Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Is it possible not to update a game on Steam and run an older version
I dont think so... some offer older versions through the beta versions option (as freshVeggie mentioned), but generally thats very rare. Usually games will have to update to the latest version before you can run them. But I'd try offline mode, maybe?

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I dont think so... some offer older versions through the beta versions option (as freshVeggie mentioned), but generally thats very rare. Usually games will have to update to the latest version before you can run them. But I'd try offline mode, maybe?
oh well, no free game for me then

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah, first time I'm hearing about VA burn in madjoki
I have a Gsync VA 1080p144 panel, and unless you really care about contrast, I'd still say go with IPS.
Response time for my panel at 144 Hz is almost as good as IPS at 60 Hz, especially for when switching from White to Black (say, a mouse cursor moving on screen).

Reactions: Li Kao

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Has anyone run into a weird issue where Steam randomly auto-flags your SFW artwork showcase as NSFW? I just had it happen with my new showcase but after slightly resizing the image and reuploading it went away.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Yo, the Honeybee Inn in FF7R. :sweaty-blob:
What the fuck :astonished-face:
I... I love it? I think. :lewdblob:

Also, it confirms Aerith as best girl by far. Girl has taste.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Is it possible not to update a game on Steam and run an older version
Sort of, sometimes. I've never tried with a game where this didn't work, but you can indeed always have a game set to not auto update. Then, instead of launching it through the Steam client, go to the games' folder and launch it via the EXE. I've done this with a few games over the years that have shaky updates on the regular and if you have Steam open it even shows you playing the game properly.

Reactions: LEANIJA

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Same, I really like the Secret World... world and lore.
I really liked Secret World (and Secret World Legends). Everything except the combat.
The combat took too much time per encounter and the encounters never stopped...
And then they just switched the names of the monsters, but kept the same models which just made you ask.... Why? Why not just use the same name for the same monster?

I've played both TSW and SWL up to Egypt, but then never had the stamina to continue playing after that...

EDIT: And yes, I played it entirely solo. Even the raids.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I really liked Secret World (and Secret World Legends). Everything except the combat.
And then they just switched the names of the monsters, but kept the same models which just made you ask.... Why? Why not just use the same name for the same monster?

I've played both TSW and SWL up to Egypt, but then never had the stamina to continue playing after that...

Are you me? I'm also stuck in Egypt for the same reason, lol.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Remote Life isn't only a great game, it's also incredible how the developer rewards you for playing. By completing missions, you can unlock new spaceships, but also wallpapers for desktop and mobile, images to print on T-shirts and even models of enemies to print with a 3D printer.

This developer being so generous made me sad that I'm one of the very few people who bought this game. And there are much, much more of these great games selling like shit out there.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so mad at Epic for devaluating indie games by giving dozens of them away for free. And it seems I'm one of the few people thinking this way; everyone else seems to love Epic for this, including people working in the games industry.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
Has anyone run into a weird issue where Steam randomly auto-flags your SFW artwork showcase as NSFW? I just had it happen with my new showcase but after slightly resizing the image and reuploading it went away.
I got hit with the same with one of my recent batches of Half Life Alyx screens, which the vortigaunt one I kind of understand. The shot of me holding up a newspaper with nothing else in the picture except stairs and a dumpster, not so much.

Also have an Ori and the Will of the Wisps review that's been stuck in limbo since April 6 waiting for the automated content check to do its thing.

Reactions: Arsene

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Remote Life isn't only a great game, it's also incredible how the developer rewards you for playing. By completing missions, you can unlock new spaceships, but also wallpapers for desktop and mobile, images to print on T-shirts and even models of enemies to print with a 3D printer.

This developer being so generous made me sad that I'm one of the very few people who bought this game. And there are much, much more of these great games selling like shit out there.

That's one of the reasons why I'm so mad at Epic for devaluating indie games by giving dozens of them away for free. And it seems I'm one of the few people thinking this way; everyone else seems to love Epic for this, including people working in the games industry.
It seems like most of the people that are pro-epic only care about free games. The dev still gets paid, this is true but seeing how some EGS exclusive titles have been given away for free before even making it to Steam.... What's not to say that it won't keep happening and people will just buy less.

it's almost like the race to the bottom type of thing, why pay full price when indie game will eventually be 90% off or just flat out free

Deleted member 113

Funny you should mention it, since I played it earlier today. ;)

Well, I'm still in the early missions, but so far I have some mixed feelings about the game.
Don't get me wrong, I'm getting some enjoyment from it, but the game to me feels like one of those Euro-shmups we used to get for the Commodore Amiga, in terms of gameplay and visuals.
Basically, the game looks awesome, impressive even. but the animations are a bit "odd", and the gameplay is a bit on the slow-side.
It's fun. but it feels a bit "clunky", and unfluid.

If you enjoy the Amiga's brand of Euro-shmups, you will love the game, since it basically feels like one.
If you don't, maybe there's other shmups that are better for you, more fluid, more responsive.

There's a demo available on Steam, for those who wish to try it out:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019

Same here. Adored the lore and world but the combat was atrocious. I couldn't get past the first raid, it was just too bad.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Funny you should mention it, since I played it earlier today. ;)

Well, I'm still in the early missions, but so far I have some mixed feelings about the game.
Don't get me wrong, I'm getting some enjoyment from it, but the game to me feels like one of those Euro-shmups we used to get for the Commodore Amiga, in terms of gameplay and visuals.
Basically, the game looks awesome, impressive even. but the animations are a bit "odd", and the gameplay is a bit on the slow-side.
It's fun. but it feels a bit "clunky", and unfluid.

If you enjoy the Amiga's brand of Euro-shmups, you will love the game, since it basically feels like one.
If you don't, maybe there's other shmups that are better for you, more fluid, more responsive.

There's a demo available on Steam, for those who wish to try it out:

This reminds me of fucking Death Cargo of all games lmao

Reactions: Ge0force

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

So I finally got around to installing Battle Chasers from the March Humble Choice.

Wowzers am I mighty impressed 5 hours in.

Game is drop-dead gorgeous with that thick, chunky Darksiders art style. Great use of color and post-processing like DoF.

NIce audio suite with above average soundtrack & voice acting.

Most interesting is the successful hybrid nature of old-school JRPG mechanics with modern systems (crafting) & QoL features.

Great comfort-food gaming experience. Nostalgic triggers, modern presentation with great pacing & game flow.

Digging it immensely.
Thanks for talking about this!

I've had the game for years (maybe I even backed it on KS?) but never got around to playing it. Your post motivated me to finally give it a try. I just put ~3 hours into it and really like it so far.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019

I was thinking about this the other day and I finally figured out why "free" games aren't super appealing to me. For games I like, I want to support the people who made it and encourage them to make more games or content. Time is a much more valuable commodity to me so if I wouldn't be interested enough to buy a game then I probably wouldn't even want to spend the time playing it if it was free.

Deleted member 113

I was thinking about this the other day and I finally figured out why "free" games aren't super appealing to me. For games I like, I want to support the people who made it and encourage them to make more games or content.
I fully understand you.

Earlier today, I got a free copy of Moons of Madness by playing that Funcom ARG on Steam, and the first thing I did afterwards was to buy a couple of items from them (the game The Park, and a DLC for another game).
I like freebies as much as the next guy, but the same way I like being paid, and respected, in my job, I want to pay for other people's work as well.
In terms of "arts", like music/cinema/videogames/books, in particular in digital form, many people sometimes fail to place any value on them, but it's something I do value, and I like to support as much as possible.

Reactions: rybrad

Deleted member 113

It's a bit disappointing that SEGA hasn't announced anything in a while, in terms of new ports of their Japanese titles.
No Yakuza sequels (it's been almost a year since Yakuza Kiwami 2), no Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (it's been more than a year and a half since the game launched worldwide on the PS4), no Judgment (it's been almost a year since the game launched worldwide on the PS4), no SEGA AGES releases on PC, ...

Yeah, I know their European titles are mostly PC franchises, but when it comes to their Japanese titles, their PC support has been utterly disappointing.
They rarely do day-and-date releases with consoles (we always wait a year, or years, to get a port, if we get them at all), their support for 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit console titles on PC has been non-existent (they stopped releasing Mega Drive/Genesis titles many years ago), and this year has been a complete void, in terms of releases and any sort of communication, about their plans for Japanese titles on PC.

Going back, we had:

2017: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Sonic Forces
2018: Puyo Puyo Tetris, Shining Resonance Refrain, Yakuza 0, Shenmue I & II, Valkyria Chronicles 4
2019: Catherine Classic, Yakuza Kiwami, Puyo Puyo Champions, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
2020: ... nothing

By comparison, by early May 2019, we had 4 titles released (Catherine Classic, Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza Kiwami 2, and Puyo Puyo Champions).

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It's a bit disappointing that SEGA hasn't announced anything in a while, in terms of new ports of their Japanese titles.
No Yakuza sequels (it's been almost a year since Yakuza Kiwami 2), no Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (it's been more than a year and a half since the game launched worldwide on the PS4), no Judgment (it's been almost a year since the game launched worldwide on the PS4), no SEGA AGES releases on PC, ...

Yeah, I know their European titles are mostly PC franchises, but when it comes to their Japanese titles, their PC support has been utterly disappointing.
They rarely do day-and-date releases with consoles (we always wait a year, or years, to get a port, if we get them at all), their support for 8-bit/16-bit/32-bit console titles on PC has been non-existent (they stopped releasing Mega Drive/Genesis titles many years ago), and this year has been a complete void, in terms of releases and any sort of communication, about their plans for Japanese titles on PC.

Going back, we had:

2017: Bayonetta, Vanquish, Sonic Forces
2018: Puyo Puyo Tetris, Shining Resonance Refrain, Yakuza 0, Shenmue I & II, Valkyria Chronicles 4
2019: Catherine Classic, Yakuza Kiwami, Puyo Puyo Champions, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz HD
2020: ... nothing

By comparison, by early May 2019, we had 4 titles released (Catherine Classic, Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza Kiwami 2, and Puyo Puyo Champions).
Sega eu has always been slow. The current situation isnt helping much either.
All i can tell you is to wait
When vc4 got announced it was slated for a q3/q4 release
So assume that perios for any upcoming sega game.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Funny thing with Cyrano Story, as a promotional thing it failed so hard for me, it actually put me off anything it is related to haha. Sure it's entitled as fuck to be disappointed not getting a free game, but it's about more than that.

Reactions: Stevey

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I got a Fallout76 key from GP, I linked my Steam account to my Bethesda account after redeeming the key and making sure that it was in my bethesda library. So when can I expect Fallout 76 to show up in my library since it does say that as long as I do it before April 28 that I will still get it added to my Steam library

Reactions: Kurt Russell

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I got a Fallout76 key from GP, I linked my Steam account to my Bethesda account after redeeming the key and making sure that it was in my bethesda library. So when can I expect Fallout 76 to show up in my library since it does say that as long as I do it before April 28 that I will still get it added to my Steam library
Have you restarted steam client? Maybe it will get added on the next staft

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
too bad it's mobile trash :(
I don't really expect to read something like this from you. It's the kinda drek you see on Era's gaming side whenever platform warriors feel threatened by mobile gaming's meteoric rise. Which seems to be quite frequently these days.

Now, I'm disappointed the next mainline NieR isn't an AAA or even AA non-mobile experience myself. Believe me I am. But to just sweep such a diverse platform of games under the rug as all "trash" is kinda rude to devs who actually try, and well... ignorant?

I've put more time into mobile games the last two years than all my other owned platforms combined. And you know how much Siege I play lol. There are some great mobile games out there which weave wonderful tales, and maybe like portable systems, mobile gaming doesn't deliver the full "gameplay experience" people are used to on Home Console/PC, but gosh darn it if my time on mobile games hasn't been just as fulfilling.

The creative staff alone behind NieR Re[in]carnation pretty much ensures it will be anything but trash. Add on top of that an actual effort from SE, the fact that they stated they'll be skipping the usual trappings of mobile games... There is no need to be so dismissive.

Heck, maybe it comes to PC/Consoles someday anyway. How many mobile ports we get these days? It's a lot right? And a lot of them are highly regarded!

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Ive woken up today with a weird impulse to play Final Fantasy XIII. I dont know why. I last played it about a year or so after it first released. Got about 15 hours in before getting bored/drifting off to other games. I remember the combat being......ok?.....good?

And i remember that mums are tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.