Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
In case you missed it :

If you beat Cyrano Story, a free game by Alice&Smith (The Black Watchmen, Nite Team 4...), you can win a key for Moons of Madness :

You may need to try a few times (got mine after 2 runs) before getting your key.

Game is hard, way more than their previous games, but if you don't want spoilers, don't like this post, you'll see the walkthrough :steam_cleanseal:

[Hidden content]
+10 tries later I wonder if they patched it out :anguished-face:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I reinstalled FFXIV due to the free weekend to just chill and look around, and I was immediately greeted by a group of lalafell having a concert upon login.

The game is so packed with people, and people are just chilling and chatting. Good times ahead.
That game has the friendliest community I've ever seen in an MMO short of Wildstar, but the 1.5s UCD just killed any kind of flow I could have gameplay-wise.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Watch out tho : some players reported that they are getting The Black Watchmen or NITE Team 4 instead of Moons of Madness (already got both of them so I had no chance that may happen).

Giveaway Guideline
As part of the release of this free ARG experience, you also have a chance to win a Steam key for various games in the extended universe of The Secret World, including: The Black Watchmen, NITE Team 4 or Moons of Madness. This little extra giveaway event will run as long as there are keys left, but keep in mind that this project first goal is to introduce players to the lore of Moons of Madness and Secret World Legend.

Deleted member 113

Watch out tho : some players reported that they are getting The Black Watchmen or NITE Team 4 instead of Moons of Madness (already got both of them so I had no chance that may happen).
No, you can definitely still get Moons of Madness.
I just got a copy on my third try. :)

A patch was released earlier, and they added a couple more games to the giveaway.

I'm really happy I managed to get a copy of Moons of Madness. It's a game I wanted to try. (y)

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
No, you can definitely still get Moons of Madness.
I just got a copy on my third try. :)

A patch was released earlier, and they added a couple more games to the giveaway.

I'm really happy I managed to get a copy of Moons of Madness. It's a game I wanted to try. (y)
Never said you couldn't get Moons of Madness, just said you MIGHT get the other games instead ;)

Glad you got Moons of Madness !

And keep the faith freshVeggie !

Reactions: Deleted member 113

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
It's now patched, yes. Only one try per account. And other games got added to drops too.

Hidden content
You need to react to this post in order to see this content.

Deleted member 113

It's now patched, yes. Only one try per account. And other games got added to drops too.

[Hidden content]
There's probably a bug, since I finished the game again, got a message saying I got a copy of Moons of Madness, pressed to start again on the main menu (I was going for the achievement for completing it 7 times) and instead of re-starting the game, I simply got a different key (it was for The Black Watchmen). Did the same again, and I got yet another different key (it was for NITE Team 4 - Military Hacking Division).

So yeah, 3 free games. :eek:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's too bad about the second half with the ape monsters though, a real far cry from the original game. I'll see myself out.
The second half sort of makes we wish that there was a first person Jurassic Park Horror Survival game (is that Dino Crisis, if Dino Crisis was a FPS?)

Deleted member 113

The levels in Cyrano Story, are they in order? Or do they unlock randomly? Did the first level but it didnt unlock the ball next to it but counting from left to right its the fifth ball.
The order is always the same, but they are not next to one another in the "map".

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Realistically when's the next chance for a big sale on Tecmo games?

Golden Week maybe?
There was a KT sale a bit over a month ago. Golden Week at the earliest, probably a 50/50 chance for that, otherwise summer sale, I guess.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
When will we get affordable OLED monitors? Also how is the response time on those? Could you have one with high refresh rate? Also more things on mobile should just have OLED mode rather than "dark mode". Since Dark mode just gets you grays but the OLED mode makes everything complete black.

I have an IPS monitor and it looks nice, it does have some bleeding but it's not that bad though

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018

Does this still ring true? Feels like IPS has gotten a lot better and affordable over the years.
I wouldn't feel worse for chosing it.
IPS is great choice imo. I didn't even give thought to VA when I upgraded my monitor this year.

TN is pure crap and VA is susceptible to burn-ins, if you're unlucky (coworkers monitor developed permanent taskbar within 2 months or so, not covered by warranty).

Deleted member 113

Yeah been beating the game several times now but nothing.
It took me several tries to get something.
Me, I was on the third. Some people, it was on the 10th, or 20th.

I'm sure you can still get games, and are not limited to just one attempt. That "single try" probably means "you can only win one key", because people were getting multiple copies of the game before the patch.

Reactions: Le Pertti

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

Does this still ring true? Feels like IPS has gotten a lot better and affordable over the years.
That's pretty accurate.
All 3 technologies have gotten better and more affordable in various ways over the years, but the basic strengths and weaknesses are still the same.

TN is pure crap and VA is susceptible to burn-ins, if you're unlucky (coworkers monitor developed permanent taskbar within 2 months or so, not covered by warranty).
This is the first time I've heard about VA burn-in.

I use a VA monitor as my primary display (and have for over a year now), and it often runs literally 24/7 with a lot of static content in some parts of the screen. This must be an issue with specific VA panels only. (Rather than inherent in the technology to some extent like with OLED)

The reason I have a VA monitor is that personally I hate black levels on IPS. To be fair, I even hate black levels on VA, but at least they are 3x as good :p
But really, there is no monitor technology right now that is without pretty noticeable -- to me at least -- tradeoffs. Maybe IPS with extremely fine-grained local illumination can get us there. I've almost given up on OLED for general purpose, heavy monitor usage (i.e. not just media consumption).

Reactions: Li Kao

Deleted member 113

I said I would stop mentioning Dandy Dungeon for a while.
I lied. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The main character is featured, next to Animal Crossing's Tom Nook, on the cover of the latest issue of Edge:

Among the other characters, there's also the main character from A Short Hike.

It's nice to see smaller games like Dandy Dungeon and A Short Hike getting some sort of front page recognition. :cat-heart-blob:

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I have a 400$ TN/144hz/1ms display and a 100$ IPS display recently purchased to use as second monitor. Image quality is miles better on the (way) cheaper IPS monitor to the point that I now regret purchasing a TN display for two feature I barely use (and planning to replace it). So, if you don't have an unlimited budget, I'd say it depends on what kind of gamer you are. Do you play competitive FPS games at a pretty decent level? Then you'd probably still have to go the TN way. In any other scenario, go with an IPS monitor and you'll get a much more pleasant display too look at and feel little to no difference in your daily gaming use when it comes to performance.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Yeah. When I started the game for the first time I had "continue" available already so I went with that the first time.
I think you need to finish the game in less than 79 seconds.

--- 1st level---
Sleep
Yes

--- 2nd level---
Photon Sphere

--- 3rd level---
Stem Cell
Yes

--- 4th level---
Bury

--- 5th level---
Ra

--- 6th level---
Filth

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
I want to experience the base game without having so much content be, for a lack fo better words, broken by the expansion. I deliberately do not use the guardian armor in order to have that experience. I'll get Iceborne when I'm done with the base journey :).
Oh I totally understand that. The way you're playing it is how I would if I were recently starting up too. It's the best way to experience it for sure.

I'm glad that you're enjoying it a lot so far and I can't wait to hear how things go as you progress. You have a lot of great content ahead of you. :)

Good luck hunter and kick some monster butt! :heroblob:

Reactions: Swenhir

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Episode 3 & 4 done for Batman Telltale S1. Main plot lost me a little but I still like that the characters are different from what I am used to in my limited time with Batman stuff.

There was also a part where I actively avoided a romance because I am sick of it in games. It is never handled well and I don't want to see some stiff and awkwardly sex scene. Especially not with Telltale animations.

Anyway, might play episode 5 today and get it done. Normally I like to play these games one episode a day like I watch a TV show but with nothing better to do during the lockdown I "binged" it.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
That's pretty accurate.
All 3 technologies have gotten better and more affordable in various ways over the years, but the basic strengths and weaknesses are still the same.

This is the first time I've heard about VA burn-in.

I use a VA monitor as my primary display (and have for over a year now), and it often runs literally 24/7 with a lot of static content in some parts of the screen. This must be an issue with specific VA panels only. (Rather than inherent in the technology to some extent like with OLED)

The reason I have a VA monitor is that personally I hate black levels on IPS. To be fair, I even hate black levels on VA, but at least they are 3x as good :p
But really, there is no monitor technology right now that is without pretty noticeable -- to me at least -- tradeoffs. Maybe IPS with extremely fine-grained local illumination can get us there. I've almost given up on OLED for general purpose, heavy monitor usage (i.e. not just media consumption).
Iirc it was one of Samsung Ultrawide VAs, I did google at time and there were some other reports. (And yeah that was my first time hearing va burn-in too.)

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018

I'll say the same as everyone else: it's pretty much true today except for one thing.
IPS is great in general, it's very common. VA is also great, but it's harder to find in some ranges.
TN is absolute trash and I would never, ever go back, even with a good price... which is not the case anymore. It has zero advantage at this point, and while the others have pros and cons, you only get an awful image and a screen that is absolutely not made for watching media.

Reactions: derExperte
Status
Not open for further replies.