Community MetaSteam | December 2018 - We got 99 problems, but 76 ain't one

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
So you are the guy some Japanese companies hire to take screenshots of their games.

Screenshots for ants.
Surely the upside to this situation is that you can turn all the graphics settings to ultra at least?
you're joking, but i actually play all games in windowed mode at 1600x900 ... no, really :)

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will the an exclusive to the Epic Store for 12 months. Fuck. Them.
gotta love that competition

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
ATOM RPG is leaving early access this month.
I backed the game on Kickstarter, and the earlier versions I played were very enjoyable (and reception on Steam has been equally positive), so fans of the classic Fallout games may want to give this one a look.

I swear I've heard of Atom before but it wasn't on my wishlist. Thanks! I think I'll grab it shortly - I've been considering replaying FO2 (again) but might be more fun to try a new thing like it :p

Edit: Wow Trepang2 looks fantastic

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I have a bit of Paranoia in the back of my mind telling me to buy all the VN's in my wishlist like immediately. This is due to Valve kicking off anime/VN games at the moment, but once more, refusing to comment on why specifically and ignoring the fact that some of these games are ALL AGES versions where the sex stuff is removed.

Urgh.

Reactions: lashman

Deleted member 113

I'm sure I'm missing a few, since I'm still catching up with all the announcements, but here's the ones that I know of:

-Team 17
-tinyBuild
-Annapurna Interactive
-Coffee Stain Studios
-Supergiant Games
-Giant Squid
-Thatgamecompany
To add to my previous list, here are a few more developers who confirmed Epic Store exclusives, or temporary exclusives:

-Double Damage Games
-Team Meat

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Unknown Worlds Entertainment seems one option too, as Subnautica is one of giveaways, so Subnautica Below Zero could be exclusive

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
I'm so hyped for Digimon Survive. Finally a Digimon game that is on PC (yeah I know there's the MMO).
Hopefully this means Bamco will start porting their back-catalogue of the series, like they did with the SAO games.
I want the Cyber Sleuth games dammit.
yeah, it was supposed to be in early access - i know because i followed it (i always follow early access games when i add them to my wishlist) ... not anymore

i sooooo hope that's the case ... i really do!
Cyber Sleuth games I really enjoyed on PS4. There is another one on PS4 I have yet to launch. Never heard of the one coming to PC.

As far as screen resolution despite having a 4K screen usually I go with 1080p , I value performance, and quiet fans. I grew up playing DOS games so everything looks fantastic to me lol.

Deleted member 113

Now that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has turned into a no purchase, can anyone let me know how's Everspace?
The Ultimate Edition is currently on sale at Chrono.gg

nofuckinidea

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I mean I could understand if they take the money and give Epic a headstart of a few weeks before they release their game on Steam/GOG etc, Still shady but I can live with that. But 12 f***ing months exclusivity? Fuck that! We need to overthink the term "indie" for those cases.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I have a bit of Paranoia in the back of my mind telling me to buy all the VN's in my wishlist like immediately. This is due to Valve kicking off anime/VN games at the moment, but once more, refusing to comment on why specifically and ignoring the fact that some of these games are ALL AGES versions where the sex stuff is removed.

Urgh.
What are they arbitrarily(?) removing this time? I remember Knurek mentioning one game.
I hoped stuff like this was finally over after their new adult policies, but alas.
See, this is a legitimate complaint about Valve. Their unclear forwards/backwards wobbling with those games is super annoying.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
What are they arbitrarily(?) removing this time? I remember Knurek mentioning one game.
I hoped stuff like this was finally over after their new adult policies, but alas.
See, this is a legitimate complaint about Valve. Their unclear forwards/backwards wobbling with those games is super annoying.
Games that are deemed to exploit children (or children like) characters as example, basically cases where they rely on written text "characters are over 18".

Imolicious Reportedly Banned From Steam For Allegedly Exploiting Children

(This was also refused by nutaku)

Doesn't seem much of value was lost. Don't know about others tho.

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
I really want to buy and play Stellaris, but I’ve never played a game like it and I’m super intimidated.
Post automatically merged:

Oh, I sold a bunch for Xbox One games. I now have $197 in my Steam Wallet for the “Sale.” I didn’t expect that! Most will be saved for 2019 releases.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
It's fine if they're going after games that are actually sexual in nature, and featuring child like characters. But even the article above mentions a game that got booted despite being rated T for teen by the ESRB, and do you really think the ESRB is gonna let AO stuff get by?

As previously mentioned there are also All Age VN's in the crossfire. I could understand not allowing the Adult content patches, but why you gotta ban the game wholesale? It's just really annoying that everytime this happens Valve doesn't mention why, and there's just rampant mystery and speculation as to why. Makes me paranoid that legit great VN's with no sexual content could be next.

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
Now that Rebel Galaxy Outlaw has turned into a no purchase, can anyone let me know how's Everspace?
The Ultimate Edition is currently on sale at Chrono.gg
I really liked Everspace. Do note that it's a roguelike (I know that genre is not for all people). If you don't have an issue with that and like space shooters, it's an amazing game.

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
Valve won't mention why, but I bet certain partners were concerned. I still think their public announcement about changing their share with games that sell more was targeted to big partners who may not be communicating with them still. Like when the ex stops replying so someone makes that awkward social media post hoping they see or someone they know sees...

Deleted member 113

I really liked Everspace. Do note that it's a roguelike (I know that genre is not for all people). If you don't have an issue with that and like space shooters, it's an amazing game.
Thanks. (y)

I think I'll give it a try. The current sale price is pretty good, considering it includes all the DLCs, and it's doubtful that the upcoming Steam winter sale price will be lower.

OSatan

OFather OSun
Valve won't mention why, but I bet certain partners were concerned. I still think their public announcement about changing their share with games that sell more was targeted to big partners who may not be communicating with them still. Like when the ex stops replying so someone makes that awkward social media post hoping they see or someone they know sees...
In my mind it is because RDR2 maybe 2k in general (borderlands and civ are huge evergreens)

Ubisoft made the decision to split their games with data backing them, I don't thing they would change it now and go nuclear.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
It's fine if they're going after games that are actually sexual in nature, and featuring child like characters. But even the article above mentions a game that got booted despite being rated T for teen by the ESRB, and do you really think the ESRB is gonna let AO stuff get by?

As previously mentioned there are also All Age VN's in the crossfire. I could understand not allowing the Adult content patches, but why you gotta ban the game wholesale? It's just really annoying that everytime this happens Valve doesn't mention why, and there's just rampant mystery and speculation as to why. Makes me paranoid that legit great VN's with no sexual content could be next.
I think it's due to the fact that Valve doesn't usually monitor patches, correct? There's no Steam validation for patches like Xbox / PS4 has, so even if it's the "safer" version of a VN, the fact that the "true" version requires just a patch that they don't keep track of to suddenly be "unsafe" is why you'd remove them AA versions.

Deleted member 113

It seems John Romero will announce a new game tomorrow.

I just received an email, after a long period of silence, that says the following:

25 years ago DOOM was released on December 10th.
To celebrate this momentous occasion, Romero Games will announce pre-orders for a project John Romero just completed.

If you have been following John Romero's Instagram @theromero you would have seen the hints. What looked like a countdown to Doom's birthday became suddenly mysterious.

You'll receive another email on Monday announcing this new project, and have the opportunity to pre-order it.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
18 years ago Romero claimed to make people his bitches, best not pull that shit again.
But eh I'm down for whatever you got holmes~

<Now ready for Cross Mast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 113

18 years ago Romero claimed to make people his bitches, best not pull that shit again.
But eh I'm down for whatever you got holmes~
People always bring that up, but you wanna know something sadly funny: that tag line and promotion was not done by Romero, but by a guy (Mike Wilson) who is now one of the owners of Devolver, and is now pulling similar marketing stunts, with great success.

That campaign pretty much killed the high profile status and career of John Romero, and now everyone likes Devolver for doing similar crap.

Daikatana had a troubled development, and it ended up being very mediocre. But, not only wasn't it the worse game ever made, like some people like to claim, but I also don't think Romero deserved to become a punchline because of one single failure.

For me, that failure was easily redeemed soon after Ion Storm ended, when Romero and Tom Hall did a very fun little adventure/puzzle game called Hyperspace Delivery Boy!, that no one cared about or played.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
People always bring that up, but you wanna know something sadly funny: that tag line and promotion was not done by Romero, but by a guy (Mike Wilson) who is now one of the owners of Devolver, and is now pulling similar marketing stunts, with great success.

That campaign pretty much killed the high profile status and career of John Romero, and now everyone likes Devolver for doing similar crap.

Daikatana had a troubled development, and it ended up being very mediocre. But, not only wasn't it the worse game ever made, like some people like to claim, but I also don't think Romero deserved to become a punchline because of one single failure.

For me, that failure was easily redeemed soon after Ion Storm ended, when Romero and Tom Hall did a very fun little adventure/puzzle game called Hyperspace Delivery Boy!, that no one cared about or played.

tHANKS FOR THE INFO.

Deleted member 113

I like that Christmas avatar, Tizoc :D

The more I see of Operencia: The Stolen Sun, the more I like it.

What a wonderful, visually fascinating fantasy world they are crafting.
On the website about their Beta, they have questions about the Eye of the Beholder, Wizardry, and Lands of Lore series, so it appears the game is in good hands. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

InquisitorAles

I know nothing
Oct 19, 2018
www.youtube.com
I agree that all this storefronts war probably won't end well. Let me tell you about my experience with PC gaming. I live in a so-called "third-world country" and up until 2014, I pirate almost everything I've played. I'm not proud of it, but before 2013 I didn't have a real job and games were (and they still are) in the luxury category for me. It was not just about my low income, the PC market in 00s was a mess, there was no guarantee that another game won't end up being a barely functional console port, I didn't have internet so it was not easy to find a solution or at least download patch if something was wrong with the game, and on top of that all license was shipped with very intrusive DRM solutions like StarForce or SecuROM that required the disk in your DVD drive to launch the game all the time. Funnily enough, Steam was in the same category for me and I hated it because it required an internet connection to activate and play Half-Life games, and that's the reason why I avoided official versions and pirated Valve games back then. Pirated games usually offered games with no DRM or other bullshit attached, sometimes if the game officially didn't launch in my region they also had fan translations built-in which was also a huge plus. It was easier and more convenient to use pirated games rather than official products, and it was easier to download them from torrents when I finally got an internet connection in my house, because of my internet connection was extremely slow and some of those torrents were "RePacks" that compressed game files and even allow me to install different translation packs, like english audio + translated subtitles (some games offered you either fully english, or fully translated version, and in most cases those translations were really bad).

Then, in 2013, I got my first job and for the first time had some money that I could have spent on my own needs. First thing I've started to do is buying stuff that I've pirated before and enjoyed, like books, films, music albums, and of course games. I've started with physical stuff, I wasn't a big fan of digital and prefer to buy "real" stuff like collectors editions for recent games that I liked. Most of them come with activation codes for 3 platforms - Steam, GFWL and Origin. Since that was mostly the game that I've already played, I just activated them and didn't replay them, but I took a closer look at what these services could offer me in the future. GFWL was pretty much dead at this point, Origin had only EA games (but somewhat at the same time their output started to become less and less interesting for me), and Steam looked complicated as hell at first glance. But slowly, with the help of my friends, I learned how Steam works, what trading cards about, how to use communities and activity feed, found some sites about deals and learned about free games and promotions for Steam. Eventually, my first major Steam sale happened, and that's when I finally realized that of all existing alternatives, Steam offered the most convenient terms in buying and playing games for me. Yes, I had to use Steam to activate my first physical purchases, but great functionality and best sales with regional pricing was the reason I continued to use their services, not because I was forced to spend my money here. Since 2015 I completely stopped pirating games, because it became easier for me to just buy games on Steam and be able to access and download my library whenever I want from any PC I have.

TL;DR Steam won over me not because they had exclusives, but because they provided me more benefits as a consumer, and more importantly, they keep constantly improving their service. Of course, they are not perfect, I can criticize them about many things, like steam mobile app being barebones crap or outdated activity feed layout that sometimes just painful to browse if you haven't check it for a few days. But they've gained my trust, while other companies are trying to give me "buy from us or fuck off" ultimatums while providing fewer benefits and no guarantee that they will stay in business after 10 years. All those GFWL keys that I've activated are useless now, and while I don't think that Epic would just shut it down someday without honouring their customer's purchases, their attitude at how they trying to get into this market and also their previous history with PC market (I remember quite well how they constantly whined that "PC market is 99% pirates, consoles for the future" when things didn't work out for them in 00's) not giving me much hope that they will stick to it no matter what.

I'm not going to support these companies because of my PERSONAL experience with them, not because I'm Valve's shill. I don't support Windows Store because I lost my GFWL purchases back then. I don't support Bethesda launcher because it was horrible back in 2015 and they didn't show any sign of improvement since then. I don't support Discord and Epic stores because they have those shitty 3rd party exclusives and they are not giving the striking image of companies that committed to continue improving their services in the long run. I'm buying from Steam and GOG because they haven't treated their customers for granted and providing me with the most convenient terms of buying and playing my games. All those exclusivity deals don't mean that I'll back to pirating games, I simply won't buy them and spend my money on something else, most of these companies cry about shovelware on Steam, but in reality there is simply too many GREAT games lately, and missing even 10 of them won't change overall picture much. All these companies that want to do a competition to Steam should have to think about it much, MUCH earlier, now when the PC market is on the rise again they suddenly decided to come back like nothing happened and they were not the one who abandoned the very same market when things were not as good back in 00's.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Tsk so Capcom Cup finals take place at around 12-1 AM on the 17th over here.

Gonna need to rely on you fine chaps to PM me a url to the Season 4 trailer as I wear this to avoid getting spoiled on the reveals

Deleted member 113

Despite hearing people talk a lot about Slay the Spire, I think that Kinda Funny Games stream was the first time I ever saw some actual gameplay (I had a different idea about the game).
It looks fun.
Can anyone that owns the game please let me know if, by buying the game today (or, probably on the upcoming Steam winter sale) would I miss out on any content/in-game items (early access exclusive content, time-limited items, crowdfunding exclusives, ...)?
thanks

Speaking of card games, this one looks enjoyable, especially for the current price tag:

Here's a random gameplay video:

Deleted member 113

Idled and sold another 100 cards today- only got like 200 left so will hopefully have tyhem done by the time the Christmas sale starts
Every year, I try to prepare myself for the Winter sale.
This year, I even started adding 10€ a month to my wallet, starting in June, that I wasn't planning to touch until the Winter sale.

Well, so many worthwhile releases came up, I ended up spending all those wallet funds, and now I'm down to 0,63€. :p

I'll obviously end up buying games, but as usual, any preparation plans on my behalf end in disaster. :giggle:

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
I usually spend more on my friends than on myself. There's like a group of 10 or so of us that used to post on the 3DR forums while waiting for DNF
But they all gift me games back so it kind of works out in the end

Guilty of Being

META MAN
Dec 5, 2018
Texas
I have like 1,800 cards in my inventory. Is there a faster way to list them other than the standard way? I also tend to craft one badge and then sell the leftovers from the game.

I usually spend more on my friends than on myself. There's like a group of 10 or so of us that used to post on the 3DR forums while waiting for DNF
But they all gift me games back so it kind of works out in the end
I don’t think we’re friends on Steam, even though I know you from the other place.

Furthermore, Indlemaster Extended works a lot faster than the OG Idlemaster. It looks like I’m all caught up until the sale.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I have like 1,800 cards in my inventory. Is there a faster way to list them other than the standard way? I also tend to craft one badge and then sell the leftovers from the game.

I don’t think we’re friends on Steam, even though I know you from the other place.

Furthermore, Indlemaster Extended works a lot faster than the OG Idlemaster. It looks like I’m all caught up until the sale.
Steam economy enhancer

Gevin

Watch Madoka
Nov 16, 2018
I need to start buying the cards for crafting badges so I can sell the mistery cards as soon as they are out...

Deleted member 113

With all this "excitement" about the Evil Epic Games store, you could almost forget that a lot of interesting titles are released almost every day on Steam.
December used to be a "calm" month in terms of releases, but this year, it seems we will be getting new games and DLCs right up until the end of the year.

Here are a few games (and one DLC) that are launching this week:

December 11:

Kingdom Two Crowns:

---

December 13:

Double Switch - 25th Anniversary Edition:

Lucius III

Book of Demons (leaving Early Access):

Shadows: Awakening – The Necrophage’s Curse DLC:

Shadows: Awakening - Necrophage's Curse

Status
Not open for further replies.