Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Started randomly to play Company of Heroes, it's kinda dated and it's "slower" than what I usually like in RTS, but a lot of fun. Going through the campaign missions.

Reactions: FunnyJay

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

This might be top 3 of games I've played this year.

What crt / scanline filters do you guys use? I could use some right about now.

Reactions: lashman

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Do all of you use a mouse pad? I never had one and wondered what is the point of them? Do the sensors in modern mice get gunk on them?
To not wear down the mouse feet, get optimal gliding characteristic by using a surface that the feet are designed for, get the most out of the sensor by, again, using a surface that was designed for this purpose and have something soft for my palm. Not using a pad is like.... the fuck why, only has drawbacks.

Reactions: Nabs

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Yep. (Well, technically "Warhammer - Total War", but we all know it's really Total Warhammer)
Not calling it that is such a gigantic missed opportunity that I have to assume it was some branding decision mandated from the top. I mean, come on! Total Warhammer. It's perfect!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Not calling it that is such a gigantic missed opportunity that I have to assume it was some branding decision mandated from the top. I mean, come on! Total Warhammer. It's perfect!
Lol, I have had Total Warhammer 2 on my wishlist since release (haven't played the first game yet, so I will wait) and for some reason I always thought it was called Total Warhammer, but checking my wishlist it of course says Total War: Warhammer w.

I still find "Total Warhammer" way better despite that I named it that in my head for some reason. :p

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Today, we're making New World available for pre-order again.
You were one of the first customers to order New World, and you ordered it when it was free-to-play.​
Your order is still good, and your price – $0.00 – is still good also.

Got this email from Amazon. Cool, cool.

From the Amazon page: DRM: Steam

Nice.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
You were one of the first customers to order New World, and you ordered it when it was free-to-play.​

Nice.

That's great news. I preordered the game when it was free to play also, so I'll be getting a Steam key too.

Reactions: Nabs

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
So I sampled a whole bunch of free demos. Quick thoughts follow

System shock- Faithful as hell remake, I got chills when I heard Shodan's voice. It didn't run well on my pc (no surprise), no subtitle function which sucked. A big maybe future purchase.

The Drifter- Really interesting point and click that works awesome with a controller. I liked the art style and the story. It flowed well. Another maybe.

Carrion- This one was something. 2D stealth done well and the moment I loaded it up it controlled exactly like I thought it would. Real nice up and comer.

Eastward- This one charmed the hell out of me and I really felt it's gameplay. This might be the best one I sampled. Almost a definite.

Acid Knife- Ahhh.... I appreciated its art style and the clever combination of slow plodding management and frantic gameplay but it was a bit clunky to control.

Skatebird- I tried. I'm sorry but when I see that I'm controlling a skater, I default to Tony Hawk controls/physics. Add the buggy nature of the demo and lack of flow, I uninstalled it after five minutes.

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
It's odd to have so many demos available suddenly! It feels like the 90' are back!

Speaking of, System Shock seems to be pretty much exactly that. The original, with a coat of (very nice) paint. Very faithful, maybe too much, the combat is not super engaging. And good grief I remember getting very lost in that game, and that hasn't changed. That sure as hell isn't 2019 FPS level design. I still think it's a bit too meandering and complicated, System Shock 2 hits the sweet spot for me.
I'll get this one, and run around in circles once again.

Eastward: I can't wait for the game. And I do like it a lot, it's absurdly gorgeous pixel art, great soundtrack (audio cues are ripping off Zelda a tiny bit... I know that's a major inspiration but...), cool ass world design, it feels like a modern Earthbound in some ways.
But the level design, I dunno. We'll see in the full game, but I can already some extreme backtracking with the way the "dungeons" are designed, with excessive linearity forcing you to reply a bunch of stuff when you missed something.
I just hope it does not suffer too much from that like, say, the Mario&Luigi franchise. Feels a lot like it with the two characters.

Acid Knife reminds of Mario Land 2 for some reason. The weird creepy atmosphere of the Halloween world. I really, really enjoy the movement in that one, it's the right amount of weight and inertia while always keeping you in control and being fast enough not to get frustrated.
However dropping your weapon constantly? Having to repair it by selecting it with the D-pad, dropping it with X and down, then selecting your flint, pushing LT to repair the weapon, then picking it back up again? What in the holy fuck?
I like the game, but it will need a complete revamp of the QOL issues that it suffers from. It will quickly get infuriating when you reach harder content.

Haven looks nice... if you can forgive the dirty ass aliasing. But... not really actually. It seems empty, because it is. The characters look good I guess? Good music too.
But that's it.
It's slow, pretty clunky, and frankly, I was not interested for one second of the gameplay outside of the dialogue. Not a good sign at all, this smells like a dud.

Carrion I already played a bit... it's nice, lots of gore, but I still don't like the stealth aspect while you're squishing around in air vents and trying to target ennemies with your skills.
I just don't like how it feels, it's like controlling a puddle of goo with a squirt gun rather a disgusting meat tentacle alien. It's too light and slippery, and the targeting system is lacking. Especially when you're mid-battle in a bunch of corpses and objects.

Chicory is just a whole lot of nothing. The paint brush doesn't work as well as it does in Okami and other similar games, and it's just boring to look at, boring to read, and boring to play. I think that the "color the game how you like" will only works for the most extremely dedicated, because you don't need to do it. In the same way that I don't bother inking every single surface of every single level of Splatoon, I won't bother in this one either. Especially considering how fiddly it can get. You just end up with a flat, mostly empty, black and white world with a couple of interactions on each screen (if that).
Big disappointment that one.

Gothic remake; Grats, you missed every single thing that made the franchise great, and you couldn't even be bothered to keep the dialogue in.
Good thing that asked for community feedback before turning that into a full game at least. Now they just have to go back to the drawing board.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm liking a lot of the demo so far.

+
Haven gameplay is shit, but its characters are nice, we will see.
Chicory is boring but not that bad.
Eastward was solid.
Spiritfarer was love (if a little on the boring side too).

+/-
Carrion plays well.

-
Acid Knife is not my thing and well, the dev himself says its not even the beginning of a full game, so wathev, cool experiment I guess.

---
Skatebird was pathetic. I can understand your game not being ready for primetime but at this point in dev, don't do a demo.

Still have to try Röki and Drifter, the rest can wait.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
WTF

Apparently teaser will be made available to Gothic/Elex/Risen Steam owners soon. Tube getting full of tubers playing it too. Looks good. Please be good. Just hope they will manage to make combat feel half decent yet just as hardcore as the original so that you can't cheese impossible stuff before getting normally appropriately powerful (or clever). And of course hopefully the world interactions and story aren't at all streamlined but developed further if anything.

Aw, so not quite a game just yet.
Yeah, it's not very good. Though people are being harsh, it's not a finished game that they only made a single area for before developing a full game after gauging interest, that's not how game dev works, I doubt anything (not even the graphical effects, many seem to be just default UE4 stuff) would remain as is if they do get to make the game. Still, they mention Piranha is doing another project set for 2020 so they should pass this remake deal to them after that's done. Or have this studio do the grunt work like all the art assets (but 1:1 to the originals, it's not the best looking game but if it was true to Gothic and looked like that overall I'd be happy, Gothic was ugly in many ways, though the environment design was generally great) but all the inner workings and direction done by Piranha, I dunno. And of course there's no reason to go all out with the voice acting, just use the original VA as is straight and text where there was none still, you can't make Gothic worth investing AAA budgets to (and even this streamlined take wouldn't get an AAA budget itself even if people liked it so they'd have to limit the scope and systems and interactions further if they were to have VA for all of it). Also I have to say the intro was actually pretty well done considering the limitations of such a non-product, but it did get tiresome when everything else was also a cut scene rather than a simpler rpgamey dialogue interaction.

Angelo

Junior Member?
Dec 21, 2018
I played all the demos i wanted to play. Very happy with Spiritfarer, Eastward, Chicory, Carrion, Haven. Having second thoughts about Skatebird.

Reactions: Wok

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Röki was short as fuck. Nice little point n' click.

Reactions: Dandy

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Nice.
Link to game please?

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Steam preparing to finally add Steam Reviews to the client. This hopefully includes sort :)

I don't know what review_score is though. Review Percentage is all time reviews.

Nice.
I guess randomly preordering random f2p game sometimes is worth it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Idk why that gives me kingdoms of amalur vibes somehow, it's a whole different setting and everything.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This starts a bit like one of those "did YOU know that you can make THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS by working at HOME???" spams, especially with the exclamation marks. I thought you might be about to tell me about a great multilevel marketing opportunity ;)

Seriously though, congrats!
Well I mean you can all thanks to the Steam Marketplace.

here is my referral link /s

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Ooh, Receiver was great, I wish they had developed it further a long time ago but it's cool to get it still. And yeah it's a perfect fit for VR, shame they aren't giving that option (though it would make some things too easy, others would still be tricky and time consuming like manually loading all the bullets in a magazine).

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Steam preparing to finally add Steam Reviews to the client. This hopefully includes sort :)

I don't know what review_score is though. Review Percentage is all time reviews.
What does this mean?

So what was it that made Skatebird special again? Since I did see a lot of people talking about it and calling it the next Untitled Goose game.

At least on MC it seems like people here are not that happy with the game.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Keep in mind that it is all part of a bigger strategy. You have the option to buy on Steam, but the price is incredibly high.
Game Pass is perfect for Microsoft: since the game is not being sold, they can offer it for $1, and Valve cannot complain about an unfair treatment.

I won't complain though: I get freebies from Epic, and I play expensive games on day one for $1 with Microsoft. I would have bought Ori 2 (it is one of the three games which I want to play in 2020), and I won't have to pay 30 € for it on Steam. Without Game Pass, I would have gladly paid 20 € for it, as for Ori 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Li Kao and Durante

sprinkles

Dec 8, 2018
I also tried out a bunch of the time limited demos:
  • System Shock - faithful recreation of the Medical sector of the original. That's good for those that wanted this from the Kickstarter (myself included), but be prepared for mid 90's level design. Combat needs work, but it's the first level in a Shock game so you are missing a lot of weapons&abilities. Demo ran like shit on my aging rig at 1440p.
  • Eastward - Great visuals, mellow music, but kinda annoying controls. Is this gonna be coop too?
  • Haven - both characters are so good together, what a cute couple. I love them. Playing the game, not so much. I hope getting good at drifting won't be a requirement... The story was only hinted at, but seems intriguing.
  • Spiritfarer - Hugging Friends The Game.
  • Röki - reminds my that I like Adventure games but for some reason don't play them much. I should play Cayne soon, or get back to Policenauts.

Reactions: Li Kao

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Haven combat system is going to get old really fast. I wish it was fully in turns instead of this weird "AAA game menu simulator", because I'm super into the characters.
Chicory felt a lot better once I just swapped to playing with KBM, that game feels terrible on a controller lol. I imagine it will get more creative with puzzles, colors and whatever once you leave the tutorial.
Carrion just feels wrong. There's something about how it controls that makes me actively hate it.
Skatebird demo was just too early, hard to tell anything when I'm mostly bugging out. All I have to say is that having to hold forward to go forward makes every TPS memory in my head scream.
Eastward and Roki were very nice surprises. I think Eastward was bugged since I was having massive slowdowns but It didnt stop me from enjoying it. Roki is basically a point and click game, really nice atmosphere but can't really tell shit about the story.
Heavenly Bodies was frustrating as fuck, not interested in I Am Bread - Astronaut Edition.
Spiritfarer was lovely, can't wait for the full thing.
Wooden Nickel was weird but I like the concept.

Also Gothic for some reason didn't load any textures for me so it looked like one of those asset flip games, which going by impressions and the combat gameplay I saw (For Honor combat are you fucking serious) seems to be an appropriate impression of the game.

Reactions: Li Kao and Angelo

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Gujian 3 players... Does it run ok for you?
I'm playing the tutorial battle and the fps drop down like randomly, this with a ryzen 5 1600 and RTX 2060, 16 GB RAM and the game on SSD. 1080p

edit: forgot to mention. Low - Medium - High , it keeps doing the same

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
If anyone hasn't done so, you should check the demo for The Drifter.
Awesome first chapter! I can't wait for the final game.
I didn't play it because I figured it's the type of game I don't really need a demo for and I don't want to get spoiled.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Tried System Shock like 30 mins and it crashed and due you cannot save didn’t give it another chance. Few locations the framerate dropped sub 60 even after lowering graphic settings. I have 2080 Super, so it should not be the problem.

I hope they polish it for the final release.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Played a small bit of Outer Wilds from the Twitter freebie yesterday, but wasn't feeling it. Sat down for a session and before I really knew it, it's almost 5AM and the credits are rolling.

Great game, shame about the whole EGSclusive thing. Hope folks here are willing to give it a chance once it comes to Steam, because it really is a special game.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Great game, shame about the whole EGSclusive thing. Hope folks here are willing to give it a chance once it comes to Steam, because it really is a special game.
IDK how they do it but Annapurna always gets games that I want day one, so yeah, Outer Wilds will be a day one (if possible) once it comes to Steam.

Reactions: Wok

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Mor Can you please link that spreadsheet you made with EGS exclusives and when their exclusivity end? Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.