Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com

D1 and D2 also have source ports, for instance D2X-XL: Descent 1 and 2 revived and enhanced!

Descent was my very first 3D game; it came preinstalled on my first computer in 1995.

I never finished it back then because it was too scary. :cry:

Also, it was entirely in English, so I had no idea what was going on, and figured out the controls through pure trial and error. Good times.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Saw news on Era today of Koei Tecmo revising their financial forecast downwards heavily due to weaker than expected sales (hard to link, because the OP's source is a PDF press release in Japanese).

I'm a pretty big fan of their games, but I can't help but feel a lot of schadenfreude about their sales cratering after they completely scrapped their regional pricing on Steam. Basically, they saw Capcom producing record revenues doing that and figured they'd follow suit... including all their legacy titles. Haven't bought a game from them since, even on sale.

"B-b-but we raised our prices, surely this means we'll make more money.... right?" Idiots.
Koei Tecmo are insane with their prices, even in the EU and US
Their niche games are not "worth" 60€ to 70€!
30-50 would be more reasonable and would lead to better sales.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Koei Tecmo are insane with their prices, even in the EU and US
Their niche games are not "worth" 60€ to 70€!
30-50 would be more reasonable and would lead to better sales.
Easily the hardest thing for companies to learn, and it's been obvious during this generation players don't like spending so much on games that aren't worth it. And you can't even use the typical "we don't want to devalue our games too much" excuse because most of these 70+ releases end up at -40% in 6 months regardless
I get that "worth" it's something hard to grasp, but Koei (and other publishers too) needs to accept you can't ask players to pay extra high prices without also undergoing extra high scrutiny. It's the customer who decides the worth of a product, and if your product costs too much compared to the competition, especially competition that also provides what is perceived as a better product (example: Elden Ring is 60€). If you can't provide a "premium" product then there is nothing bad in asking for less (and it's not like they can't still use DLCs to get more money). Companies like Bandai Namco do understand this (which is also why Tekken 8, which costs 70€, is under a much harsher scrutiny after the announcement of the battlepass). Companies like Sega/Atlus understand that (Persona 3 Reload and LaD IW cost 70€ and have lots of DLCc, but they have also reviewed much better which again means players scrutinized them more). Even Capcom understands that with most of their titles not costing more than 60€ and Capcom really loves to fill them with DLCs (and again, DD2 is under harsher scrutiny because it costs more)
Even Platinum realized it with Sol Cresta, too late but they at least accepted 40 bucks was too much for a shump, no matter who you target and what you perceive to have created

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Atlus and PC in a nutshell

I'd love to know what kind of weird misconceptions they had about releasing on PC. It really didn't take them long to go from "decade-late port of P4G sells pretty well" to new games getting ports day and date with consoles. Even Sony still isn't there yet lol.

Now if only they could talk some sense into their friends over at Vanillaware....

Reactions: Kyougar

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I can't get enough of Minishoot' Adventures. It's just such a well-made Zelda/Metroid-like in the form of a shmup. I'm usually really happy about games running about 10hrs, but I could easily play this for twice as long.

Also shoutouts to demos. I wouldn't have picked it up this soon without one.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
https://www.reuters.com/technology/take-two-interactive-cut-5-its-workforce-2024-04-16/

Guess even GTAO doesn't make the line go up enough these days, even after getting a price increase 2 days ago: GTA Online's subscription service GTA+ gets first price hike - RockstarINTEL

Poor Rockstar North. They can't even be profitable despite sucking up 300 millions in tax reflief from the UK: Grand Theft Auto producers Rockstar North claim over a third of a billion pounds in tax relief
If I would need to bet i would say that currently Rockstar is safest place regarding T2 layoffs. Their other studios like Cloud Chamber that is working on Bioshock for years now and that changed at least 3 writers so far is in more danger. Also Firaxis, Hangar 13, Zynga, Visual Concept... those are studios that probably got projects canceled and have redundant positions.

Reactions: MegaApple

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Totally-Not-Pizza-Tower was super shameless.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
I won't defend Antonblast because the latest trailer it's truly blatant, but originally that game was slower and closer to Wario Ware so I don't know how much the new trailer represents the final game or how much the developer changed after Pizza Tower (both started development at almost the same time funnily enough)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
They're both inspired by the Wario games and started development years ago lol

I won't defend Antonblast because the latest trailer it's truly blatant, but originally that game was slower and closer to Wario Ware so I don't know how much the new trailer represents the final game or how much the developer changed after Pizza Tower (both started development at almost the same time funnily enough)
Pretty sure the Switch demo is the same demo thats been on PC for a year now. They didn't change anything to match Pizza Tower. Both games just used WL4 as their main inspiration which was focused on speed.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Silksong really doesn't want to appear huh. People waiting should just do a replay of the first game. I'm kind of thinking about it since my first and only playthrough was a quick 25hr run of the game shortly after launch. I definitely missed some content and this was long before the Deck existed. My memory kinda sucks so it could be a very fresh playthrough again.

Funny that Silksong has been shown at multiple Nintendo directs now and it was at the Xbox showcase from a few years ago. I keep forgetting that it will actually be a gamepass launch title too unless something changed.

Also even more funny seeing everyone spam Silksong in chat at the IndieWorld stream. Its like the new GTA6. The game will be massive so devs are doing the right thing in taking their time and cooking up a good game. The expectations for this are gonna be the highest any indie game has likely ever had.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Can't say I'm too bothered by an overlay. I already have a PSN account anyway, so at least now it'll get some use for the first time since the PS3 days. I kinda hope they'll go back and add it to their previous releases, too. Hopefully I'd be able to sync my already completed games and get their platinum trophies.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Big issue with Sony introducing their ecosystem to PC with account is lack of support for countries in my opinion. Both Sony and MS still have limited country support so people will need to create fake accounts (like me) because their countries are not supported. And that can be an issue when something happens because their customer support is awful.

Reactions: Alexandros

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Games on PC are getting to the point where they're like antivirus software: the thing you downloaded it for is only one small part of the bloatware package being sent your way. It's so weird to see people celebrate the sony news as if we haven't seen the result of a dozen other launchers/clients/overlays and what they inevitably do to screw things up. I couldn't play the borderlands 1 "remaster" on deck because of its pop up launcher freezing and crashing the game and that wasn't even the awful and more recent 2k launcher it was the older game specific one.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Ehh, would be a better deal if not for Nintendo using unique IDs for each and every cartridge.
Yep I know that issue I plan to use it offline and with an alt account avoiding being tracked, it's the worst part but I travel a lot and hardly play online, we're near the end of the Switch lifetime cycle and If I'm not wrong I plan to buy 3 (or 4) games before Switch 2 release. Once it's done being able to play all the other games without modifying the console hardware and don't worry about what Nintendo does with eShop it's pretty cool.

Reactions: MegaApple