Community MetaSteam | April 2020 - A Disaster Report From Raccoon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Yet, despite my constant recommendation that he changes that software (I even suggested getting a crappy, used PC, just for this purpose, since he didn't want to install Windows software on his machine), and despite his acknowledgement that the current situation isn't sustainable, and assuring me he will change it, the truth is he didn't do anything so far. 6-7 years of problems, just to keep using an (outdated) Mac.
In the meantime, he frequently spends a few thousand € on some pretty, Apple big monitors, that are completely pointless for his needs.

Oh, and that thing about Mac software not crashing? I barely have any experience with Macs, but when I was trying to help him use his invoicing software, I crashed the software at least 10 times in less than an hour.
How can any adult, let alone professionals, be this stubborn, irrational and self sabotaging in the face of overwhelming factual evidence? All of this because of some weird fixation with a brand/logo? I don't get it. I've seen plenty of examples with my own eyes but I still don't get it.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
One of the games currently in Early Access that I own, and that is shaping up very nicely, is:

I mentioned it briefly, when I listed a few cool Korean games recently released on Steam, and this one is already very enjoyable, and well worth a look for those who enjoy the genre. The very positive reviews on Steam are telling that a lot of people are digging this game.

It looks lovely in motion, it controls really well, and it's a lot of fun to play. It's like a cross between Decap Attack and Kid Chameleon, because like the first, you are a skeleton that can throw his head, and like the second, you drastically change abilities and powers, when you switch your head (in Kid Chameleon, it was masks/helmets, here it's actual heads :)).

The developers were hoping to launch on Q2, so here's hoping the "final" version won't take long, because I'm really looking forward to the final game.

I can't mention enough: the game looks lovely in motion. I mean, check this background:

The game looks fun
Currently cheapest on Humble Store if you have subscriber discount

Iratus is also cheapest on Humble Store

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
One of the games currently in Early Access that I own, and that is shaping up very nicely, is:

I mentioned it briefly, when I listed a few cool Korean games recently released on Steam, and this one is already very enjoyable, and well worth a look for those who enjoy the genre. The very positive reviews on Steam are telling that a lot of people are digging this game.

It looks lovely in motion, it controls really well, and it's a lot of fun to play. It's like a cross between Decap Attack and Kid Chameleon, because like the first, you are a skeleton that can throw his head, and like the second, you drastically change abilities and powers, when you switch your head (in Kid Chameleon, it was masks/helmets, here it's actual heads :)).

The developers were hoping to launch on Q2, so here's hoping the "final" version won't take long, because I'm really looking forward to the final game.

I can't mention enough: the game looks lovely in motion. I mean, check this background:

Absolutely gorgeous pixel art! It doesn't hurt that the protagonist is a skeleton too (I've had a weird fascination with skeletons ever since I was a child :LOL: )

Will definitely get to it at some point once it leaves early access!

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
How can any adult, let alone professionals, be this stubborn, irrational and self sabotaging in the face of overwhelming factual evidence? All of this because of some weird fixation with a brand/logo? I don't get it. I've seen plenty of examples with my own eyes but I still don't get it.
I wouldn't remove all agency from his father. 6-7 years aren't that long to someone older and there are strong points to MacOS that can't be dismissed out of hand. If the discomfort doesn't get too much, there's a degree of "I don't have energy for this shit" that I can understand :).

Fuck those insanely-priced monitors though.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don't know how I can continue on my light buying habit when I read this thread. FunktionJCB Aaron D. among others are truly vicious tempters.
Still haven't bought Pokemon, near miraculously still haven't bought Picross S4... and yesterday, I just catch up on the thread and end up with 5+ steam tabs :thinking-blob:

How can any adult, let alone professionals, be this stubborn, irrational and self sabotaging in the face of overwhelming factual evidence?
Ooh boy, this can apply to so many people these days :sweaty-blob:

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
I wouldn't remove all agency from his father. 6-7 years aren't that long to someone older and there are strong points to MacOS that can't be dismissed out of hand. If the discomfort doesn't get too much, there's a degree of "I don't have energy for this shit" that I can understand :).

Fuck those insanely-priced monitors though.
Oh believe me I'm all about that "energy preserving" lifestyle too. I also agree that Mac OS isn't too shabby too. But there comes point where it's just not worth dealing with those issues anymore. And surely, where that point lies will differ from one person to another. But judging by all the details FunktionJCB provided, it's way past that point honestly. At least for my anyway!

Fuck Apple's overpriced shit times two :LOL:

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Oh believe me I'm all about that "energy preserving" lifestyle too. I also agree that Mac OS isn't too shabby too. But there comes point where it's just not worth dealing with those issues anymore. And surely, where that point lies will differ from one person to another. But judging by all the details FunktionJCB provided, it's way past that point honestly. At least for my anyway!

Fuck Apple's overpriced shit times two :LOL:
Times two is too little :p

Have you seen the price for their wheels for Mac Pro?

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

For those who have a few cents in their Steam wallets from card sales, and are looking for something to spend them on, this game just launched, and doesn't look too bad:

The first game is free:

This developer also has a few more free titles, that may be worth a look:

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
I don't know how I can continue on my light buying habit when I read this thread. FunktionJCB Aaron D. among others are truly vicious tempters.
Still haven't bought Pokemon, near miraculously still haven't bought Picross S4... and yesterday, I just catch up on the thread and end up with 5+ steam tabs :thinking-blob:
Oh I know what you're talking about :sweaty-blob:

Ooh boy, this can apply to so many people these days :sweaty-blob:
I mean, that's platform warring in a nutshell. And it's been the favorite sport of so many people since forever, so actually, we shouldn't really be surprised anymore!

Times two is too little :p

Have you seen the price for their wheels for Mac Pro?
Fuck them Kaio ken times four!

Only 699? What a bargain.

Deleted member 113

For those missing some of Might and Delight's games, like I mentioned yesterday they are all currently on sale, and they have a few "complete the bundle" packs that make it cheap to get the missing games.

Their complete pack is very affordable at the moment:

For those unfamiliar with their games, personally I was very found of Pid:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Pid was very fun, sadly they seem to have moved away from local coop after it. (Yeah, I'm always banging the local coop drum ;))

Also, I just noticed Pid is not correctly characterized as local coop in its categories.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Speaking of coop', I saw this Chinese game the other day:

The studio seems to be quite good, with their worst game sitting at a 85% positive review score:

They are currently working on Crown Trick, whose demo I had tried and quite enjoyed:

Deleted member 113

Yeah, Wok, I posted about NEXT Studios in the past several times. ;)
Their games are very enjoyable, and very affordable.

I'm particularly found of Bladed Fury, a game I really enjoyed (it's probably the closest we're getting to Muramasa: The Demon Blade on PC, at least for the moment), and that I recommended several times during sales:

I'm still a bit upset with what they did with Unheard (they have been releasing DLCs in Chinese only, with no plans to translate them, which is really crappy for non-Chinese gamers who bought the game at launch, especially since the game is short, and as a result of some complaints about it they announced they would be working on some free DLCs to increase the game time; sadly, they forgot to mention English gamers would be treated as second-class customers, and left with not much).

But yeah, they are a publisher worth following.
An example of recent Chinese developers and publishers releasing cool stuff on Steam. :)

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Speaking of Co-Op gives me an excuse to recommend this absolute gem:

Chariot is fantastic.
I'm sad it never got a huge speedrunning community, co-op speedruns of it could be ludicrous. We came up with some ridiculous moves in our playthrough (that we of course never could do on demand, but I'm sure some people out there could!)

Deleted member 113

I'm not the biggest visual novel fan, at all (it's a genre I rarely play), but like Exzyleph posted in the visual novel thread, there's a new one that just launched on Steam that has an aesthetic and soundtrack combination that really appeals to me:

Do note that the game has some (optional) adult content, that is added by a free adult DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Tried XCOM Chimera Squad for a little bit. It's kind of fun. The voice acting is super wooden, though. :dana_blanket:

Also, my game crashed twice for some reason. It's an ironman save too. Looks like I have to tinker with this a little bit more.
there's a new one that just launched on Steam that has an aesthetic and soundtrack combination that really appeals to me:
Check out the developer's Twitter too from some really good artworks.

Something about the combination of warm colour palette (not necessarily neon-lit) and Vaporware/Futurefunk music speaks to me. I read some of the Steam reviews and it's rather positive so it encouraged me to pick it up.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Interesting how Sweeney caved in and finally put Fortnite on play store.

So he is now ok with MS, Sony, Nintendo, Apple and Google taking 30% cut....but not Valve heh.

Would be nice to see him finally stop being an asshole and put Fortnite on Steam. And those soon to be published exclusives deals they landed.

Valve does a lot more for digital games and distribution than all those other companies too. This could be Sweeney's chance to stop being a terrible wrestling villain and turn face instead. Pls Tim try and be John Cena for once.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Actually, yes, some of them will probably be updated into the PS4 and PC version, maybe not everything but most of them.
Odds are we'll get everything but the orchestra arranges because Sugiyama obsession with his beepy music makes Utada Hikaru blush.

Reactions: Mor

Deleted member 113

Sorry for the non-PC question, but has anyone followed closely the TurboGrafx/PC Engine mini release?

I never owned the original console (it was unavailable in my country when it was around), and when the Wii was released, I ended up spending most of my time playing TurboGrafx games from the Virtual Console than actual Wii games, especially shmups (I called the Wii my Virtual TurboGrafx :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:).

Anyway, I only saw some passing bits of info throughout the months about this launch, since I'm always kind of interested in these mini-consoles (for example, the Mega Drive mini), but the truth is I'm yet to buy any of them. But some recent information I read (about hidden modes and games) made me quite interested in getting one.

Does anyone know:
-the difference between the US/EU/JP consoles are purely cosmetic (early info pointed to, unlike other mini consoles, every version of this one would have the exact same games, including some untranslated JP games in the EU/US consoles), right?;
-is there any place that has a detailed look on the hidden games, and modes, the console has?
-I'm located in Europe; Amazon lists it as Amazon exclusive. Is it right? What's the best Amazon store to get it from (I'm only finding it in the UK and FR websites; I'm worried a bit about the plug situation for the UK console, since I'm from Continental Europe, but I assume the FR console should work fine here in Portugal)?
-do I need any accessories for it (it only comes with one pad, right?), or does everything come in the box?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Odds are we'll get everything but the orchestra arranges because Sugiyama obsession with his beepy music makes Utada Hikaru blush.
Was the Utada Hikaru thing real? I always kept hearing that it was because of her music (her dad?) that SE could not make the series digital but that has now changed. If Xbox can get the whole KH collection I don't see why PC can't

Deleted member 113

Steam store slow for just me?
I thought it was just me. :)

Since I'm working from home, I frequently have a VPN connected to my work PC.
But, even after disconnecting it, the store is loading slowly for me.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
For those missing some of Might and Delight's games, like I mentioned yesterday they are all currently on sale, and they have a few "complete the bundle" packs that make it cheap to get the missing games.

Their complete pack is very affordable at the moment:

For those unfamiliar with their games, personally I was very found of Pid:

I really enjoyed Pid.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sorry for the non-PC question, but has anyone followed closely the TurboGrafx/PC Engine mini release?
The NEC PC-Engine was magical. And from what I know about your tastes I can confirm it was basically the FunktionJCB console :drinking-blob:

Just checked a review, the EU console is the black version, kill this thing with fire. Only accept the true white beauty. And I'm not sure if I read that right but a big list of JP games are exclusive to the JP version ? You telling me that you don't have PC-Genjin in the EU model ?
Make that a big tank of gasoline :fashionblob:

This is life

Oh the fucking cute hucards ! How I miss you, little babies.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Reactions: Ge0force

Deleted member 113

And I'm not sure if I read that right but a big list of JP games are exclusive to the JP version ?
I was checking some more information, and while the preliminary information wasn't totally correct (there are some differences in the line-up), it's not what you might think.
Almost all titles, including those on that JP list of games you saw, are included in all 3 consoles.
You basically can switch in the menu between console versions, and play those JP games. Some are untranslated, but since most of them are shmups without any text, if at all, that's fine.

But, like I mentioned there are differences in the line-up, although they are minor, it's not like other mini consoles where the line-up is vastly different. Basically, a couple of untranslated RPGs are only in the JP console, but the US/EU consoles have Salamander/Life Force as a replacement, and as a shmup fan I'm cool with that change ;). Also, Splatterhouse is the localized, censored version in EU/US, while the JP console has the original, uncut, JP version.

But, the line-up has a lot of great stuff. A lot of shmups I love. Bonk 1 and 2 (I love Bonk! Where is Bonk 3?! :confounded-face:). Several Bomberman games. Alien Crush, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, Dungeon Explorer, Military Madness, Neutopia I and II, and Ninja Gaiden.
A lot of great stuff.

Sadly, Snatcher is still in Japanese (the version featured was never translated; I wish they could have taken the text from the Mega CD version, which I own, and use it here).

On top of that, there's lots of hidden stuff, like hidden games TwinBee, and Force Gear, alternate versions of included games (almost arcade perfect ports of a couple of games, plus Soldier Blade Special from Hudson's Caravan tournaments), and more.
Some really cool stuff.

Since I love shmups, and there's several rare ones included, I'm very likely to make this my first mini console. :)

Deleted member 113

I just had this game come up on my front page recommendations (based on games I have been playing), and it looks interesting:

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Deleted member 113

So, guys, is everyone ready for the LudoNarraCon this weekend?
Be sure to check the panels, streams and demos, there's a lot of cool stuff being shown (plus sales, including some bundles with titles from participating developers).

Some demos have already started to pop-up on Steam, and there's a loot of cool stuff to try out.
Like:

(this one apparently featuring some new content, not featured in the full game)

And some that should be up soon:

And, I'm not sure what's this, but I want it!

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Bah. Playing Farcry 5 (or any game that pushes my PC) and i get an annoying fan rattle noise. I know which one it is and i can temporarily stop the noise by giving it a bit of a clonk but it comes back and i know that i need to take it out and sort it out but its in an awkward place so it'll be an annoying job and i cant be bothered.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Speaking of Co-Op gives me an excuse to recommend this absolute gem:

Chariot is fantastic.
I'm sad it never got a huge speedrunning community, co-op speedruns of it could be ludicrous. We came up with some ridiculous moves in our playthrough (that we of course never could do on demand, but I'm sure some people out there could!)
i also would highly recommend Chariot ;)

Any bets on how expensive the most expensive consumer Ampere part will be?
my bet's on $1500

Deleted member 113

Since these "events" are much more fun when people post about their findings, demos to try, and streams to watch, do post your impressions, if you find anything that catches your eye.

The line-up, featuring both upcoming games, as well as some already released, is really cool, as you can check from the event's page.

For example, here's another game I just added to my wishlist:

And, I can't wait to try out the demo of:

And then, there's the streams and panels.
Even people like Zachtronics will be streaming, with the writer of Eliza streaming and explaining some of the narrative choices they made:

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
Actually, yes, some of them will probably be updated into the PS4 and PC version, maybe not everything but most of them.
I put about 220 hours into Dragon Quest XI on Steam and got all the achievements for it. I absolutely adored that game. I even kept it installed for over a year after beating in the hope that it gets updated with the Switch content someday. Hopefully Square gets this done sooner rather than later.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Bah. Playing Farcry 5 (or any game that pushes my PC) and i get an annoying fan rattle noise. I know which one it is and i can temporarily stop the noise by giving it a bit of a clonk but it comes back and i know that i need to take it out and sort it out but its in an awkward place so it'll be an annoying job and i cant be bothered.
Well, that's what you get for playing Far Cry 5. You're lucky your roof didn't collapse.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Yeah, Wok, I posted about NEXT Studios in the past several times. ;)
Their games are very enjoyable, and very affordable.

I'm still a bit upset with what they did with Unheard (they have been releasing DLCs in Chinese only, with no plans to translate them, which is really crappy for non-Chinese gamers who bought the game at launch, especially since the game is short, and as a result of some complaints about it they announced they would be working on some free DLCs to increase the game time; sadly, they forgot to mention English gamers would be treated as second-class customers, and left with not much).
I feel you, but Unheard is ~3h long, for a full price of less than 6€ in France (and I got it for 1,24€ on sale), so even if the game is short, it's not overpriced.

I deplore the absence of translation for DLC too, but I'm not upset because main game it's not a scam at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.