Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
BTW Aaron D. i started City of Gangsters today. Only played the tutorial but so far it seems a pretty deep gangster simulator. Getting that old Organised Crime feeling.

Forget abou'it. 'gestures with hands'
Awesome!

I'm itching to dive in but my recent time has been co-opted by the surprise drop of CMS21 (it's so g/d good).

Wealth of riches over here.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Tommorrow I will be officially moving out of my parents house (it's somewhat of a big house, but registered and built like 2 apartments) and moving into my own apartment in a new city for work, so I will be living on my own for the first time. Next is to find a girlfriend as Im not that interested in living alone for a long time. :p
Are you still in Norway? That's a big change!

fantomena dont couple up too fast, you have to learn and play the field first, enjoy your liberty!
Listen to this man.

xinek

日本語が苦手
Apr 17, 2019
Anyone play Risk of Rain 2? I just fired it up for the first time -- died to the first boss and then decided to try joining someone else's game since I had no idea what was going on. That was INSANITY -- several of us in the game, HUGE bosses, constant mass chaos for almost a couple of hours. When I finally quit, my eyes were all dried out. Recommended.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Tommorrow I will be officially moving out of my parents house (it's somewhat of a big house, but registered and built like 2 apartments) and moving into my own apartment in a new city for work, so I will be living on my own for the first time. Next is to find a girlfriend as Im not that interested in living alone for a long time. :p
stir-fries are your friend. I learned that when i first lived on my own. Also, the sleeping naked things works only if your room is the perfect temperature

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
All these games from Hyperstrange are meant to be announced at Realms Deep, right? It's strange (pun intended) that they jumped the gun before the event.

Reactions: lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I keep playing Garden Story and I'm still linking it, just beat the second boss and while the game has a laid back feel the combat is not something that you'll want to mash as the game has a stamina bar so timing your attacks to not miss is advisable.

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
Thought it was neat that Scarlet Nexus advertised the user score in the banner :blobnerd:

Damn, that reminds me of how when I was less than ten the French TV broadcasted Space Sheriff Gavan. Loved it. Then as they got out of episodes they followed it with the first 6-7 episodes of Sharivan.
Boy ! Was I not prepared for the tone change. I still recall the protag being trapped in a narrow corridor with fucking arms coming out of the walls.

I would rewatch that and educate myself on Kamen Rider if right holders weren’t that stupid. It’s not even a question of legality, the mere thought of finding these show in good quality is exhausting.
There's some BluRay rips with subs out there pretty easy to find, if you know where to look or know someone who does :peekphotoblob:

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Oh my god, people. Big brain moment for me. Tried getting into Momodora RutM a couple of times but found it too dang hard.
Turns out, I had somehow missed the bellflower mechanic each time (basically like estus flasks). No heckin wonder then.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Just watched this vid.....

Makes the game look like a lot of fun. I know lots of people think SC is a scam but im really hopeful they can pull it off eventually. If so it'll be an amazing game.
BedBananas is amazing. It bears mentioning that he did touch the footage in that he added sound effects where there are none but his prison escape movie is just pure gold.

As for people thinking SC is a scam, I don't know that there's any way to cure stupid. It's just Gamers™ and the game is speaking for itself, year after year.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That looks like it's coming together into a full game, but that doesn't mean it isn't a money sink. It can be both
It shouldn't be and I don't think it is, not the way you'd think.

Nobody needs anything more than the starter ship. Most people who buy ships do so to support the project and it's actually extremely wasteful in terms of value. You earn all of them in-game and ships are but the starting point to have fun doing what you actually want rather than the ships being the goals themselves.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
That looks like it's coming together into a full game, but that doesn't mean it isn't a money sink. It can be both
I think the game IS coming but I do think its also a kind of scam.
Specifically a scam where the idea is to maintain incoming money over as long a period of time as is possible while also slowly and deliberatly expanding the scope of the game so you never actually have to deliver a complete product and turn off the ongoing/endless money tap.

Some of us might have had jobs where at specific times and for specific reasons we think, "wow I could do this forever." I think for some of the Star Citizen leadership this is one of those jobs that you could do forever and also where you can also maintain control over incoming money.

Its either that or the leadership are all beyond useless at maintaing control over a project and need to GTFO.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
So Epic contracts are exploitative by this definition or i am reading something wrong?

There are quite numerous differences between Epic's agreement and this one, most important being the fact that you retain the rights of your product in all this process while the other transfers the rights to the holder company.

At the same time, you need to pay for development at certain point while Epic is not like that, in terms of 50/50, it is similar, yes.

If it's exploitative or not I won't discuss as I never had to sign a similar deal in my life.

In more positive news!

this comes in addition to Boyfriend Dungeon success too!

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Epic paying late is exploitative, but the advance payment is nothing special in the videogame industry and elsewhere.

That's also why I was worried about developers, because people clearly have no idea how contracts and money work. If you don't meet your numbers, Epic is not going to pay you a dollar more (and it actually makes sense, of course I assume they didn't expect 95% of their deals to end up like this)... and once you've burned through your advance, you are fucked.
I also hoped that Epic wouldn't actually have set terms in the contract about paying back the money given if numbers did not pan out as expected... but I guess they didn't (because again, people don't understand money nor know how to read a contract - I've seen that happen because sales would obviously be fine... until they weren't, and 0 current revenue also turned into debts to repay).

But I saw so many devs and players clamoring for "taking the money and making bank", while completely ignoring that a studio is a lot of upkeep and the next game ain't gonna be ready anytime soon.

And as said, Epic doesn't even take your rights away like 100% of the videogame industry since it ever existed. An EGS deal is still much better than anything in the last 40 years for everyone involved!

Welcome to capitalism, they have all the cards in hands and you can't do shit? That's how the world has worked for centuries.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Swenhir Wait that's actually how it is, that you can earn everything in game? If so I got pretty hyped!
Well, yeah! It's been that way since 3.0, 3 and a half years ago give or take iirc. You could fly them in Arena Commander before that with REC, a currency you earned with it as well. There is a caveat though : some ships are rare in-lore and not sold in shops (Vanduul Scythe for example) and overall ships added in a patch can be bought in-game only in the following patch. The prices in-game are pretty damn cheap though. Hercules is 5mil, for example.

kafiend there's not much I can say but as you disclosed, this is all pretty much your opinion. I can find no fact to back it up and I've followed this project since pretty much the start. I also personally applaud the ambition they have in trying to do things right. That's not for everyone, and I would never encourage anyone to back if they aren't okay with CIG's approach. Still, the roadmap points clearly to release being the goal, if only for Squadron 42.

Honestly this all is pretty depressing for me to read considering that every decision I've seen them make has been to try and do right by the backers and the project. They barely have any crunch, they value QA, they have a hugely positive culture from what we can see and they communicate both successes and failures in postmortems. They are pushing innovation when games have rarely been as stagnant and formulaic. They are trying while the AAA majors are just milking. The industry could learn a thing or two from them. Seeing them criticized on nothing more than hearsay and gamer consensus is disheartening.

Edit : in more uplifting news, this is a thing. I like that thing. I want that thing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.