Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-User (119)

Oct 19, 2018
finished resi 3 fully now

throughly enjoyed every moment of the game especially when getting to nightmare and everything gets flipped and so many things get changed like getting magnum near start of game instead of at hospital, enemy placements changing and sometimes enemys are in places there wernt even any before. you then have nemesis becoming crazzzzzy fast and really making things tense at times. oh yea and zombies also sprint at you when they get close to you on nightmare and above.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Reactions: Blizniak

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
[Chet's Tweet]
I just do not understand why folks continue to push the narrative that it is somehow it is a fault of Steam that most games tank? I mean, I spend untold amounts of dosh on games, mostly on indies, and yet I can barely scratch the surface of games that interest me. Steam cannot just force me to spend a certain amount of money on games or force me to buy a game, I have a limited budget. My purchase of game A may mean games B and C go onto the wishlist.

All Steam can do is continue to expand into regions that are lacking service and provided better pricing for folks in these regions. All of which it has done, and funny enough, some developers complained about things like regional pricing as "permanent discounts" even though that is the only way to increase total spend on Steam. It is a simple formula of folks having X amount of time/money a year and games costing a Y amount of time/money a year. More developers competing for the same piece of pie is going to mean someone may starve. Should it be like that? I genuinely wish it was not, but unless there is a solution for universal basic income and/or support of the arts, I am not sure there will be a meaningful solution from any private companies let alone one singular private company, especially when the prior solutions have been to just exclude games below a certain threshold from sale at all.

One counter-argument, is Valve could lower its revenue split, which is something to consider, but it is again something that is not so simple without having the data. If the split affords for additional services, more payment options, key generation, etc which increases the total spend (the X part of the simple formula) by more than it would have with a lower split, then it is a net gain in everyone's favour.

I now know why Valve has kept numbers close since folks have only honed in on the narrative they want rather than the reality of the situation, that there cannot be a world in which the vast majority of games are profitable let alone a simple majority of games.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

So I'm super-hyped for Cloudpunk, dropping in a couple weeks.

Came across a recent extended dev stream and the writing/voice-acting....was not good.

Not like, "I can just ignore it." bad. More like "painful" bad.

Hype is kinda deflated.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I just do not understand why folks continue to push the narrative that it is somehow it is a fault of Steam that most games tank? I mean, I spend untold amounts of dosh on games, mostly on indies, and yet I can barely scratch the surface of games that interest me. Steam cannot just force me to spend a certain amount of money on games or force me to buy a game, I have a limited budget. My purchase of game A may mean games B and C go onto the wishlist.

All Steam can do is continue to expand into regions that are lacking service and provided better pricing for folks in these regions. All of which it has done, and funny enough, some developers complained about things like regional pricing as "permanent discounts" even though that is the only way to increase total spend on Steam. It is a simple formula of folks having X amount of time/money a year and games costing a Y amount of time/money a year. More developers competing for the same piece of pie is going to mean someone may starve. Should it be like that? I genuinely wish it was not, but unless there is a solution for universal basic income and/or support of the arts, I am not sure there will be a meaningful solution from any private companies let alone one singular private company, especially when the prior solutions have been to just exclude games below a certain threshold from sale at all.

One counter-argument, is Valve could lower its revenue split, which is something to consider, but it is again something that is not so simple without having the data. If the split affords for additional services, more payment options, key generation, etc which increases the total spend (the X part of the simple formula) by more than it would have with a lower split, then it is a net gain in everyone's favour.

I now know why Valve has kept numbers close since folks have only honed in on the narrative they want rather than the reality of the situation, that there cannot be a world in which the vast majority of games are profitable let alone a simple majority of games.
couldn't agree more ... with pretty much everything you've said! :thumbsupblob:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Oh, it's the same mod like what I saw in January.

It looks like they've just released an updated version of the mod today.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Did anyone have a go at Disaster Report 4 demo? How was it?
Appreciated to see Gavan in there, quality is super shit though, but that's to be expected for a company that openly asked for fan subtitles.
There's a Blu-ray rip of the entire series floating around somewhere if you're inclined.

Reactions: Li Kao

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I finished Anima: The Nameless Chronicles yesterday.
I don't think it's as good as the previous game. Mostly because it's a side-quel that just retreads most of the same story from a different perspective, with some location, enemy and boss reuse and it's only half as long. Basically it's just much less ambitious (which I guess I understand, it's a 3 person team).
Still, the new stuff is very good (Nameless' backstory is great) and the general gameplay is fun enough that the reuse isn't so bad.

I hope they make a proper sequel eventually.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
As an AZERTY born and raised, I don't mind games not supporting AZERTY because it couldn't be easier to switch to QWERTY, even in games. I still don't understand why on French forums so many people are angry to see games not supporting AZERTY...
But when I lived in another country, I had to learn to use QWERTY (and watch out, there's several existing QWERTY layouts around the world) and I feel for Monooboe because that's painful to learn a new layout.

Just wanted to share my weekly Newspeek (didn't post here for a while...) : Newspeek #17 - DYSTOPEEK Jeux Vidéo actualité Steam

And this wonderful video from a French Youtuber, an analysis of Dark Souls lore. Don't know if there's subtitles already, but still, check this guy's videos (sometimes about games but mostly about dark and disturbed art), always worth the shot. His name is Alt236, enjoy :

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

Valve provided developers with a frictionless system for selling their games to a massive worldwide audience but nobody can guarantee them success. Steam has the best discovery tools around yet developers still refuse to accept the reality of the situation that people have a finite amount of time and money.

I've used my personal example before but I feel that it shows what the actual problem is. Some years ago I was buying turn-based games on Steam basically sight unseen because there were so few of them available. Today I have more than 30 such games on my wishlist. It's not that I didn't discover those games. There are simply way more games available than I am able to make the time for and afford so I prioritize.

The only 'solution' is for the distributor (in this case, Valve) to decide which games live or die by locking most developers out. Which is great if you are one of the lucky few but an absolute death sentence for everyone else. The problem is that most developers strongly feel that their games would get in for sure while the harsh reality is that the overwhelming majority of them would be locked out.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Ori and the Will of the Wisps got a patch, performance was significantly improved and they've also added dynamic HUD option. If you still haven't played the game, I recommend you to get it on the next sale or via Gamepass, because it should be good now!
I still have low audio issues and sent them my dxdiag to see if they find out what's causing this. I need to set my laptop's volume to twice as I normally set it to even get the SFX to be viable.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Ori and the Will of the Wisps got a patch, performance was significantly improved and they've also added dynamic HUD option. If you still haven't played the game, I recommend you to get it on the next sale or via Gamepass, because it should be good now!
Do you know if the patch is on Game Pass too?

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Valve provided developers with a frictionless system for selling their games to a massive worldwide audience but nobody can guarantee them success. Steam has the best discovery tools around yet developers still refuse to accept the reality of the situation that people have a finite amount of time and money.

I've used my personal example before but I feel that it shows what the actual problem is. Some years ago I was buying turn-based games on Steam basically sight unseen because there were so few of them available. Today I have more than 30 such games on my wishlist. It's not that I didn't discover those games. There are simply way more games available than I am able to make the time for and afford so I prioritize.

The only 'solution' is for the distributor (in this case, Valve) to decide which games live or die by locking most developers out. Which is great if you are one of the lucky few but an absolute death sentence for everyone else. The problem is that most developers strongly feel that their games would get in for sure while the harsh reality is that the overwhelming majority of them would be locked out.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, Dandy Dungeon is tempting me, but not sure if I want it on PC or Switch.
Not even sure I really want it, the mobile version was great until the grind became too much, and sometimes good things should stay in the past (it's not an attack on the game's merits).

Reactions: lashman

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

Explore Mode was released yesterday! I just bought the game beacause of this new mode.
What's the difference in this new mode? All I gathered from the announcement is that it's less punishing, but I don't really have a frame of reference.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What's the difference in this new mode? All I gathered from the announcement is that it's less punishing, but I don't really have a frame of reference.
From what I understand: no thirst, no hunger, checkpoints.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Hmm, Dandy Dungeon is tempting me, but not sure if I want it on PC or Switch.
Not even sure I really want it, the mobile version was great until the grind became too much, and sometimes good things should stay in the past (it's not an attack on the game's merits).
I am likely grabbing it next week esp. as they're offering the sequel as per the game's description.

Galdere

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
I will say about 95% sure yes, but I have a ticket into bethesda support to find out that exact question so I can tell you when they fucking answer me (ive been waiting for 18+ hours now for them to respond)

I'm saying 95% sure because I only have one steam account and only one bethesda account and I only would of linked them together with each other and I made mine for Fallout76 so it makes sense, but yeah it doesn't list any account name but my linked twitch account displays "Twitch name"
Did anyone find out yet from Bethesda about this? Thanks.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

I can't click the steam icon, does it mean I have it already linked? It on the Bethesda account.
Yeah, that doesn't quite look right, no name under the steam like mine. I can't click on mine either, maybe it's a one shot deal?

I added steam after finding out about the deal, the xbox one was already linked at some point in the past, can't remember when.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I was scrolling through new releases and saw something that, as someone who translated media products in the past and is looking for work in the area, made my blood boil.

Be advised, rant below:

Devs who use crowdsourced community-based translations for their games are

1. Unprofessional as heck
2. Parasitic assholes

1. Unprofessional because translating a work of fiction is not a work of mere transposition of words into another language. It's a work of cultural adaptation -- you read all the text you have to work on, understand its meaning and its context and how it can be translated into your own language and for a different culture and only then you get to work, also trying to translate the same stuff in the same way and maintain a consistent style. These tools give you random lines to translate with no damn context, with no central figure to adapt all translations to common criteria and no check whatsoever. It's also much different from an organized team of fan-translators because the better ones share the same figures of professional teams. So, in resorting to these tools, you prove that you're an unprofessional hack and you have no idea of what you're doing.

2. Parasitic assholes because translations give a product a whole new audience the author can make money from, so you need to pay your damn translators. But of course, reality is hard and the indie scene is not an easy world so it's totally understandable that sometimes you have to resort to the good old "job for visibility" trade-off, which is terrible but often the only viable solution -- people translate your game in a professional way, either as solo freelancer or in an organized team, and you put them in the credits using their names and maybe you give them a little gift such as a copy of the game or some other cool thing as a thank you. Nothing of sorts with these crappy tools -- you get no money because 'of course we got no money', no visibility because 'of course not, you're not even a team and you can hop on and off whenever you want', not even a sweet kiss on the bottom just to say they appreciated your work. No, no, you're a cretin being exploited by assholes and hurting both yourself and your future and a whole category. And then maybe some of these devs also go on twitter and complain about how fucking unfair the job of indie developer is. FUUUUUCK YOU.

There, rant over. Bye.

Last edited:

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

It greatly annoys me whenever the proposed solution to "not all indie games make enough money" is "let's just not allow 80% of indie devs to make money at all, then maybe there's more for the other 20%".

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Do you know if the patch is on Game Pass too?
Just got the patch for Ori on GamePass as well, pretty big patch too at 11GB.
I feel it runs a bit better, but hard to say, I didn't play it for long before the patch hit

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just got the patch for Ori on GamePass as well, pretty big patch too at 11GB.
I feel it runs a bit better, but hard to say, I didn't play it for long before the patch hit
11 gb? You sure Windows Store didn't download the whole game again for you? I think it was 1.5 gb or something on Steam yesterday.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Yeah, that doesn't quite look right, no name under the steam like mine. I can't click on mine either, maybe it's a one shot deal?

I added steam after finding out about the deal, the xbox one was already linked at some point in the past, can't remember when.
Damn, I think I created the bethesda account through a game from steam, so maybe it's linked that way? Looking to write support but the option is to unlink it...

Edit: Saw that it is linked even without name, if I launch Fallout 4 and go into creation club I should see the steam account show there

Last edited:

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018

Asset flip makers don't realize that if games like Dishonored 2 bomb they have no chance.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
How's the Switch emulation now? I have a switch and zelda too, but playing it at 60 fps sure would be different
There's a Wii U version that is identical to the Switch version. It works pretty great in CEMU. Probably a lot better now since I last tried it.

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
I don't how developers of Puzzle-Platformer #3679 expect to sell. I mean, unless your product is something totally new, you first have to see if there's an existing market and interest, and then develop your product. This is sad, but it's how things work. If your game is of actual quality and there's a market for it, there's a really good chance it will sell a good amount.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Damn forgot one collectible in Life is Strange 2 Episode 2 that is in a cutscene and checkpoint was right after... hmh do I restart the episode or just SAM it...

Edit: Nice there is an option to replay chapters in a mode just for collectibles

Last edited:
Reactions: Pommes and Milena

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I was scrolling through new releases and saw something that, as someone who translated media products in the past and is looking for work in the area, made my blood boil.

Be advised, rant below:

2. Parasitic assholes

1. Unprofessional because translating a work of fiction is not a work of mere transposition of words into another language. It's a work of cultural adaptation -- you read all the text you have to work on, understand its meaning and its context and how it can be translated into your own language and for a different culture and only then you get to work, also trying to translate the same stuff in the same way and maintain a consistent style. These tools give you random lines to translate with no damn context, with no central figure to adapt all translations to common criteria and no check whatsoever. It's also much different from an organized team of fan-translators because the better ones share the same figures of professional teams. So, in resorting to these tools, you prove that you're an unprofessional hack and you have no idea of what you're doing.

2. Parasitic assholes because translations give a product a whole new audience the author can make money from, so you need to pay your damn translators. But of course, reality is hard and the indie scene is not an easy world so it's totally understandable that sometimes you have to resort to the good old "job for visibility" trade-off, which is terrible but often the only viable solution -- people translate your game in a professional way, either as solo freelancer or in an organized team, and you put them in the credits using their names and maybe you give them a little gift such as a copy of the game or some other cool thing as a thank you. Nothing of sorts with these crappy tools -- you get no money because 'of course we got no money', no visibility because 'of course not, you're not even a team and you can hop on and off whenever you want', not even a sweet kiss on the bottom just to say they appreciated your work. No, no, you're a cretin being exploited by assholes and hurting both yourself, your future and a whole category. And then maybe some of these devs also go on twitter and complain about how fucking unfair the job of indie developer is. FUUUUUCK YOU.

There, rant over. Bye.

Leaving a thumbs up isn't nearly enough to convey how much I agree with you. I met a few Japanese-English translators and the amount of passion, involvement into the game and time spent is far beyond what people imagine at first glance. It isn't anything like a writer's position, but it would most definitively be something akin to making sure a movie's translation to bluray is made adequately. They ensure the optics are respected and that the experience is as intended.

Unfortunately, we only hear about translators when the job is botched, like most other positions in the gaming industry, but I certainly appreciate them doing a good job.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019

2. Parasitic assholes
Preach.
I already have a very conflicted relation to fan initiated translation of media (barely understandable manga, subtitles with no notion of reading time, etc.), but this is pathetic. All around I would say that for several years the state of subtitles have been not great, at all.

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
My wrists have been bothering me again (doom eternal on the PS4 will do that). Still pissy at me a week later.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a recent, 'one handed' (mouse only) game, new this year?

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm happy to announce that I resisted the temptation to joke about the one handed game :fashionblob:
Maybe give us a genre to work with. I mean, no point replying about some games if you hate the genre.

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Preach.
I already have a very conflicted relation to fan initiated translation of media (barely understandable manga, subtitles with no notion of reading time, etc.), but this is pathetic. All around I would say that for several years the state of subtitles have been not great, at all.
I can tell you that it depends a lot on who the translators are. I started as a fan-subber for tv shows for what was the biggest Italian fan-subbing community at the time and the organization was top-notch. You had the same translators for every episode of the show, a central figure to oversee the work, often with an expertise in a particular field when a series involved technical terms, several tools and loads of guidelines, with a particular emphasis on subtitles length, timing, syncing and all those aspects. I really learned an awful lot. And you can find a lot of similar stories in many other countries. I think Netflix was found stealing fan-made subtitles in several markets when it started. Of course other websites or people were much less organized.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Edit: Nice there is an option to replay chapters in a mode just for collectibles
was about to mention that ... then i saw your edit :p but yes, that's the way to do it :)

My wrists have been bothering me again (doom eternal on the PS4 will do that). Still pissy at me a week later.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a recent, 'one handed' (mouse only) game, new this year?
Voxelgram is pretty great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.