Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
At this point it's getting harder and harder NOT to shit on this game and the developer (apart from the meme'ing I have been doing)

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Some good mods starting to pop up for Cyberpunk on nexus. I am so afraid to install any of them because as they update the game it will break mods, performance. I'll wait for a few more updates b4 trying to go down that rabbit hole. I remember save files being corrupt and dead with W3 as well because of mods so yea their engine is thin when it comes to that stuff.

This made me laugh. Sorry, not sorry.
The batman flying over his head is what makes the image so good :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Dekunator

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
It's as if honesty and realistic expectations might not have gone unrewarded in the long term. Crunching to get it out for the holidays, as well as being unrealistic about console sales (ie the last gen of consoles can't play this game) were probably avoidable problems. All that mess for nothing. The game would have sold tremendously no matter what if they didn't focus on big first day numbers. It really throws a lot of cold water on those claims about the game being profitable on day one. I really wonder if that last minute delay that took everybody by surprise was sheer terror at having to support those last gen consoles. But nah, MAX SALES DAY ONE. Day two, how bout those returns and loss of reputation?

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
It's as if honesty and realistic expectations might not have gone unrewarded in the long term. Crunching to get it out for the holidays, as well as being unrealistic about console sales (ie the last gen of consoles can't play this game) were probably avoidable problems. All that mess for nothing. The game would have sold tremendously no matter what if they didn't focus on big first day numbers. It really throws a lot of cold water on those claims about the game being profitable on day one. I really wonder if that last minute delay that took everybody by surprise was sheer terror at having to support those last gen consoles. But nah, MAX SALES DAY ONE. Day two, how bout those returns and loss of reputation?
should have cancelled the PS4/XB1 versions entirely and delayed the game 6-12 months

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
should have cancelled the PS4/XB1 versions entirely and delayed the game 6-12 months
Yeah seems like even doing just the last gen cancels would have dramatically cut down on the craziness. The bugs can be fixed. Old hardware can't. Although, a good delay would have let PS5/XB ownership catch up.

It's unfortunate to see so many people put through the wringer after working so long to make something cool, because someone at CDPR just couldn't let go of that old console money, or wait for the new console money.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
sooo my PC died. It overheated playing Cyberpunk, shut off, something inside it went poof (there was an audible noise i did not like a single bit) and it smelled (well, still smells) burned inside. I opened it but cannot determine where exactly the smell comes from. It doesnt power on now, it just stays dead. What are your guesses? CPU, PSU, GPU? I'm think PSU since it makes not a flinch when I try to power it on now.

Ah well. Using my work laptop and GeforceNow to play more Cyberpunk to get my mind off the fact that Cyberpunk killed my PC.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
PSU since it makes not a flinch when I try to power it on now.
Yes. That is what I would say. Or motherboard? Or CPU?

When my GPU burnt, I could boot the PC, even hear the sound when the Windows login screen appears. Unplugging the HDMI and using a VGA cable was sufficient to see something on the screen.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
sooo my PC died. It overheated playing Cyberpunk, shut off, something inside it went poof (there was an audible noise i did not like a single bit) and it smelled (well, still smells) burned inside. I opened it but cannot determine where exactly the smell comes from. It doesnt power on now, it just stays dead. What are your guesses? CPU, PSU, GPU? I'm think PSU since it makes not a flinch when I try to power it on now.

Ah well. Using my work laptop and GeforceNow to play more Cyberpunk to get my mind off the fact that Cyberpunk killed my PC.
Probably. PSU. What brand?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Probably. PSU. What brand?
PSU is a be quiet! Pure Power 10 with 500W

the other specs are a bit hard to determine now that it doesnt power on since I dont remember exactly.
its a MSi motherboard, a MSi GTX1070 Ti, an Intel i7 or i9 CPU with a be quiet cooler.

Yes. That is what I would say. Or motherboard? Or CPU?

When my GPU burnt, I could boot the PC, even hear the sound when the Windows login screen appears. Unplugging the HDMI and using a VGA cable was sufficient to see something on the screen.
Yeah my first reaction was to get the GPU out, even tho I dont have the correct cables for the onboard graphics, but yeah, its not powering on at all

I'll check if I can borrow a PSU from somewhere to see if its that

Also, Geforce Now in a browser is a bit crap since Esc breaks the cursor lock...now I cant get out of menus in Cyberpunk anymore :p

Reactions: didamangi

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Sekiro killed my PSU last year. I paused the game and left for 5 min when I came back it was dead. Ironically it came from pausing in a game people hated Miyazaki for putting in pausing.

If you have a second unused/old pc laying around its easy to check by swapping around parts to see if they work on other machine.

Otherwise just go to a local store and buy wtvr PSU they have. Install it and see if it is indeed the problem. If it is just return it and buy a better one online.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018

If you are getting nothing at all when trying to power up, then my guess it would be indeed the PSU, or maybe the motherboard.

You can power up the PSU without a motherboard (unless things have changed a lot recently) by connecting two pins on the 24-pins connector that goes into the motherboard using something like a paperclip

Don't forget to disconnect the PSU from everything first. With that you should have an idea if the PSU is working or not.

And yeah, Cyberpunk appears to be a "killer" of systems.... over here my old 7700K was really struggling and getting very hot, so I decided stop playing until after some patches and an upgrade on my part.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Sekiro killed my PSU last year. I paused the game and left for 5 min when I came back it was dead. Ironically it came from pausing in a game people hated Miyazaki for putting in pausing.

If you have a second unused/old pc laying around its easy to check by swapping around parts to see if they work on other machine.

Otherwise just go to a local store and buy wtvr PSU they have. Install it and see if it is indeed the problem. If it is just return it and buy a better one online.
If you are getting nothing at all when trying to power up, then my guess it would be indeed the PSU, or maybe the motherboard.

You can power up the PSU without a motherboard (unless things have changed a lot recently) by connecting two pins on the 24-pins connector that goes into the motherboard using something like a paperclip

Don't forget to disconnect the PSU from everything first. With that you should have an idea if the PSU is working or not.

And yeah, Cyberpunk appears to be a "killer" of systems.... over here my old 7700K was really struggling and getting very hot, so I decided stop playing until after some patches and an upgrade on my part.

Thanks for your inputs. I'll try these things. Not sure I have a paperclip, but those shouldnt be so hard to come by. Have them in the office, of course, just dont spend much time there nowadays. I think I have an old PSU at my parents place, I might try that first before I buy a cheap one to test.

So earlier this year my PSU died from me playing CSGO
ugh :/

Also, Geforce Now in a browser is a bit crap since Esc breaks the cursor lock...now I cant get out of menus in Cyberpunk anymore :p
I managed to get around this by using a controller btw. Was kinda surprised my work laptop would let me pair my DS4, but here we are. Whenever the game needed an ESC input, I just use the controller for that. Bit clunky, but I'll live.

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I'm enjoying Gears Tactics, it's a very solid strategy game and the genre fits the setting like a glove. We'll see if it has enough variety to feel fresh throughout the campaign but so far so good.
I enjoyed my time with Gears Tactics, too. Played it at lunch. It was also my first time playing a Gears game.

A solid first attempt by the team, and there's enough differences to set it apart from the X-COM styled games. The boss fights are enjoyable, the characters are great, and the story is interesting. It was a smart decision by the team to set the game as a prequel. However,
the lack of mission variety is a big black mark against the game.
You'll soon find out. :p

Also, the Brumak boss OST is 🔥

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia

Might want to check yours.
My save folder is 50mb. It supposed to be well beyond corrupted or what?

The thing is that even a single autosave is 3-4mb, so at most you can only have 2 save files which is impossible as there are 9 autosave and 3 quicksave slots. I only have 2 manual saves with me atm.

• Sad

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

The thing is that even a single autosave is 3-4mb, so at most you can only have 2 save files which is impossible as there are 9 autosave and 3 quicksave slots. I only have 2 manual saves with me atm.
It's per file, not the whole folder. if a save file is over 8mb it will be corrupted and unrecoverable.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019

I would assume individual saves become corrupt at 8 MB. Size of the save folder probably doesn't matter.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
I'm enjoying my playthrough of Yakuza 7 a lot. Thematic wise, in the beginning, I was kind of worried it will be a retread of Yakuza Kiwami (I went in pretty much blind), but I'm glad my worries are unfounded. This game is obviously a lot stronger than Kiwami, while also highlighting one aspect from Yakuza 0 I really like -- the life of the disenfranchised and the unwanted. Namely, the homeless and the immigrants.

This game has a good social commentary about xenophobia and the negative social stigma of sex workers as well. The best thing is, Yakuza 7 succeeded in telling these stories without being preachy -- trapping of most western media tackling the same sort of themes-- while still giving a bright, and hopeful outlook.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
It's per file, not the whole folder. if a save file is over 8mb it will be corrupted and unrecoverable.
I would assume individual saves become corrupt at 8 MB. Size of the save folder probably doesn't matter.
I see, that explains it. But how does a save file get bigger? I've never heard such a thing before. It's usually the folder size getting bigger because you have more save files and it may cause issues, like in Unity games (I remember this from Battletech).

Aelphaeis Mangarae

MetaMember
Apr 21, 2019
I see, that explains it. But how does a save file get bigger? I've never heard such a thing before. It's usually the folder size getting bigger because you have more save files and it may cause issues, like in Unity games (I remember this from Battletech).
More stuff in the save file. Suppose you have a game with a crafting system. This means you can't have just gun.count = 10,000,000. You end up having to store 10,000,000 instances of that gun with a unique name string, unique stats, etc. If you don't have some kind of cap or system to delete the oldest, the save file will balloon as it stores more and more. Bethesda games had save bloat due to a lot of things, but things like piles of ash from blastered enemies was one root cause of PS3 save bloat issues.

Whoever wrote Cyberpunk's save system likely allocated an 8MB buffer to store save data before paging it out to disk. Corrupting over 8MB is too specific to be accidental.

Reactions: texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
More stuff in the save file. Suppose you have a game with a crafting system. This means you can't have just gun.count = 10,000,000. You end up having to store 10,000,000 instances of that gun with a unique name string, unique stats, etc. If you don't have some kind of cap or system to delete the oldest, the save file will balloon as it stores more and more. Bethesda games had save bloat due to a lot of things, but things like piles of ash from blastered enemies was one root cause of PS3 save bloat issues.

Whoever wrote Cyberpunk's save system likely allocated an 8MB buffer to store save data before paging it out to disk. Corrupting over 8MB is too specific to be accidental.
Okay, thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll be fine if I'm just playing normally.

Also, why would any PC player use such money exploit when we can just use cheatengine lol.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Disambling stuffs that you don't need anymore seems to be the safe bet.

I'm safe for now.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Looking at the Cyberpunk OC score since it's all systems combined.

Hey SE how about fixing Nier A. It's a good game but yeah score should not be that high

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I'm at 5.1mb, Gonna try to finish map clearing this weekend and possibly beat the game so I can await 30 patches and a couple DLC and come back to it.
I've cleared 5/7 areas, just Pacifica and Santo Domingo to go. I really need to get back to the main quest at some point!

Dekunator

Timmy Tencent owes me money
Apr 17, 2019
My Cyberpunk saves are up to 5.6mb!

Mine are resoundingly low at 3.5mb, since I'm a compulsive "gotta keep my inventory nice and clean" person.

Why do capture cards have to be so expensive? I want to record some gameplay on my Switch and not spend $150 on an Elgato.

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
Mine are resoundingly low at 3.5mb, since I'm a compulsive "gotta keep my inventory nice and clean" person.

Why do capture cards have to be so expensive? I want to record some gameplay on my Switch and not spend $150 on an Elgato.
I've built up quite the collection of useless food items, pages and pages. Need to sell them all, 1st priority.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
This unknown game is marked for a free weekend, which ends on the day of the Winter sales:

using this sub:

Edit: I believe it is an app by Valve employee Jason Ruymen:

Jason Ruymen is a Valve employee and (in the context of these apps) probably best known for his Steamworks tutorials on the official Steamworks Development YouTube channel, posting removal notifications for banned games and general support for game developers on Steam. This is simply a list of apps he seems to be involved in (outside of regular games) based on their packages and meta data.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: Tomasety and Arsene

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada

Not sure if already posted but (to the shock of nobody) No More Heroes 1 + 2 got rated by the ESRB for PC.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018

Not sure if already posted but (to the shock of nobody) No More Heroes 1 + 2 got rated by the ESRB for PC.
Nice! Always wanted to play these. I think I have a copy of the PS3 remaster lying around somewhere but I never touched it and kinda lost interest when it became obvious they weren't going to port the sequel.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Nice! Always wanted to play these. I think I have a copy of the PS3 remaster lying around somewhere but I never touched it and kinda lost interest when it became obvious they weren't going to port the sequel.
Ah, I impulse bought the first one when it released on Switch.
Then I saw that to recharge you lightsaber in undocked mode you have to do a quick succession of left/right on the right analog.
On a Switch. It's cool, just a highway to controller drift :sweaty-blob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

Never bought it on my Switch because a part of me expected this. Nice.

Reactions: Arsene and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.