Community MetaSteam | April 2023 - We destroy chaos from a galaxy far far away

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
That FF16 state of play was pretty good. They finally showed some interesting things that wasn't just visual salad. Still feels very action and combat driven but I guess its fine. They can take a numbered entry and do something crazy/unique with it from time to time. And maybe with DLC they can do something for the party/companions where its not all AI driven. That is the only real disappointing thing with this so far.

I'm not even too upset this is PS5 timed. The 2nd half of this year is so heavy on RPGs (Diablo, Starfield, BG3) that it would have been difficult to enjoy this anyways. It releasing early next year on Steam will be fine unless EGS gets its hands on it. If we have to wait until 2025 then I will lose any and all interest in it so fuck them if they do that.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
I'm not sure if I should pick this up for Switch or PS5. I am thinking of buying the CE. I like Vanillaware games and would also like to get this one as well.

Maybe one day we will finally get a Vanillaware game on PC....any day now.
I got the PS5 version (and emulate the Switch edition cause there isn’t other way to play it on PC). Resolution differences are quite notizable.
But well other than that as you said Vanillaware games are awesome, they’re artistically special.

Reactions: PC-tan

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
The 4070 is tempting. I missed the train on the FE but the third parties seem to stick close to MSRP.
I have a 2060 Super.
The 4070 is tempting me too, mainly because 200 Watt power draw means I would not need to swap out my 650 W PSU.
My initial plan was to keep my now 3y old system (Ryzen 3800x, RTX2700) for an additional 2 more years, wait for the next gen of GPUs and do a complete new build then.
Decisions, decisions...

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The 4070 is tempting me too, mainly because 200 Watt power draw means I would not need to swap out my 650 W PSU.
My initial plan was to keep my now 3y old system (Ryzen 3800x, RTX2700) for an additional 2 more years, wait for the next gen of GPUs and do a complete new build then.
Decisions, decisions...
If you did upgrade to a 4070 you’d have a great time. Performance increases versus your 2070 without Frame Gen will be worth it, but playing something like Cyberpunk 2077 with it will breathe new life into your PC.

And given how insane the performance increases are, I expect frame generation will be a staple feature for non-competitive games going forward.

Reactions: Li Kao

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I respect their amazing character design and environments but lighting in some of FFXVI scenes really is suffering. Especially noticeable in Hideaway. Just imagine how good looking it would be with RayTracing (RTGI)

You can see some of in in the first image, but character closeups are really suffering and look last gen.

Just look at scene like this

This is not how PS5 only game should look like in 2023 in my opinion.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Reactions: Li Kao and C-Dub

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I think it's enough for the 4070 models that have a single 8-pin power connector (some 4070 models use the 16-pin connector instead), and also as long as your CPU doesn't have excessive power consumption (unlike the newer Intel ones).
5800X3D
What would a system that is unsufficiently powered do ? Crash ?

I suppose this is a 16 pin ?

edit - Oh no, I can't read, it's an 8-pin.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
5800X3D
What would a system that is unsufficiently powered do ? Crash ?

I suppose this is a 16 pin ?

edit - Oh no, I can't read, it's an 8-pin.
5800X3D's power consumption is pretty good, so it shouldn't have problems (for comparison, the 12900K, 13700K and 13900K need like 2~3x more power than the 5800X3D when being pushed).

Not having enough power can result in instability, crashes, unexpected shutdown, stuff like that.
The 4070 power consumption isn't much higher than the 2060 Super though, so it should be fine (175W vs 200W for the 8-pin models).

• Love

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, err, sorry for making it the topic of the day, but this is a pretty heavy purchase for me, so...
Why purchase a 2-fan or a 3-fan GPU ? I guess the 3-fan is better ventilated ? But then why is the 2-fan the same price ?
And, yeah, 2-fan would be shorter so less need of a GPU bracket.

Reactions: lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Asked the shop where I ordered the Ryzen 7800X3D if they know when it's going to be sent, they replied that they expect it next week but still don't know the exact day... :/
Seems like availability for this CPU is still pretty bad all over Europe currently.

Oh, err, sorry for making it the topic of the day, but this is a pretty heavy purchase for me, so...
Why purchase a 2-fan or a 3-fan GPU ? I guess the 3-fan is better ventilated ? But then why is the 2-fan the same price ?
Dunno why they're the same price, but the 3-fan ones should be cooler I guess.
With them being the same price, I think the only reason to get the 2-fan one is if the 3-fan model doesn't fit.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
2 fans can fit into tighter spaces, are probably noisier than 3 fans in general.

3 fans can spin at a slower speed and have similar heat dissipation (aka quieter) and allow for more cooling headroom for overclocking.

For a card the size of the 4070 I wouldn’t worry too much about it sagging as your PCI-E x16 slot should be solidly built if it was made in the era of massive GPUs. But a bracket can’t hurt.

I’ve got a 3080 FE in my case without a bracket and before that I had a massive ASUS 3070 in there without one, and I can’t imagine the 4070 being bigger than that. Never had an issue.

If in doubt, grab a 3 fan and leave the smaller GPUs for SFF builders.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Against the Storm announced that they will increase the price to 30 dollars in two weeks. Currently it on sale for 15 dollars.
Kinda interested in this game, anyone got an input on it?

I barely played it and I'm not too sure it's a genre for me anymore, but from what I played and I've seen others play, it's absolutely phenomenal if you're into light strategy city builders.
The rogue lite aspect can be a bit questionnable (especially when it increases in difficulty a bit like Slay the Spire ascension mode - interesting but also very artificial at times), but it's all the good parts of a city builder - the early game, with pretty much none of the bad later parts where it gets boring, and it really offers tons of variety in what you can do each run, with very different feeling units, buildings, strengths and weaknesses of your expansion with extra randomness added via the map and its "biomes".
Also I think the UI and UX design must be lauded, it's incredibly practical even if you're not super familiar with the genre, and it looks and feels very immersive within that world too, a rarity for even much larger games of this type (... like The Guild 3).

I would easily put it as one of the best city builders ever, and handily more imaginative and forward thinking than the rest.
But it also plays a bit differently than your average city builder since you never makes gigantic sprawling cities and the runs don't take more than a couple hours, so Cities Skylines it is not.
But the replayability is just without equal, no question about that.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Re-installed STEAM the other day to try and fix the chat disconnects.
Of course it lost all my custom library images. Currently redoing them all :V
I’ve had so many nightmares with custom library images that I sync the folder to my server now. Any time I need a fresh Steam install (reinstall Windows, bought a Deck, etc.) I can just install SyncThing, point it at my cover folder and it brings it all back.

Even better is I don’t need to set up custom covers for each device anymore. Just set a custom image and it appears on all my devices within the hour.

I’ve actually started setting custom covers via my Deck thanks to the Decky Loader plugin and letting all my other devices sort themselves out.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
It's amazing how big and diverse Everspace 2 is.
I just spent the better part of an hour scouring a single location, found at least a dozen secret locations, solved a dozen different puzzles and the '100% completed' pop-up still didn't trigger, meaning there's still more out there...
And this is a single location, judging by the size of the whole map there's 100 of them with as much hidden stuff to be found... :sweaty-blob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I really should play space games. I fucking love the universe, it's so interesting and fascinating due to how little we know, but for some reason I haven't really played any space flying games despite owning games like Elite Dangerous, NMS, Everspace 2 and X4.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I don't want to dunk on an indie dev too hard but "MegaManvania" that's just... MegaMan X. Like, the whole series had that. Decades ago. I think some of the other indie MMX-likes have that too? Weird bold claim that implies they haven't actually played the games you'd hope they draw inspiration from.

Edit: They reference MMX in the game description. I don't know what they think MegaManVania is then.

Against the Storm announced that they will increase the price to 30 dollars in two weeks. Currently it on sale for 15 dollars.
Kinda interested in this game, anyone got an input on it?

I think the demo is a bit outdated at this point, but I liked it enough to pick it up last time it was on sale. They just pushed out a big update that added the last(?) species so I'm going to dive in soon.

You can try the demo if you have Augmented Steam and visit the page on the browser (unless the dev/publisher go in and delete the demos you Augmented Steam can grab the links to them even post-next-fest-whatevers, but be aware they may not be maintained)

Reactions: lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Some of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster games have been getting new activity on SteamDB, in beta branches (so far FF1, 2, 3 and 4), I guess they may be bringing the new stuff from the PS4/Switch versions to the PC version? (Such as the boosts options, random encounters toggle, the new font, and option to use the original soundtracks).

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Some of the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster games have been getting new activity on SteamDB, in beta branches (so far FF1, 2, 3 and 4), I guess they may be bringing the new stuff from the PS4/Switch versions to the PC version? (Such as the boosts options, random encounters toggle, the new font, and option to use the original soundtracks).
Hopeful it's that, the new options seem great to pass through the more annoying parts of each game

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
This 4070 talk got me itchin' for one too. My 3070ti isn't bad per se, but the 8GB VRAM hasn't fared well with more recent games and this thing puts out so much damn heat... but man, it's a tough market right now. :huhblob:

I think I'll hold off for a bit and just build a whole new PC next year... My current rig turned 5 years old in March. The i7-8700k holding on by the skin of it's teeth sometimes it seems.

Dec 5, 2018
On the one hand, I get that publishers are buying mobile devs/publishers because it's a lucrative market, where it's hard to get a hit.
But on the other, Is rovio Worth that much ? E: Ok, after looking a bit, maybe they were doing better than I thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS and lashman
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Well, the good news is that my PC can handle it really well at high settings (which is what I always use)
The bad news is that it's taxing as hell and I need to config my fan curves cause' CPU is going places lol

Seriously tho, I don't know day one but right now it is playable. However, it needs some more optimization ASAP but I guess it is in better shape right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.