Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
There I was on Steam, looking to buy a game I'll never play, and lashman pull me back to the steam community.

OnT: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy on PC, did they do a good job with the port?
Dundeeeeeeer! :D

and yeah, they did :) runs and plays great!

Reactions: Kurt Russell

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Hello, councillors! I haven't posted much since Christmas, in my defence, I was finishing DQ XI. Such a great game, I enjoyed every minute of it.

On second thought, no. I dislike the jackpot quest because I spent almost 3 hours on that quest alone. If I were to replay DQ XI again, I'll probably use cheat engine or some such to do that quest.

Anyway, I need a short game, so my next game currently in progress is Kara no Shoujo.

This game is a VN set in the post-ww2 Japan. The protagonist is a detective tasked into solving a series of murders targeting young women. The mechanics are rather simple, you go around into various locations gathering evidence and interviewing people, and pin a suspect based on the statements gathered. It's also simple to fall into a red herring trap if you choose the wrong person as a suspect.

With such a dark subject matter, the game also contains R18+ scenes. Before you all get up in arms about it, it's not designed to titillate and integrated into the story quite well. Another thing which some may find not palatable is that the game contains cruelty against women. There's no real animation of these scenes, however, at a certain interval in the game, the POV shifted to that of the killer and some can find the depiction is hard to read/watch.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for a good detective story, and I find the game really interesting. I might create an LTTP thread later with my full impressions.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Kara no Shoujo has nothing on Chaos;Child, despite the latter only having M rating.
Seriously, if you enjoy the former, do try the later as well.
It's in English on PS4 and Vita, and there's a patch bringing that translation (alongside countless fixes) to PC.
I mean, the game starts with a scene where a Youtube streamer cuts his own hand and eats it on camera

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm hoping Mangagamer will bring Kara episode 2 over to Steam as well.

Also TIL from my discovery queue that Kogado Studio has a few VNs on Steam: Steam Search

They should bring out Power Dolls 1/2/3 too! I know I'll buy those in a heartbeat.

Reactions: lashman

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I'm hoping Mangagamer will bring Kara episode 2 over to Steam as well.

Also TIL from my discovery queue that Kogado Studio has a few VNs on Steam: Steam Search
I was on the fence with buying Nurse Love Addiction, but the Psychological Horror tag won me over.
(Can't have good yuri without some psychological horror)

Reactions: lashman and Kvik

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
zzzz.

Call me @Hanchirasu, Phantom, Kikougai, and Muramasa.

Westerners mostly know Nitro+ for the "Science Adventure" series and it's okay, but not really their best. (Imo, of course.)
Lol @ Muramasa.
Epic Game Launcher has a higher chance of driving Steam to bankruptcy than Muramasa releasing in English.
(Also, Nitro+ only did Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head, everything else from Science series was done exclusively by 5pb's internal studios)

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
Does anyone have any first-hand impressions for Fate Hunters?
It's a deck-building roguelike (yeah, kinda flavor of the moment but I LOVED Slay the Spire, so I'll take more) that has art similar to Darkest Dungeon. It's only 25% off, so, you know, HOLD and all that. Just checking to see if anyone has jumped in.

cosmicblizzard

Dec 2, 2018
I was on the fence with buying Nurse Love Addiction, but the Psychological Horror tag won me over.
(Can't have good yuri without some psychological horror)
Is that tag legit though? I've seen random VNs that definitely aren't psychological horror with the tag like some Sakura games.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Lol @ Muramasa.
Epic Game Launcher has a higher chance of driving Steam to bankruptcy than Muramasa releasing in English.
(Also, Nitro+ only did Steins;Gate and Chaos;Head, everything else from Science series was done exclusively by 5pb's internal studios)
You'll find Nitro+ staff in the credits for for every S;G and Chaos;head game up to C;C and S;G 0. Robotics;Notes as well. But maybe that's just semantics to you.

They say the TL rights to Muramasa are owned by JAST and that they've been working on it for years before the main TL just burned out and it was indefinitely placed on the back burner. It's really hard to read muramasa even for some Japanese, the very detailed sword fighting uses tons of old Kanji/borderline chinese bullshit. And as the game goes on it just gets worse and worse. It's really freaking long.

I've burned out trying to read it myself, twice. Even with a Kanji dictionary in my lap it's a chore.

So it's a pipe-dream I guess. Or whatever that expression is.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
There I was on Steam, looking to buy a game I'll never play, and lashman pull me back to the steam community.

OnT: Crash Bandicoot Trilogy on PC, did they do a good job with the port?
Me and many others had problems getting 60+ fps in the game, but it might have to do with refresh rate on your screen. With 144hz it locked to 48fps but you can change it to 60 if you follow a guide either on PCGamingWiki or Steam (thank god for those!).

Deleted member 113

The Steam library still finds ways to surprise me. :p
I was searching for "classic", 2D beat'em ups on Steam, since I'm a fan of the genre. I own most of the titles in the genre available on Steam, so I was looking through smaller indie games, and I found 2 very batshit crazy games from the same developer, that use digitized actors.

The second one is very NSFW:

Was I the only one unaware that there was a beat'em up full of naked strippers fighting an alien menace?! :unsure:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Just wanna post some random numbers re:discoverability:

[...]

So what's my point?
I don't actually have one!
Doesn't seem to me like any of these numbers inherently correlate to each other.

Discoverability certainly isn't an issue for Obra Dinn, yet it seems to fail at translating it into sales, arguably people are just not interested in it despite its supposed quality (I know i'm not because of the art-style) or people just don't wanna buy it at launch.

Battletech had by far the most clicks on youtube, yet the lowest twitch peak of them all.

Average amount of reviews seems to be the same accross all games, only Obra Dinn, the most recent one sticks out,

The two games with the lowest metacritic/opencritic sold the most copies of these 4 examples.

Frostpunks sales are leagues above the other games, even though it's twitch and youtube numbers aren't.
It sounds like a cop-out answer, but I think if anything that little experiment shows that there is such a thing as the inherent appeal of a game concept (and probably presentation) as a product for people to buy, and it doesn't necessarily correlate with viewing it, or even appreciating it as a quality work.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
I think at a less abstract level, that list of games also kind of makes sense just in terms of what the games are.

Obra Dinn is (from what I've been told!) a well crafted, narrative, artistic game. It makes sense that it would do extremely well in GOTY discussions, but tend to do poorer in terms of having edited video content created outside of video essay/analyses. From what I understand there's either two or three endings, so once you've watched a playthrough (likely on Twitch or YouTube), you're probably not going to go looking for more content

Whereas conversely, the other three games are either turn-based strategy or city-building strategy, which are types of games that typically have much less GOTY cachet and familiarity outside of enthusiast circles (i.e., why you will typically see Civilization on mainstream GOTY lists in whatever year it came out, even if there were better 4X games because mainstream press don't play the genre heavily). And those games have a level of unpredictability and replayability (and duh, strategy) that a narrative game won't. Which lends itself to lots of created content, such as playthroughs, playthroughs with goofy self-imposed limits, playthroughs with mods, and tons of strategy guides. And because playthroughs are long, maybe you get lower peaks but longer tails in viewership.

BattleTech getting the most views of the three makes sense, it's a legacy IP with tons of fans who probably came across the trailers and videos via their fandom circles. Just because they like the IP doesn't mean they'll actually buy the game at full-price, but they'll probably consume any trailer related to BattleTech

I think the slightly more interesting thing is why each of those three strategy games performed so differently. Did Into the Breach get overshadowed among strategy fans because it released around the time that Civ 6: Rise and Fall and Northgard came out? Were other indie hits like Celeste and Subnautica from the month before hiding their release? Was it poor marketing and use of the FTL name?

Why did Frostpunk in April still do well, even when launching on literally the same day as BattleTech, a game with a far bigger legacy name to pull from? Was the calendar more clear of related game release? Was the civic calendar, including things like Spring Break for American students an impact on the release? Did the buggy/crashy state of BattleTech and the "social issue" discussions really hamper its release that much? Was a post-apocalyptic citybuilder just that much more attractive of a concept than a mech game? Did some particularly notable streamer give it eyes via a playthrough on Twitch/YouTube?

I think the problem with discussions about discoverability end up being that there are so many factors to consider that it gets really gnarly trying to discern what hurt a game or helped it in its sales.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
What is a good alternative to the huawei echo life hg8245h? I feel as if the device is not using our fibre optic connection properly.

Lain

serial experiments
Sep 20, 2018
no ... i just like everyone ;)
At least you don't lick everyone. Now that would be strange. And I'm sure it would also be arousing for some.

As an unashamed Re:Legend shill, let me tell you all, in case you missed it, that us backers will get access to the alpha on Febraury 9. The game is getting closer and closer!
We are thrilled to announce that the closed alpha will officially launch on 9th February 2019. The Kickstarter backers with beta access will be able to test out the alpha on that day and we will be sending out the keys/codes very soon. The closed alpha will be only available on PC (Steam) so please make sure your PC is ready for the game!
Oh, and look, they also revealed a new NPC, Yuri the Witch

To celebrate the alpha date announcement, we would want to introduce a new recruitable NPC, Yuri, the Witch.

Deep within the shadows of the forest, there lives an elusive individual. A Witch with the power to bend the Will of Nature. There are not many that have the privilege to set eyes upon the Witch but those who do never seem to return the same.

The witch commands mysterious magics, infusing it into the mundane, and unleashing it upon unfortunate foes. The runestones are Gifts of great power, allowing it’s user to wield the arcane with ease.

The next time you travel into the forest, make sure to check behind the trees and over your shoulder. You may be the lucky one, to perhaps learn the Witch’s magic, or one of the many, many secrets…
Post automatically merged:

Seems like we started steaming on the same day, although in different years. I started in 2011 when I bought my new PC. To think this i5-2500k would hold up for so long.

Last edited:

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
At least you don't lick everyone. Now that would be strange. And I'm sure it would also be arousing for some.

As an unashamed Re:Legend shill, let me tell you all, in case you missed it, that us backers will get access to the alpha on Febraury 9. The game is getting closer and closer!...
Haven't heard of Re:Legend before but this totally looks like my jam and game I could play with people that don't like the more involving shooter co-op games, definitely keeping my eye on this one now.

Reactions: Lain and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Hektor the good thing is that all these games sold well despite most of them, if not all of them, being pretty niche. An interesting common thread is that all of these developers preferred to create new games instead of going for sequels to their successful previous products.
I think making sequels isn't actually that "risk-free", especially in the indie space.
In theory you get an inbuilt audience, but there's other stuff to keep in mind too:
There will be people who are satisfied with 1 game. Maybe because they just liked it, but didn't love it. Maybe they really are just satified with experiencing this type of game once. Maybe they didn't like it.
There will be people who aren't interested in a sequel because they haven't played the first game yet. Maybe they are interested in the series and want to start from the beginning, but haven't bought the first game yet. Or they start from the beginning because the first game is simply cheaper. Maybe they already have the first game from a giveaway or a bundle and aren't going to be interested in a sequel before they even played. (That's me with Banner Saga for example, I've owned the game for a while now but haven't played it yet, so #2 and #3 aren't even on my radar).
And if your game is a direct sequel, you automatically limit your audience to those who completed the previous game, and we all know that completion rates of games tend to be in the 20-30% range. Direct Sequels are getting rarer and rarer though, devs in general try to make every game approachable on its own, probably precisely because of that.

That doesn't mean that "new game" > "sequel", both approaches have their pros and cons and it probably depends on the game, the dev and a myriad of factors beside that.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
That sad moment when your bank emails you saying you have insufficient fund for humble monthly.XD

Also, why can't I why Valve Complete Bundle? It is 0€ for me since I have all but the VR free game but I still can't get it?

edit: I could just get the free game and then it shows I own Valve Complete Bundle. Should make getting games cheaper in the future if it's part of the bundle right?

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think making sequels isn't actually that "risk-free", especially in the indie space.
In theory you get an inbuilt audience, but there's other stuff to keep in mind too:
There will be people who are satisfied with 1 game. Maybe because they just liked it, but didn't love it. Maybe they really are just satified with experiencing this type of game once. Maybe they didn't like it.
There will be people who aren't interested in a sequel because they haven't played the first game yet. Maybe they are interested in the series and want to start from the beginning, but haven't bought the first game yet. Or they start from the beginning because the first game is simply cheaper. Maybe they already have the first game from a giveaway or a bundle and aren't going to be interested in a sequel before they even played. (That's me with Banner Saga for example, I've owned the game for a while now but haven't played it yet, so #2 and #3 aren't even on my radar).
And if your game is a direct sequel, you automatically limit your audience to those who completed the previous game, and we all know that completion rates of games tend to be in the 20-30% range. Direct Sequels are getting rarer and rarer though, devs in general try to make every game approachable on its own, probably precisely because of that.

That doesn't mean that "new game" > "sequel", both approaches have their pros and cons and it probably depends on the game, the dev and a myriad of factors beside that.
Absolutely!

I mean, of course when you get to huge indie successes then doing a sequel is probably at least going to pay for itself, but I don't think it's unlikely at all that your sequel is not going to do quite as well as the initial game, especially in terms of raw sale numbers.
That said, if your game is not just popular but also in the right genre (i.e. with a defined "end" and limited content to experience) you can most likely do well with a sequel. Doubly so if your game gained popularity over time in sales, since even if you get fewer sales overall they are most likely to be at significantly higher price points on average. Still, it's probably a good idea to check e.g. your achievement stats and look at how many people actually completed your previous game, or at least got close.

All of these concerns apply equally to non-indies though, especially in the B-AA space of games. E.g. I think it was a very good choice for Piranha Bytes to make Elex rather than Risen 4. Massive-budget games with a huge marketing budget that can build up releases as "events" are probably different though.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I'm pleasantly surprised that Subnautica is tied forever to my account on the Epic Store. I thought it would just be free for two weeks.

It is like a free Humble Monthly subscription with 2 games per month.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
I'm in a mood :mad:
I had 8 items in my steam cart and today they've gone and i honestly can't remember what most of them were as they were interesting titles i'd added while browsing. Grrrrr.

That's at least £8.50 you'll not be getting from me today, Gabe!

Reactions: Stevey and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.