Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I can't follow that sort of logic at all. Why wouldn't want all games to be available everywhere?
I like having the same "property" ip to be completely different from one hardware to another.

Having exactly the same software available throughout different hardwares with the main difference being performances absolutely disminish the value of a console toward said game if the port doesn't take advantage of the added power or whatever is available, nor does it favor an unique aspect to a product tied to said hardware

Now you could say that this kind of thinking is kinda crazy given how multiplatform indies have exploded on Switch but I don't think they're mutually exclusive, its more the format of these games that are fitting quite perfectly on a handheld device imho (that being said, Steam's algorythm change didn't really help indie devs either), on top of being cheap by nature

it is that you would like the lead development platform to be on hardware powerful enough for the dev to complete their vision
Well, there's a little bit of this but mostly I like devices to have unique offers, which is effectively pushing studios to deliver. I loved the ps2 - xbox - gamecube - pc era because stuff was drastically different from one platform to another and it was all around awesome

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
You don't get it I think, its basically treating pc like second class citizens which until that point where Atlus decided to make more profit, were undeserving of having the game

Btw, Persona isn't available on other platforms too. I don't think its weird to have a brand you identify with if that's what you fancy in life, I'm just saying that it makes sense
I agreed it's shit being treated like second class citizens, but so do consoles and other platforms, Xbox owners is also treated like second class citizens with FFVII Remake, but also with a lot of other games, especially with Japanese games like Yakuza.

I still find it better to be treated like second class citizen that not receiving the game on the platform I want to play it on at all.

Both PS4 and Xbox are treated like second class citizen with different games due to exclusivity or that the devs are too small to develop for many platforms.

PC is very often still first class citizens with a lot of games, especially indie games.

I don't care for brand loyalty, I think all games should be accessible for all platforms.

Also, certain games like Persona 4 Golden is stuck on a dead platform like the Vita. A fantastic game like P4G should be available on as many platforms as possible. I don't even know anyone who sells a Vita anymore, so people who can't buy a Vita from a shop or rent/buy one from a friend wiill never be able to play P4G and that sucks.

I own a Vita and really like it, but Vita only games are stuck on a dead platform that is no longer sold.

It's a good thing devs/pubs sometimes releases games stuck on a dead platform on modern platforms like PC.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I agreed it's shit being treated like second class citizens, but so do consoles and other platforms, Xbox owners is also treated like second class citizens with FFVII Remake, but also with a lot of other games, especially with Japanese games like Yakuza.

I still find it better to be treated like second class citizen that not receiving the game on the platform I want to play it on at all.

Both PS4 and Xbox are treated like second class citizen with different games due to exclusivity or that the devs are too small to develop for many platforms.

PC is very often still first class citizens with a lot of games, especially indie games.

I don't care for brand loyalty, I think all games should be accessible for all platforms.

Also, certain games like Persona 4 Golden is stuck on a dead platform like the Vita. A fantastic game like P4G should be available on as many platforms as possible. I don't even know anyone who sells a Vita anymore, so people who can't buy a Vita from a shop or rent/buy one from a friend wiill never be able to play P4G and that sucks.

I own a Vita and really like it, but Vita only games are stuck on a dead platform that is no longer sold.

It's a good thing devs/pubs sometimes releases games stuck on a dead platform on modern platforms like PC.
That's fair and I can understand that, I just don't agree with it. It effectively gives P4G a golden status for more than one reason. our hobbie is not just softwares we want to play on the platform we want them on, it also has a healthy trading / collecting market and I would very much like to keep it that way. It makes games "themselves" even more special, and add a monetary value to it all

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
That's fair and I can understand that, I just don't agree with it. It effectively gives P4G a golden status for more than one reason. our hobbie is not just softwares we want to play on the platform we want them on, it also has a healthy trading / collecting market and I would very much like to keep it that way. It makes games "themselves" even more special, and add a monetary value to it all
I don't view it that way. I want to play a game, I will buy it and play it, that's it.

My hobby is just software, the 3 boxes under my TV (Switch, PS4P, XboneX) are just a bunch of plastic boxes where I play my software.

And what happens if my Vita dies? Well, then Im fucked and have to say goodbye to many games because they are stuck there. My dead Vita isn't something most people wanna trade, I bet.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
" I don't want games to be easily accessible to everyone regardless of platform because I want to profit from scarcity"
:blobyikes:

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I don't view it that way. I want to play a game, I will buy it and play it, that's it.

My hobby is just software, the 3 boxes under my TV (Switch, PS4P, XboneX) are just a bunch of plastic boxes where I play my software.

And what happens if my Vita dies? Well, then Im fucked and have to say goodbye to many games because they are stuck there. My dead Vita isn't something most people wanna trade, I bet.
Out of curiosity, you ever bought a used copy of a game, or rented one ?

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
It effectively gives P4G a golden status for more than one reason. our hobbie is not just softwares we want to play on the platform we want them on, it also has a healthy trading / collecting market and I would very much like to keep it that way. It makes games "themselves" even more special, and add a monetary value to it all
Eh, having P4G on a dead system with no support doesn't make it "special", it's gatekeeping more people from playing the game. I can understand it from a collector's viewpoint but I don't really like it since most collectors are usually hoarders and not interested in preservation.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
" I don't want games to be easily accessible to everyone regardless of platform because I want to profit from scarcity"
Ah yeah you can try to spin my argument around but that kind of shit doesn't fly friend. Collecting is a thing thats been around since the inception of technology
Eh, having P4G on a dead system with no support doesn't make it "special", it's gatekeeping more people from playing the game. I can understand it from a collector's viewpoint but I don't really like it since most collectors are usually hoarders and not interested in preservation.
Sure, give me a source for your claim and I'll consider it

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Got my G502 in. I like it, but why did Logitech decide to put a rough texture on the right side / bottom. It's so strange. It doesn't glide as smoothly as my G500s. At least it was only $30.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
You're the one mentioning the market and monetary value. No spin necessary, as it is literally what you said.
I gave a context toward trading / exchanging, you absolutely went ahead and wrote "profiting of scarcity" by being more than selective and adding a bonus in the form of an emote

Try again ?

Or you know stop being full of yourself

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
I gave a context toward trading / exchanging, you absolutely went ahead and wrote "profiting of scarcity" by being more than selective and adding a bonus in the form of an emote

Try again ?

Or you know stop being full of yourself
You think that trading/exchanging (you, know, the market), which exists to, you know, profit, is a somehow a good reason to keep games from platforms where people can appreciate them.

Once again,

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
You think that trading/exchanging (you, know, the market), which exists to, you know, profit, is a somehow a good reason to keep games from platforms where people can appreciate them.

Once again,

Yeah the whole exchange of trading / collecting solely resides in making profits instead of you know, either making a profit, exchanging, giving your collection away or whatever you can think of really

You're not very good at this friend. Yikes indeed
What do you want? I gave you a source on a prominent example, you didn't even read it by the minute I posted it. I still don't see how good games stuck on dead systems make them any special, but hey, that's on you to convince me at this point.
I've already pinpointed that, I asked you a source on the
since most collectors are usually hoarders and not interested in preservation.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Yeah the whole exchange of trading / collecting solely resides in making profits instead of you know, either making a profit, exchanging, giving your collection away or whatever you can think of really

You're not very good at this friend. Yikes indeed
Restricting the platforms a game is on is good...because you can give your collection away?

What

You're making less and less sense as you go.

Deleted member 113

Another game that recently launched without much "fanfare", and that sadly many people seem unaware of:

If anyone is in the mood for a top-down rogue-lite, with a ghostbusting spin, and graphics that look like they came from a 90's animation show, you could do a lot worse.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
Restricting the platforms a game is on is good...because you can give your collection away?

What

You're making less and less sense as you go.
Look you can go on as much as you want while desperately trying to corner me into your line of thinking, which will never happen, by trying to make me admit stuff I never said to begin with. Being overly haughty while focusing on one way of interpreting my words doesn't make anything I said anywhere close to accurate with how I meant it to be, which you explicitely pointed out for god knows why other than making me look stupid.

You're playing on semantics and definite statements, I've been saying that the collecting / exchanging aspect of the hobbie - market is an aspect that makes games special for more than one reason, because it gives them a collector aspect, to which people responded promptly by "but that's gatekeeping".

Said person I was talking to affirmed that for them, software was pretty much all that mattered, which implicitely says that :

there's no "sentimental" value of any sort, nor does the price / exchange aspect of it matters. I then asked if they ever bought an used copy or rented a game just to show that it was an arbitrary and self contradicting point of view that doesn't include other aspects of it all, no more no less. We can agree to disagree and call it a day

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
Look you can go on as much as you want while desperately trying to corner me into your line of thinking, which will never happen, while trying to make me admit stuff I never said to begin with by being overly haughty with one way of interpreting my words

You're playing on semantics and definite statements, I've been saying that the collecting / exchanging aspect of the hobbie - market is an aspect that makes games special for more than one reason, because it gives them a collector aspect, to which people responded promptly by "but that's gatekeeping".

Said person I was talking to affirmed that for them, software was pretty much all that mattered, which implicitely says that :

there's no "sentimental" value of any sort, nor does the price / exchange aspect of it matters. I then asked if they ever bought an used copy or rented a game just to show that it was an arbitrary point of view that doesn't include other aspects of it all, no more no less. We can agree to disagree and call it a day
You have continously failed to make any actual case for why restricting a game's audience is good and how collecting takes any part into it whatsoever. You do know that people collect multiplatform games too, yes? Like, a game being available in more than one places changes absolutely nothing about collecting or exchanging. If anything, the only thing it actually does is exactly what I said: profiting from scarcity. That's it.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
You have continously failed to make any actual case for why restricting a game's audience is good and how collecting takes any part into it whatsoever. You do know that people collect multiplatform games too, yes? Like, a game being available in more than one places changes absolutely nothing about collecting or exchanging. If anything, the only thing it actually does is exactly what I said: profiting from scarcity. That's it.
It doesn't because you STRICTLY limit yourt argument to profiting of scarcity and you know it. I'm implying from the get go that it gives reasons to get hardware and how it can give some games a collector status specifically because of that.

Our different point of views are not mutually exclusive. Some people collect games solely because of sentimental values or being collectors and not making a profit out of it down the line, there are more than one possible outcome to "scarcity" as you name it

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Out of curiosity, you ever bought a used copy of a game, or rented one ?
I rented a copy of Fallout 3 from a friend for X360 years ago, then I bought it myself on PC.

I have never knowlingly bought a used copy of a game and that Fallout 3 360 copy is the only game Ive ever rented.

I have a dead PSP that has a lot of games not sold digitally for Vita and that fucking sucks.

I have a dead PS2 and every time a dev/pub announced that they are releasing a PS2/Xbox only game on PC/modern platforms (ofted upped in resolution) I am super happy.

Reactions: Dandy and Sygmaelle

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I rented a copy of Fallout 3 from a friend for X360 years ago, then I bought it myself on PC.

I have never knowlingly bought a used copy of a game and that Fallout 3 360 copy is the only game Ive ever rented.

I have a dead PSP that has a lot of games not sold digitally for Vita and that fucking sucks.

I have a dead PS2 and every time a dev/pub announced that they are releasing a PS2/Xbox only game on PC/modern platforms (ofted upped in resolution) I am super happy.
Not interested at all in replacing your hardware then ?

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018

there's no "sentimental" value of any sort, nor does the price / exchange aspect of it matters. I then asked if they ever bought an used copy or rented a game just to show that it was an arbitrary and self contradicting point of view that doesn't include other aspects of it all, no more no less. We can agree to disagree and call it a day
What does buying used games have to do with titles being chained to one platform though? Also you can share digital games too (yes, legally). And are you against emulators because they besmirch the purity of exclusive games?

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I don't really see point in keeping games tied to dead systems, it's dumb even from a purely profit PoV, you want your back catalogue on active systems to keep monetizing it, either through porting to successive generations or backwards compatibility, the only reason why it would make sense is if the resources allocated for said project would give a better return if spent on something else.

I also don't see the point of keeping games tied to one platform outside of being the platform holder and using said games as leverage to introduce people to your ecosystem (i.e. God of War for PS and Xenoblade for Nintendo)
I can understand companies like NISA, Idea Factory and XSeed with limited resources who port games at a later date after targeting one system though.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
What does buying used games have to do with titles being chained to one platform though? Also you can share digital games too (yes, legally). And are you against emulators because they besmirch the purity of exclusive games?
I don't have anything toward emulators whatsoever. They do emulate these "dead platforms" for the lack of a better expression at the moment, you still don't own an original physical copy at the end of the day however. Very different things

it's dumb even from a purely profit PoV
I see that argument a lot, and I think it has more than one dimension when it comes down to the notion of profit itself. Games are engineered softwares and an expression of art or whatever, profit isn't necessarily the end of a release. It can simply be for the sake of expression, like "regular" art in a sense. Collecting / trading also has that aspect in spades and you'll find a lot of nostalgic people quite frequently indulging in that. It can be the price of an ancient idea at a time and what it meant by then, which is more important for some than making a profit of it by releasing it again as of now

I don't know really, I'm not an expert but I appreciate the nuances. I like the meaning behind it

Last edited:

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
Late, but there's indeed a ton of really fantastic - I'd argue even classic - games that got their start, or are stuck, on the Vita. The best version of Muramasa: The Demon Blade? Stuck on Vita with the DLC. Soul Sacrifice Delta, the game that Comcept made that's honest-to-god one of my favorite games of all time? Vita exclusive. Persona 4 Golden was already mentioned, of course.

There's plenty of other games that either started out as Vita-only (and then either got ported, or came over in multiple forms in the west). Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Danganronpa, SaGa: Scarlet Grace, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, Shiren the Wanderer 5+, etc.

I'm probably a certifiable Vita fanboy, but I'm not gonna be mad if all of the Vita's "exclusives" get ported over to other systems. While I absolutely love the Vita hardware, hardware alone doesn't mean jack without games to back it up. The Vita has one of the best and most varied libraries of any handheld, punching well above its weight in sales. I'd love for more people to be able to play some of these games!

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I understood Sygmaelle originally to mean that you like the experience of having, say, Nintendo games tied to a certain Nintendo console. Likewise with Playstation, etc. Like you enjoy the experience around that where over it's lifespan the exclusivity of games gives the machine and the experience a sort of character and memorability. I may misunderstand you.

Reactions: Sygmaelle

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Got my G502 in. I like it, but why did Logitech decide to put a rough texture on the right side / bottom. It's so strange. It doesn't glide as smoothly as my G500s. At least it was only $30.
Do you have an issue with it the wheel being over sensitive when it is not locked?

Maybe it's because of the way I play games or something but the mouse just feels weird. There is a snipe button, which was of some actual use to me (I played TF2 earlier and I was able to get 8 kills as Sniper, that is pretty crazy for me). But it's placed in a way that would require some thought from me to get a hold off. When I play stuff like TF2 and just FPS games in general on PC I only use to guns/weapons and now have it where Q is how I switch weapons (Valve-sama taught me this), But when you add more than 2 weapons and I am in a fire fight I panic and I am not able to switch to the third weapon. You can switch to weapons with the number keys but it just feels unnatural for me to reach out for them.

I am going to return it since It just feels "off". I have no idea how this mouse is very popular. Even the way that I hold it feels off. The mouse has a curve to it and I hold my mouse in a curve as well, so you have a curve on top of another curve is going to have issues. I don't sit right in front of stuff and sort of slouch, most of the time my hand is typically near the end of my desk (well the end part of my palm).

Now I am not sure if I should go with the Logitech G403 or the Logitech Pro Gaming Mouse they both are sort of similar and cost about the same amount of money.

I am also in the process of getting a new keyboard. Mine is not that great and when I was playing TF2 earlier my backspace button was acting up (I am still using a membrane keyboard). I was thinking of getting the G513 but the fact that it does not have dedicated media playback is an issue for me. A volume button is a must for me on a key board!!! I was thinking of giving it a pass because you could inverse the function keys via software but it doesn't seem like it's a per key thing and then that would mean I couldn't do Nvidia Shadowplay stuff and Steam screenshots. The palm rest did look nice tough. So I no have my eyes set on the G815, which cost a wopping $200USD.... oh, and I mainly want it for lightsync (even though I don't think that many games support it).

As for a mouse pad I think I am going to be getting a G440 mousepad.

Why am I buying all of these logitech stuff even though there are others out there that sell stuff for a cheaper price? Lightsync, that is basically it. Now to figure out how to sync with DualShock4 controller with it. Oh Sony the things that you could do.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Late, but there's indeed a ton of really fantastic - I'd argue even classic - games that got their start, or are stuck, on the Vita. The best version of Muramasa: The Demon Blade? Stuck on Vita with the DLC. Soul Sacrifice Delta, the game that Comcept made that's honest-to-god one of my favorite games of all time? Vita exclusive. Persona 4 Golden was already mentioned, of course.

There's plenty of other games that either started out as Vita-only (and then either got ported, or came over in multiple forms in the west). Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, Danganronpa, SaGa: Scarlet Grace, Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk, Shiren the Wanderer 5+, etc.

I'm probably a certifiable Vita fanboy, but I'm not gonna be mad if all of the Vita's "exclusives" get ported over to other systems. While I absolutely love the Vita hardware, hardware alone doesn't mean jack without games to back it up. The Vita has one of the best and most varied libraries of any handheld, punching well above its weight in sales. I'd love for more people to be able to play some of these games!
I use to be a Vita fanboy (I still plan to eventually pick another one up since my current one is not in that good of a condition) but ya, games being stuck on it is not really going to help anyone. Especially with Sony not really caring about a successor to it?
every time someone mentions this game I get confused with Soukou Akki Muramasa, and then I get depressed because I am reminded that game will never get localized :crying-face:
why licensing issues? or it's just extremely niche?

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I understood Sygmaelle originally to mean that you like the experience of having, say, Nintendo games tied to a certain Nintendo console. Likewise with Playstation, etc. Like you enjoy the experience around that where over it's lifespan the exclusivity of games gives the machine and the experience a sort of character and memorability. I may misunderstand you.
its exactly that yeah

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
It's weird, but while there are certainly games that I associate with my love for the PSP and Vita, I think the thing that stands out the most to me has to be how both of the systems both really benefited from an extensive modding scene. Both eventually got cheap alternatives to their proprietary storage, awesome OC tools and game/system plugins, and more.

...is it really experiencing the game "on original hardware as intended" if you overclock the hardware to iron out performance?
:thinking-blob:

Reactions: Sygmaelle

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
It's weird, but while there are certainly games that I associate with my love for the PSP and Vita, I think the thing that stands out the most to me has to be how both of the systems both really benefited from an extensive modding scene. Both eventually got cheap alternatives to their proprietary storage, awesome OC tools and game/system plugins, and more.

...is it really experiencing the game "on original hardware as intended" if you overclock the hardware to iron out performance?
:thinking-blob:
I mean yeah, you're still running it on these particular beloved handheld devices. Giving more room to have a better experience on that hardware doesn't alter the original vision I think

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Do you have an issue with it the wheel being over sensitive when it is not locked?
I haven't had an issue with the mouse wheel yet, but I am used to this style of wheel. The Snipe/DPI button is neat, I might turn that into a Melee button or something. There are definitely some weird design decisions, though. I'm going to miss my g500s.

When I play stuff like TF2 and just FPS games in general on PC I only use to guns/weapons and now have it where Q is how I switch weapons (Valve-sama taught me this), But when you add more than 2 weapons and I am in a fire fight I panic and I am not able to switch to the third weapon. You can switch to weapons with the number keys but it just feels unnatural for me to reach out for them.
The number keys never felt natural for me, either. I taught myself to use the bottom row of keys instead (xcv), good if you're just swapping between two or three weapons. I doubt it's something most people would like, but I got used to them since they were my Winamp hotkeys...

Reactions: PC-tan

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Late, but there's indeed a ton of really fantastic - I'd argue even classic - games that got their start, or are stuck, on the Vita. The best version of Muramasa: The Demon Blade? Stuck on Vita with the DLC
Could you elaborate on why this version is the best? What's wrong with the PS4 port?
EDIT: Oh wait, Muramasa is stuck on Wii/Vita, I think I was thinking about Odin Sphere...

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I am going to return it since It just feels "off". I have no idea how this mouse is very popular.
No one knows, forget the G502, even if you like the basic shape there are superior choices like the Razer Basilisk. Speaking of shape, some people own dozens of mice and change them frequently, it can be an endless search for perfection so don't worry about not being able to handle a mouse people recommend (the G403 for example has a rather high hump towards the back, some hate that). There are different grip styles (mainly fingertip, clawgrip, palmgrip) that people use and some mice just aren't usable with the 'wrong' one and then there's size, most gamers eventually go smaller overtime because it gives better control and if you don't have huge hands I'd avoid the big stuff like the G503 or Razer Deathadder right away.

I don't have anything toward emulators whatsoever. They do emulate these "dead platforms" for the lack of a better expression at the moment, you still don't own an original physical copy at the end of the day however. Very different things
So Persona 5 releasing only digitally on PC would be fine because you want exclusive physical versions? I'm really trying here but the jump from 'I want to collect stuff physically' (which I 100% get) to 'that's why I want certain games to be on one platform only' is what throws me off completely. Mainly because it means that one derives pleasure from others not having access to something and not from the games themselves. Getting for example a Vita right now isn't a big problem, but it will become one sooner or later. And then there's the issue of digital-only exclusives, the more content gets spread around the bigger the chance we won't lose it.

It's different if a title is tailored towards a system and couldn't work anywhere else without major compromises but that's extremely rare these days, 3DS got such games and now VR obviously. Star Citizen maybe. But certainly not Persona 5. And we've seen so many series go multiplatform with older titles getting converted and all the screaming about how wrong they'll feel on xyz and then they release and we're just enjoying them. I own a Vita and P4G on module but I'd be all for a port. Or let's take World Ends With You, rather unique with features only doable on the 3DS, yet now we have Switch and mobile versions too with some changes. Collectors can still collect the original module, everyone else has easy access to it on (some) current systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeejayDoom

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I understand why businesses have exclusives, but it is purely illogical for a gamer to want that other than wanting some underdog platform to survive (which is pretty irrational, but at least in the realm of logic).

It is only correct to want all games on all platforms.

Analogy: Now you could also tell me that you enjoyed games more when you could only buy 1 a year or just wanting games made them more enjoyable and now that you can immediately have whatever you want, you miss that desire. That's rational, but that's personal psychological stuff only. It doesn't make for a rational argument: "Gamers should only be able to buy one game a year"

Reactions: NarohDethan

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Panzer Dragoon Saga is tied to a platform that’s been dead for 20 years and that sucks. I want to play the game, not have the ‘Sega experience’ of having to buy a Saturn and a copy of the game that would cost me literally a year of rent.

Identity and branding is for corporations, and people really shouldnt let that get into our heads, because that’s how they get away little by little with nasty shit. Sony had the gall to start charging for online after suffering one of the most embarrassing network hacks in history, and they got away with that by ‘owning’ Microsoft at E3. People were literally cheering for them.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Panzer Dragoon Saga is tied to a platform that’s been dead for 20 years and that sucks. I want to play the game, not have the ‘Sega experience’ of having to buy a Saturn and a copy of the game that would cost me literally a year of rent.
Emulation is quite good these days. I have one of the few Panzer Dragoon Saga copies but I don't think anyone should ever buy my copy -- and not because I actually covet it.

It's never going to get ported, so you might as well just enjoy it.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Emulation is quite good these days. I have one of the few Panzer Dragoon Saga copies but I don't think anyone should ever buy my copy -- and not because I actually covet it.

It's never going to get ported, so you might as well just enjoy it.
Yeah I’ve been trying to research more about emulators for Saturn but I havent given myself my time to do it.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah I’ve been trying to research more about emulators for Saturn but I havent given myself my time to do it.
SSF (easy enough to set up) or Mednafen (if you cba to command line you need to get a separate GUI, I use Mednaffe but it hasn't been updated in a while) or the Beetle core in RetroArch (which is Mednafen without the hassle of getting separate GUI) are near perfect in most games I've tried so far. Both however are mostly about the native accurate experience, no real improvements possible beyond SSF's deinterlacing and true transparencies switch, outside just adding things like scanlines and crt shaders or whatever you like on that front (most choices are in RA). But that's how I like my Saturn, I've not really cared to try a couple other emus that do offer higher resolution rendering and other such stuff but I don't think any of them are as good as these overall yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: NarohDethan

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga in 2000 for 135DM. Good move.
I sold Panzer Dragoon Saga in 2009 for 99€. Terrible move.

Not gonna check eBay for some of the other stuff I sold around that time, I know I could get 2-3x as much for Conker N64 now. Btw. despite it getting ported and enhanced.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I bought Panzer Dragoon Saga in 2000 for 135DM. Good move.
I sold Panzer Dragoon Saga in 2009 for 99€. Terrible move.

Not gonna check eBay for some of the other stuff I sold around that time, I know I could get 2-3x as much for Conker N64 now. Btw. despite it getting ported and enhanced.
I bought it for $35 US from Funcoland in 1999. Even then it was worth $200 US. I was amazed the clerk didn't deny me the copy and ring it up for himself as soon as he realized they had a copy.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
Also, exclusivity only favors corporations. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
Its funny because some labels are staying exclusive to their schtick precisely to avoid ending up and / or becoming part of corporations

Totalitarism gets you nowhere

Status
Not open for further replies.