco came out at the end of 2019 and that cleaned house)

So both of these games will eventually make their way to PC? Will Nioh 2 also be a 6-8 month deal? I would think that they will put it on PC seeing how Nioh is KTs best selling game on PC.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Nvidia's GTC presentation on DLSS 2.0.

Interesting but unsurprising, mostly (exposure as an input did surprise me), and not much detail on the actual mechanics of it -- how it does what it does. Of course, that's often an issue with anything you do with ANNs.
Still think their examples are way oversharpened, but it's also what "the people" seem to want. Hope they get user settings for sharpness in there soon, the results are mostly really impressive in terms of genuine detail even without the sharpening.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Not going to spoil anything, but what's with this trend of remakes not being remakes and going off the deep end?
Balck Mesa, Resident Evil 3, FFVII... it's just so unlikable to see what they've done to the originals.
I used to feel the same way. but now my feeling is mostly.... meh. In an ideal world I'd love it for these remakes to be one to one perfect recreations, but if they're not, I'll just enjoy them for what they are and go back to the originals if I'm still craving that exact same experience since I don't mind playing retro games. Guess that's another perk of believing that good games don't just "age badly"!

Reactions: Li Kao

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm currently playing Good Company and well it's decent. It's not great but also not bad.

I like the idea that you yourself are a worker and that you have a avatar and stuff like that but it also kind of feels out of place.

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
Oh man, the discount went from -25% down to -10%.

Boo. Must have been an error.

Might as well just get it from Steam as I've got wallet funds.
It's -28% off for me with hamble discount.

EDIT: Oh, it was -25% without the hamble discount?

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
So both of these games will eventually make their way to PC? Will Nioh 2 also be a 6-8 month deal? I would think that they will put it on PC seeing how Nioh is KTs best selling game on PC.
Yes, both are 90% coming to PC in the next 8-12 months.
Does EA have their quarterly report at the end of the month? I forgot.

We will probably hear about EA Access and the other EA games on Steam around that time.
Probably, we just started the spring season so we will see how things go-

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Your opinion on it?
I like it!
Combat is on the simpler side of things but its theme of getting stories and events from cards is neat.
Therr are curses that give you debuffs and games of chance with 1/4 chances of success that add to the challenge

Will need to put some more time into Treachery in Beatdown City but as is I'll just take my chill time clearing it XP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.