Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I might play it in time for it to be my GOTY 2020!

We should have a "Game Released In The Year" or GRITY Award and the GOTY would be the game you loved the most that year regardless of release date.
I hardly ever bother with game voting as i don't usually play and finish many games released in the same year.
Isn't this technically what the Steam Awards were doing but they changed it this year?

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
We've come to an understanding about that. I asked her if she minds if I'm playing games in that time, and she asked me back if I mind that she reads or paints her nails while I play games. I said no, she said "Well there you go".

It's the communication that's the key. If she wants to do something else, we can do that. It helps that I'm never hung up on playing the newest releases, I'm mostly working my way through my backlog. There will always be another day to play games.
My wife doesn't have any hobbies to distract her and despises videogames so it's a bit of a problem.
I rarely buy a game day 1 myself but next year is just crazy. The release schedule for the first semester is just absolutely insane, There are several games I absolutely want to play on day 1 releasing within weeks or even days of each other. I'll be playing catch up for at least 3 years and that's without accounting for everything that is already in my backlog...

Reactions: Taborcarn

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Re-bought and fired up RDR2.

I can play at 1080p with everything on High (phew there are a lot of settings, i dont know what a lot of them do) and get pretty constant 60fps so im happy.

Reactions: yuraya

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
Guys, what's better in terms of single-player content Injustice 2 or MK11? I won't play online, so, it doesn't really matter what has better netcode.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Re-bought and fired up RDR2.

I can play at 1080p with everything on High (phew there are a lot of settings, i dont know what a lot of them do) and get pretty constant 60fps so im happy.

I saw someone post on steam forums the other day explaining all the settings and best way to set up everything to look like eye candy without destroying your frames, having glitches, etc.

Triple Buffering: Off (This setting also comes at a performance cost. If you can achieve stable performance at your desired frame rate, this setting is unnecessary.)

Standard Settings

Texture Quality: Ultra / Anisotropic Filtering: 16x / Lighting Quality: Medium ('High' can tank performance in night scenes with lots of lights.) / Global Illumination: Medium (Visual difference from 'Ultra' is minor, and performance is better.) / Shadow Quality: High ('Ultra' is unnecessary, even at 4k. And 'Medium' gives jagged edges.) / Far Shadow Quality: Ultra (Visually better transitions from distant into near shadows, and very performance-friendly.) / SSAO: Medium (Higher settings barely make a difference.) / Reflection Quality: Medium (Higher settings tank performance, for a negligible difference in overall image quality.) / Mirror Quality: Ultra / Particle Quality: Medium* / Tessellation Quality: High / TAA: Medium (This is good enough at 4k, I don't know about 1080p though.) FXAA: Off / MSAA: Off

Advanced Settings

Graphics API: Vulkan / Near Volumetric Resolution: Medium (Higher settings tank performance, and even at 4k I can barely spot the improvements.) / Far Volumetric Resolution: Ultra** / Volumetric Lighting Quality: Ultra** / Unlocked Volumetric Raymarch Resolution: On (Turning this off will give you a lot of blocky artifacts in very distant clouds.) / Particle Lighting Quality: Medium* / Soft Shadows: High ('Medium' can produce visible artifacts around your character's shadow, and 'High' seems to have about the same performance cost.) / Grass Shadows: Medium (You can only tell the difference between 'High' and 'Medium' when doing a screenshot comparison, not during gameplay.) / Long Shadows: On / Full Resolution SSAO: Off (You'll barely be able to tell the difference, and turning this on comes at a performance cost.) / Water Refraction: Medium / Water Reflection Quality: Medium / Water Physics Quality: Halfway / Resolution Scale: Off / TAA Sharpening: Max / Motion Blur: Off / Reflection MSAA: 4x (Only applies to mirrors, and the performance cost is minor.) / Geometry LoD: Max / Grass LoD: Halfway (Even at 4k, increasing this setting beyond the halfway mark doesn't seem to make a visual difference.) / Tree Quality: High ('Medium' will give you visible pop-in.) / Parallax Occlusion Mapping: Ultra (Also make sure that 'deepsurfaceQuality' is set to 'kSettingLevel_Ultra' in the 'system.xml' file.) / Decal Quality: Ultra / Fur Quality: High / Tree Tessellation: Off
These worked great for me after a lot of inconsistent tinkering and everyone picking the game up now should really follow this. And obviously at 1080p I would have FXAA: on.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
---

I got my pay from my new job. I used to maybe make $800-$900 USD at most in a month. But with this new job I made over $600USD in just one week!!!!!

The issue is that I don't have much time to play games though....

Well at least I will be able to afford a Valve index now and if need be I can buy a new graphics card.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I got my pay from my new job. I used to maybe make $800-$900 USD at most in a month. But with this new job I made over $600USD in just one week!!!!!
This starts a bit like one of those "did YOU know that you can make THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS by working at HOME???" spams, especially with the exclamation marks. I thought you might be about to tell me about a great multilevel marketing opportunity ;)

Seriously though, congrats!

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
This starts a bit like one of those "did YOU know that you can make THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS by working at HOME???" spams, especially with the exclamation marks. I thought you might be about to tell me about a great multilevel marketing opportunity ;)

You can be a MILLIONAIRE from HOME working for GOOGLE!!!!!!!!! Click HERE to KNOW how and get a FREE iPhone 3G!!!!!!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

I guess this is what it is like going from working part time for years to being full time. I sort of came close to it before when I was a pizza delivery person but that was because of tips (I think I would get something like $300-500USD in tips a month).

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im very happy MS is releasing all their games on Steam/PC, means I don't need to buy the next Xbox.

Only need a PS5 and a Nintendo console.

Reactions: NarohDethan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Anyway, Steam store best store confirmed.

A big thing to not as well is that this is something that (I don't know about MS but I would imagine that they might be a bit more forgiving compared to the other two) this is the best that you would be able to get out of Sony,MS, and Nintendo.

Did you buy something from the eshop, did even download it or anything and want a refund? According to Nintendo FAQ stuff they will not allow that, it seems the only two times that they have allowed that was with Overwatch (because of the Hong Kong stuff, Nintendo/Blizzard even had to cancel the event for the N/S release in the New York store and the SMT FE game in Japan a few months ago). And even then from what I recall they would only give you your refund as store credit!

With Sony it is sort of the game, the big difference is that Sony does allow refund (sort of), the two cases in which Sony will give you a refund is if A) you pre-ordered a game but have not pre-loaded it yet and B) the software is defective (so stuff like No Mans Sky at release or the recent WWE game. I think they made this new rule after Fallout 76 but before the release of the WWE game. I don't recall people saying that they were able to get refund on PSN for Fallout 76. oh and I guess there have been cases where Sony just removes the game from your library because of how bad the game is and refunds you, I think they did this for that one Afro Samurai game). When they give you a refund they do it through store credit. Also if you do get a refund Sony will not allow you to buy that game again, even if it was fixed down the line (this may have changed, but I do recall that with No Man Sky they told people they could get a refund but would not be able to buy the game digitally again). The one thing that Sony does do good on is when stuff goes on sale, so if you buy a game today and all of a sudden it goes on sale tomorrow they probably will just give you store credit for the difference. So Sony would rather not give out refunds at all and instead just give you partial store credit at best. I think they got rid of the policy that said they will only allow you to refund one game per PSN account. Oh and let us not forget how PSN has a $5USD min amount for what you can buy. Is something on sale for $1USD well too bad you need to still spend $5USD to buy that game.

With Nintendo I am assuming they are more strict on refunds in general.

MS does do refunds now I think on Xbox stuff (I have talked to a MS person and told them I forgot to cancel my Xbox Game pass subscription and they gave me a refund to my card that I used)

For PC stores in general they do the whole if you play less than 2 hours and if it's within 2 weeks thing and that it will be refunded to your card thing.

Reactions: Rando10123

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
WTF

Apparently teaser will be made available to Gothic/Elex/Risen Steam owners soon. Tube getting full of tubers playing it too. Looks good. Please be good. Just hope they will manage to make combat feel half decent yet just as hardcore as the original so that you can't cheese impossible stuff before getting normally appropriately powerful (or clever). And of course hopefully the world interactions and story aren't at all streamlined but developed further if anything.

Aw, so not quite a game just yet.

Last edited:

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
WTF

Apparently teaser will be made available to Gothic/Elex/Risen Steam owners soon. Tube getting full of tubers playing it too. Looks good. Please be good. Just hope they will manage to make combat feel half decent yet just as hardcore as the original so that you can't cheese impossible stuff before getting normally appropriately powerful (or clever). And of course hopefully the world interactions and story aren't at all streamlined but developed further if anything.

Aw, so not quite a game just yet.
WHAT THE FUCK

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Already own them all, which makes me sad that we did not get more ports like the Espgaluda games or Deathsmiles 2.
I'd bet they didn't sell well. No way Deathsmiles is worth $20 when everybody has been playing it for free for years.

They should roll everything together in a big collection like Capcom did with Street Fighter or SNK did with Metal Slug Anthology. Make it into something cool, and charge appropriately for it. Include Akai Katana, SaiDaiOuJou, and maybe even Progear if they're able to. It would be exciting and people would buy it. I'd pay $30-$50 for that, it's probably 20 games or so.

That weird Japanese "what's pc?" thing and pretending that MAME doesn't exist is still costing them.

And hell, could they make something new this decade?

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Hasn't Gothic been remade like 6 times by now?
Not ever, must be thinking of something else. Even if you count their non-gothic later games as spiritual successors/remakes/reboots there aren't that many.

The ancient originals re-released on Steam as-is have 4-5K largely positive reviews for good reason (probably plenty more on gog and elsewhere too).

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I did and I really like the idea, the artstyle and the two characters. Can't say I found the gameplay particularly exciting though.
Yeah, that's what worries me. I liked the things you mentioned when I saw the trailer but was wondering if it delivered on the gameplay front.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
When ever some one ask me what I do in my free time I tell them that I like to read. Which is true, I like to read manga, LN, anime, video game subtitles, and forum post (oh and comment sections).

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Only had time to play a few minutes of the Haven demo but I can see myself really getting into this one.

Also, that Easter egg in the RE2 demo gave me goosebumps.

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I'd bet they didn't sell well. No way Deathsmiles is worth $20 when everybody has been playing it for free for years.

They should roll everything together in a big collection like Capcom did with Street Fighter or SNK did with Metal Slug Anthology. Make it into something cool, and charge appropriately for it. Include Akai Katana, SaiDaiOuJou, and maybe even Progear if they're able to. It would be exciting and people would buy it. I'd pay $30-$50 for that, it's probably 20 games or so.

That weird Japanese "what's pc?" thing and pretending that MAME doesn't exist is still costing them.

And hell, could they make something new this decade?
I read somewhere they had money problems - no wonder when you don't rerelease your stuff.

So many great Shmups from them sitting on the 360...

Reactions: Wildebeet

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
So, I've tried almost every demo: Spiritfarer and The Drifter are the two I liked the most, I'll most likely pick those up when they launch.

Carrion, Roki, Acid Knife I recommend trying. They all seem to be very solid games and pretty polished already.

Eastward, Haven, Wooden Nickle and Chicory are also worth a try if you're so inclined.

Moving Out seems like a fun game to play co-op, not much to say solo.

I found Skatebird and Heavenly Bodies to be quite bad, to be honest.

Oldschool PC

Nov 23, 2019
Holy shit the Gothic remake is a dumpster fire!

• Early PS3 graphics
  • Sub 30 fps
  • Missing animation frames
  • Horrible Australian voiceacting

And those are just the technical problems. They changed everything from the original game so that it's beyond recognition. The dialog, NPCs, music, and world have all been erased. You spend the first 25 minutes walking through linear corridors and watching unskippable cutscenes.

What the hell were THQ thinking releasing this abomination to the public? It's not only an insult to Gothic fans but humanity in general.

Taborcarn

Battle Santa
Feb 28, 2019
My wife doesn't have any hobbies to distract her and despises videogames so it's a bit of a problem.
I rarely buy a game day 1 myself but next year is just crazy. The release schedule for the first semester is just absolutely insane, There are several games I absolutely want to play on day 1 releasing within weeks or even days of each other. I'll be playing catch up for at least 3 years and that's without accounting for everything that is already in my backlog...
That's unfortunate with the despising. That kind of thing is actually true for me too, except with my board game night. Video games turned out to be the better compromise for me because at least I'm home for it.

Again communication is key, let her know this is important to you and which releases in particular you are looking forward to and hopefully you can come to a compromise.

Reactions: Dragon1893

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I played the Eastward game and the combat was the thing that I didn't like about the game, everything was really cool though. I also tried Chicory, I just didn't have much fun coloring stuff. System Shock was a bit confusing because of the controls that I am use to in a FPS game but I think I will be getting that one.

By the way what are all the differences in keyboard keys? cherry, tactile, linear, mx?

Do all of you use a mouse pad? I never had one and wondered what is the point of them? Do the sensors in modern mice get gunk on them?

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
By the way what are all the differences in keyboard keys? cherry, tactile, linear, mx?
Cherry MX is the brand, linear switches go smoothly up and down as you press them, tactile ones returns a slight bump each time you press a key and tactile & clicky ones also make a clicking sound. Usually Cherry MX Brown switches (tactile, non-clicky) are the most recommended because they work nice both with gaming and typing, while Cherry MX Red and Black are usually recommended for those who want the best keyboard for gaming, as they are linear and faster to press, the Black ones are a little heavier; Cherry MX Blue are my personal favorite because I'm a weirdo (I don't use them anymore but I loved them) and have a nice satisfying clicking sound each time you press a key, they're usually recommended if you do a lot of typing. There are more switch available but these are the most common ones.

If you have a store near you or feel like spending 10 bucks on a useless but nice-to-see piece of plastic, you could pick up a cherry mx tester on Amazon, it's a small thing with a key for each switch so you can try which one you like the most.

Last edited:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Reactions: PC-tan
Status
Not open for further replies.