Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
When I found a a cheat trainer/system that removed random encounters from FFVII.

The music is fantastic.
And the part that took 30-40 min to complete in the demo of the remake took like 10-15 min here. Christ.

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Finished Youropa today. Interesting little puzzle game that has some movement issues (it reminds me on floppy movement of Fall Guys) and bit unresponsive controls. But overall it is fine.
yeah, it's really cool ... i enjoyed it very much

and it's really pretty too :D

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
These Steam awards are just reminding of more games I have to buy/play (or... are already on my backlog and I forgot about it....), and I'm already trying to fight the temptation to get AC:Valhalla that I skipped because of Ubisoft antics.

I'm going to need more than 24 hours a day....

Sidenote: The Avengers game for "Outstanding Visual Style ".... really? "Distinctive look" it not what comes to mind about it.... Well, at least Ori is in there.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Was there no UBI gift today ? Is the OP finished ?

Yeah, a week of 5 days. Today is catch up day.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Death Strike was robbed. RIP Kojima
------

Good news and bad news.

Good news I was able to get all of the audio stuff I was going to buy and was able to get stuff at Best Buy solved in the end. Bad news I lost my house keys but seeing how I lost them like 2 hundred miles away from home I don't have to worry about some one trying to use them.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
------

Good news and bad news.

Good news I was able to get all of the audio stuff I was going to buy and was able to get stuff at Best Buy solved in the end. Bad news I lost my house keys but seeing how I lost them like 2 hundred miles away from home I don't have to worry about some one trying to use them.
Reminder that community votes are a joke. For all the cries of bad nominees in other award shows, what people actually voted for in way worse.

I mean,
  • FIFA 20 and AVENGERS ?!
  • And no HADES?!
  • A DAVID CAGE game in "outstanding story in game"
To be fair the way Valve has it set up it's one nominee per game.

Otherwise you would get this .....
PlayStation.Blog 2020 Game of the Year: The winners – PlayStation.Blog

Also notice how the PS blog thing has like half of the votes.

This is also why Valve only lets you vote for one category per game because other wise it would be just the same five games for all categories and other games would not shine. I mean Notia got nominated there is now way in hell that would have ever got nominated for anything on the PS Blog post.

Also this would help boost the chances of a game getting an award since there can only be 5 nominees per category and they likely would be choosen for what that game is best at.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
No Hades is the real crime in these steam Awards. At least Cyberpunk isn't nominated in like 3 categories like I expected.

• This!
Reactions: Stevey and lashman

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I was trimming down my Wishlist for this sale. I realized that I have too much shit in there that I'll never play even if I buy it. For example, the old Battlefield and stuff, I already played them a lot on 2011, aint coming back now.

There's also stuff in there i've been saying 'eh maybe next sale' since I created my steam account lol

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
When I found a a cheat trainer/system that removed random encounters from FFVII.

The music is fantastic.
And the part that took 30-40 min to complete in the demo of the remake took like 10-15 min here. Christ.
(J)RPGs should really just have options for stuff like that in-game like in Bravely Default as well as other QOL-improvements. I don't think I'd have finished FF12 without 4x game speed for example.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Holy shit! I finally did it! I beat the last boss I had left in Dark Souls 3,
Darkeater Midir
. I was seriously considering just giving up, but it would've been the only Souls boss I never beat. Damn, that feels good. Still had a bunch of Estus Flasks left, that went really well.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Now to wait a few decades until we can get Zero Ao and Hajimari localized:wd_happy:
The excellent fan translation of Zero by the Geofront team is already out. It provides a great experience on PC, easily rivalling the XSEED translations. Their translation for Ao is in the final editing phase, and at 70% currently. So not anything that will take years to complete, for sure. There's also instructions on the site how to legally purchase both games. It's a bit complicated, not gonna lie, but nothing hard if you just follow the guides given.
And I don't think NISA will take very long to translate Hajimari, honestly.

Right now the best time to be a Trails fan in the fan.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
All these Cyberpunk criticisms and it is still a top seller on PC :minos_thonking:
Most of it pertains to the consoles, where the criticism on the technical level of quality of the game seems rather valid. Otherwise, what Durante said.

Fidelity, art and the sheer atmosphere of the game are something beyond anything I've ever experienced, short of Arc Corp. This is what it feels like to enter Novigrad, scaled up to eleven.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Almost 40 hours into Cyberpunk and I will probably concentrate on the main mission and the named sidequests from now on. Almost every other sidecontent in the game is in the "I have been doing that for almost 10 years in videogames now". Just tiring and uninspired.

Also my technical awe for the art is starting to disappear and just getting annoyed at the actual content of it. Most of it is just so adolescent and the equivalent of me drawing dicks on everyone in Donald Duck comics when I was like 12.

The main story is basically what keeps me going because I want to see how it wraps up. Also had a few bugs where in a main mission where they went like "Let's stealth!" and I was like "Alright! I love stealth". When I got the mission area everyone immediatly started shooting at me. No warning or anything. Even after reloading several times I was instantly in combat. And after the mission I got shit from everyone for going in loud.

There is stuff I like about the game. While I haven't played newer first person games in a while I like how it pushes forward first person presentation in first person games. I hope other games will go with this approach instead of the snapping to a NPC. The animation of the first perspective is also pretty neat.

But in the end the game to me just feels disjointed. Many parts that come together but either the unifying vision was non-existant or project management had no idea what they were doing and just threw everything together no matter what.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
It's easily one of the best games released this year. At least on PC.

That
Doesn't tell me much.
If anything I'm reading mixed impressions on the gameplay. Like cool if a game got a great atmosphere (not just in graphics mind) and visuals, but the shooting and mission design come off passable at best, at least based on what I read.
Well, I'll give the game a few more years then I'll try it out and see if y'all were just praising run of the mill fancy looking AAA game or not :V I mean I'm still planning on getting thru SM64 for one thing, what's another highly praised game to add to the list :lampblob:

Wasn't DayZ the #1 top seller on Steam for like 6 months straight or something.
I thought DayZ was a multiplayer-centric game?

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Cyberpunk is just a glorious fantastic brilliant shallow shitshow. Open your mouth while gazing at its glorious beauty. Laugh at the traffic when you stop your car in the road and come back after a couple minutes. There is NO avoidance or attempt to pass, its just fucked. Look at all the NPCs before you realise they don't actually do ANYTHING. There is no routine, nothing much of anything really. Its all brilliant but empty and unlike sleight of hand you can just see through it. Go to a crowded area and get your gun out, nobody cares unless you point it at anyone. Do that and then spin round slowly in a circle. A crowded area empties as you spin around and its kind of spooky the way you can turn whole streets into a ghost town.
I both love the game and think its the one of the worst things I've ever experienced.

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
The main story is basically what keeps me going because I want to see how it wraps up. Also had a few bugs where in a main mission where they went like "Let's stealth!" and I was like "Alright! I love stealth". When I got the mission area everyone immediatly started shooting at me. No warning or anything. Even after reloading several times I was instantly in combat. And after the mission I got shit from everyone for going in loud.
I dislike that the only peaceful option seem to be hiding from the line of sight of every enemy and camera. I've put most my points into cool so was hoping there would be options to talk your way through at times. There have been some missions that seemed to have situations where is may be possible to bluff your way through at least some of the area even if it might take a bit of information gathering or recon, but every area enemies are just shoot on sight. Couldn't even approach the front door to a gym without having guns drawn on me.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
All these Cyberpunk criticisms and it is still a top seller on PC :minos_thonking:
Sorry Tizoc but it is a fucking GOTY contender and the game runs way better on PC than it does on console, hell, I'm 35-40 hours in and so far I have only encountered minor bugs, the only worrying thing I faced was a corrupted save file but overall I think it could very well be part of my top 10 of the gen.

At the very least I'm engaging a lot with the game and it's characters/world.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Among Us had roughly half a billion monthly active users in November.
The title is now by far the most popular game ever in terms of monthly players. Since Among Us is not heavily monetized, earnings figures are comparatively smaller. The PC version (which has a $5 upfront price) accounted for the majority of revenue from August to November (64%) despite having an extremely small share of the total player base (3% in November).
Reference: November 2020 worldwide digital games market — SuperData, a Nielsen Company

It's easily one of the best games released this year. At least on PC.
The second best, maybe. But not easily. The best is Spelunky 2. Then Hades is a strong contender for the second place.

Edit: I forgot about Ori 2.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
That
Doesn't tell me much.
If anything I'm reading mixed impressions on the gameplay. Like cool if a game got a great atmosphere (not just in graphics mind) and visuals, but the shooting and mission design come off passable at best, at least based on what I read.
I'm probably the wrong person to ask about shooting. I've never ever understood what people mean when they say "gunplay" or that the shooting in some game "feels good". All I can say is that it works and I have no issues with it. I generally use stealth and hacking a lot more than shooting.

Mission design is great though.
There's a lot of variety in the types of tasks you have to perform, and a huge variety in the environments (not just visually, but gameplay-wise) that you perform them in. It also interacts nicely with how you build your character, in that you will often (but not always; that also wouldn't make sense thematically) have opportunities to use the strengths you focused on to open up different ways to achieve the goal of a mission.

For example, in a recent gig I had to extract someone kept prisoner in a facility. The "basic" options are of course to go in guns blazing or to sneak around and e.g. do silent takedowns if you specced for that. What I did is get to the roof using my jumping implants, hack the various cameras visible from there (and continue from them to the other cameras), figure out where the target is kept, and then disable all enemies on the shortest path from the back entrance to that location using hacking again. Then I basically just went in and out again.

If there's one thing I miss it's an opportunity in some missions to achieve more by talking to specific people. It's possible in quite a few cases, even in "gig-level" side missions, but it could certainly be an option even more often, and that would make the game even better for me. But then again, this also isn't really the case in e.g. Deus Ex (either the original or the modern ones), and it's not a big deal.

Cyberpunk is just a glorious fantastic brilliant shallow shitshow. Open your mouth while gazing at its glorious beauty. Laugh at the traffic when you stop your car in the road and come back after a couple minutes. There is NO avoidance or attempt to pass, its just fucked. Look at all the NPCs before you realise they don't actually do ANYTHING. There is no routine, nothing much of anything really. Its all brilliant but empty and unlike sleight of hand you can just see through it. Go to a crowded area and get your gun out, nobody cares unless you point it at anyone. Do that and then spin round slowly in a circle. A crowded area empties as you spin around and its kind of spooky the way you can turn whole streets into a ghost town.
I both love the game and think its the one of the worst things I've ever experienced.
The city is basically just a stage for the story and missions to take place in. I never expected or needed it to be more than that, and since I'm playing it as an RPG and my character wouldn't do random shit, those limitations really don't actually impact the game for me personally.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
The second best, maybe. But not easily. The best is Spelunky 2. Then Hades is a strong contender for the second place.

Edit: I forgot about Ori 2.
Good point about Ori 2, and one day I'll get Spelunky!

Though Hades, that one I disagree on. It really controlled like crap on KB&M, not to mention that the world didn't do anything for me. Also an ex-EGS exclusive which arguably does little to endear it to me, but even so I found it really not compelling compared to Pyre or Transistor.

The only ex-EGS game that I am really prepared to sing the virtues of is Outer Wilds.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
One thing in Cyberpunk that left me disappointed during Judy's storyline is that CDPR didn't learn from Yakuza 0 and at the end of the Clouds takeover there's no option for V to be able to live out her dream of running a Cyberpunk Caberat Club.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
From the little I played and everything I read and watched the AI/behavior complaints on Cyberpunk have some merit when talking about the police and enemies. But as for the general NPC/cars/etc behavior? I don't really care about that at tall as long that is enough to create a superficial illusion to support the content I really want, which is handcrafted story/missions. 90% time I get bored really fast with all those advanced NPC AI in these types of games anyway. Also, the game is already cooking my old CPU.

So yeah, since I will play on a PC with a decent GPU, I'm really looking forward to it (just have to find some time...)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.