Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I enjoyed Picard S3 and think it would have been better if this had been S1. However I will say that it gets by more on Fan Service than anything else.

But for me both Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are the best stuff Star Trek is putting out. I think for all of the flak lower decks got back in the beginning it is the one that seems to love and understand Star Trek the most. And if Strange New Worlds decided to shift into a new version of the Original Series I wouldn't object either.

Reactions: QFNS

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I enjoyed Picard S3 and think it would have been better if this had been S1. However I will say that it gets by more on Fan Service than anything else.

But for me both Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are the best stuff Star Trek is putting out. I think for all of the flak lower decks got back in the beginning it is the one that seems to love and understand Star Trek the most. And if Strange New Worlds decided to shift into a new version of the Original Series I wouldn't object either.
Yes!!!!!!!!!!
Lower decks and Strange New Worlds are both amazing shows.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
1: What's your favorite FF?
FF6, definitely, best game ever. Or not. Could be shit.

2: Why?
Because 1st part.

3: Are you sure ?
Mmh... maybe Xenogears. Because it doesn't have a World of Ruin that insta kill my drive to play further. EVERY. TIME.

4: FFS, so which is which ?
I guess my best FF is the FF we met along the way. There is no best FF, everything is shit. Entropy.

PS. Honorable mention to FF12. But it is written like War and Peace and transforms into Naruto.

Last edited:
Reactions: thekeats1999

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I wanted it to be good and then couldn't look away from the train wreck. I don't recommend it or expect anyone to have seen it, unless you're trek brain poisoned like me
The thing that really bothered me was that it was just an endless carousel of guest appearances designed to poke on your nostalgia. And okay, a show about Picard will be nostalgic but there should be some substance as well. There was none at all. I remember that one episode where they met up with Riker who was busy making wood fired pizza at home. The whole episode was centered around that. Also, it was almost entirely shot in someone's backyard to save on production costs. That's where I checked out. If that's what counts as Star Trek for someone then I don't know what to say.

Reactions: QFNS

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
There is a disturbing lack of Yellow Taxi Goes Vroom here.
Do I have to take back your gamer card, people ?

Unrelated, but I too would like to play Fallout 76 on Deck like a sheeple, under the spell of a good cross media campaign. But...
who's got time for that ? :anguished-face:

Last edited:
Reactions: xinek

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I want a PC that Voltron into a Steam Deck.

I just read a steam review for Rimworld, because I'm stupid and it's too pricey, but the more time passes and it gets even pricier, but I digress.

One of our own wrote :
When someone new to the PC gaming scene asks for suggestions, and RimWorld is regularly given an enthusiastic nod in the Top 5 games to start with...well that really says it all.

What are those five games, for you ? Don't feel pressured to in put that number of games, just, what are PC unmissable for you.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Since we are talking about New Trek, here's my opinion on the new shows. Discovery is wildly inconsistent, some episodes are watchable but most of it is quite awful. Picard seasons 1-2 are legitimately unwatchable, season 3 is full memberberries, I didn't like it. I haven't watched the animated shows beyond a couple of episodes as I generally don't enjoy animation.

Strange New Worlds is the only actually watchable show out of the New Trek live-action ones. It's not great or anything, no one will be debating SNW episodes after twenty years the way people still do for TNG-DS9 and even some VOY episodes (fuck Tuvix, Janeway was right), but it is competently made and written and a handful of episodes stand out as a labor of love (like the musical episode).

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
The high seas are everyone's friend.

I'd argue Lower Decks is actually the best trek going ATM. I also like SNW quite a bit and I understand if you're not looking for animated shows, but if you don't mind that Lower Decks is awesome. They don't have to be constrained by the actual sets and budgets so they actually do go weird new places and we see new civilizations and people. And the writers are clearly deep fans with strange cuts they insert for fan service (making weird references to old TOS eps, doing riffs on classic VOY eps, and way more). You don't need any of that context to enjoy it but if you know it you'll frequently be laughing at offhand remarks and then again at the actual jokes. Best current show IMO, with SNW close behind.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I just finished the Fallout TV show, and thought it was fun. It wasn't the best thing ever, but it entertained.
I avoid most TV/movie adaptation, but Prime was on TV and I got curious.
First episode felt like a standard high budget scifi story. Haven't watched beyond it.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I enjoyed all three seasons of Picard even tho the end of the first season was dumb asf. Season 3 was a lot of fun.

Sure they are nowhere near as good as any TNG season but its fine. I didn't have high expectations for them.

It kinda felt like they made them just barely good enough for people to justify a subscription to Paramount plus for a few months. That is kind of how I treated it because there was not much else to watch on that streaming service. NFL games on CBS in the afternoon was the only other reason to ever use it from what I remember. They even had to basically give away the showtime content alongside with it to increase sub numbers.

I enjoyed the first 2 seasons of Discovery as well but I was done with it afterwards and still haven't caught up. I'm glad people like SNW. It is something I will most likely check out in the future.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Everyone's too busy talking about Star Trek. What a bunch of nerds. :blobnerd:
I never really watched Star Trek. Difficult situation to be in when most fans will tell you to watch 532,7 episodes an 22 movies to fully enjoy the series.
I kinda wanted to start with Discovery, but you make for bad motivators on that front.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I never really watched Star Trek. Difficult situation to be in when most fans will tell you to watch 532,7 episodes an 22 movies to fully enjoy the series.
I kinda wanted to start with Discovery, but you make for bad motivators on that front.
Watch Babylon 5 instead. A much better show with only a fraction of the runtime.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Had a play with the Character Creator and Benchmark tool for Dawntrail. You can run the benchmark with your in game character.

Plus I get an extremely high on my PC. Although it should as it exceeds the recomended settings.

Happy with how my character comes out, although a few people are having problems with their characters not looking right for them.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Watch Babylon 5 instead. A much better show with only a fraction of the runtime.
Such a good advice. B5 is a masterpiece (eventhough first season requires some extra patience). It was funny seeing it only after playing Mass Effect trilogy and seeing just how much Bioware were inspired by B5 when making it.

Reactions: Kyougar

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Such a good advice. B5 is a masterpiece (eventhough first season requires some extra patience). It was funny seeing it only after playing Mass Effect trilogy and seeing just how much Bioware were inspired by B5 when making it.
Did a rewatch recently with "Babylon 5 for the first time" podcast

Reactions: Alexandros

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
RPS don't do shit nowadays anyway (hopefully that's not what she takes with her over there), at least Eurogamer covers cool if niche stuff like PC VR/VR mods.

The last time RPS spoke of VR (rarely as always) was to whine about stand alone console VR (Quest 1 getting deprecated), like that's got much to do with PC. It's a big deal for me, PC VR has so much great content, official and not, but the VR outlets are very Meta/Sony geared, a PC site should do right by the platform.

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
RPS don't do shit nowadays anyway
I used to read RPS a lot from 2014 to 2017-18. Their Steam integration (along with PCGamer) was great, I miss that feature.
But then I lost touch and I have no idea what they do (except for that one nice interview with Spiderweb Software/Jeff Vogel recently).

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Almost a month with my Steam deck and here's my biggest take-aways:

1: I'm there day 1 for Steam Deck 2, total believer.
2: Linux is good, but needs more mainstream attention from devs and consumers.
3: Would like Valve to make "official" accessories. Some sorta keyboard/kickstand combo would be great.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
2: Linux is good, but needs more mainstream attention from devs and consumers.
It's pretty impressive to me how many things already work on Linux, despite basically zero support from larger companies. Proton is just one of the most visible and more impressive results of this. As the enshittifaction of Windows continues, I really hope more people are open to leaving behind systems controlled by large tech companies and seriously explore the option of switching to a free operating system.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
It's pretty impressive to me how many things already work on Linux, despite basically zero support from larger companies. Proton is just one of the most visible and more impressive results of this. As the enshittifaction of Windows continues, I really hope more people are open to leaving behind systems controlled by large tech companies and seriously explore the option of switching to a free operating system.
I'm seriously considering my next desktop build to go with a Linux distro for OS. But since my main hobby is gaming it feels a bit... awkward. Nvidia drivers are not quite optimized for Linux, often unable to fully leverage performance of a card to max. And Nvidia themselves is slow to feature update for Linux/Vulcan it seems.

Devs, especially JP devs have an extremely bad habit of relying on Windows exclusive features, draw calls, and codecs.

And then there is the fact that all of my own personal knowledge and comfort is based in DirectX and Windows tinkering.

... But I grow increasingly weary of Windows and it's bloat. I especially hate how slow it gets with age. Even outside of gaming, my PC's performance now compared to when i built it 5 years ago is a shit show. The registry is a mess, it never cleans itself up with flags and paths from games and programs I haven't used in years. The local and wandering folders are a minefield. Etc...

What I might do is a dual-boot. Linux as my main, and Windows just for specific games that require it idk.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Watching the trailer for Sandland it reminded me how much I used to love Akira Toriyama's vehicle designs. Something about that bubble look I allways used to love.

Metaphor Re Fantazio will be an interesting one to watch. We have had Unicorn Overlord released to strong sales (even if there is no PC version :rolleyes:) and seems to be constrained in Japan due to a lack of physical copies, Metaphor is the first Atlus game to release on (almost) all major platforms at the same time as well and if it performs in line with P5R it should show more growth for Atlus.

On the other hand we are expecting (maybe) to see XVI on PC and at a real push Rebirth. If S-E continue down there usual path I don't expect them to outperform Dawntrail, nevermind something like Metaphor.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Metaphor is the only remaining 2024 release I'm excited for right now. There have been some bangers this year (Rebirth and Dragon's Dogma 2 in particular), but overall it feels dry compared to last year.

I can't get over how stupid the name of this game is.
It's honestly a feat that this manages to standout and annoy me so much considering how stupid and filled with made-up words the japaneses games usually are.
Atlus published a game called Unicorn Overlord (that is really awesome). Their naming committee must have a really worn out dartboard.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Saw news on Era today of Koei Tecmo revising their financial forecast downwards heavily due to weaker than expected sales (hard to link, because the OP's source is a PDF press release in Japanese).

I'm a pretty big fan of their games, but I can't help but feel a lot of schadenfreude about their sales cratering after they completely scrapped their regional pricing on Steam. Basically, they saw Capcom producing record revenues doing that and figured they'd follow suit... including all their legacy titles. Haven't bought a game from them since, even on sale.

"B-b-but we raised our prices, surely this means we'll make more money.... right?" Idiots.