Community MetaSteam | August 2020 - Come Fly With Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
This is actually the only EGS exclusive that I may consider buying when it hits Steam. But I'm still not sure it's a "must play". I've read so many mixed reactions about this game...
Obsidian got fucked over by Private Divison. From everything Ive heard from Obsidian, they really like Steam and they mentioned Steam in regards to which platform the game would release on during that quick questions Game Informer interview.

I have no doubt that Obsidian is excited for the Steam release so they can put it on the platform they wanted to have it on in the first place. They were literally adding cheevos to the Steam version they day the EGSxclusivity was announced if I recall correctly. They might not have known about the exclusivity until everyone else did.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Thanks for your opinion on Outer Worlds guys. I guess I'll spend my time on other games instead.

Obsidian got fucked over by Private Divison. From everything Ive heard from Obsidian, they really like Steam and they mentioned Steam in regards to which platform the game would release on during that quick questions Game Informer interview.

I have no doubt that Obsidian is excited for the Steam release so they can put it on the platform they wanted to have it on in the first place. They were literally adding cheevos to the Steam version they day the EGSxclusivity was announced if I recall correctly. They might not have known about the exclusivity until everyone else did.
Sad story. The same thing happened with Metro Exodus if I remember correctly.

It made me sad when I read that Moon Studios signed a deal with Private Division. We'll have to wait and see if they will make other exclusivity deals, but after Desintegration flopping on Steam (and everywhere else) it's not unlikely.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Several employees confirmed on discord and reddit that they found out about exclusivity the same time we did, Its unknown if the higher ups at obsidian knew prior and how much of a heads up they even had. But the devs on discord/reddit were NOT happy about the deal.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
outer worlds was pretty basic but I spent a bunch of time with it and did get the "good' ending. justified my $5 for game pass that month(y) i know it makes me a terrible shill but game pass really is the best deal for pc games out there.

pretty sure every egs exclusive has appeared on game pass other than tetris at this point 😆

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Aaron D.

10 hours into Logistical Earth 3
Sweet.

and I simultaneously have the feeling that I am blocked in too much (Germany) and having too much to do still (New Zealand)

- Always keep an eye on Main & Work contracts (the first 2 of 4 Contract filters). They'll guide you along the learning curve with hands-on goals. Don't feel like you have to 100% an area before moving on. In most cases you won't be able to anyway as you'll need additional goods from other countries to complete the current area. Just follow the bread-crumb trail of primary/work contracts, sticking around your current area only to boost cash reserves/ commodity stockpiles or enjoy some Zen-like "podcast gaming".

- Have you ventured into Australia yet? Feels to me like it's NZ pt. 2 in regards to the tutorialization. (Remember that new contracts pop up as you explore specific regions and complete prior contracts. You may have skipped ahead a bit with Germany.)

- I always try to explore a region as thoroughly as I can as it reveals new Industry types. It's like a loop in that uncovering new commodities can unlock prior progress roadblocks that you've stepped away from.

- Speaking of which, always be on the lookout for Road Fixes to access new areas. Pick up your vehicle on the gameplay field (not the side bar) and you'll see red circles on the road indicating a Road Fix that will move you to a new, unexplored area. You won't always have the right material to fix the road as the game is heavily puzzle-focused and the gatekeeping is by design.

- You'll get an early contracts to unlock shipping ports in NZ / AU. Can't remember the NZ contract name but AU is "Port in Sydney" (Botany Bay). Do these ASAP as it blows the whole game wide open (along with the AU contract that awards you a free 100T 5-wagon diesel train...you'll need that to complete Botany Bay). Pro-tip: Spend the extra $ on a used 800t ship in NZ instead of the cheaper 200t job. Costs about twice as much, but it's easily worth it near-term.

- A HUGE breakthrough for me was learning that once you have one port open (NZ) and purchase a ship, you can buy storage crates on the cheap ($15K) at the NZ port and then ship any goods the construction of Sydney port requires directly into Botany Bay before that port is complete. For some reason I was thinking unlocking a port was landlocked to the specific port region's mainland. So for example I spent way longer than I care to admit looking all over for Brick industry in AU only to later discover that all I needed to do was simply ship the needed quantity over from NZ.

- Once you get a shipping port network open, material requirement unlocks become far easier to come by and can elevate that feeling of being stuck or stalled.

- Random aside: Completing towns will incur x mileage bonuses to the vehicle making the delivery (Boost, Power Boost, Unloading). So make sure you're spreading the last load to complete a town around to different vehicles to balance out the perks. Also, every 5 towns (business only) you complete will give you a permanent 2X speed boost to your vehicles (up to 6X)...it doesn't matter which vehicle you complete the towns with in this case, the bonus is distributed the the next vehicle in line regardless.

- If you're just trying to earn extra cash with easy towns, when you pull up the town info box (top-right), if the town name is written in White, that town will not consume goods between delivery loads. If the town name is in Blue, it will consume the product as you loop deliveries. Town icons on the map follow this white/blue rule as well.

For those keeping score at home:

So dumb, lol.

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
I don't know guys, I think Outer Wilds was pretty good. 🤷‍♂️
The Outer Winds was alright.
The Outer Woods was better.
Outer Whirls was decent.
Outer Wangs was hot.
Outer Witches was also hot.
The Outer Willows was pleasant.
The Outer Wainscoting was horrible.
The Outer Windows is the best one.

We don't talk about The Outer Wanking.

dfghstrbght

May 10, 2019
I wasn’t very interested in outer worlds, but I learnt that the game let me do some interesting stuff which I always wanted to in game.... which is being able to pretty much kill any and all character.

I tend to pretty much kill every single character I can when possible in my playthroughs and the above seems awesome.

Reactions: ISee and Cacher

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
For something that was talked about everywhere, meme'd like crazy, it sort of bombed on EGS. Data from the start of the year, though the game has completely disappeared from the zeitgeist. Though some say the goose is still honking to show Thatcher is dead.

So Goose game only sold less than 200k on PC? And also ended up selling over a million copies across all platforms?

Bad marketing? Over hype?

Much like the Rocket League situation, people are trying to give Sony credit for Fall Guys selling well on PC. 😂
Proof or this didn't happen. Are there people that are actually saying this? Because it doesn't make any sense. The game doesn't even have cross okay yet.

Reactions: ISee

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
So Goose game only sold less than 200k on PC? And also ended up selling over a million copies across all platforms?

Bad marketing? Over hype?

Proof or this didn't happen. Are there people that are actually saying this? Because it doesn't make any sense. The game doesn't even have cross okay yet.
Goose game is charming but massively overrated.

ScreamingTrees

Dec 12, 2018
I have to concur with this. Outer Worlds was disappointing and surprisingly shockingly dull.
It very much has the air of "been there, done that and got the tshirt" from the off sadly
I was really looking forward to it but never did play it. They don't let you rebind some of the keys so I'm not able to use mouse/keyboard on it. I could've set up an autohotkey script or use a controller but after seeing some people's impressions I didn't bother.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Goose game had artificial hype and was pushed by people and publications who don't really game that much or ever.

Apart from one stream (either sponsored or a big streamer checking it out) one day in January, it never set the world on fire.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
For something that was talked about everywhere, meme'd like crazy, it sort of bombed on EGS. Data from the start of the year, though the game has completely disappeared from the zeitgeist. Though some say the goose is still honking to show Thatcher is dead.

Doesn't hurt World War Z that it was free. Can't same the same about the others.

warp_

タコベルが大好き
Apr 18, 2019
it was a big thing with kids, that's for sure. reminded me of hello neighbor. that was another one that is huge with kids but "gamers" couldn't care less for it.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
Goose game had artificial hype and was pushed by people and publications who don't really game that much or ever.

Apart from one stream (either sponsored or a big streamer checking it out) one day in January, it never set the world on fire.

I'm going to gently push back on he whole, "non gamers" thing.

I get it, why trust the WSJ or NYTs on anything gaming. But more people talking and interested in games has no way of being bad. I hate the whole 'gamers vs the world' and I'm sure you didn't mean it like that but I get annoyed at the.... Not gatekeeping but fence guarding.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Goose game was a fun idea and anecdotally most of the people i saw playing it or talking about it were console people. Switch mostly. So it doing bad numbers on PC isn't shocking.

Also the idea of the game was basically Duck Hitman, which is a fun idea but it was never marketed that way. its was always just, "be an asshole duck LOL< MEME!!!" Just a missed opportunity there. Hitman is relatively popular on PC, I think.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Doesn't hurt World War Z that it was free. Can't same the same about the others.
These numbers were from before it was given away for free on Epic to stop the steam release. WWZ was given away with just about every CPU and gpu for free though and that definitely helped the numbers.

Reactions: lashman

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Picked up a cheapo indie, and it's really cool. Very difficult, but it's got a lot of cool stuff going on:

The art-style is charming, but it's got some cool mechanics to go with it. You choose 3 band members, then cycle them around to occupy the 3 lanes as visitors approach you. Happy visitors improve the mood of band members they interact with, while angry visitors will attack and hurt you. However, the other bandmates get jealous of happy visitors, and will lose health whenever they're not the one getting attention. So you have to try to balance out the positive and negative visitors to keep your band members all in it.

The thing is, it ramps up the difficulty really fast with a bunch of special status effects and visitors that make it really hard to keep up with the incoming flow. Some visitors apply dizzy, which will invert the effects of receiving a visitor (but only on the dizzied recipient). Band members can fall asleep, causing them to miss visitors for a brief period. There's a "tech" status effect that slaps a VR helmet on a band member, causing them to miss the next visitor. Keeping track of what will do what is tricky, and it's easy to accidentally let your band fall apart.

Then there are useable items you can find, special attacks to launch, boss battles to clear, and a roguelike progression system ala Nuclear Throne with a small number of random bonuses at the end of each stage.

It's a really neat little game. Just remember: Nail Head has a chance to counter the Fistman. (The translation is just bad enough to be charming.)

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Steam review trends for DanMachi aren't looking so hot. No controller support can be remedied somewhat with Steam Input, but probably will still result in lost sales from the uninitiated.
Looking at the reviews, there seems to be controller support. Have to turn it on in the settings. Seems like it doesn't change the button prompts which sucks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Well, that didn't take as long as I had hoped.

I probably should've played like an act a day or something, make it last a little. There's still like 2 weeks to go until Control...

I already completed it years ago but maybe I should do a replay of Alan Wake too while I'm at it...

Also, I think Death Stranding's photo mode has spoiled me. I expected to take a bunch of screenshots since I remembered the lighting in QB looking fantastic, but who wants to take normal screenshots?! The game's upscaling also makes the image super blurry and even my GTX 1660 Super took a hell of a performance hit when I turned it off. I probably could've managed 30fps with it turned off but I'd rather have a blurry image at 60fps.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm guessing that sales wise HZD is doing decently and sales will potentially pick up again when either A) a patch that improves things comes out or B) the game goes on discount for 20% off. Or a combination of the two.

Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I'm guessing that sales wise HZD is doing decently and sales will potentially pick up again when either A) a patch that improves things comes out or B) the game goes on discount for 20% off. Or a combination of the two.
Use the coupon gg-deals for additionally 10% off. It brings down to 25% discount

It's one of the conditions your condition. They also said that will adress the problems with the port :)

Reactions: QFNS and Tomasety

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Game is 33.60€ on CDkeys

Reactions: xinek

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Alan Wake?
Control's second DLC will be about that.
Literally the next line after the one you quoted. :p

I'm a little hesitant, though, because I absolutely love Alan Wake and I don't want to get unrealistically excited for that Control DLC. I've been disappointed too often when it comes to wanting more Alan Wake...

Status
Not open for further replies.