Community MetaSteam | August 2021 - Openness Is Its Superpower

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
At that price, it would be a steal even if the sub only indluded access to a cloud gaming service: it is $15/y Stadia except you don't have to purchase games.
I thought it was a steal back then, these days the service just makes me angry. Problems with PC Game Pass and xCloud having awful latency. Console game pass works thanksfully.

I didn't get such a vibe. I don't think it's out of line to ask someone if they're not using Steam in the MetaSteam thread.
That's what I thought when I wrote it. Weird to be active in a Steam thread, but not using Steam.

Almost like "I thought this was the Steam thread".

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't know where you got the idea that I was not using Steam though.
You wrote you are using game pass now and will be back on Steam when your sub time is over. Might have been mistaken. But that's how I read this:

It is temporary: I pay 1€ for 3 months, and then wait for the next similar deal. So there is bound to be a period of time where I go back to Steam.

• Toucan
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Thank you for reminding me there will never be an aquaria 2... :crying-face:
Maybe after UFO 50 releases in 50 years.
Reminds me of the chuckles i've had lately when people were lamenting that game rental is not a thing anymore and i almost posted "What do you think GamePass is?", lol.
Gamepass games not working sounds just like the good old times when you'd rent a scratched disc

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
You guys really need to wait for the next build conference /s :p

And you can always look on the bright side. Microsoft incompetence in delivering a working store is a good part of the reason that the whole UWP and locking down the OS wasn't as much of threat as it could have been. Try to imagine a "world" where they didn't let Steam leapfrog them so much and delivered a good locked down experience. It's... not a nice thought.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I didn't get such a vibe. I don't think it's out of line to ask someone if they're not using Steam in the MetaSteam thread.
Can't say I agree personally, and we all know this is the main general thread on this site, non-Steam chat has never been discouraged whether it be game pass or gog or anime or whatever. And besides it's clear that Wok uses Steam; it's weird to now seemingly justify purchasing/playing habits.
But I've said my bit on this, I'm not saying more.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
You wrote you are using game pass now and will be back on Steam when your sub time is over. Might have been mistaken. But that's how I read this:
I see. I meant that:
  • I use more xCloud than Steam these days,
  • I try to hold off purchasing stuff in the meantime.
My Steam account still exists, with its gigantic backlog, which I occasionally use, e.g. to play Superliminal.
Plus, most games available on PC Game Pass are also available on Steam, which means we have a common interest when it comes to new releases.

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Last edited:

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
My Gamescom make-up is ready.
To be fair, last one is all up to you because there was no way in hell Sony was about to announce a PC port in such a big event xD
the rest of those? yup. U_U
Saint's Row is going to be moneyhatted right? =(

Shredder's Revenge and Marvel's XCOM are day 1 games.
Yes, deal was made at the same time as SR3 remaster, expect 12 months exclusive.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don't know where you got the idea that I was not using Steam though.

If that is because I mention xCloud too much, then I will tone it down.
Why ? Fantomena already spends 90% of his posts talking about Game Pass.

In all seriousness though, and I have to balance my way of phrasing it because this shit has annoyed me for a few days and I'm not in the healthiest mood. The day you enforce this gatekeeping bullshit and take this Steam purity test seriously is the day I'm out.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Use whatever goddamned client you want, so long as you find it acceptable and it does what you need it to do at a price that’s good. There are more important things to worry about, like when the hell is P5R is coming to PC?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Use whatever goddamned client you want, so long as you find it acceptable and it does what you need it to do at a price that’s good. There are more important things to worry about, like when the hell is P5R is coming to PC?
Feel like I read P5R PC being done months ago.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
So catching up on the announcements this evening.

TMNT Shredders Revenge is looking like a must have. Also love the addition of April O'Neal. Hope it plays as well as the old arcade game (or at least as I remember it playing).

Saints Row is not overly impressing me at the moment. If I buy will depend on the options in the character creator. Also not sold on the new gang members.

Lego Star Wars, well it has been a while since I played any of the lego games and I used to love them. May give this one a go.

DokeV looks kind of interesting but coming from the Black Desert Online devs has me worried. Is it going to be Grind Heavy or open those wallets like BDO.

And finally looking forward to the Valheim Update as well.

New Marvel game surprised me, being Midnight Sons. Used to love the comics they did for that series and always nice to see Ghost Rider get some love. While I would prefer Danny Ketch/Johnny Blaze (just love the bike riding Ghost Riders) I won't complain about Robby Rayes version. Just a shame there doesn't appear to be the Punisher in there at the moment.

Will be interesting to see what tomorrows Announcements bring.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

They gonna sell these in a store in Cologne tomorrow. One per person. Regular retail price, nothing on top. Don't need one but still would drive there and partake in the brawl if it weren't too far away.

LET PEOPLE ENJOY WHATEVER PLATFORM THEY LIKE, FFS.
Fuck that hippie noise, if I see someone in here enjoying Stadia there'll be a clobbering. We gotta draw the line somewhere. :blobxorcism:

Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Also hype af for Marvel xcom
Yeah, I totally bagged on the MCU element of Marvel XCOM a couple posts ago.

But I just watched the trailer and it was kinda badass.

Guess I've been so fatigued with Hollywood MCU over the past decade that it's bled over to gaming side.

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Yeah, I totally bagged on the MCU element of Marvel XCOM a couple posts ago.

But I just watched the trailer and it was kinda badass.

Guess I've been so fatigued with Hollywood MCU over the past decade that it's bled over to gaming side.
Wasn't the info for this that it's not really XCOM-like at all?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
Midnight Suns feels likes Freedom Force sans self-awareness. Heroes finally got its video game adaptation.

Reactions: lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I generally agree with the sentiment that XCloud is not PC gaming. Same for Playstation Now, Amazon Luna, and Google Stadia.
None of them do any of the things that define PC gaming and make it distinct from console gaming. If it was, then you could make an argument that me playing PS3 games through a capture card in 2007 would also have been "PC gaming".

That doesn't make it "wrong", but more fitting for the console thread than the Steam thread IMHO.

(Side note: personally I'd say rent-remote-hardware stuff like Shadow is PC gaming, or at least PC-gaming-adjacent; Geforce Now is a bit borderline after they reduced its flexibility)

You may as well start a new "Fantomena Hates Game Pass" thread and write a bot to post the same post every day in it because Microsoft haven't fixed anything since GFWL and i don't think they're going to start now. I suspect the windows 11 Store is the same old crap underneath but with a different UI.

Keep polishing that turd, ms.
From my perspective, GFWL was actually better in most ways.

GFWL games were just Win32 games with an annoying online system (but one that actually worked while MS was supporting it). When it was around -- and of course, after they gave up on making people pay a monthly fee on PC (which they are now achieving) -- it wasn't actually that bad. It also had working achievements at its release more than a decade ago (hear that Tim?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.