Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Rightfully so, when you see the prices for which the profile backgrounds go for. This has to be the first non-anime game with this kind of crazy spenders.

You should buy cards to complete the set and craft a level-1 badge, rather than sell your cards.
Crafted my badge but the stuff I got isn't marketable for another week :(
I bet the prices will go down once everyone puts their stuff up for sale.

Reactions: Wok

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Crafted my badge but the stuff I got isn't marketable for another week :(
I bet the prices will go down once everyone puts their stuff up for sale.
Ah, I forgot about that. The stuff which are bought from the market are not marketable for a week. How many cards did you buy? 3 to have a set of 6?

Which emoticon and profile background did you get? Hopefully, it will still be worth quite a bit in a week. Sorry if it ends up being a bad piece of advice.

Now, I see, the smart thing to do would have been to craft a booster pack, and trade duplicate cards using tools like STM to avoid market restrictions. If 3 cards are dropped, you only need one booster pack to have a set of 6 cards, and hopefully complete the set only with trades. For instance, this is how this Russian dude managed to reach level 5 without any unmarketable items: dude trades 3000 gems (~1€) for a booster pack, so that he bypasses the market.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Ah, I forgot about that. The stuff which are bought from the market are not marketable for a week. How many cards did you buy? 3 to have a set of 6?

Which emoticon and profile background did you get? Hopefully, it will still be worth quite a bit in a week. Sorry if it ends up being a bad piece of advice.

Now, I see, the smart thing to do would have been to craft a booster pack, and trade duplicate cards using tools like STM to avoid market restrictions. If 3 cards are dropped, you only need one booster pack to have a set of 6 cards, and hopefully complete the set only with trades.
No worries lol. Just one euro off of money that I had left over from market sales. I should’ve read the fine print on market restrictions anyway, forgot about that bit.

Reactions: Wok

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Tried everything I can see online, just seems to be a problem with ryzen and the new mobos
Do you have an Asrock board? Might try their fast boot option. Can't use it myself, since it somehow doesn't recognize my SSD drive with it on, but hey, not everyone can be that unlucky

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Both of my Ryzen cpus have always booted slow. It's mainly slow until it gets it act together to show me what must be an important picture of a fantasy sports car that someone at MSI thought I needed for e-peen purposes. Once it actually starts booting the OS off the drive its real fast.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Both of my Ryzen cpus have always booted slow. It's mainly slow until it gets it act together to show me what must be an important picture of a fantasy sports car that someone at MSI thought I needed for e-peen purposes. Once it actually starts booting the OS off the drive its real fast.
Yeah, it takes 10 seconds before my mobo logo even appears, so it may be my GPU

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Man, this is with an SSD too. Same one I used to use but wiped obv, used to be 10 seconds.

Read Ryzens can cause slow boot times but come on :( Got the BIOS settings as what you'd expect too
Did you install your Windows using Master Boot Record (MBR)? To get faster boot up times, you need to use UEFI.
Check msinfo32 to see what BIOS mode is used

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Friend sent me this via chat and this looks fun!

The kind of fun that make my CPU & GPU warm my room during Winter! The lighting and physics look fantastic.

I'll be keeping an eye on this. The dev is a madman! I could dick about for hours in the actual game and not even start the goal.

Reactions: PC-tan

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeah, it takes 10 seconds before my mobo logo even appears, so it may be my GPU
It's possibly the DRAM training that takes longer. Some higher clock/CAS modules generally take longer to do so. I have an ASUS board too and it takes about 30 seconds from cold boot.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm going to assume that M.2 Drives should always be laying flat down and not "standing up" (leaning up) even if it's a few mm?

My Motherboard came with a heatsink and it accord to me why don't I just use the screws that are on that? I don't think my Intel 660p would need a heatsink so I could just use one of those two screws. The issue now is that it seems that the screw is a little two high. It seems that the screw that I need is a M2x3 and the one I am using right now is a M2x4 so it's 1mm taller than I need (and I'm guessing that's so that it will have enough room to be on top of my M.2 drive.

Now crazy idea but would it be possible for me to just put M.2 heatsink on top of the drive and "sandwich" it since it's main purpose is to be on top of the drive. Or is that an even worse idea?

Also screw you Kotobukiya, I got their most recent Street Fighter Sakura Bishojo figure and I have no idea how to remove her base so that I can place the decal in the middle of it. Oh and I'm running out of places to put my waifus.

Lashley

Please disperse! Nothing to see here!
Did you install your Windows using Master Boot Record (MBR)? To get faster boot up times, you need to use UEFI.
Check msinfo32 to see what BIOS mode is used
It's UEFI

It's possibly the DRAM training that takes longer. Some higher clock/CAS modules generally take longer to do so. I have an ASUS board too and it takes about 30 seconds from cold boot.
Ah, may be this. Its 3600 mhz

Reactions: Kvik

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I've had my Steam controller for a few days, but finally got around to trying to really tweak it. It's really impressive how many options you have! Even if I'm not using everything, being able to do something like say - set the right trackpad as a mouse, except when I'm holding down a button for a radial menu in a game, is pretty cool stuff.

Reactions: Kvik and lashman

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The main thing that I thought was really cool about the Steam controller (I have not played that many older PC games so I don't know if this is something that they could do) but with the left touchpad you would get visuals for quick items, compared to a dpad that was a lot more cool since you could more quickly choose stuff this way (Bad Company 2 was the main game that I played that had this, Far Cry 1 also had this as well. )

By the way so I was able to hook everything up, my PC booted up. So yay, not only that it was able to detect my 2 new drives now for the bad news, it seems like it still detects my 500GB Samsung 840 EVO that is my boot drive but it doesn't seem to boot into windows but rather it just goes back to BIOS. In want to boot into Windows 10 again to test some stuff but if I'm not able to that doesn't matter much in the end since I planned to make the Intel drive my new boot drive (I ended up locking it into place by using the heatsink that came with my Motherboard to sandwich it into place)

I think I might end up setting my PC to "fastboot" is there any disadvantage to this other than not being able to get to BIOS? And if I wanted to get into BIOS what would I need to do?

cluto

Subhuman garbage
Dec 13, 2018
Rightfully so, when you see the prices for which the profile backgrounds go for. This has to be the first non-anime game with this kind of crazy spenders.

You should buy trade cards to complete the set and craft a level-1 badge, rather than sell your cards.
I love selling JPGs.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Tried everything I can see online, just seems to be a problem with ryzen and the new mobos
Correct, it's a problem with Ryzen2. My boot also a lot longer than my previous i5 4460 although now I use nvme instead of regular SSD.

Reactions: Lashley

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Troubleshooting sucks sometimes, but on the whole it is not that big a trade-off for me compared to all the advantages like having choices over how I’d like a game to run, how I’d like it to look, having access to mods, having fast load times, free online, almost universal cloud saves, near complete backwards compatibility, etc.

I get that options make certain people very anxious, but that’s what I love most. I’m also the type of person to always first go through all settings in games before starting, even on console. My partner hates reading manuals, recipes and instructions though. So I can see how some people just don’t gel with that approach. It’s never the Sisyphean task some people make it out to be -- though I can appreciate that for them it might as well be.

You’ve got folks for whom even the choice between a quality and performance mode is too big an ask, so of course going to guru3D to download a driver is some next level stuff. More than anything else in games aside from preferred genres, the choice between PC and consoles very dependent on personality, I think.

Last edited:

eonden

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The whole "settings are very complex" makes me think people just overthink and want to always change settings. 99% of the times, I only go to settings if after playing for a while I feel something is off, because the automatic settings by Nvidia were not that good.

Yes, I can change the settings to tweak my experience, but nowadays it isnt required to touch them in the vast majority of cases.

Edit: similarly, I dont get the whole "game doesnt run with drivers!" most of the time, drivers only provide a small boost in perfomance, and that is similar to a ton of day 1 patches on consoles. Nowadays, OS / driver updates are mainly painless, as they are automatic and do not tend to affect anything (except if you are the Windows Store, but that is another trashcan fire)

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
"Oh you just have to tweak some of the settings"

"There's a mod that you need to drop in the folder"

"You just need to play it in compatibility mode"

I know right? Stuff you can do with one or two mouse clicks seen as some obscure magic.

Edit: similarly, I dont get the whole "game doesnt run with drivers!" most of the time, drivers only provide a small boost in perfomance, and that is similar to a ton of day 1 patches on consoles. Nowadays, OS / driver updates are mainly painless, as they are automatic and do not tend to affect anything (except if you are the Windows Store, but that is another trashcan fire)
Actually, the Windows Store, at least via Gamepass has actually gotten fairly usable of late. It could still use some better auto-update functionality, something they should just integrate into the regular Windows Update program, but after near a decade I feel MS is closing in on making it useable.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Frankly, I feel there would be something wrong with me if I didn't tinker with a game for at least half an hour when I first installed it. Even for something like a VN where most people would just shut up and read, I would tinker with my Steam Controller profile at the very least.

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019
I was having some serious problems with lag and slowdown in both Windows and games. Guess what solved it despite universal warnings not to do it? Defragging the SSD 😂 Maybe it can help someone out there, but I suppose it should be among the last options.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Apparently gaming on PC is akin to flying on a spaceship, I don't know how are we managing such a hard task for so long folks.
you talking about fan sound? I mean, sometimes it might sound like a 747 but overall experiences can be silent.

Reactions: lashman and Pommes

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
you talking about fan sound? I mean, sometimes it might sound like a 747 but overall experiences can be silent.
Personally, I never had problems with how fan's sound (I have a restaurant under my apartments, so I'm immune to loud noises at this point). That being said, my post was a reference to a thread on the other forum.

Reactions: Mor

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Personally, I never had problems with how fan's sound (I have a restaurant under my apartments, so I'm immune to loud noises at this point). That being said, my post was a reference to a thread on the other forum.
Oh sorry, misunderstood this, thought we were talking about sound, don't know why when I read spaceship I thought it was because of the engines xD
morning posts are not the best ones hahaha

Reactions: Rosenkrantz

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Today, the first EGS exclusive releases on Steam.

I did considering getting it day 1 for a while, but due to both Hades and Boneworks releasing tommorrow, I will buy both of them and a ton of other games I need to play, I will wait for Ashen.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

I did considering getting it day 1 for a while, but due to both Hades and Boneworks releasing tommorrow, I will buy both of them and a ton of other games I need to play, I will wait for Ashen.
Yeah, same here but change Hades for a few other games on my list, Ashen probably next month or so, well, or maybe this month but still need to figure out how.

Reactions: lashman

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018

DId they fixed MP? :steam_pig_laughing:

Reactions: lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.