Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
RAGE 2 looks to be getting Epic by releasing on the Bethesda launcher.

/yawn

EDIT: I thought this would be added to my above post. Sorry.
no need to apologize :p auto-merge is currently set to 1h :)

Deleted member 113

They are really going all in.

I just received an email from tinyBuild, and their new game, Hello Neighbor: Hide and Seek, which was previously announced for Steam, just launched... on Epic's store. :unsure:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Hopefully Valve will resist the urge to get into a moneyhat fight with these idiots.

Reactions: lashman

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
Next Humble monthly was leaked early, still got 10 minutes if you want in.

Besides the early unlocks they got: Neurovoider, Seven Days Gone, Megaman Collection, Zombie Nazi, Purrrfect Date, Project Redneck

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hopefully Valve will resist the urge to get into a moneyhat fight with these idiots.
i really fucking hope so .... that would only make things SO MUCH worse than they already are .... i really hope they won't do it

Reactions: Alexandros

Deleted member 113

Non-ironically, this will be a great way to save a few €.
I'm one of those guys who likes to support those who treat me well as a customer, the same way I have no problem, at all, skipping on buying something because of whatever reason, be it an album from one of my favourite bands, or a sequel to a game I really like, for example.

More than some sort of "allegiance" to Valve, I have no desire to support Epic in any way. And I say this as someone who owned pretty much all their games, up to a point.
A developer who abandoned the PC as a platform for their games, a developer who actively worked to paint a picture of the PC as a non-viable platform, ridden with piracy.
These recent developments just further sealed the deal. These last minute exclusives, with games announced, promoted, and at the last limited removed from other stores. Or things like having that Steam Spy guy constantly bad-mouthing Valve all this time, while obtaining data (and receiving additional funds from patreon in the process) to essentially pass them on to Epic, so they could prepare their own platform. Or that whole recent campaign a few days ago, with some indie developers, who already had contracts signed with Epic, starting that whole thing about being robbed by Valve because of their 30% cut, while already having committed to have their games as exclusive, or timed-exclusive, to the Epic Games store.

These developers and publishers, who apparently think that I, as a customer, shouldn't have a choice about which stores I can buy from, and which platforms I can use, will received their hard earned 88% of nothing, instead of being robbed by Valve, Humble, GMG, Voidu, Gamesplanet, and more, not to mention by Valve's "highly abusive" practice of having fair prices to countries with lower incomes.

Team 17, tinyBuild, Annapurna Interactive, and more, are now on my "list" of publishers that will received their hard-earned, indie-friendly, 88% of a no purchase from me.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Steam's current library is good enough to last me a lifetime, and it's not like new games will stop coming, so for me it has always been and still is easy to ignore everything that's exclusive to some other launcher. Though ignore might be a bit of a stong word here, it's more like... 'forget', or perhaps "don't even notice".
I don't need things to be exclusive to Steam, I just want it to be an option. Not because I'm a blind fanboy, but because Steam simply is the most convenient and feature reach client out there, by a longshot.

Deleted member 113

They had plenty of "pearls" during that time.

To quote a post from InquisitorAles on Steam:

Consoles have outpaced PC, says Epic man - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/consoles-have-outpaced-pc-says-epic-man
Epic focusing on console titles, PC gaming in "disarray", says Cliffy B - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/epic-focusing-on-console-titles
Bulletstorm Probably Won't Get a Sequel, PC Pirates Blamed for Poor Sales - https://kotaku.com/5900519/bulletstorm-probably-wont-get-a-sequel-pc-pirates-blamed-for-poor-sales

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Can anyone compile a list of indie devs that support anti-consumer practices Fortnite Store represent?
I want to vote with my wallet. I don't want to give even a cent of my money to devs who think they can fuck us over.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I'm all for choice. But I do not trust Epic or Bethesda platforms at all and buying exclusivity is just bad for customers.
It's great that Steam has had real competition lately (like Origin), but this isn't it.

Epic has still announced zero pro consumer features and it tells a lot.

Even EU gets shafted a lot, Valve finally added proper regional prices for EU this year (although still very rarely used and unlikely to see wide adoption).
That is 1:1 currency conversion rate, which is very fair. Epic prices everything $1 = 1€.

I wouldn't be surprised if this move increased piracy. No regional pricing, no regional payment methods. Third party countries for sure ain't gonna buy those legit full price. (Seems they think discounts are bad, so don't expect anything major in reasonable timeframe).

Can anyone compile a list of indie devs that support anti-consumer practices Fortnite Store represent?
I want to vote with my wallet. I don't want to give even a cent of my money to devs who think they can fuck us over.
tinyBuild, Annapurna, Team 17 at least (that is moving already announced for Steam games to Epic Store exclusivity).

Deleted member 113

I'm sure I'm missing a few, since I'm still catching up with all the announcements, but here's the ones that I know of:

-Team 17
-tinyBuild
-Annapurna Interactive
-Coffee Stain Studios
-Supergiant Games
-Giant Squid
-Thatgamecompany

I have also been using the Steam tag "Epic Games store" to tag the games that are still listed on Steam, and whose launch was delayed at the last moment, to either become exclusive, or timed exclusive, to Epic's store. Hopefully, if someone else uses that tag, it may start appearing on the list of tags, for easier identification.

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
What resolution do you all play on?

I've gone from 4K (consoles) back to a 1080P monitor and it's rough. ;)

I don't see myself trying to set up my PC with a TV due to the size and desire to play at a desk.

1440P is not in the budget for a good while, so I may be forced to enjoy 1080P.

Deleted member 113

I don't see myself trying to set up my PC with a TV due to the size and desire to play at a desk.

You think that's bad?
My monitor has a maximum resolution of... 1680x1050. :p

Even my PC at work has a better monitor.
I really have to buy a new one one of these days.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Wow, I don't check up on gaming news a day and the world is already going down :LOL:

Hm, Rage 2 not on Steam. Not sure it's strong enough to carry the transition to BethLauncher tbh. Always imagined Doom Eternal or next Elder Scrolls to be the game. Guess Bethesda was banking on F76 to get people accustomed.

I don't like it but with indie devs like the folks behind Ashen I can understand why they would do a timed-exclusivity deal. Small indie devs don't really have a safety net, so I hope they at least got a great deal from Epic.
No doubt it's timed.

Nappael

MetaMember
Nov 16, 2018
Did anyone give a try yet?
Reviews are positive and it looks so damn good. Though I probably wouldn't get it until it's out of EA.
But I'm seriously tempted, lol.
I've been aware of this game for years, and every time I think "this is clearly way too ambitious for such a small group on a low budget" yet somehow it still keeps going.

I've also been considering picking it up recently.

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I was minutes away from canceling my Origin Access sub, but they went and announced Dragon Age 4 and I have no idea what is going on in the teaser. That is despite playing 1-3, but it looks like I missed some important story stuff from the DLC....

Now I'm on the fence about canceling or picking up the Dragon Age Stuff (DLC included) and giving that another run through... some day lol.

The only reason I currently subscribe to EA access is BFV which almost a month later and I'm still not really happy with and live-service aspect has been a shitshow. I feel like I was much happier when R6 Siege was the game I used to scratch my multiplayer itch. I thought maybe Anthem could be a reason to stay subscribed as well, but I think Ubisoft's Division 2 will be the better looter shooter for me. (Really liked the first Division, even solo.)

Plus you know Ubisoft games actually play nice with Steam, have trading cards, and if AC Odyssey is any indication they're bringing back Steam achievements to Ubi games.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

I have a 1440p Gsync monitor and it's one of my best investment in gaming yet. Yes, it's expensive. Yes, it's locking you into Nvidia's ecosystem and yes, getting one is practically an LCD panel lottery, however, it's very damn worth it. Not only you're saying goodbye to screen tearing, but it also makes inconsistent frame times tolerable (although it's definitely not a substitute for consistent frame times)

I heartily recommend getting one should the opportunity present itself. :)

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
Noooo way!
LiS2? You, sir or madam, are a man or woman of taste.

I play in 1080p and I like it. It'd be nice to try 4K, but my monitor doesn't go farther than 1080p, and it might be too demanding for my PC anyway. As for the refresh rate, it's only 60 Hz.

Last edited:

OSatan

OFather OSun
Finally giving the free Destiny 2 a try and damn the launcher does download and then decrypt. If you pause and resume it has to decrypt and then continue the download, in a 80 gig game that is madness.

I will never say anything bad about steam overwriting your download if a patch is issued while your are downloading, that is way more manageable

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Finally giving the free Destiny 2 a try and damn the launcher does download and then decrypt. If you pause and resume it has to decrypt and then continue the download, in a 80 gig game that is madness.

I will never say anything bad about steam overwriting your download if a patch is issued while your are downloading, that is way more manageable
the only REALLY annoying thing about steam (when it comes to downloading stuff) are pre-loads and the fact that you still need 2x the amount of HDD space to decrypt them (yes, even after they "fixed" it a few years back .... it barely changed anything) ... and the fact that it takes FOREVER to decrypt, especially now that games are 50GB+

OSatan

OFather OSun
the only REALLY annoying thing about steam (when it comes to downloading stuff) are pre-loads and the fact that you still need 2x the amount of HDD space to decrypt them (yes, even after they "fixed" it a few years back .... it barely changed anything) ... and the fact that it takes FOREVER to decrypt, especially now that games are 50GB+
When the devs on top of that encrypt their install, I have some crawl to like 1 year time remaining in the graph ;_;

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
When the devs on top of that encrypt their install, I have some crawl to like 1 year time remaining in the graph ;_;
all pre-loads are encrypted by default ;) but yeah - it takes forever to decrypt that stuff .... sometimes it's genuinely faster to just wait until the game is released and download it

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Good thing I got tons to play and don't need to buy those games.
same ... i was actually really excited for Rage 2 ... but no amount of excitement or hype will make me use yet another shitty launcher

DriftedPlanet

Ash, I think something was in those sandwiches
Oct 27, 2018
Anyone else played Space Sims?
Idk if it counts but my buddy had me play FTL, for the first time, last Sunday and on Wednesday. I've never played it before and the combat mechanics have been great so far. Currently a fan of laser and beam weapons.
Post automatically merged:

Non-ironically, this will be a great way to save a few €.
I'm one of those guys who likes to support those who treat me well as a customer, the same way I have no problem, at all, skipping on buying something because of whatever reason, be it an album from one of my favourite bands, or a sequel to a game I really like, for example.

More than some sort of "allegiance" to Valve, I have no desire to support Epic in any way. And I say this as someone who owned pretty much all their games, up to a point.
A developer who abandoned the PC as a platform for their games, a developer who actively worked to paint a picture of the PC as a non-viable platform, ridden with piracy.
These recent developments just further sealed the deal. These last minute exclusives, with games announced, promoted, and at the last limited removed from other stores. Or things like having that Steam Spy guy constantly bad-mouthing Valve all this time, while obtaining data (and receiving additional funds from patreon in the process) to essentially pass them on to Epic, so they could prepare their own platform. Or that whole recent campaign a few days ago, with some indie developers, who already had contracts signed with Epic, starting that whole thing about being robbed by Valve because of their 30% cut, while already having committed to have their games as exclusive, or timed-exclusive, to the Epic Games store.

These developers and publishers, who apparently think that I, as a customer, shouldn't have a choice about which stores I can buy from, and which platforms I can use, will received their hard earned 88% of nothing, instead of being robbed by Valve, Humble, GMG, Voidu, Gamesplanet, and more, not to mention by Valve's "highly abusive" practice of having fair prices to countries with lower incomes.

Team 17, tinyBuild, Annapurna Interactive, and more, are now on my "list" of publishers that will received their hard-earned, indie-friendly, 88% of a no purchase from me.
Preach. Unless an exclusive is the only way a game will get made, exclusives aren't needed. Even less so when we're talking about glorified launchers. Devs can do what they choose to but consumers don't have an obligation to follow them to a different storefront.
Post automatically merged:

I'm sure I'm missing a few, since I'm still catching up with all the announcements, but here's the ones that I know of:

-Team 17
-tinyBuild
-Annapurna Interactive
-Coffee Stain Studios
-Supergiant Games
-Giant Squid
-Thatgamecompany
Nooo! Damn. I really really hope Epic will add consumer protections to their tos and launcher. Optimistic maybe, but I can hope.

1080p locked at 120hz or 144hz, depending on the game. The only game that has forced 1080p locked at 60 has been Monster Hunter World. Everything else tends to be pretty smooth. Gotta try gsync though.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Currently doing the 2019 Highlight thread and just wanted to point out how there'll be the inclusion of Magic the Gathering Arena.
The game now is in Beta so anyone can play it, however as the full proper release is expected as early as 2019, it gets a spot same way an early access game.

Epic Store games will also be featured, regardless of my stance on their exclusivity. When making these threads I must not inject my biased opinions and give any game its fair share if it's a title that I feel more people should know about.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Currently doing the 2019 Highlight thread and just wanted to point out how there'll be the inclusion of Magic the Gathering Arena.
The game now is in Beta so anyone can play it, however as the full proper release is expected as early as 2019, it gets a spot same way an early access game.

Epic Store games will also be featured, regardless of my stance on their exclusivity. When making these threads I must not inject my biased opinions and give any game its fair share if it's a title that I feel more people should know about.
sounds good to me :)

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Here are so far the list of games that were announced for release in 2019 btw. New for a few, I'm going off what little info we got so at best there is just said games being 'announced' for release on PC, but without giving much info. If you feel I should update something about these links let me know.
looks good to me ... can't see any obvious omissions

(y)

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Fine fine, here's a quick early look at 2019 titles releasing. These images link to either a YT video, official website or a news site containing details of the game's release

I'd like to double like this for using totes adorbs Aardman gif~
Dang, got excited and thought these were the usual steam pages you link to. Gosh, 2019 looks exciting as heck.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Once the thread is up I'll mention who made those banners. I don't think they're on MC but they will be mentioned.

EDIT: So about Genesis Alpha One

Genesis Alpha One :: Genesis Alpha One – Release Update
You might be wondering what this announcement means for Steam users and we will be able to update you in the near future but we can confirm that Genesis Alpha One will not be launching on Steam on January 29th 2019. We understand that this will be frustrating to some of you who have supported the game since it was revealed, and we are extremely thankful for all your suggestions and feedback.
Now that's a dick move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.