Community MetaSteam | August 2019 - The Darqest Place Can Shine With A Mecha-President

Status
Not open for further replies.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Finished Batman Enemy Within. Really pleasantly surprised. I liked the previous one, but I wasn't really sure they would be able to stick the landing on what they set up for Enemy Within. They totally did. I think it's up there with TWAU with my favorite stuff TTS did. The choices sometimes weren't as transparent as I'd wanted, but overall the choices presented were consistently very interesting and thought provoking. Good stuff.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
What are your temps like when the pc shuts down? Do you have MSI afterburner installed? Could be your powersupply or gpu fans that need tinkering. Its usually one of those two things when pc randomly shuts down like that.

Also if you have Win10 go to settings and disable game mode + game bar. Those things caused my rig to shutdown a bunch earlier in the year for wtvr reason.
No to having MSI Afterburner installed.
How would I know what my temps were when crashing? That is not logged anywhere to my knowledge, so I only know what my temps were after reboot. Around 48C for the CPU, the GPU I forgot to check.

I believe Game Mode and the Gaming bar is already off, but I will double check.

FunnyJay My new card did that until i installed the Fan Control software, apparently the default bios settings are trash on EVGA.
As yuraya said Check temps of CPU, GPU and Chassis, Check PSU fan runs when under load, check if you need to run an app for your GPU etc.
What Fan control SW do you recommend?

Also, here are some HW details. The system is getting a bit on the older side...

Mobo: ASUS R5A97 2.0
CPU: AMD FX-6350
Mem: Some ancient 8Gb DDR3 1333 MHz
GPU: Radeon R9 380
CPU cooler: Cryorig H7
Upgraded from Win7 to Win10 last year, haven't had any issues before upgrading to Win10.
As you can see, the system has a few years on its back, so I feel more upgrades may not be worth it compared to building something entirely new.

Also, I got a message from the Radeon Crimson whatever suite that "Radeon Wattman settings were reset" when I rebooted the computer after the crash.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
No to having MSI Afterburner installed.
How would I know what my temps were when crashing? That is not logged anywhere to my knowledge, so I only know what my temps were after reboot. Around 48C for the CPU, the GPU I forgot to check.

I believe Game Mode and the Gaming bar is already off, but I will double check.
Install Afterburner and go to settings -> monitoring..... to set up temp to display while your are gaming.

Monitor your cpu and gpu temps while playing the demanding games and see where they are at right b4 pc shuts down or starts acting up. Crank up the settings/resolution to really stress test your card if you have to and keep an eye on the temps as you do it. You should be able to tell what exactly causes the crash.

If CPU temp is abnormally high then you should change your thermal paste.
If GPU temp is too high then go to fan settings in afterburner and see how they are working. Set up a custom fan curve if gpu is overheating easily. It is still summer after all so it may not take much to overheat your rig to the point where your motherboard shuts everything down. Also consider changing thermal paste in gpu if it is ridiculously hot all the time. and/or becomes hot very fast. Some of those older AMD gpus ran stupidly hot for their time.

If neither GPU or CPU temps are the issue then its most likely your power supply being on its last legs. In that case you will need a new one but don't go buying a new power supply unless you know its the last resort. It is most likely the other things in this case. Random shutdowns (involving green screens) are guaranteed to be overheating issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: FunnyJay

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
A question: based on past entries, would someone who barely played the first Gears of War game would be able to start playing Gears 5, and understand thing, plotwise?
Are there usually any recaps, or something, so that people can catch-up as they play?

Additionally, how are the games, in terms of SP content (generous length campaign, alternate modes, ...)?

I played 4 in the middle of 2018 in one of those (never ending) Gamepass promos after only playing the first one a looooooong time ago.. I think they did a quick recap in the form of a speech but I it wasn't really very compreensive. But if you get the "really bad enemies were defeated and here are at least one familiar face" you are probably good to go for that game.

The main problem is that the campaign was big fat "mehhh" for me. Not terrible or anything but as someone without any investment in the series it wasn't that good either. I did finish it ( 10hs according to the Xbox app ) but had no interest in replaying or anything since it was on Gamepass after all.

It did leave on a "hook" for the next game and I want to play it (on Gamepass again given the terrible regional price over here), but that being said, there is nothing that can't be recapped in 3 minutes or so if they wish.

So..... maybe play 4 before if you have Gamepass, but you probably won't miss that much by going straight to 5..

FunnyJay