Community MetaSteam | April 2023 - We destroy chaos from a galaxy far far away

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I wanted a small low-energy PC that I can use for browsing and video watching.
Any recommendations for up to 500€?
I use this mini PC as a server for FoundryVTT for my Pathfinder 2e game.

Amazon product
Honestly I don't do it for browsing really so I can't say how it runs but haven't had any BSOD issues or anything like that.

This subreddit might be useful as well r/MiniPCs

Reactions: Kyougar

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Late to the new thread - great work again, Mor!

April seems fairly light on new releases to buy for me... definitely in for Coffee Talk 2 though (RIP, Fahmi).

The remake of the Cthulhu-based Sherlock Holmes looks fun, but I'm overloaded on creepy stuff - I just waxed RE4R, and still have Fatal Frame 4 to play. Trinity Trigger looks interesting, but I'll wait and see as XSEED's Steam regional pricing is all over the place.

As a PSA, I would like to encourage all the good people of this Steam thread to play Strangers of Paradise, if you haven't already elsewhere. I own the game on Series X (and double dipped on a PS4 CE), and as a certified Chaos Enjoyer(tm) I need more cultis- er, inquisitive buyers to see how great it is. The gameplay is top-notch (some vestigial Nioh equipment spam nonwithstanding), the Job system has lots of depth, and the dialogue is simply glorious.

And how can you say no to a game that opens to Frank Sinatra's "My Way"? You can't!
(Well, you can. But you shouldn't.)

Disclaimer: Please be reminded however that this is still a Koei Tecmo-developed game, and I wouldn't put it past them to somehow unleash some new, Steam-specific technical issue (despite SoP's long EGS early access period).

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Happy April! Thanks for the new thread Mor! We are already a several pages in :dizzy-face:

I do not know if I mentioned it here, but I finished Paranormasight and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I expected. It definitely has some pacing issues in the latter half and I wish it would have leaned more into some particular themes, but I would recommend it to folks who want something kinda sorta in the spirit as Uchikoshi's games (e.g. 999, VLR, etc.).

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Happy April! Thanks for the new thread Mor! We are already a several pages in :dizzy-face:

I do not know if I mentioned it here, but I finished Paranormasight and I have to say that I enjoyed it more than I expected. It definitely has some pacing issues in the latter half and I wish it would have leaned more into some particular themes, but I would recommend it to folks who want something kinda sorta in the spirit as Uchikoshi's games (e.g. 999, VLR, etc.).
Happy to hear this! :smiling-eyes:

I'm still early in the game (because RE4 made me drop everything), but it's definitely giving me those Uchikoshi vibes so far. Runs great on Deck, too!

And the art is just amazingly good - Gen Kobayashi really outdid himself here.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Do you chain a route chapters in Paranormasight or play each route episodically ?
I tried episodically but combined with the glacial pacing I’m beginning to wonder if I shouldn’t go full routes.

I’m unfortunately not sold yet. The game has obvious crazy little gameplay ideas and some characters have potential for twists, but the budget shows a little too much in the repetitive structure of chapters and as I said, at least in mixed routes, the plot is slow.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
nah, I need something that is on for 8-16 hours a day where I can browse and watch videos while I work at my corporate PC or play games on my gaming PC. (or just use the box while I do neither of those)
A mobile phone or Steam Deck isn't the right tool for that.

And the current celeron box would be "ideal" if the fan wasn't so loud, and I would only bite in the sour apple and buy something else if the bsod's are persistent.
I mean, you can just dock it to a monitor, it's just a PC.
Deck fan is certainly not an issue for light tasks like website browsing or movie playback.

Reactions: LEANIJA and Kyougar

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Maybe only Stranger of Paradise for me this month. Will wait for Jedi Survivor on sale. I have still so many other games to play that I need to reduce my purchases a lot.

I mean, all it means is that I will just buy more games on sale lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
There's a decompilation project for Castlevania Symphony of the Night

👀
Neat!
Can't count Konami to do it any time soon anyway. Plus knowing Konami, even if they released it on Steam, they'd just emulate it anyway.
In the long run it would be interesting to get a decomp of the Saturn version too and get a combined "Definitive Edition" with playable Maria and that one area that's in the Saturn version but not in the PS1 version etc.
Again something Konami would never do so we'll just have to hope for the best with this one.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
There's a decompilation project for Castlevania Symphony of the Night

👀
If Konami won't do a PC port guess we'll have to make our own

In the long run it would be interesting to get a decomp of the Saturn version too and get a combined "Definitive Edition" with playable Maria and that one area that's in the Saturn version but not in the PS1 version etc.
Can't they just use the Dracula X Chronicles version for that? I remember it having playable Maria, don't remember if it had the garden tho

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Neat!
Can't count Konami to do it any time soon anyway. Plus knowing Konami, even if they released it on Steam, they'd just emulate it anyway.
Again something Konami would never do so we'll just have to hope for the best with this one.
If Konami won't do a PC port guess we'll have to make our own

Can't they just use the Dracula X Chronicles version for that? I remember it having playable Maria, don't remember if it had the garden tho
A Definitive Edition combining both versions could be amazing

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I noticed this interesting thing in TLoU. In-Game VRAM uage meter is different before and after applying resolution changes.

This is how VRAM meter looks like after selecting 1440p resolution (changing from 1080p resolution) but not pressing Apply button

And this is how it looks like after pressing Apply button

No other setting was changed, only Resolution. Game detects that DLSS is active and properly shows render resolution.

It is same thing going backwards from 1440p to 1080p. This is selecting 1080p (while in 1440p) but not pressing Apply

And this is after applying resolution

• Eyes
Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
First time in a theater in 3 years, John Wick 4 was sick.
I remember John Wick 3 was one of the best movie theater experiences for me. The rare time it was fully packed house for a Rated R movie too.

And the movie had so much nonstop crazy action the crowd reactions were incredible for the entire movie. Like the guy getting graphically stabbed in the eyeball had everyone in the theater lose their shit lol. I haven't seen 4 yet but I imagine its even more epic.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I started to play Vampire Saviours. Is the boss in the first level beatable? It instant kill me. Last run I could freeze him and had invulnerability, but after a while a new boss appears. It ended with four bosses and I died :(

It's not regular edition of Death Stranding? 505 is learning?

• Toucan

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
nah, I need something that is on for 8-16 hours a day where I can browse and watch videos while I work at my corporate PC or play games on my gaming PC. (or just use the box while I do neither of those)
A mobile phone or Steam Deck isn't the right tool for that.

And the current celeron box would be "ideal" if the fan wasn't so loud, and I would only bite in the sour apple and buy something else if the bsod's are persistent.
I use a low spec Surface Go tablet on the side of my desk when I am working from home. White noise source with Twitch/YouTube/Podcasts.
Plus it doubles as my Windows machine for Visual Novels that don't run on the Steam Deck.

Reactions: C-Dub and Kyougar

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
I started to play Vampire Saviours. Is the boss in the first level beatable? It instant kill me. Last run I could freeze him and had invulnerability, but after a while a new boss appears. It ended with four bosses and I died
Did you reached te 30 minute mark? If yes then a difficult boss will appear and can one shot you, but there is a way to defeat it.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Did you reached te 30 minute mark? If yes then a difficult boss will appear and can one shot you, but there is a way to defeat it.
Yes, all monster disappear and the boss enters and instantly kill me
I did the second level, same thing. I assume you finish the level even if you don't kill the boss
I linked my new steam account. feel free to add me.
What's the reason you created a new account?

Panda Pedinte

Sep 20, 2018
Yes, all monster disappear and the boss enters and instantly kill me
I did the second level, same thing. I assume you finish the level even if you don't kill the boss
Technically reaching 30 minutes can be considered to having reached the end of level. You usually unlock the other ones by surviving a certain amount of time and killing a specific boss in a level.

• This!
Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
On Saturday I finally learned a bit more about all the stable diffusion stuff and set it up locally. Now the weekend is over and I spent half of it just generating images. It's already pretty fun and addictive when you do it with midjourney or something like that, but with all the options you can explore in your own setup (like ControlNet or LoRA) it's digital crack.

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
Happy April everyone and thanks Mor for the thread ! I'm glad to see this place is still up and running (been a while since my last visit here...) !

I just finished The Murder of Sonic the Hedgehog, got to say it was better than I expected. It's definitely not great (I'm no big fan of VNs) and it's written for children, but I had a good time with this free April's Fool.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
On Saturday I finally learned a bit more about all the stable diffusion stuff and set it up locally. Now the weekend is over and I spent half of it just generating images. It's already pretty fun and addictive when you do it with midjourney or something like that, but with all the options you can explore in your own setup (like ControlNet or LoRA) it's digital crack.
yup, it's seriously cool!

:steam_pigblanket:

Reactions: Durante

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Maybe PSVR2 owners should be happy they don't have Alyx yet. Im currently playing Wanderer and Im struggling to get through it, some of the puzzles makes no logical sense to me. The game tries to be an "Alyx-like", but doesn't reach that level.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Maybe PSVR2 owners should be happy they don't have Alyx yet. Im currently playing Wanderer and Im struggling to get through it, some of the puzzles makes no logical sense to me. The game tries to be an "Alyx-like", but doesn't reach that level.
Valve will port it eventually. They are probably just waiting for Sony to sell a couple million units before doing it otherwise there will be too high of demand and nobody would be able to get a headset. (like in early 2020)

I would guess they announce it this summer and probably early next year release.

The game is still the only AAA VR game out there but it is getting kinda old at this point. Valve gains nothing by keeping it PC exclusive so I think they do it soon.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.