Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So apparently Crysis Remastered is based on the console version.

Im pretty sure that version has the slimmed down nanosuit modes and I will be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: Swenhir

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
The scale option only impact the OS and do not have issues in-game ? Stupid question, but then again, it's windows (rebuild-icon-cache) 10 we are talking about.
It does create issues in games and that's exactly why I don't use it. One prominent recent example was NISA's Killer7 remaster/port.

As long as they don't muck up the layout for those of us on monitors. I never have the Steam Client fullscreen so as long as it can sit to one side of my screen out of the way i'll be happy.
100% they could fix it without screwing it up for everyone else very simply.

This is how discord does it. This is how 90% of modern programs do it. Just simple scaling options in the program itself.

Heck Winamp, a program dead for nearly a decade offers UI scaling. I will never understand why Steam cannot. Whatever excuse may be conjured will always seem implausible to me.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
In case you missed it :

If you beat Cyrano Story, a free game by Alice&Smith (The Black Watchmen, Nite Team 4...), you can win a key for Moons of Madness :

You may need to try a few times (got mine after 2 runs) before getting your key.

Game is hard, way more than their previous games, but if you don't want spoilers, don't like this post, you'll see the walkthrough :steam_cleanseal:

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I have been summoned! :blobcheer:

But yeah, MHW is one that has taken me by surprise. I never expected it to be one I would spend so much time with and I don't expect to stop any time soon either. As Theswweet said Iceborne was such an incredible addition that made an already great game even better.

It's one I can't recommend enough if folks like the base game and haven't bought Iceborne, it's truly worth it.
I want to experience the base game without having so much content be, for a lack fo better words, broken by the expansion. I deliberately do not use the guardian armor in order to have that experience. I'll get Iceborne when I'm done with the base journey :).

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
The scale option only impact the OS and do not have issues in-game ? Stupid question, but then again, it's windows (rebuild-icon-cache) 10 we are talking about.
I use scaling and it's caused a few issues over the years. Can't remember which games it caused problems with so that probably tells you a little about frequency and scale of problems though. :)

Reactions: Li Kao

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
In case you missed it :

If you beat Cyrano Story, a free game by Alice&Smith (The Black Watchmen, Nite Team 4...), you can win a key for Moons of Madness :

You may need to try a few times (got mine after 2 runs) before getting your key.

Game is hard, way more than their previous games, but if you don't want spoilers, don't like this post, you'll see the walkthrough :steam_cleanseal:

[Hidden content]
I played through four times and got no key 😢

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Completely void of any credibility by placing the C64 ahead of the Neo Geo classic. It's embarrassing the huge amount of reviewers that only play by nostalgia. It's also noticeable how none of them has any skill in fighting games. Just keep playing your favorite mascot platformers.
Fighters really aren't for everyone though, I find the genre for the most part incredibly lame and too uninteresting to spend time gidding gud. And other reviews say the same about the Neo Geo, that it has blurry HDMI output which kills it right there for me and the stick/gamepad aren't great. In the end it's too expensive due to the gimmicky screen (not battery-powered so not usable on the go anyway) and they should've focused on other, more important aspects. Meanwhile the C64 has its own flaws and I wouldn't buy the version with the fake keyboard but there are a few nifty advantages like loading in additional games and its insanely big and diverse library.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I use scaling and it's caused a few issues over the years. Can't remember which games it caused problems with so that probably tells you a little about frequency and scale of problems though. :)
Basically, it will cause issues if the games don't correctly report their DPI scaling compatibility (which is actually really simple to do, you just need to set the option in the program manifest).

A good thing is that it's relatively easy to fix that as a user if a program didn't do it right.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
It's honestly an interesting question for Durante since he actually ports/programs games for PC.

• Why would a developer let Windows dictate the resolution of a game ever?
  • What is the difference (Programming wise) between a game that renders itself based on an option you select, versus rendering at a resolution the OS picks?
  • In what Universe does anyone, (Game Dev or Microsoft Engineer), believe it is a good idea to let Windows scaling options interfere with the process ever?
  • When you yourself are porting/coding games, is Windows scaling options something you consciously think of and remember to disable?
  • Is this something hidden from developers or complicated to reach? Why/how could they forget something that seems so simple?

Thanks for your time if you decide to mull over any of this lol.

edit: .... anddddd literally one minute before I post this. smh. sorry to bug you durante.

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Durante
Could you provide any insight on this? Yeah it is an old article but M2 haven't taken any strides yet to release the games on PC
Why don’t M2 bring their releases to Steam and PC? M2 planner Kazuki Kubota acknowledges that even on their trailers for the M2 Shot Triggers series of titles on Youtube, lots of people complain that the games aren’t being released on Steam. Horii states that the reason is because they have to account for various PC hardware environments. While their releases work decently on Windows 7, as soon as it hits Windows 10 slowdown occurs, and they haven’t found an acceptable solution yet. As soon as they find one, they’ll put more effort into PC releases.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Why would a developer let Windows dictate the resolution of a game ever?
Aversion to implementing settings maybe, or trying to keep things as simple as possible?

What is the difference (Programming wise) between a game that renders itself based on an option you select, versus rendering at a resolution the OS picks?
Well, in both cases you need to be able to deal with arbitrary resolutions rendering-wise, so that's the same.
Then the only real difference is having to implement a mechanism for the user to select the resolution. So basically, querying available resolutions, storing the selection, and a UI for that. The first two should take any experienced programmer less than a few hours, the UI part depends on the game's tooling (and things like localization requirements etc.

In what Universe does anyone, (Game Dev or Microsoft Engineer), believe it is a good idea to let Windows scaling options interfere with the process ever?
I don't think anyone actively believes that. It's a function of how DPI scaling in WIndows works with "legacy" applications.

When you yourself are porting/coding games, is Windows scaling options something you consciously think of and remember to disable?
Yes. You need to set a game to self-identify as "DPI-aware" so that it doesn't get into the legacy application path on systems with DPI scaling.

Is this something hidden from developers or complicated to reach? Why/how could they forget something that seems so simple?
It's not hidden but also not in your face. I think the reasons it is forgotten is a combination of lack of experience developing for Windows and lack of good QA testing (and response!).

Again, for a decent developer confronted with the issue, reading up on how to deal with it and implementing the fix should take less than an hour. And then it's fixed forever in that code base.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Durante
Could you provide any insight on this? Yeah it is an old article but M2 haven't taken any strides yet to release the games on PC
Honestly, just going from that it's almost impossible to know.
There are some things that changed in Windows 10 that make it a bit more difficult to deliver solid framepacing for full screen programs, but it's really just a question of getting your swap chain set up correctly.
Again, this is something that should take maybe a day or two to figure out while reading the documentation carefully, so it's hard to give it credit as the issue truly preventing someone from going ahead with a port if they wanted to.
Of course, it could be something much more obscure which I can't think of right now, but that seems unlikely. Once your game is running and if your swap chain is set up right (and if you are not depending on any W10-only features), there's nothing so fundamentally different going on in W10 compared to W7 that it would cause a consistent and perceptible difference on a human timescale.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
So many great, or more like fantastic games to play but I don't know what I want to play.XD
Time to try out Steam's Play Next experiment :D

Reactions: lashman

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
In case you missed it :

[Hidden content]
Got one after 3 tries. Thanks for the heads up!

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Episode 2 done of Batman Telltale S1. While I think Batman stories from now on should come with pre-murdered parents I think here they put a nice twist on them with them not being angel billionaires as they are portrayed pretty much everytime I have seen them (which tbf is mostly movies) but as some of the biggest criminals in the city. Hope they can keep it up. Also liked that the second episode was a bit shorter because at times the first episode had some lengths.

Been a while since I last played a Telltale game but I want to say that the cinematography is the best I have seen from them so far. The only hinderance is as always the animations and the stitching together of scenes but I would think that these are the more budget intensive areas.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Honestly, just going from that it's almost impossible to know.
There are some things that changed in Windows 10 that make it a bit more difficult to deliver solid framepacing for full screen programs, but it's really just a question of getting your swap chain set up correctly.
Again, this is something that should take maybe a day or two to figure out while reading the documentation carefully, so it's hard to give it credit as the issue truly preventing someone from going ahead with a port if they wanted to.
Of course, it could be something much more obscure which I can't think of right now, but that seems unlikely. Once your game is running and if your swap chain is set up right (and if you are not depending on any W10-only features), there's nothing so fundamentally different going on in W10 compared to W7 that it would cause a consistent and perceptible difference on a human timescale.
Thanks for the info. I'd agree that looking at the documentation of how they go about getting the games running would help figuring out a possible way to get them to work on W10.
It recommended me Dark Souls 2, and I can't handle difficult games haha!
I got Evoland 2 (didn't play 1 yet so Evoland series)
Brothers a tale of two sons
INSIDE

So play those, should be a mite easier to get through.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018
In case you missed it :

[Hidden content]
9 tries and counting, I'll get it eventually :cryblob:

Reactions: TheTrain and Ruvon

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
It was cheaper to buy the Darks Souls 3 Deluxe Edition than buying the Season Pass as I was missing both DLC. Is it something common or is just Bandai Namco messing something?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It was cheaper to buy the Darks Souls 3 Deluxe Edition than buying the Season Pass as I was missing both DLC. Is it something common or is just Bandai Namco messing something?
It's really more common than it should be. I've noticed it with various games from all kinds of publishers.

A great way to motivate people to keep buying your games at release :/

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
In case you missed it :

[Hidden content]
Got it on my 5th try. Game was on my wishlist so this was a nice giveaway. Thank you Ruvon !

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
So I got all the lord souls and I'm heading to the Artorias DLC now, with that in mind I finally get what people said about later areas from Dark Souls being bad, especially Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. While that place wasn't hard or anything like that it feels like just a big empty space and the enemies allocations don't make too much sense at all, like who decided to put all those dragon butts down there?

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Does anyone know if it's limited deal? Would love to tackle by the game by myself, but it'd take me forever to clear the game (especially since I still only have 60% progress on Ahnayro, which is apparently easier) .
I don't know... There's no info about a time limitation in Cyrano. But it's waaaay shorter than Ahnayro. And it's related to Funcom / The Secret World lore.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Really hoping this reaches a final state this year :blobeyes:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Realistically when's the next chance for a big sale on Tecmo games?

Golden Week maybe?

=============

Btw, this is Steam at 4K. It's hideous and I'm not sure how/if Valve can fix it. So much wasted space.

Been noticing similar things on a number of websites. It really sucks.
Dunno why they look like that. Maybe prioritizing mobile users.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
I reinstalled FFXIV due to the free weekend to just chill and look around, and I was immediately greeted by a group of lalafell having a concert upon login.

The game is so packed with people, and people are just chilling and chatting. Good times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.