Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
Do you get some kind of warning or notification from Steam regarding this? How would you otherwise know you've hit your cap?

And the cap is per game right? Not a total cap for your entire account?
No.
Per-game.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I am a self-confessed NMS Fan even back at launch i really enjoyed the experience but it is one of my drop-in play for a few days and then not launch it for weeks kind of games. If i have a backlog of podcasts and the weather is shitty outside then i'll probably be playing NMS.

I am SUPER CASUAL about it though so i don't really bother with base-building aside from when it has stuff i want. I enjoy flying around, exploring planets to see the sights and catalogue the beasties. I keep an eye out for crashed ships and play with some of the Ruins before leaving to follow the Main Path for a bit and maybe fight some Pirates if my current ship is specc'd for it. I just play on Normal mode rather than survival or Creative too. There's a few QOL issues and little glitches last time i played but nothing that serious impacted my enjoyment.

The main loop for me is find resources, fix your kit, power your kit, explore the planet for materials, beasties and technology, build a base or leave to explore other planets or systems, maybe build a trade fleet or knock-heads with Pirates or avoid all that and fly to follow the mysteries.

I've been lucky with not having too many bugs and there were some launch issues but it's always been a solo space explorer game for me and i love it.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
With Gamepass I tried a lot of things.
CrossCode: cool game, looks cool. Absurdly repetitive combat, copy/pasted ennemies, dungeons that never end, pointless loot and upgrades, awful, awful RPG. Awful action game too, it's not like it plays differently with new elements.

State of Decay 2: one of the ugliest games I've ever seen. I'm not only talking about the hideous gameworld, I've seen better in asset flips; but the game is blurry as shit and you can't fix it thanks UWP too).
Played10 minutes, it's another boring ass zombie game with boring ass loot and boring ass combat and boring ass everything.

And that pretty applies to almost everything I've played on Gamepass: boring "AAA" garbage, boring Microsoft garbage, boring indie garbage.
None of the games are fun to play, they all need bloated worlds, slow movement, repetitive combat.

But hey, soon I'll have more cinematic shit to play, more Ubitrash from Nintendo, more copy/paste, more, more, more.
I think I'll just give up video games like I did movies and series: it's a mountain of boring crap.

No wonder indies can't find their place, there's just too much to fill the toilet already.

Reactions: xinek and lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Ouch xo
Didnt u jave it in a protective cover and screen peotector?
Nope, when I got it there were no cases or screen protectors available :c
Like totally? Damn that sucks. The only problem my phones has except for the cracks is that the battery has begun swelling, which isn't that good afaik. It's been over a month but I finally found time to get a new battery so I hope it wont blow up or kill me with the fumes until I get it. :sweaty-blob:
Yup, display is toast, and Motorola and third party services want 200 bucks to repair it.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Line it sounds more like the problem is somewhere else and you are just not in the mood and overall bored of games all .stop playing for some time , recharge and you will enjoy stuff again

i get such mood like twice a year
Thing is, I barely play videogames.
That's not new, so I can't expect that to be temporary.

It's been a good decade + since i Just completely lost interest in Batman Creed of Cinematic Experience. Everything is the same game, even fucking Zelda was Ubitrash.
Now there are plenty of interesting indies, I played a lot of them.
But when you have twelve Metroidvanias every month, 50 "inspired by Chrono Trigger and Dark Souls" RPGs every year?
Same thing is happening.
It's all boring.

Originally I played PC games for the community, I spend countless hours in Warcraft 3 mods, in MMOs, hell even Minecraft.
Now that it's all dead and just GAAS with automated LFG where you may as well play with bots... why bother?
I'll stick to the occasional RPG and quirky game that comes out, I really want to play Psychonauts 2. I just hope it'll be good, because 3D platformers are not even remotely popular, but I still have 10+ on Steam alone... too much of everything is not only a problem for devs.
Believe me, I'd like to be able to play rehashed EA games every year and enjoy it... as strange as it sounds.

Reactions: Wok and xinek

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
Line

Try a new hobby? Seems video games aren't fulfilling what you're longing for.

Personally, I love reading, working out, meditation, and fiddling around with my guitar and camera.

Ask yourself what it is you really want out of life, sounds like it isn't getting the high score or New Game + at this point.

Video games aren't going anywhere, I promise. They'll be here when you return.

I also rarely make time to game anymore. It's just not a high priority for me at my current stage in life, and that's okay.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Any player of Age of Wonders Planetfall ? Reviews are nice but steam reviews are more of a mixed bag.
That being said I just glanced at them, not really tried to parse the sane from the stupid ones.

Reactions: Alexandros

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Line

Try a new hobby? Seems video games aren't fulfilling what you're longing for.

Personally, I love reading, working out, meditation, and fiddling around with my guitar and camera.

Ask yourself what it is you really want out of life, sounds like it isn't getting the high score or New Game + at this point.

Video games aren't going anywhere, I promise. They'll be here when you return.

I also rarely make time to game anymore. It's just not a high priority for me at my current stage in life, and that's okay.
I was always an avid reader but it was always hampered by my budget. So it was like 60-80% video games, 10 to 30% videos/tv and 5 to 10% reading for years.
Until I fell in the rabbit hole of Fanfiction and free amateur works. now it is 50% reading (reading on phone while waiting for/on the bus included), 25% videos and 25% gaming.

Reactions: teezzy

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Gmail and youtube broke for me. It's kinda scary how much I rely on google.

Reactions: PhaZZe

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Any player of Age of Wonders Planetfall ? Reviews are nice but steam reviews are more of a mixed bag.
That being said I just glanced at them, not really tried to parse the sane from the stupid ones.
I am playing it for the purposes of a review, what do you want to know?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I am playing it for the purposes of a review, what do you want to know?
Oh, just wondering if it is worth a buy I guess.
Several people seem to have encountered bugs, did you ?

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
SHENZEN I/O is less than $5 on Fanatical. I know this game is too much for me, but I'm still tempted. I need more will power.

Exzyleph

Dark Eroge Lord
Oct 9, 2018
Finished Muv-luv extra / Unlimited.... Starting with Alternative! See ya on the other side!
You're in for a ride! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Just finished a can of milk coffee and looked at the bottom.
If it didn't taste off, then you're probably fine.

And if not, then at least you'll have more time to shit-post, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

m_dorian

Ούτις
May 22, 2019
I have spent more time watching tutorial videos for Crusader Kings II than playing the game itself and it is time well spent,
It was on Humble bundle for 15 with all expansions and it will remain as such for 3 more days if anyone's interested.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Oh, just wondering if it is worth a buy I guess.
Several people seem to have encountered bugs, did you ?
The first time I ran the game I had a crash but it hasn't happened since. I haven't encountered any other bug, the game was patched twice in the last few days so maybe some of the issues were already fixed.

It's an interesting game with a lot of depth and fun XCOM-style combat. My only issue with it so far is that the tutorial isn't good and the campaign throws a lot of stuff at you really fast which was honestly overwhelming.

Reactions: Li Kao

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Alpha Protocol
B10

I don't think I feel positvely about the game. Visually, thanks to SSGSS AA, it has some nice looking visuals, but the gameplay is such a mixed bag to me. It having hella janky stealth system was offputting as I focused on going Stealth throughout the game =_= I put 0 points into any of the firearms which mad eboss battles needlessly tough.
Why does this game even HAVE boss fights ugh....

Still its character interaction element is intriguing and I plan on utilizing it better in a future playthrough just to do better with them.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I shall patiently wait for Octopath Travel to be discounted lower than 50%.
Lo
When all is said and bought
When my wishlist has but scant few games that I desire
Perhaps these 50% S-E games will be worth my Gil

Reactions: PhaZZe

teezzy

formerly 'deftones r cool'
Apr 19, 2019
I was always an avid reader but it was always hampered by my budget. So it was like 60-80% video games, 10 to 30% videos/tv and 5 to 10% reading for years.
Until I fell in the rabbit hole of Fanfiction and free amateur works. now it is 50% reading (reading on phone while waiting for/on the bus included), 25% videos and 25% gaming.
My local library is only a few streets down in my neighborhood. It's a blessing.

Also love just going there to see what classics I can gnab for 50 cents USD a paperback and $1 a hardcover.

Built myself a neat little personal library that way.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
The prices of games drop so fast nowadays.

Next gen PC gaming is gonna be ridiculous with Gamepass, Uplay+ and Origin Premiere.

Basically sub to Uplay+ for a couple months a year to stream all Ubisofts big titles via Stadia or play them on PC.
Subscribe to Premiere for another couple months out of the year to play all of what EA has to offer.
And with gamepass at this point is straight up encouraging you not to buy microsoft games. Plus other indies etc. So about 3 months a year will be enough of that.

So for about 80-100$ you will have access to so many titles every year. More games than you will have time to play them. Ofc you don't own any of it but still 100$ a year is not that much for anyone who cares about gaming. Its cheaper than Netflix sub for a year.

Then you always have Steam which will undoubtedly see lower and lower prices with this whole race to the bottom tactics by big publishers. If that is still not enough and you are too lazy to search for games..... then just sub to humble monthly which can net you nearly 100 decent random games a year that you will own for about 120$. And you will get an additional discount to their store too.

Basically there is a lot of options. And if you play it really smart its probably better to just dedicate most of your spending to gaming hardware instead of buying 60$ games at launch. Never been a better time to build a superpowerful rig with a quality monitor or even go for nice gaming laptop. You can be cheap as hell with games themselves and still experience all the good shit about PC.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
My local library is only a few streets down in my neighborhood. It's a blessing.

Also love just going there to see what classics I can gnab for 50 cents USD a paperback and $1 a hardcover.

Built myself a neat little personal library that way.
I am at a point where normal 40k to 100k word novels don't interest me anymore unless they are part of a Series. I continuously read novels that are 500k to several million words long (currently reading the ongoing webnovel "the wandering Inn" who is shy of 4 million words). When I browse sites like fanfiction, webnovel or fictionpress, I don't even read the blurbs if they are lower than 200k words.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
The Remnant dev stream really sold me on that game. It looks like it could be a nice little barely-marketed gem.

Wavering between picking it up or blowing a ton of cash on obscure hardcore 7"s because this guy I follow is selling his unrealistically good collection. I don't know why those options preclude the other, but it feels like they should.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I am at a point where normal 40k to 100k word novels don't interest me anymore unless they are part of a Series. I continuously read novels that are 500k to several million words long (currently reading the ongoing webnovel "the wandering Inn" who is shy of 4 million words). When I browse sites like fanfiction, webnovel or fictionpress, I don't even read the blurbs if they are lower than 200k words.
I recommend:
I Shall Seal the Heavens, A Will Eternal, Renegade Immortal
I Shall Seal The Heavens and A Will Eternal are already completed, Renegade Immortal is still being translated.
They're all by Er Gen and amazing and should be long enough :p

Misty Rain of the South is also quickly turning into one of my favorite chinese writers.
Read the currently translated 6 volumes of Monarch of Evernight and they were really good.
And just started reading Demon Hunter, since I think it's close to being completely translated. In Volume 2 right now and it has been extremely good as well.
He has 3rd novel as well, which I plan on starting afterwards: City of Sin

Then there's also Way of Choices/Ze Tian Ji on webnovel, which is completed and extremely well-written.

Martial World is a good mindless popcorn read.

Douluo Dalu/Combat Content and 修真世界 World of Cultivation are very good completed novels as well.

Wuxiaworld also had some very good completed Korean novels, but I dunno where they went: Breakers, Seoul Station's Necromancer and Praise the Orc come to mind.

And before I forgot, because I'm some 200 chapters behind, Release That Witch is also excellent.

I probably have some more recs and can give some more details about the ones I mentioned if need be :)

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I recommend:
I Shall Seal the Heavens, A Will Eternal, Renegade Immortal
I Shall Seal The Heavens and A Will Eternal are already completed, Renegade Immortal is still being translated.
They're all by Er Gen and amazing and should be long enough :p

Misty Rain of the South is also quickly turning into one of my favorite chinese writers.
Read the currently translated 6 volumes of Monarch of Evernight and they were really good.
And just started reading Demon Hunter, since I think it's close to being completely translated. In Volume 2 right now and it has been extremely good as well.
He has 3rd novel as well, which I plan on starting afterwards: City of Sin

Then there's also Way of Choices/Ze Tian Ji on webnovel, which is completed and extremely well-written.

Martial World is a good mindless popcorn read.

Douluo Dalu/Combat Content and 修真世界 World of Cultivation are very good completed novels as well.

Wuxiaworld also had some very good completed Korean novels, but I dunno where they went: Breakers, Seoul Station's Necromancer and Praise the Orc come to mind.

And before I forgot, because I'm some 200 chapters behind, Release That Witch is also excellent.

I probably have some more recs and can give some more details about the ones I mentioned if need be :)
booknerdhug

I paused I shall seal the heavens at the arc where he is at the Desert Tribe after he raised those Wolves. Didn't get to his other novels yet.
Will check out monarch of Evernight and Misty Rain
Release that Witch is currently my favorite chinese Webnovel and I am at chapter 800. Heard it recently finished. (It also drops HARD on the Webnovel ladder, it was around tenth place for the last year and dropped to 16/17 the last week.
I am also nearly finished with Warlock of the Magus world, featuring a protagonist that has dubious morals.

For western novels I can recommend:

Worm, the webnovel with the biggest and most active fanbase (it has the most fanfiction works of every non-commercial novel and is probably in the top 10% of fanfiction works of all novels), it is 1.7 million words long, has a complete Audio-Book, several youtube analysis series, and the sequel is currently being written.
it is a Superpowers fictional work and our heroine tries to be a hero but becomes a Villain. It is very grimdark and people are not safe.

Mother of Learning, work in Progress (800k words) about a teenage (15) Mage-in-training who goes to his third year at the magical University.
This is not Harry Potter, the cool thing about this novel is: It is Groundhog day for a whole month! He relives the first month of his school year because at the end of the month the City is attacked and he gets struck by a spell, and he isn't alone in the loop.

And I am dropping the Website of "Fel" in here he has 2 massive Series (one the Taerin Kel Saga, (Fantasy) and the Subjugation Universe, which is SciFi. Those novels are massive.

There is also a cool DND self-insert Story about a human with DND knowledge being born into an Orc Tribe: In my times of Trouble which plays some years before the times of trouble and is getting to that date year after year.
Man, there are sooo much self-inserts ^^ One has just to find the good ones.

Reactions: Ascheroth
Status
Not open for further replies.