Community MetaSteam | April 2024 - Definitely there's no rest for the wicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I would love to learn French. Already got a textbook. The problem is I need to get myself together and start reading it :LOL:

Unlocks within an hour. Now let's appreciate this hype af anime opening.

• Gib
Reactions: Blu

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Everyone posting about languages for some reason. Native Portuguese-BR speaker, but I also can read, write and talk in English and after having conversations with people from different parts of the world using English I stopped caring about my accent or mispronouncing some words lol.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021
Finally finished Persona 4 Golden. I started it a few years ago and put around 20-25 hours into it. I recently decided to come back to it and finish it off. Overall it was great. I wasn't able to max out all the social links but I imagine that you would have to rely on a guide in order to do so which to me would suck the fun out of the game.

Next game that I want to go back to and finish is Hades. After that then I will either return to Hollow Knight or start my playthrough of Persona 5 Royal.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I speak the language of the Internet what ever that is.

Watch at the 2:40 mark.

Never forgets, Gumball is a show by a French dude with a bunch of British writers that is animated in Germany and takes place in some fictional town in the US. Most likely California since that's what it looks like around here and the school that they go to is based of a school in San Francisco.

Which is why some jokes don't really make sense. They compared drunk British people acting like babies, but they can't call adults babies since that's typical not how American adults act. Which is why they had to change the joke and say tourist in order to refer to British adults. Which may be confusing to people in England?

@2:55

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Im fluent in both Swedish and English, I should know Finnish since it’s my mother tongue but in never used it, so I had so start Duolingo on that. I do love in France and know French also, but really need to improve on that too.

Speaking of pommes, here’s a French joke I made:

Qu’est ce tu appelles une pomme qui tombe? Une pomme de terre!

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I only know some basic phrases in Spanish and Japanese, but hey I have a brain and read books so I understand that language is complicated (English even more so) and there's never a right answer in words for every idea.

Anyone in a technical field can tell you trying to use only words to describe something is impossible when you get to the minute details. It's the whole reason software is so good across spoken languages because it is unambiguous. (Yes I know about undefined behavior in stuff like C, but let me make a point here before muddying the water, please)

Code is clear because the meaning is fixed. Words do not have fixed meaning. They vary with context, time, social and cultural changes, tons of things. Words that have no connotation can gain them over time and seem very different to future readers-- this is how "ye olde English" became "ye olde English" and not just... the way English was. Every language has something like this. Be it tenses or antiquated modes of speech, idioms, or whatever else.

You can't ever expect to deal with all of that nuance in a concise way when doing something like playing a game. There are entire books written about the translation of other books! We can't expect a book-like margin on the side of every text box explaining how this scene and sentence flows into the next and notes they had to cross reference here or there to stay consistent. Though that might be a really cool feature for like game studies and linguists who are interested in games.

There's an endless amount of ink that could be spilled on why this choice or that choice was made in any circumstance. Was it based on conveying a tone of voice, or a personality, or foreshadowing for the reader, or any of a billion other things. I've enjoyed language (English) and the study of it a little as a hobbyist and I know exactly enough to know that shit is complicated. That's just the one language. I dunno how anyone can simultaneously hold all that info about multiple other languages in their head at the same time. I assume every language is as full of nuance as English can be and it makes my head spin how anyone can ever communicate clearly lol.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Looks like the Fallout games got a crazy bump because of the show. And ofc they immediately renewed for a season 2. I haven't had the time to watch it yet but it must be very good lol.

You know Microsoft is about to sell the Elder Scrolls license as well for a tv show. Time that shit up perfectly with Elder Scrolls 6 or a new ESO expansion. Or hey just let Skyrim sell an another 20 million copies lol.

Wanna see how some other franchises could do TV shows. I think there are still plenty left that would be a good fit.

Mass Effect
Final Fantasy
Dragon Age
Metal Gear Solid
Elder Scrolls
Grand Theft Auto
Red Dead
Silent Hill
Street Fighter
Gears

Resident Evil tried it already but the show was a flop. Tho the earlier movies made a lot of $$$ so must have still been very profitable for Capcom.

Reactions: lashman

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Resident Evil tried it already but the show was a flop. Tho the earlier movies made a lot of $$$ so must have still been very profitable for Capcom.
Because wtf was that tv show story? I got so bored in the first episode itself....
The movies started off well, but became a complete shitfest.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
About "ye olde English" which I think two people mentioned recently, there is an interesting tidbit to that:

in short: the letter thorn ( þ ), pronounced "th", couldnt be printed in European printing machines and was replaced by the similar looking "y" – leading to a "trail of confusion", and thats why you often see "ye" used and pronounced incorrectly :)

~

regarding languages: I'm native in (Austrian) German, fluent in English, and known some Slovene and Italian, and will be able to understand some of the other languages in the Germanic family, and some words in Romance and Slavic languages

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
About "ye olde English" which I think two people mentioned recently, there is an interesting tidbit to that:

in short: the letter thorn ( þ ), pronounced "th", couldnt be printed in European printing machines and was replaced by the similar looking "y" – leading to a "trail of confusion", and thats why you often see "ye" used and pronounced incorrectly :)

~

regarding languages: I'm native in (Austrian) German, fluent in English, and known some Slovene and Italian, and will be able to understand some of the other languages in the Germanic family, and some words in Romance and Slavic languages
Funnily enough something I learnt from QI.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Eiyuden is aggressively PS2... even the environments :cold-sweat:

It's rare now to see games like this that are just trying to be like it was to the point of feeling a bit too simplistic.
And it's not like they don't have ideas, the boss fights are all different and entertaining, but the rest is just sooo formulaic and so flat... at least the voice acting the the funny dialogue helps it keep going, and the pacing is not awful like so many others, but still.
It's all a bit average, which arguably is on par with Suikoden... it was always the cheap series that manage to do more than their tiny budget would suggest... and it does have that nice feeling of exploring a world and progression while recruiting more chars, but the basic combat is all very menial, and the balance is really shitty.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Times have changed, no creation game will get a free pass to others' IP, only official collabs going forward like say, Sonic Roblox and what not. Of course people can still make random fan mods for this or that game (or stand alone freeware fan games), so long as it's small scale/doesn't ask for money/donations/doesn't gain traction/attention from the wrong people and does its best to not steal content from other games but make it from the ground up, even if it's others' IP...

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Capcom will be discontinuing digital sales of “Dark Void”/”Dark Void Zero”/”Flock!” on Steam Store on May 8th 5:30PM PDT.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I've actually been playing Fallout 3 again, some things about NV really annoy me and I thought F3 was a step up from Oblivion that I hoped they'd continue but Skyrim didn't as much. And it runs surprisingly good, I've not even used any mods or fixes and it's smooth sailing so far. Some frame drops here and there. And it's not the GOTY edition but the original + DLC, GOTY actually did give me some trouble only working in German or something (mistaking GR for Germany?). I just really dislike the even more consolified HUD of Fallout 4, the starting missions/story and the whole settlement stuff to go there after the show.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stevey

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Yeah tried to play FO4 with mods and it's broken beyond belief. Thanks Bethesda.

Without mods the game is still fucked in different ways. Like how it FORCES V-sync, and the engine physics being tied to 60 FPS or lower. On a 144hz screen the game will lock you to 48hz...

Big sigh. Was hoping to jump back in and play the DLC's i never got to.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
A while ago I posted that I had found an unused code for a Fortnite skin and asked for suggestions.

Well, today I managed to sell it for 1200$ on ebay!

...I only got around 950$ because of ebay's -insane- fees. I was scared of getting scammed, but the buyer was really friendly and provided written confirmation that the code worked. So I think I'm in the clear!

It'll cover some of the crazy expenses for my first child's room (due date is in August)!

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I finished The Pedestrian today and that was really nice relaxing puzzle game that unfortunately ends when they introduced in my opinion best mechanic in the game. Music is great and overall atmosphere is really good. But as I said game kinda ends too soon and feels like it was meant to be way bigger.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
A while ago I posted that I had found an unused code for a Fortnite skin and asked for suggestions.

Well, today I managed to sell it for 1200$ on ebay!

...I only got around 950$ because of ebay's -insane- fees. I was scared of getting scammed, but the buyer was really friendly and provided written confirmation that the code worked. So I think I'm in the clear!

It'll cover some of the crazy expenses for my first child's room (due date is in August)!
Hello it's me your child! Here's my steam wishlist...

Status
Not open for further replies.