Community MetaSteam | December 2019 - Halo! Is It Me You're Looking For?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
Sekrio's game community doesn't represent itself well when someone HAPPENS to have the opposite opinion of the features and merits of the game. I mean holy shit, never have people been so proud to gate keep, double down on that gatekeeping and at the same time extol their own virutes... "The community is why people love Fromsoftware games!!" "We have the best community"

No you fucking don't, stop lying. Congrats btw, Sekiro is garbage and so is Fromsoftware. How do I know? Well, I don't, as I've never played one of their games. But the trash pile of fucks that make up their 'community'? Nothing good inspired those people.

Edit: "The community" is those in the sub reddit, various forums treating the game like a religious experience, a scared bastion of developer vision and artistic merit that the relief from anger and frustration and hand cramps are why you beat bosses." Garbage gamers.
The funny part is that Sekiro is honestly one of the easiest 3d action games when you realise that you can literally lock bosses in the same attack patterns until they die

I like to think about From Software games as pattern thinking microcosms. Their design philosophy solely rely on that in boss battles, then you come to understand that shit is wacked and nowhere near hard when you play hyper aggressively. My first soulsborne game (god I hate that term) was Bloodborne + DLC and honestly, 3 bosses in the whole thing actually gave me troubles because of arbitrary design decisions that I refused to acknowledge :p

But ultimately these games are using apprehension as the main "block". When you clear your mind of that notion and go extra hard as fuck, these games are utter jokes. The hardest boss battle in Sekiro or even Bloodborne for instance (final boss - orphan of kos respectively) don't hold a SINGLE candle to any savage raid boss in FF XIV since heavensward. Because when you do these at the "tuned" value, nobody can make a mistake and there's triple the amount of mechanics.

People just like to talk about From like they're any special but mostly what the company did was banking on a hardcore setting when games started getting more and more casuals / hardcore 2D games stopped getting attention altogether. Anybody saying otherwise is a goddamn fool

edit : whats even funnier is that the only legitimately hardcore game in the series (Dark Souls 2) is the one that is hated the most. CAPITAL G GAMERS AM I RIGHT

Reactions: sanhora and MJunioR

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm deadass. Your shit inspires such rabid nastiness, it isn't worth it to try to "understand" it. Srry not srry. I've got a really nasty history with 'esteemed elements' of that community on another forum. Soured me to ever even hearing that word.
There is nothing nasty about a community that is gatekeeping a series of amazing video games. Games that have inspired the entire industry for the past decade. Games that are reviewing well, selling well and now winning industry awards.

Yet people want to change them. Make them more accessible. Make them easier etc...

Nah. The games FromSoftware makes don't need to change anything. In fact Elden Ring needs to be less accessible and even more difficult. There needs to be an entire new ocean of tears of people crying about it all too. That is how it should be and that is how it will be. Fuck all that other shit.

And sorry you are so upset about this. You should play their games from the past 10 years because they are all amazing. As is all the amazing DLC they released for them. You will appreciate the developer a lot and understand why people love them so much. You may even fall in love with the community which consists of incredible content creators, modders, speedrunners and wiki enthusiasts.

The developer is easily the best thing the gaming industry has going for it today. There was so many Souls and Sekiro clones released in 2019 its not even funny. The 2nd half of this year had everything from indie, B, AA and AAA games released that were clones of From games. The influence has reached ridiculous levels. It shouldn't be too hard to understand why people gatekeep this genre.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
There is nothing nasty about a community that is gatekeeping a series of amazing video games. Games that have inspired the entire industry for the past decade. Games that are reviewing well, selling well and now winning industry awards.

Yet people want to change them. Make them more accessible. Make them easier etc...

Nah. The games FromSoftware makes don't need to change anything. In fact Elden Ring needs to be less accessible and even more difficult. There needs to be an entire new ocean of tears of people crying about it all too. That is how it should be and that is how it will be. Fuck all that other shit.

And sorry you are so upset about this. You should play their games from the past 10 years because they are all amazing. As is all the amazing DLC they released for them. You will appreciate the developer a lot and understand why people love them so much. You may even fall in love with the community which consists of incredible content creators, modders, speedrunners and wiki enthusiasts.

The developer is easily the best thing the gaming industry has going for it today. There was so many Souls and Sekiro clones released in 2019 its not even funny. The 2nd half of this year had everything from indie, B, AA and AAA games released that were clones of From games. The influence has reached ridiculous levels. It shouldn't be too hard to understand why people gatekeep this genre.
That's a reach if I ever saw one. Harder fromsoft games already exist, just load up Tenchu

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
On another note, with the year coming to an end a new one starting, how about we shake up the format of the Steam thread a bit?
Some of us must have some fresh ideas on new types of challenges or something, not just coasting on MRORANGE's format forever.
We definitely could tighten up the graphics on level 3, by which I mean new art for the OP stuff.

Make it our own, instead of something borrowed.

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
It depends on how long you are ready to wait for the cards to be sold.

Also, what do you call "market value"?
  • If it is the lowest sell order, then I would suggest using that, it is a good starting value.
  • If it is the highest buy order, then no for most cases.
PS: start by listing your foil cards.

Honestly, even the lowest sell order is optimistic when it comes to foil cards unless one intends to wait indeterminate amount of time.

Reactions: MegaApple

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Health care in the US sucks. Since I have a new job I was offered a health care plan that I can sign up for though my employer. The issue is that it doesn't seem to cover much at all, and then there is also the dental and vision care stuff. So I do need glasses but I know where to look so I just need to play at most $150USD every two years for a pair of glasses (I assume that is cheap compared to other places in the US) and as for Dental well I have a lot of stuff that I need done to my teeth and from the looks of it the most that it will cover (for just the dental option) is 50% copay after 1 year and even then the most that they will pay is $750USD... Ya no I save more from buying a dental discount card (I can get one for about $100USD and have saved over $1kUSD on dental stuff already)...

Luckily I don't get sick that often so I don't need to see the doctor often and when I do it usually doesn't cost me that much because of my low income, My income is increasing but even then I think I will still be cheaper to just not get it.

And while health insurance is legally required in the US I am exempt from it since I don't qualify for it.

I remember when getting hit with a $2K USD medical bill to remove my appendix freaked me out (oh and after 3 years I finally payed this bill off)

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019

Exhibit fucking A of the type of gatekeeper who reflects well on the community. It isn't that special for you to fucking say that accessibility doesn't matter and hell fucking yes difficulty=accessibility. Btw, nice job framing people who have one issue or another as "an ocean of tears". Cool and excellent.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
On another note, with the year coming to an end a new one starting, how about we shake up the format of the Steam thread a bit?
Some of us must have some fresh ideas on new types of challenges or something, not just coasting on MRORANGE's format forever.
We definitely could tighten up the graphics on level 3, by which I mean new art for the OP stuff.

Make it our own, instead of something borrowed.
Yeah we should do something! Not that I mind the op since I never really look at it haha, here for the discussion. But yeah it would be nice if we started being ourselves.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Exhibit fucking A of the type of gatekeeper who reflects well on the community. It isn't that special for you to fucking say that accessibility doesn't matter and hell fucking yes difficulty=accessibility. Btw, nice job framing people who have one issue or another as "an ocean of tears". Cool and excellent.
No one would give a shit about their games if they were easy. The entire appeal of Souls games is that you can go from being on top of the world to being dead in a second. Every enemy is a threat. The world is designed to kill you. Staying alive is rewarding and dying carries consequences.

If people can't handle the difficulty and difficulty spikes then they should just watch a lets play on youtube. People spend way too much time crying about this stuff on the internet. Get good and beat the game. Or cheese/cheat your way through them. Or just move on with your life by playing anything else. There are actual people who love this genre and are passionate about the design/experience of these games. Let them enjoy it. No need to piss all over a directors vision because something is inaccessible to you.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Haha same, I got my first foil in 14 years of using Steam, for Saga Scarlet Grace. And there's no sell history for it at all.
Damn, an anime foil will carry you in the winter seal if you manage to sell it though. My foil is from Kopanito Soccer something :confounded-face:

Although, I'd like to clarify that there's a high possibility that I already spent all my luck earlier this year since I got two anime foils back in June I think (when I said 'first foil' I mean the first for this idling season)

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Damn, an anime foil will carry you in the winter seal if you manage to sell it though. My foil is from Kopanito Soccer something :confounded-face:

Although, I'd like to clarify that there's a high possibility that I already spent all my luck earlier this year since I got two anime foils back in June I think (when I said 'first foil' I mean the first for this idling season)
I remember getting a Danganronpa 2 foil at launch and selling it for $16. I only paid $28 for the game itself and ended up making $20 of that back from trading cards. Anime foils are crazy.

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
No one would give a shit about their games if they were easy. The entire appeal of Souls games is that you can go from being on top of the world to being dead in a second. Every enemy is a threat. The world is designed to kill you. Staying alive is rewarding and dying carries consequences.

If people can't handle the difficulty and difficulty spikes then they should just watch a lets play on youtube. People spend way too much time crying about this stuff on the internet. Get good and beat the game. Or cheese/cheat your way through them. Or just move on with your life by playing anything else. There are actual people who love this genre and are passionate about the design/experience of these games. Let them enjoy it. No need to piss all over a directors vision because something is inaccessible to you.
Lol of the directors vision. Fine but no one is above criticism and you can't silence criticism or critique by saying "director/artistic/dev vision" a million times.

Reactions: lashman

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018

I played, finished and enjoyed most of them and I did not even found them particularly hard to be honest but I'll never agree with this. They are great games but kinda shit cultural works, which is something videogames should strive for as a medium if we want half the world to stop considering them as toys for children of very dumb adults.

They are crappy cultural works because they cannot be enjoyed by someone who would love to but is unable to due to inexperience, age, cultural background or any other variable.

They should have an easier mode. Because they're great games with great writing and great art and great level design and have nothing less noble than the best Gothic book or movie and they should experienced by anyone who wants to.

This moronic aura of "true gameZ for true gamerZ" isn't good for anybody other than From and whoever the publisher is for a particular game because it helps selling copies to those who feel they need to prove themselves and the world that they're worthy of the PhD in "true gameZ master".

An easier mode next to the standard one, which is the games as they are now, wouldn't make the games worse for anybody other than those idiots who feel part of some sort of elite because they completed a game few people can complete. The challenge, the satisfaction and everything, when playing the "standard mode" would be completely untouched.

Anyone can read Shakespeare, anyone can watch a 7-hour Bela Tarr movie, anyone can admire a beautiful painting, just a small group of people can completely understand what makes those particular works masterpieces, but everyone can enjoy them, and that doesn't make them less of a masterpiece, just universal and relevant. The same would apply to fucking From Software games.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
One easy way of having Souls games be accessible is just don't let anything one shot you. And that's it, no need to tweak everything else.

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
One easy way of having Souls games be accessible is just don't let anything one shot you. And that's it, no need to tweak everything else.
Absolutely nothing one shots you unless you're lvl 1, souls games are made from the ground up to allow mistakes done by players. That whole mystique around this kind of point needs to seriously die somewhere because it's not truthful as an experience defining element

Durante will do later on !

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
which is something videogames should strive for as a medium if we want half the world to stop considering them as toys for children of very dumb adults.
I don't really care about that, like, at all. If people wanna remain ignorant and be judgemental to a whole medium and derogatorily call it a toy be my guest, it's neither my loss nor am I going to feel embarrassed over it. And there are tons upon tons upon tons of games that aren't hard in this manner and are still compelling for those people to have a chance to appreciate the medium, it doesn't suddenly all hinge on Sekiro and Souls and other relatively niche titles becoming more accessible. Not all games have to be that and some games have actual game design and nuance to them that is not easy to adopt to be easier in any meaningful manner, or at least it can easily be what its creators believe. Games have engaging gameplay because of a multitude of elements, taking one out like say, the timing required in these Souls-likes, to make it manageable by people who can't play them as they are may not only make them manageable by them but also devoid of any gameplay value whatsoever even for them as they can then easily get bored of just mashing buttons and winning since that's apparently what should be possible for these games to stop being "problematic" in this manner. And demanding developers do more than something as simple as that is also against the realities of game development where things are always cut because of this or that reason, never mind making balancing two completely different difficulties in a way that still provides gameplay value to their target audience obligatory. There are games that are too hard for me, it's ok.

Last edited:

Sygmaelle

MetaMember
Sep 8, 2019
I mean, moving on because you can't succeed at doing something is a very valuable lesson in itself to begin with. Now, it could also cost less than full AAA price at release

skLaFarebear

MetaMember
Dec 4, 2019
Souls talk reminds me I haven't touched Sekiro yet.
It looks pretty good and it's gotten some good sales, but honestly every time i get in the mood for a souls styled From game I just feel like booting up Bloodborne instead.

Wasn't too into DS3 when i started playing it, but I've been doing coop DS3 blind with a friend who's well experienced in it though and it's been really fun.

Reactions: freshVeggie

Trisolarian

Jul 12, 2019
To be very honest, my biggest bone is two fold;

1: That difficulty and accessibility are separate. This simply isn't the case. Now, I understand why people bristle at this, plenty of people with disabilities love these games and play them just fine. Accessibility is a catch all term too, which leads to problems. Is it closed captions? Colorblind modes? Rebinding of Keys? Difficulty settings? Save states? Well, its all of those things, and difficulty is just part of accessibility.

2: Using disabled gamers who succeed at the game to bulldoze the concerns of people with a different disability/injury or simply to belittle lesser skilled/time limited gamers. Shitty as fuck practice to use people as props.

These two things that bug me bug me for any game released in the industry, Sekrio just happened to be the game this year that ignited the debate and featured some very persistent defenders. If it had been another game, I would be saying the same about that other game. Sekrio just happened to be in the place and time for this.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
lashman has become for LiS2 what Jawmuncher has become for Dino Crisis as in whenever someone farts out a tweet about it I see it on my timeline.
that's absolutely not true ... i only retweet the good ones

also - more than one person cares about LiS2 (unlike DC) ;)

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
It looks pretty good and it's gotten some good sales, but honestly every time i get in the mood for a souls styled From game I just feel like booting up Bloodborne instead.

Wasn't too into DS3 when i started playing it, but I've been doing coop DS3 blind with a friend who's well experienced in it though and it's been really fun.
Oh snap, totally blocked BB from memory. One day baby. One day.
DS3 was sweet, glad you enjoy it.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

Hm, after having seen the light of ultrawide gaming (and everything else), it feels like a step back going 16:9 but man, the prices are so much better.
And even relatively cheap ones are offering FreeSync and 144Hz these days. Might go that route for next build.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Hm, after having seen the light of ultrawide gaming (and everything else), it feels like a step back going 16:9 but man, the prices are so much better.
And even relatively cheap ones are offering FreeSync and 144Hz these days. Might go that route for next build.
I just got a Freesync / Gsync compatible 144hz monitor for a bit more than $100. Prices are going to be crazy when you're ready to buy.

It's not the greatest monitor in the world, but that's because an ultra wide is endgame.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
You can get good 1440p/144Hz IPS monitors for $300 these days, and more and more cards are better suited for 1440p than 1080p. It's getting to be a great time to make the jump to a better monitor!

Reactions: PC-tan

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Concerning Dark Souls and the like, I'm against them becoming easier. And that has already happened, in DS3 you can dodge roll 7 times with base stamina instead of 2, and animations are MUCH faster in general; especially recovery times after attacks where you don't have to wait half as long as in DS2 (which also happened to be a much slower game), invincibility frames are also much more generous... and since you get way more of them, yeah.

Buuut... why not adding options more in line with the flavor of the game?
Let players summon an OP NPC for bosses and exploration. Even better, let it get progressively stronger.
Make bonfires more common, and better placed.

See? Such amazing ideas that they've already been in the games since day one.
They just need to be made baseline everywhere instead of "lol use an item to see the summon mark because inventory management is fun" and "what is a checkpoint Lost Izalith is totes fine and well designed".

There really is no reason why a game can't be really difficult but also takes the hand of the player to complete what they cannot. If you don't want the assist block, don't take it.
And stop butchering games to be more "accessible" when it means making them interactive movies. Enough with the unskippable cut scenes, tutorials, and forced walking sections.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018
The funny part is that Sekiro is honestly one of the easiest 3d action games when you realise that you can literally lock bosses in the same attack patterns until they die

I like to think about From Software games as pattern thinking microcosms. Their design philosophy solely rely on that in boss battles, then you come to understand that shit is wacked and nowhere near hard when you play hyper aggressively. My first soulsborne game (god I hate that term) was Bloodborne + DLC and honestly, 3 bosses in the whole thing actually gave me troubles because of arbitrary design decisions that I refused to acknowledge :p

But ultimately these games are using apprehension as the main "block". When you clear your mind of that notion and go extra hard as fuck, these games are utter jokes. The hardest boss battle in Sekiro or even Bloodborne for instance (final boss - orphan of kos respectively) don't hold a SINGLE candle to any savage raid boss in FF XIV since heavensward. Because when you do these at the "tuned" value, nobody can make a mistake and there's triple the amount of mechanics.

People just like to talk about From like they're any special but mostly what the company did was banking on a hardcore setting when games started getting more and more casuals / hardcore 2D games stopped getting attention altogether. Anybody saying otherwise is a goddamn fool

edit : whats even funnier is that the only legitimately hardcore game in the series (Dark Souls 2) is the one that is hated the most. CAPITAL G GAMERS AM I RIGHT
I feel like you're downplaying their difficulty a lot. I couldn't get far in either DS1 or Sekiro, but I was able to finish Metal Gear Rising on Hard, or Vampyr without eating anyone. From titles are much harder than most similar games. They have some obscure mechanics or items you'll never find out about without a guide, your character is incredibly weak (at least at the beginning), bosses require learning some complicated patterns and perform specific actions with little or no margin for error, all things that are very frustrating for me.

I don't like this idea that they are the baseline difficulty and every other franchise is a piece of cake. To me they are closer to the "bullshit" mark of the difficulty scale than the middle one.

Status
Not open for further replies.