Community MetaSteam | April 2023 - We destroy chaos from a galaxy far far away

Status
Not open for further replies.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
A few weeks ago I had mentioned that I was planning to play 3 separate games with battle passes simultaneously. At the time it seemed like a daunting task that would basically suck up all my time and feel like a 'grind' to get through. What actually happened was that I finished all of them with over a month to spare (the duration of the seasons were 8-10 weeks). It required some level of... optimization... but it never felt like a bad grind because ultimately I enjoy playing the games themselves.

Some thoughts about the specific battle passes I completed follow here but it's not primarily what I wanted to talk about;

Call of Duty

This one took about 55-60 hours to complete, which was by far the longest one. What's interesting is that this is the only battle pass where progress is entirely dependent on time played. It does not matter how well you play and it does not have daily/weekly quests to increase engagement. In theory you can finish it in a week if you somehow manage to play 8 hours a day. People also figured out that you get progress by just going AFK in some game modes and it's what many people did to complete it. This is one of those games where you can pay once for a battle pass and if you complete it you will get enough currency to buy the subsequent one and so on.

Overwatch 2

This one took about 29 hours to complete. Progress in this one is almost entirely dependent on completing daily and weekly quests, which means they want you to play the game frequently. The quests themselves aren't hard and don't ask anything specific from you that you wouldn't normally do while playing the game, but, in a multiplayer PVP environment there is no way to control outcomes. So for example, a weekly quest requires you to win 15 matches in a week but depending on your luck that could take anything between 20 and 60 games played. Triple the amount of time because you had a run of bad luck. Still, it's not too hard to complete and Blizzard had a couple of events which really boosted battle pass progression if you happened to play them.

Naraka Bladepoint

This one took roughly 25 hours to complete. Out of all the games, this is the one that really emphasizes engagement and FOMO with constant events happening all the time. They basically want you to play nearly every day, but, it also allows for the most flexibility while completing the battle pass. It's a battle royale game where, again, there is a high amount of variance in outcomes but they also allow you to complete quests while playing against bots. This makes it really easy to stack up objectives and get through them faster than you normally would. Also a game where you can buy the battle pass once and it gives you back enough currency to buy the subsequent one.

What I wanted to ask is what folks think of battle passes in general.

I know many people just playing single player games and are indifferent towards them and others just despise the very idea of them. If you do play multiplayer games, do you engage with the battle passes? If you dislike them, is there any way they can be designed in which you would find them acceptable? Many people say that they are designed to exploit FOMO and keep people engaged with a game, and that's true, but I also think that the main reason they exist are because they are quite possibly the only way to get some people to pay anything at all for games they play. Many free games sell cosmetics for $10-30 or even (much!) more. In contrast to that, I think people find that paying $10 for a hundred different things to be more palatable, even if most of those 'things' have no inherent value (no cosmetics do tbh). Another phenomenon I've witnessed in recent years is that many people refuse to play a game if they don't have a sense of 'progression' while playing it. Meaning they always want to be leveling up or unlocking something or the other to feel like their time spent was 'worth it'. Playing just for the sake of having fun is not enough for those folks. Battle passes give that sense of progression.

Personally, I (clearly) don't mind games with battle passes. They're always entirely cosmetic and you can still have fun with the game without engaging with the whole system. But I know others feel differently. Would like to hear some thoughts from people here.
The reason I bring this up now is because Diablo 4 is going to have battle passes as well. I personally know people who are now reluctant to buy the game because of this, even though they enjoyed the beta last week. I find that interesting. I don't think it'll harm the sales of the game though.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
I got my new laptop :blobcheer:

The bad thing is that the coil whine is there :negative-blob:

The good thing is that it's pretty much unnoticeable until I lean over the keyboard deck :blobcheer:

Cyberpunk in 1440p, high settings with raytracing looks glorious.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Personally, I (clearly) don't mind games with battle passes. They're always entirely cosmetic and you can still have fun with the game without engaging with the whole system. But I know others feel differently. Would like to hear some thoughts from people here.
The reason I bring this up now is because Diablo 4 is going to have battle passes as well. I personally know people who are now reluctant to buy the game because of this, even though they enjoyed the beta last week. I find that interesting. I don't think it'll harm the sales of the game though.
I personally don't mind battle passes, though I don't play too many games that have them (its just Genshin Impact mostly, and the occasional Overwatch). Especially if the BP only involves cosmetic items like Diablo IV supposedly will.

I look at BPs the same way I looked at Overwatch lootboxes - its a monetization engine that allows people with less self control to pay for new content on my behalf. The cosmetic buyers get their new toys, the devs get the funding to keep supporting their title, and I get more game for free. Everybody happy! :kissing-face-with-smiling-eyes:

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Valve will port it eventually. They are probably just waiting for Sony to sell a couple million units before doing it otherwise there will be too high of demand and nobody would be able to get a headset. (like in early 2020)

I would guess they announce it this summer and probably early next year release.

The game is still the only AAA VR game out there but it is getting kinda old at this point. Valve gains nothing by keeping it PC exclusive so I think they do it soon.
I doubt Valve will port Alyx to PSVR2 themselves. My guess is Sony will offer to have a third party studio port it for Valve and Valve will accept and provide support for that studio during the porting process.

Reactions: PC-tan

DesolationStone

Sep 17, 2020
Italy
noblogo.org
Valve will port it eventually. They are probably just waiting for Sony to sell a couple million units before doing it otherwise there will be too high of demand and nobody would be able to get a headset. (like in early 2020)

I would guess they announce it this summer and probably early next year release.

The game is still the only AAA VR game out there but it is getting kinda old at this point. Valve gains nothing by keeping it PC exclusive so I think they do it soon.
I don't think they're actually going to port it to PS5 for a number of pragmatic and cooperative reasons.

1. If I'm right, Source 2 isn't minimally programmed to work on consoles, so they'll have to pay someone to make it compatible or do the work themselves.
2. Valve obviously want to promote and support Steam VR (that it's compatible with any VR headset that runs on a PC), not a close platform owned by another company.
3. Valve is probably making a new VR headset and they want to use Alyx as a flagship again.

Finally, it's worth remembering that Sony wants 30% of the revenue, so realistically I don't see any advantages for Valve in making Alyx available on the PS5.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Considering the rumours that PSVR2 is not doing great, I think they might be waiting for a while.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Valve do release their games on other platforms. For example, Portal 1 & 2 on Switch.

They just have no interest in doing the porting themselves.

I wouldn’t rule Alyx out on PSVR 2 based on any platform/ecosystem nonsense. However, I would rule it out based on the fact that PSVR 2 is looking like a flop.

Eternia

Feb 28, 2022
I thought it was april's fools joke? :thinking-face:
One thing I immediately noticed on this device that I do like vs most other Steam Deck alternatives is they actually offset the buttons/sticks so they're not all lined up vertically. Curious on what competitively priced means but the wider availability from a known manufacturer will be a huge plus.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Cosmo D Studios’ Betrayal At Club Low won the Seumas McNally Grand Prize for Best Independent Game at the 25th annual Independent Games Festival Awards. :

Cosmo D's games are incredible. It's awesome to see them getting recognition, especially in such a stacked list of nominees.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I only play one game with a BP, Genshin, and it's kinda whatever. Mostly doing other stuff that you want to do for a pitance, and the paid version is more filler than anything, a rare case where you have to buy it every month though. It's not very popular.

In general I don't really see the problem with them, yes they "require" you to play a game very frequently, but then, if you like the game, that's kind of the point.
And I would consider them a much better alternative than lootboxes and gacha, fulfil the objectives, get the things available. It's about as honest and straightforward as a GaaS can be, really. :shrugblob:

Speaking of Diablo 4, I don't know if we can take a look at other Blizzard products to get an idea?
Hearthstone has one, and it's kinda grindy, but also fully cosmetic for the paid one, and the free track was probably the best thing to ever happen for F2P players - tons and tons of rewards for no money investment at all.
WoW kiiiiinda has one now, but the trading post is not really that either. Works in a fairly similar way though, with objectives to fulfil... but there's no money involved at all, it gets you a currency that you can spend on cosmetics, both new and old, and you can even keep it for later if the monthly offerings are not to your liking. Even formerly shop-only options are available, and all you need to do is play the game, and not even that much really. Which I find quite fair, considering you still need a sub to play WoW.

No idea how the Diablo 4 will go. I just hope it won't feel bad, because Blizzard certainly fucked up in the past (like the Mercenaries mode in Hearthstone...).

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
If I own Death Stranding on PC and if humble choice has the supposedly upgrade for next batch, does it upgrade my copy?

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
If I own Death Stranding on PC and if humble choice has the supposedly upgrade for next batch, does it upgrade my copy?
You see, the problem with 505 Games is that the sky is the limit when it comes to bundles

Maybe it will upgrade. Maybe it will be a separate, new edition. Maybe it will just somehow make your copy stop working because they did something stupid for the game to be bundled.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
A few weeks ago I had mentioned that I was planning to play 3 separate games with battle passes simultaneously. At the time it seemed like a daunting task that would basically suck up all my time and feel like a 'grind' to get through. What actually happened was that I finished all of them with over a month to spare (the duration of the seasons were 8-10 weeks). It required some level of... optimization... but it never felt like a bad grind because ultimately I enjoy playing the games themselves.

Some thoughts about the specific battle passes I completed follow here but it's not primarily what I wanted to talk about;

Call of Duty

This one took about 55-60 hours to complete, which was by far the longest one. What's interesting is that this is the only battle pass where progress is entirely dependent on time played. It does not matter how well you play and it does not have daily/weekly quests to increase engagement. In theory you can finish it in a week if you somehow manage to play 8 hours a day. People also figured out that you get progress by just going AFK in some game modes and it's what many people did to complete it. This is one of those games where you can pay once for a battle pass and if you complete it you will get enough currency to buy the subsequent one and so on.

Overwatch 2

This one took about 29 hours to complete. Progress in this one is almost entirely dependent on completing daily and weekly quests, which means they want you to play the game frequently. The quests themselves aren't hard and don't ask anything specific from you that you wouldn't normally do while playing the game, but, in a multiplayer PVP environment there is no way to control outcomes. So for example, a weekly quest requires you to win 15 matches in a week but depending on your luck that could take anything between 20 and 60 games played. Triple the amount of time because you had a run of bad luck. Still, it's not too hard to complete and Blizzard had a couple of events which really boosted battle pass progression if you happened to play them.

Naraka Bladepoint

This one took roughly 25 hours to complete. Out of all the games, this is the one that really emphasizes engagement and FOMO with constant events happening all the time. They basically want you to play nearly every day, but, it also allows for the most flexibility while completing the battle pass. It's a battle royale game where, again, there is a high amount of variance in outcomes but they also allow you to complete quests while playing against bots. This makes it really easy to stack up objectives and get through them faster than you normally would. Also a game where you can buy the battle pass once and it gives you back enough currency to buy the subsequent one.

What I wanted to ask is what folks think of battle passes in general.

I know many people just playing single player games and are indifferent towards them and others just despise the very idea of them. If you do play multiplayer games, do you engage with the battle passes? If you dislike them, is there any way they can be designed in which you would find them acceptable? Many people say that they are designed to exploit FOMO and keep people engaged with a game, and that's true, but I also think that the main reason they exist are because they are quite possibly the only way to get some people to pay anything at all for games they play. Many free games sell cosmetics for $10-30 or even (much!) more. In contrast to that, I think people find that paying $10 for a hundred different things to be more palatable, even if most of those 'things' have no inherent value (no cosmetics do tbh). Another phenomenon I've witnessed in recent years is that many people refuse to play a game if they don't have a sense of 'progression' while playing it. Meaning they always want to be leveling up or unlocking something or the other to feel like their time spent was 'worth it'. Playing just for the sake of having fun is not enough for those folks. Battle passes give that sense of progression.

The only game I'm playing that has a Battle Pass is Genshin (and soon Star Rail I guess) and I like how it's done there, but I also think it's an outlier.
The Battle Pass has effectively always been the same since the beginning of the game. The premium tier has 5 weapons of which you can pick one per pass. This selection hasn't changed since release (22 BPs in ~2.5 years). There are no cosmetics in there (the game has very few cosmetics (something like 4 per year maybe?) where half of them are free and the other half is a direct purchase. Ironically it's the least FOMO thing in a game that has otherwise quite a lot of FOMO elements. It's also extremely easy to max. I just get the EXP from the missions I complete from playing normally, ignore the rest, and still finish with 1-2 weeks to spare (the free version of it). (And even if you weren't to finish it doesn't matter much cause the stuff in there is "nice", but not really necessary.)

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Jeez, people were not joking about P5R September boss. I just wasted an afternoon on him and crickets.
Fortunately I have ample time to level up my characters and baton pass.

Reactions: QFNS

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I play 3 games with battle passes (Fortnite, Destiny and Overwatch) and 2 out of 3 of them I get the battle passes for free (Fortnite STW gives a shit ton of free vbucks, Overwatch coins can be earned for free on Microsoft Rewards so I just have thousands saved up) and I don't really mind them. I usually shotgun the game and max out the battle pass in a few weeks then take a break for a few months, and if I don't max out the pass I'm not really losing anything since I didn't pay anything for it lol. But I have maxed out every Fortnite and Overwatch battle pass that have been released since I started playing so this isn't really an issue.

I'm also a huge sucker for cosmetics so if theres a cosmetic I like in a BP I will grind the fuck out of it. Its my main driving force for like 90% of the shit I push myself through in FFXIV.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Jeez, people were not joking about P5R September boss. I just wasted an afternoon on him and crickets.
Fortunately I have ample time to level up my characters and baton pass.
Grinding won’t necessarily get you over the line with this one, unless you’re grossly over levelled.

For this boss you need to be careful how you deal damage and knock enemies down and make sure that all of them in each “stage” is walloped at the right time.

Switching party members and baton pass is essential for this.

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Overwatch coins can be earned for free on Microsoft Rewards so I just have thousands saved up
Huh, you mean by using your Rewards to exchange them for store credit and then purchasing the Overwatch coins?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Battery life on this thing will be bad, I imagine. Probably less than an hour at peak power output. It has 2 fans, a much higher resolution screen, which you can at higher framerates.

But it's great to see Valve having clearly inspired a big hardware manufacturer to try their own hand on making a handheld gaming PC. I hope Valve gets off its but and finally ships SteamOS for other machines, so people can load up SteamOS on this thing once its out. Windows on handheld PCs does not sound like a fun time, and the idea of using Asus custom software is literal nightmare fuel.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Grinding won’t necessarily get you over the line with this one, unless you’re grossly over levelled.

For this boss you need to be careful how you deal damage and knock enemies down and make sure that all of them in each “stage” is walloped at the right time.

Switching party members and baton pass is essential for this.
Got him on my first try at lvl 44 both the important characters with elemental amps, maxed out baton pass for them and crafted curse stone for the others.
And uh, a fucking ton of luck, admittedly.

I admit to not understanding this shit. Exploiting weaknesses gives you one more and baton pass, but if I don’t misunderstand, once the enemies are down exploiting doesn’t give you one more etc.
But throwing curse stones, one of their weaknesses, seemed to give me one more anyways.
There is something I don’t understand in the finer points.

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Got him on my first try at lvl 44 both the important characters with elemental amps, maxed out baton pass for them and crafted curse stone for the others.
And uh, a fucking ton of luck, admittedly.

I admit to not understanding this shit. Exploiting weaknesses gives you one more and baton pass, but if I don’t misunderstand, once the enemies are down exploiting doesn’t give you one more etc.
But throwing curse stones, one of their weaknesses, seemed to give me one more anyways.
There is something I don’t understand in the finer points.
I think you did okay there. Whether you realised it or not, the strategy for beating that Palace ruler is to find out which minion he buffs, lay into that one first, to the point where your All Out Attack can take the whole row out, and then concentrate on the weaker enemies in the row.

Or you can debuff the strong one and treat them equally. Or pick the weaker ones off one-by-one with the baton-pass and then use the last one (aka the strongest) on the buffed minion, and hope the All Out Attack takes him.

Ironically, that boss is actually easier to beat on harder difficulties. As part of the difficulty spike, damage given and received is increased. So you can basically overpower any buffs just by hammering them on a harder difficulty, and then putting it back down to your regular difficulty after the battle.

At any rate, you’ve beaten the hardest mandatory boss in the game. The rest of the story bosses have their issues and can be annoying, but won’t give you anywhere near as much trouble.

Reactions: QFNS and Li Kao

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
I had original DS and bought the upgrade for 10 bucks, and now I have two separate entries in Steam, for the original and for the DC. So I assume you will also get a separate entry for DC.

Interesting game. Ultimately it is just a delivery boy simulator, but it is the most ambitious, weird, unique and interesting delivery boy simulator you can imagine. With some fantastic music to boot.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Started Yakuza 7. Even though I knew combat is turn based it's still jarring after so many games with real time battles. But the game is great, I'm already sold on Ichiban.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Lots of these companies are used to peddling their overpriced nonsense and don't really hope for mass adoption. Asus was demoing this thing with a $1,500 eGPU enclosure.

They just want a bite of the high end spenders.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
All these steam deck competitors that are being announced, far as I am aware anyway, keep forgetting arguably the most important thing that Deck nailed; price
In fairness to the third parties making these handheld PCs, they can't afford to sell at the SRPs. that Gabe is pushing... unlike Valve they're not getting a 30% cut of all store purchases (or, if the Steam Deck buyer was already a Steam user, benefiting from the increased engagement).

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I don't think they're actually going to port it to PS5 for a number of pragmatic and cooperative reasons.

1. If I'm right, Source 2 isn't minimally programmed to work on consoles, so they'll have to pay someone to make it compatible or do the work themselves.
2. Valve obviously want to promote and support Steam VR (that it's compatible with any VR headset that runs on a PC), not a close platform owned by another company.
3. Valve is probably making a new VR headset and they want to use Alyx as a flagship again.

Finally, it's worth remembering that Sony wants 30% of the revenue, so realistically I don't see any advantages for Valve in making Alyx available on the PS5.
I mean its no different than Sony releasing God of War and Horizon on PC. There is logically no advantage in it for them but they did help build those brands by letting more people play them. And the end result helped Ragnorak and Forbidden West sell even more as a result.

Valve is one of the only big devs at this point that can help grow the VR sector. Letting hundreds of thousands if not millions of new people play Alyx will only help SteamVR long term. If Valve is gonna release a new headset they will benefit from all the new PS users jumping on board their headset too. They will convert a lot of people going forward.

Also at this point Deckard is probably a 2024 release so I doubt Alyx will be the flagship for that headset. It will probably be bundled for free or something like that. But they have to be cooking something entirely new for an ambitious headset like Deckard.

But really there is no benefit to Valve to keep Alyx PC exclusive going on 4 years now. The first year or 2 sure but now its just hindering people from experiencing a great VR game. And might even hurt Valve in the future if they plan on making VR to be a big mainstream thing.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

By the way how familiar are all of you with Dave?

It looks like only him and Linus were offered demo models (prototypes).

As far as showing off the Steam Deck I remember that they did invite Linus and other NA media outlets (or maybe it was just US and Canada, since Valve is in Washington which borders Canada).

But I also remember them sending test models for people to do test on, such as Gamers Nexus and of course Phawx .

I don't pay too much attention to all the other UMPCs but I am looking forward to what Phawx has to say since he has been covering this stuff for a lot longer than others. Maybe he will also get a demo unit. If not then ASUS already messed up.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Is there any place where we can see all previous Humble Bundles? I'm trying to get all the big ones (a la Ukraine, BLM, Covid, etc...) but can't find a list, any help will come in handy ^^

Dec 5, 2018
Is there any place where we can see all previous Humble Bundles? I'm trying to get all the big ones (a la Ukraine, BLM, Covid, etc...) but can't find a list, any help will come in handy ^^
GG deals has a list:

But i don't know how exhaustive it is

• Love
Reactions: Mor

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So, I recently created a big CSV with all old humble keys I'd like to give away. Is there some smart way I could enter it into Giveaway bot without having to manually create every entry? The thing is currently at nearly 400 lines (it's not actually 400 games, more like 150 each, since it splits games to 2 lines, with a new line in between, but it's still far too big to go over it manually)

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

You can search for just about every single bundle every to exist.

For example, the Ukraine bundle:

Humble Bundle: Stand With Ukraine Bundle

• Love
Reactions: Mor
Status
Not open for further replies.