Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The gamepass app has been updating a lot for me over the past couple weeks. Did it update for you?

Any time I have issues with it I just uninstall it and reinstall. Usually solves all issues. The thing that's been pissing me off lately is it forces me to sign in everytime I launch it. It didn't do that earlier this and last year :(
No updates available according to winstore.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The juxtaposition of the manhole cover post and the XBox GP App is eerie. Literally unplayable to actually unplayable.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

amazon shipping when you don't have prime and can't stop looking :expressionless-face:

So the game pass app has suddenly stopped working here. Black screen with the Xbox logo looking like it's loading as usual then the logo goes away and everything is just black.

I hate this. I hate that I cannot trust the app to start a game today and not knowing wherever or not I can continue playing the game tommorrow. Like, what if I started Wasteland 3 a few days ago, 30 hours in or whatever and now I suddenly can't continue playing it because the fucking app won't load up.

Fuck.

Made a gif:

tbf, you don't really need the app, right?

I say as I can't start the Spotify UWP app. It took a bit longer for me to launch the xbox app, but it seems it prompted an update after that.

• Sad
  • Eyes
Reactions: lashman and ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

amazon shipping when you don't have prime and can't stop looking :expressionless-face:

Greedfall won't open either, so I was suppose to check the app to see if there was any update or reinstall I can do because the winstore app itself have never worked for me.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Regardless of all the memes, I am annoyed at Cyberpunk (additionally to the awful corporation behind it) Every Streamer/Yter and their grandmother is streaming the game and the normal content is left behind.

• Sad
Reactions: Tomasety

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Sounds like Medal of Honor VR is a hot mess, shame :(

Stupid high price (£10 more expensive on Steam than Oculus btw!) and ridiculous spec reqs

EDIT: Read through impressions on Era, this thing sounds fucking ROUGH.
Also no video settings! So I've got no chance of running it then given the specs

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Random thought: it's really nice how the Steam sale page for TGA has winners readily available going back all the way to 2014.
Gives at least some hope from a long-term preservation perspective.

Instant boycott, they went too far.
Pfft people don't understand that this is obviously a subtle bit of worldbuilding to show the dangers of lax safety standards and deterioration of public works in the hyper-capitalist society portrayed in the game.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Cyberpunk is still near 1 million concurrent on steam going on 3rd day since release. It really was the perfect storm for CDPR. The delay was brilliant because they didn't have to compete with anything at all.

There is nothing else releasing this month or even next month. Its all gonna be Cyberpunk if you want to play something new. And then there is steam sales where they will also clean up.

Also not giving console review codes will go down as one of the smartest things ever in this situation lol. They will probably patch things quietly but right now I bet they really just want to do next gen versions with bells + whistles.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Greedfall won't open either won't open either, so went to the app to see if there was any update or reinstall I can do because the winstore app itself have never worked for me.
Yeah, I don't know. I wish it were easier to figure out issues with Windows and UWPs.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety and ISee

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Cyberpunk is still near 1 million concurrent on steam going on 3rd day since release. It really was the perfect storm for CDPR. The delay was brilliant because they didn't have to compete with anything at all.

There is nothing else releasing this month or even next month. Its all gonna be Cyberpunk if you want to play something new. And then there is steam sales where they will also clean up.

Also not giving console review codes will go down as one of the smartest things ever in this situation lol. They will probably patch things quietly but right now I bet they really just want to do next gen versions with bells + whistles.
To be fair, they could've delayed to polish it until well into next year, and they'd still have been the biggest release in whatever time slot they're in. I don't know about the review code thing. Smart from their perspective for sure, but Blands 3 did something similar and it was not a good look there either from a player's perspective.

DF said it quite well about it seeming to harken back to PS2/360 era open-world games with its mid-20s frame rate on consoles. Seems like it's pretty rough on the now last-gen consoles, and I suspect getting it to the somewhat playable state it's in now was a not an insignificant part of the delays. I'll be interested to see how it runs on the original Xbox One, because it dropped to 720p on a PS4 already. It will be firmly in Switch territory in terms of performance and less than ideal image quality for sure.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
And in another SEGA news, if someone here took part of "TOTAL WAR: ELYSIUM CLOSED BETA" you can claim a free total war game copy (Eligible games: Total War: NAPOLEON Definitive Edition, Total War: EMPIRE Definitive Edition ,Total War: MEDIEVAL II Definitive Edition and Total War: THREE KINGDOMS) following the instructions on Thank You for Taking Part in the Total War: ELYSIUM Closed Beta - Total War
Nice! I own none of these. I have to choose one. :thinking:

Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content
Edit: 👌

Last edited:
Reactions: Tomasety and Stevey

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I still find it funny how some people expected CP to peak at somewhere between 200-500k users because of the store split between Steam, GOG and EGS. Yet it has been sitting at around 800k the whle day and now almost 1 million.

So even people here who regularly uses Steam underestimated Steams reach.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
To be fair, they could've delayed to polish it until well into next year, and they'd still have been the biggest release in whatever time slot they're in. I don't know about the review code thing. Smart from their perspective for sure, but Blands 3 did something similar and it was not a good look there either from a player's perspective.

DF said it quite well about it seeming to harken back to PS2/360 era open-world games with its mid-20s frame rate on consoles. Seems like it's pretty rough on the now last-gen consoles, and I suspect getting it to the somewhat playable state it's in now was a not an insignificant part of the delays. I'll be interested to see how it runs on the original Xbox One, because it dropped to 720p on a PS4 already. It will be firmly in Switch territory in terms of performance and less than ideal image quality for sure.
They say a picture is worth more than a thousand words or something like that.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I still find it funny how some people expected CP to peak at somewhere between 200-500k users because of the store split between Steam, GOG and EGS. Yet it has been sitting at around 800k the whle day and now almost 1 million.

Hopefully other big devs like Rockstar see these numbers and might consider releasing GTA6 on Steam day 0 not making PC gamers wait years to play a singleplayer game. Especially since they have their own launcher now. It could even make it easier for them since they probably don't plan on releasing GTA6 until PS5/XsX reach like 60 million combined sales...but with PC/Steam doing so well now maybe they do it earlier.

Also can't wait to see how Elden Ring does on Steam. That thing will probably crush Monster Hunter world #s for biggest Japanese game launch.

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

I say as I can't start the Spotify UWP app. It took a bit longer for me to launch the xbox app, but it seems it prompted an update after that.
Now imagine how it is for me waiting package from US to Europe for almost a month without knowing where it is 90% of the time XD

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I looked into that several times, and unless I missed something he had no knowledge of it at the time. (By which I mean, independent of the rumors).

The moment he does state such knowledge publicly, I would expect some major exposure.
Indeed. Horizon Zero Dawn on PC was laughed at until he stepped in.
This is somewhat strange that he has not run an article about it already, if people on this very forum are aware of its existence......
I imagine he has more than enough sources willing to spill the beans.

Perhaps some things are better left unleaked. It will be revealed soonish anyway (March, April ?).

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Missed 32€ Switch by few minutes :( (by time I tried, all were reversed)
Even though it was 99% likely to be canceled, they decided to honor to price.

So jelly of those who got one. (they didn't honor more than one console per person)

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
This is somewhat strange that he has not run an article about it already, if people on this very forum are aware of its existence......

Perhaps some things are better left unleaked. It will be revealed soonish anyway (March, April ?).
Well, since Jason jumped from Kotaku to his new place (sorry, can't remember the name) he hasn't been quite the same when it comes to scoops that are no industry insights worthy, he's more focused right now in laboral rights, crunch situations and in general more technical aspects than in games per say, IIRC the scoops are now more a thing from Jeff, Imrah, etc... who are all more focused on games directly.

At least it's a perception I have.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018

Yep, I most certainly did. I thought that a significant percentage of copies would come from retail and GOG so I expected Fallout 4 numbers. Now, it's still possible for the game to have sold so monstrously that Steam numbers are actually the minority of total PC sales but in any case I didn't expect anything close to that.

They say a picture is worth more than a thousand words or something like that.

In defense of consoles (now there's a phrase I didn't expect to ever say) the version that XSX and PS5 have access to is the last-gen version, so stark differences are to be expected. That said, I am very happy that the biggest game of the year will be pushing a lot of people towards PC gaming in order to enjoy it in its full glory.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Yep, I most certainly did. I thought that a significant percentage of copies would come from retail and GOG so I expected Fallout 4 numbers. Now, it's still possible for the game to have sold so monstrously that Steam numbers are actually the minority of total PC sales but in any case I didn't expect anything close to that.
What we know: 8 million pre-orders, 59% are PC, Steam version made 50 million$ over 2 weeks ago.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
I'm wondering same, because both records were at times EU unlikely to play (night/worktime).
Of course since, corona is a thing, anything can (not) happen.
I feel it might reach 1.5kk numbers and also I believe the key for this might be China or Chinese consumers.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
I feel it might reach 1.5kk numbers and also I believe the key for this might be China or Chinese consumers.

Yeah, China is the largest PC-market. This is the reason why Valve wants official China client.

For example, MHW preorder numbers were 120k Steam vs 800k WeGame (China only).
Third of steam copies were sold in china. So rest of world is like 10% vs 90% China.

(MHW isn't representative of all games though, I believe it's extremely popular there - also now banned who knows how well it would've sold)

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018
Missed 32€ Switch by few minutes :( (by time I tried, all were reversed)
Even though it was 99% likely to be canceled, they decided to honor to price.

So jelly of those who got one. (they didn't honor more than one console per person)

For $32 you just get one finger nail polish. I happen to be an expert in that language pelikonsoli.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, China is the largest PC-market. This is the reason why Valve wants official China client.

For example, MHW preorder numbers were 120k Steam vs 800k WeGame (China only).
Third of steam copies were sold in china. So rest of world is like 10% vs 90% China.

(MHW isn't representative of all games though, I believe it's extremely popular there - also now banned who knows how well it would've sold)
Adding to this, China loves their grindy games/RPGs. From WoW, to Genshin, to MHW, to C2077, the feeling of growing and getting stronger is ingrained in Chinese culture.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
From the point of view of a journalist, unless he has his own source, in which case the rumors are irrelevant in the first place, there is little to go on.

I came here specifically during the process of trying to evaluate the credibility of the BB PC rumors, after sifting through tons of Twitter, reddit, and 4chan ... manure, let's say.

There are plenty of claims, most of them with no credibility / people repeating something somebody else said / plain made up for trolling purposes.

What it boils down to is claims by
  • here: Queen Of Bloodborne (claim: QA tester, direct access: primary)
  • gaf: Celine D Sykes (claim: works in company where has seen devs work on BB PC: primary)
  • here: InquisitorAles (claim: has sources: secondary)

(I discarded the Sloth moms ("white lied" on this very topic), Warios, Nibels (retweets only), tweets by Russian HDZ leakers (fake), screenshots (fake), Red Gaming / Moore's Law (repeats of Inquisitor video with "I actually knew that",... probably others I forgot).

I tried to evaluate the credibility of Queen by searching for post history on HZD, about which the common wisdom here seems to be that she had accurate info very early; unfortunately the search feature only goes up to 6 months it seems, so that's a bust. I got nothing on Inquisitor. I haven't had time to look into Celine.

So in the end, the rumor is still purely at "dude, trust me" stage. But it is a case where absence of evidence is fairly weak evidence of absence, as Sony has a history of under-hyping PC releases (HZD was announced in a blog post, a propos of nothing), Sony changing practices, documented intention of extending to PC, the PS4 being end-of-life, DeS holding the top spot in the genre for now,... all combine to make BB PC quite plausible now, and the absence of communication consistent with expectations.

Short of kidnapping the claimants above and making them talk with all means nece.. huh? what do you mean torture is illegal? Even if I call it "enhanced conversation"? Still? Kidnapping too? What a world!

In the end it boils down to a definite "maybe". <Insert Neutral World Futurama gif here.>

Status
Not open for further replies.