Community MetaSteam | April 2023 - We destroy chaos from a galaxy far far away

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So Ubisoft pulled out of E3 and that pretty much killed the show for real now huh. RIP.

I guess it was inevitable but damn I didn't think it would cease to exist so fast. Maybe a slower death but covid must have destroyed any momentum.

From 2006-2017 it was pretty much must see every summer. A lot of great shows, memories, games etc. Gonna miss it ngl. Gonna miss those Giantbomb shows too. Disappointed I never went to an E3. I wanted to go many times and I kept putting it off. Maybe someone gathers all these publishers and hardware makers to do something in the future again. Maybe a new venue or city like Vegas. Its kind of crazy E3 never adapted to something more modern and fun that appealed to the big companies.

Anyways glad Keighley was able to salvage something out of it all with SGF. Something is better than nothing so needs to continue putting up a good show.

This year we have SGF, Xbox and Ubisoft. All done within a 4 day stretch which is great. And surely we get another PC gamer show + Devolver in that timeframe.

Maybe Sony and Nintendo could sneak in there with their own direct. Konami and Square could do something. EA has to have some presence too so we will see.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
For me, E3 kinda lost its lustre after 2010. There were a few years where we got some great megatons and hilarious trainwrecks after that, but it was never as exciting as it used to be.

Leaks and the lack of variety in the games shown made the whole thing less exciting. And companies were terrified of doing live shows after the Skyward Sword debacle, the Wii Music debacle and Konami’s infamous show. But those disasters were part of the fun!

The one that was cancelled this year would’ve been so bad that a 2024 version would surely be cancelled. Best to just take it out back and put a bullet through its head rather than let it limp on for one last year as a shadow of its former self.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I didn't see this posted:
Humble is the most anti consumer game shop there is. I still cannot buy anything from there. Although I can for some reason still buy the Choice bundles...

Don't they want my money?

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
Minecraft Legends

Experience an epic legend from the Minecraft universe and the Overworld as you’ve never seen it before.

Form alliances with new friends and familiar mobs, then lead the charge in epic battles against the fierce piglins to defend the Overworld.

Traverse a lush, dynamic world that’s rich in resources and different in each playthrough.

Challenge your friends or team up in intense battles as you defend your village while leading your units to destroy your opponents’ settlements.
After that, BBI and Gearbox will talk about Homeworld 3. Will they?
:cry:

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Mmh, let's see...

The obvious purchase for me this month is Stranger of Paradise. While I'm prepared (or am I ?) for the cataclysmally shit-tier storytelling, I just can't say not to a medium difficulty souls-like.

Then I will try Honkai Star Rail, because while I didn't gel at all with Genshin moe fairy, and think Honkai Impact story was also difficult to stand, I still have hope for Mihoyo (I should really retry Genshin, but who's got time for that, gotta go fast !)

That leaves us with War Tales, which quite interests me. I like the riffs of Darklands and dark age fantasy I get from it. Not set in stone though, as from my memory of watching some streams about it, the combat flow is pretty glacial.

edit - Star Wars ? The last one was thoroughly mediocre to me, so no big hype. That being said, I'm a sucker, so...

Last edited:
Reactions: Vantr and lashman

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I think the issue with E3 and the industry as a whole is the fact it's increasingly impossible to cram announcements in a specific week of the year. Long development times, delays, ever increasing budgets, forcing devs to work to death all to release a bullshot CG trailer in early June amid hundreds of bullshot trailers. The truth is E3 was on its way out long before honestly I think the last Sony presentation a E3 focused on those 4 games only was the real final nail in the coffin. There is no turning back if there is no way to actually even make those CG trailers, and even if you actually make a bullshot trailer if the game ends up being delayed for years then what's even the point
And honestly this is also the reason for why TGA or SGF end up being disappointing most of the time: to try to have a 40 minutes to 2 hours presentation you must fill the event with ways to waste time

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Thanks for the new thread Mor!

Have been pretty busy irl lately so I am not able to post much. Zelda releasing next month also effectively stops me from getting new games. Very excited for Chaos and Live A Live. I am happy that SQEX continues bringing good games to the table.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Thanks for the thread Mor.

Still slowly through playing RE4R but goddamn it's a treat. I need a Sekiro sound effects mod because parrying is very satisfying. After RE4R maybe I'll do some extra RE4R runs for achievements or get back to finishing Yakuza 0.

Looking at picking up Jedi Survivor and maybe Live a Live depending on budget.

As for fellow card game enjoyers is there anyone still playing Shadowverse? There's a Hatsune Miku collab at the moment and a new expansion with a somewhat cheap deck to build (Hero Mars Sword) so I started playing it again. Also there is a new event in Yu-Gi-Oh at the moment which has everyone playing special win condition decks which is pretty cool. The games are very different from the standard games of ygo since it's a lot slower paced.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
After almost getting all Vampire Survivors' achievements on Xbox and figuring out some gameplay things, I retook the game on PC yesterday and apparently I'm too good at it now because I killed the Red Death before the 31th minute on a stage smfdh.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I so badly wanna get RE4R, but I have so many games to play and Stranger of Paradise is coming soon.

Also considering playing a bunch of VR games soon. Still have Moss 2, I Expect You to Die 2, Ven VR, Vacation Simulator and Pixel Ripped 1995 to play at least.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
lol, why did you buy that?
looks like it'd overheat just opening windows
I wanted a small low-energy PC that I can use for browsing and video watching.
Any recommendations for up to 500€?

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Managed to get Shaders to compile in TLoU but game still crashes. Yeah this is going on play it later pile.
Why not refund it until it gets fixed? There should at least be some consequences for them for releasing the game in this state. If you're past the 2 hour mark you can try with a manual Steam support ticket instead of the automated refund system.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Why not refund it until it gets fixed? There should at least be some consequences for them for releasing the game in this state. If you're past the 2 hour mark you can try with a manual Steam support ticket instead of the automated refund system.
i didn't bought game. I traded F1 2020 key for TLoU key XD

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
Ugh, since I started university I don't have the time and passion to play and buy new video games (and my PC is getting old too). I've deleted all my wishlists and the only games I play are Halo Infinite and some VR games.

I only want to buy games that I really want to play and in the meantime I want to finish a lot of backlogs.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
why would I do that. I am sure my phone cant handle a few dozen tabs. I don't even have a TV
I have a sub-$200 android tablet that can use bluetooth peripherals and output to a display. There are plenty of under-$500 laptops that can do the same thing from a Windows perspective, and handle YouTube and browsing just fine. They won't play 4K videos but bigger rigs can struggle with that on occasion so it just depends what you need. Android doesn't lock tabs in memory though, it refreshes the page if you've been away for a bit (although it usually remembers where I was).

Edit to add: As far as PCs go, laptops are really where the investment in getting some kind of return for cheap components has been for years. Desktop PC parts tend to be engineered (and priced) towards gaming, creative stuff, or maybe things like schools, but I can't imagine even buying components and building yourself being able to outbudget a solid $500 laptop.

Reactions: Kyougar

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Hmm, I suppose it’s the PSVR2 release effect but I keep hearing about VR. Tempted to try the thing again, my first time with the tech was cut short due to an urgent need of cash.
That being said my only real experience, so The Lab excepted, was Superhot VR, and this is precisely the type of muscle tiring, fall inducing experience I don’t want.

I think my time with VR was short enough that I don’t even have an image of how your typical VR game is played. I obviously prefer seated play, standing if need be but with little to no physical movement, I don’t have a hangar for a play zone and I don’t want to step on the cat.

I think I‘m mostly super pissed that I didn’t play the games I really wanted, like Alyx, only to play that fucking Superhot VR.

Last edited:

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
Hmm, I suppose it’s the PSVR2 release effect but I keep hearing about VR. Tempted to try the thing again, my first time with the tech was cut short due to an urgent need of cash.
That being said my only real experience, so The Lab excepted, was Superhot VR, and this is precisely the type of muscle tiring, fall inducing experience I doesn’t want.

I think my time with VR was short enough that I don’t even have an image of how your typical VR game is played. I obviously prefer seated play, standing if need be but with little to no physical movement, I don’t have a hangar for a play zone and I don’t want to step on the cat.

I think I‘m mostly super pissed that I didn’t play the games I really wanted, like Alyx, only to play that fucking Superhot VR.
In fact, the main thing stopping me from playing h24 VR games is my terrible hardware: all I need is a better GPU and a new SSD, but I don't have the money or the real motivation (I have to study, after all) to upgrade.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
New thread smell. Excellent as always Mor

Lots of good stuff this month. I'll hopefully finish Like a Dragon: Ishin! By the time it starts coming out.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Steam Deck?
nah, I need something that is on for 8-16 hours a day where I can browse and watch videos while I work at my corporate PC or play games on my gaming PC. (or just use the box while I do neither of those)
A mobile phone or Steam Deck isn't the right tool for that.

And the current celeron box would be "ideal" if the fan wasn't so loud, and I would only bite in the sour apple and buy something else if the bsod's are persistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.