Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Hmm, what was the name of the FF7 steam retranslation mod ?
With all your Suikoden this, Suikoden that, I'm in a retro mood (yeah, interested in Suikoden too, evidently) :drinking-blob:

Well, I just took a peek at gamefaqs, and the good news is that there seem to be multiple character recruitment guides. The even better news is that one of them looks to be sane enough to sort the list not by the character star number but fucking chronologically.
I been thinking about doing and actually finishing this for the first time since release. But remembered the last time I started Suikoden on the Vita I put it down because the recruitment guide pissed me off for being in the same order as the game tablets. You saying that just puts it back to the top of the list again so thank you...I think.

Reactions: Li Kao

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Not really, I mean my favourite game of all time is Planescape: Torment :p

Just in the case of SMT3 it seems like people often refer to its battle system as one of its primary strengths, or at least that's what I remember.
The press turn system does get a lot of praise, but I think fans are mostly drawn to how well the game sells the idea of being on your own in a really oppressive post-apocalyptic world, everything just comes together so incredibly well, the art direction, music, characters, story and merciless difficulty just create this vibe that is really unique, even within the franchise.

I know you're a person of excellent taste :), just my 2 cents.

Back when I had the PS2 I still had a lot of time to play and wasn't very selective which is a huge contrast to where I am right now, so I ended up playing several games that really made me regret the time I put into them. Stuff like Rogue Galaxy, Wild Arms V (I liked IV) and Kingdom Hearts for example.

Reactions: Arsene

Deleted member 113

All the footage I've seen of XCOM: Chimera Squad so far looks really cool.

It's like a SWAT/XCOM crossover. :)

The game is less than €8 for Humble Choice subscribers, which seems like a steal.

Everybody watch this. Very impressive video on the MSX computer and its homebrew scene.
I still have a (more or less) working one somewhere. ;)
This one:

I say more or less, because that computer could play games either in cartridges, or tapes.
I have a single cartridge (could never find them on sale), but I have several tapes. But, the cable that connected to the tape player broke, I couldn't find a replacement, I had to send it to a local Phillips branch, and after a long wait they said "sorry, we don't have one; we would need to order from a foreign branch, and it would cost you a buttload".

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The press turn system does get a lot of praise, but I think fans are mostly drawn to how well the game sells the idea of being on your own in a really oppressive post-apocalyptic world, everything just comes together so incredibly well, the art direction, music, characters, story and merciless difficulty just create this vibe that is really unique, even within the franchise.

I know you're a person of excellent taste :), just my 2 cents.

Back when I had the PS2 I still had a lot of time to play and wasn't very selective which is a huge contrast to where I am right now, so I ended up playing several games that really made me regret the time I put into them. Stuff like Rogue Galaxy, Wild Arms V (I liked IV) and Kingdom Hearts for example.
Yeah, I think overall SMT3 is a really good game, just the praise for its combat system in particular is something I could never quite agree with.

And yeah, I also had a ton of time in the PS2 days, I put at least 25 hours into Rogue Galaxy. It's in a similar category for me with newer games like Ni no Kuni, or its sequel, and even Xenoblade, in that it's a well-built game, with some impressive production values, but just not enough weight (in terms of mechanical, story, or character depth) to fill its many hours of gameplay.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I don't want to buy anything in the next few months but X-Com and Streets of Rage 4 are so tempting. I really want to support SoR4 and X-Com is so tempting with that discount but I'm already overwhelmed with the games I'm playing and I don't have cash to spare.
I was a huge SoR fan in the 90's, I need to keep an eye on key sites to see what prices pop up.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

Official release. Early Access complete and very positive reviews.
I own the game for some time now (a couple of years), and even early on, during the first early access versions, the game was fun.
I'll have to check out the final game. :)

And, I'm glad to see they implemented an offline mode of sorts (during the earlier versions, there was an online requirement, and people kept requesting an offline mode).

This really is the week of the "X-COM-like" games, isn't it? ;)

Reactions: PC-tan

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019

Official release. Early Access complete and very positive reviews.
It's a real full release tho? Because back in march it seemed like they wouldn't finish the game, only the episode 1

Deleted member 113

Recently, I have been posting a lot about games by smaller Japanese companies, and in the past I also posted about some very cool Chinese games available on Steam as well.

But, I don't know if everyone's noticed it already, there's been a lot of cool games releasing on Steam recently by Korean companies.
I mean, I'm surely missing some games, but here's just a sample of the quality, and variety, of the titles Korean teams have been releasing:

Several of these titles are published by NEOWIZ, so they're worth keeping an eye on:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Several of these titles are published by NEOWIZ, so they're worth keeping an eye on:
i'm still salty about how they fucked up DJMAX regional pricing in early access ... then told everyone they won't be changing it because reasons ... and then lowered it for most regions upon full release

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Deleted member 113

i'm still salty about how they fucked up DJMAX regional pricing in early access ... then told everyone they won't be changing it because reasons ... and then lowered it for most regions upon full release
Sorry to hear it.
I was unaware of it. :giggle:

---

I already mentioned the LudoNarraCon starting tomorrow.
During the event, there will be several demos temporarily available for many upcoming indie titles.

Here's a couple more games that confirmed a demo, starting tomorrow:

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

Paradise Killer, a game I mentioned above as having a demo starting tomorrow, looks insanely cool, and absolutely bonkers! :face-screaming-in-fear:
It reminds me of Suda 51's Flower, Sun and Rain, in terms of setting and visuals. I need it in my life. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
But, I don't know if everyone's noticed it already, there's been a lot of cool games releasing on Steam recently by Korean companies.
I mean, I'm surely missing some games, but here's just a sample of the quality, and variety, of the titles Korean teams have been releasing:

Yeah, it's weird that the last two titles I've purchased back to back have been Plebby Quest & Lobotomy Corp., both out of S. Korea.

And I've been absolutely high af over both. Like, Top 10 2020 levels of enthusiasm.

Good times. I look forward to seeing more unique content out of the territory.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
The new X-COM is sounding decent. Reviews seem positive. Im not sure about the taking turns mechanic but looking forward to trying it out. Im currently doing an Ironman X-COM2 run and last night my squad got ruined on a Chosen one mission. Not sure if my rookies can pick up the slack.

Deleted member 113

Yeah, it's weird that the last two titles I've purchased back to back have been Plebby Quest & Lobotomy Corp., both out of S. Korea.

And I've been absolutely high af over both. Like, Top 10 2020 levels of enthusiasm.

Good times. I look forward to seeing more unique content out of the territory.
...and I completely forgot to include Lobotomy Corporation! :giggle:
I had to update my post to include it. ;)

It's one of the great things about the current indie games we are getting on Steam: A lot of diversity. A lot of quality.
I've been playing great games from China, Japan, and Korea, like I mentioned. But also lots of great Spanish games. Brazilian games. Polish games. German games. Australian games. Even games made in the Middle East (or other African countries). :cat-heart-blob:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
well now you know :p

it used to be pretty much 1:1 with the US price across the board ... but now it's:

Something is actually cheaper in € than $? Never thought I'd see the day.
It's a rather strange setup all around. It's not like the Canadians or (especially!) the Norwegians are on a purchase power parity level with, say, Ukraine or Mexico.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Something is actually cheaper in € than $? Never thought I'd see the day.
It's a rather strange setup all around. It's not like the Canadians or (especially!) the Norwegians are on a purchase power parity level with, say, Ukraine or Mexico.
yeah, it's still somewhat random .... but at least it's MUCH better than it was previously

Deleted member 113

This is a good game, I just finished reviewing it.
I hadn't noticed the game would be leaving early access today (and I backed it on Kickstarter). :giggle:

One more game to play.
Is it me, or are these 30 days (mid-April to mid-May) absolutely insane, in terms of releases?
I mean, between all the games I own leaving early-access (today so far there's two), and a ridiculous amount of new launches, I don't even know what to play any more!!! :eek:

I was just checking a game that's launching on May, and I noticed in just 24 hours, between May 11th and May 12th, I have 3 games high on my wishlist launching:

It's insane! o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Strap yourself in and get ready for the galaxy’s most out-of-this-world sci-fi RPG! Live the action-packed life of a space hero bringing peace and order to the universe - by ANY means necessary!
Command a crew of questionably capable, likely insane, yet undeniably charming cadets on their haphazard travels across the Milky Way. Enjoy immensely satisfying 3rd person combat and narrative choice that’s overflowing with humor, as well as technically legal obscenities you won’t find in any other video game - especially after the ESRB hears about this one! And remember: In space, nobody can spell your name.
Shooting blind from cover :LOL:
Looks like a mix between Mass Effect and cartoons.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019

Shooting blind from cover :LOL:
Looks like a mix between Mass Effect and cartoons.
Now I'm missing Space Quest even more.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Durante Can't we at least agree Etrian Odyssey > SMT?
Hmm. I'm not sure I'd put those in the same genre, or how I'd go about directly comparing them.
In terms of style and atmosphere SMT3 is quite superior IMHO. In terms of gameplay, EO (at least the early ones I played!) is a lot more of a traditional dungeon crawl with a resource and risk management focus than SMT. It depends on how much you like that.

Deleted member 113

Durante Can't we at least agree Etrian Odyssey > SMT?
Hmm. I'm not sure I'd put those in the same genre, or how I'd go about directly comparing them.
In terms of style and atmosphere SMT3 is quite superior IMHO. In terms of gameplay, EO (at least the early ones I played!) is a lot more of a traditional dungeon crawl with a resource and risk management focus than SMT. It depends on how much you like that.
Etrian Odyssey wins every time, due to the awesome Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack. :p

And remember:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Damn, what a get for Xbox Game Pass

Not that I really care as I finished it long time ago on my PS4 an waiting for a deep Steam sale.

Still, the only reason that I have game pass ultimate is that I got it for dirt cheap a while back, it lasts till summer 2022 for me. I don't like renting games so I only use game pass as a demo service and to complete games on my Xbox that isn't on PC (like Kingdom Hearts 3).

Overall, MS has done well.

Reactions: LEANIJA and PC-tan

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The release of Minecraft Dungeons is so weird. Not only isn't it on Steam, but it's also apparently separate from the Xbox app, so I don't know what Im actually downloading when Im gonna download the game on the Xbox app.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
The release of Minecraft Dungeons is so weird. Not only isn't it on Steam, but it's also apparently separate from the Xbox app, so I don't know what I matualyl downloading when Im gonna download the game on the Xbox app.
It is both. You can get it from the Minecraft Dungeons launcher or Microsoft Store through purchase/gamepass.

That's right, Mojang wanted the game to be playable on Windows 7/8 so instead of doing what every other Xbox Game Studio did and use Steam as their Win 7/8 outlet. They decided to make a completely separate launcher that's almost identical to the Minecraft Java launcher. For a spin-off.

Fucking ridiculous, I know.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It is both. You can get it from the Minecraft Dungeons launcher or Microsoft Store through purchase/gamepass.

That's right, Mojang wanted the game to be playable on Windows 7/8 so instead of doing what every other Xbox Game Studio did and use Steam as their Win 7/8 outlet. They decided to make a completely separate launcher that's almost identical to the Minecraft Java launcher. For a spin-off.

Fucking ridiculous, I know.
That's super odd. I assume MS and Phil wanted the game on Steam too, but they give Mojand enough freedom to do what they want.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I always considered SMT to be a dungeon crawler series as well, just crossbred with Pokemon.
Also EO1 has legit the best story in any JRPG out there

Reactions: PC-tan

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
The release of Minecraft Dungeons is so weird. Not only isn't it on Steam, but it's also apparently separate from the Xbox app, so I don't know what Im actually downloading when Im gonna download the game on the Xbox app.
Wait, the release is soon? I may give it a try with PC Game Pass.

Damn, what a get for Xbox Game Pass

Not that I really care as I finished it long time ago on my PS4 an waiting for a deep Steam sale.

Still, the only reason that I have game pass ultimate is that I got it for dirt cheap a while back, it lasts till summer 2022 for me. I don't like renting games so I only use game pass as a demo service and to complete games on my Xbox that isn't on PC (like Kingdom Hearts 3).

Overall, MS has done well.
If Geforce Now were compatible with PC Game Pass, I would try this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.