Community MetaSteam | December 2020 - Empire of Doom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Finished my 108th game this year, best year ever for me when it comes to finishing games and it's solely because of the coronavirus has shut down everything around me.

I don't think Im ever gonna finish this many game a year ever again and most of the games I have finished have been 1-6 hour games.

It's all downhill from here.
Now that I think of it, with so many games completed you could help a meta member LittleDinamit with his Playtracker site and report the alliance quest which is basically submit the achievement a game grants upon completion.

I've been doing this since the alliance quest appeared so maybe others could help witht the quest.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Kind of annoyed that the sales main landing page hasn't updated the highlighted games enough for me yet. Don't want to see Borderlands 3 and Far Cry 5 there anymore

Reactions: Rockin' Ranger

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Finishing games? Nah.
Now I only finish what I really enjoy. Otherwise, down it goes the list of recently played until it's not recent anymore, like literally 99% of all games I ever played.

Even more than before, I don't see why I should finish games if I don't have fun every second. Way too much choice, too little time to fill up a list and say "I've done that many this year".

mssq

lurker
Apr 22, 2019
I have finished 56 games this year which is around the same as couple previous years.

But looking these finished games I think I need to admit it to myself... I might be turning to a coward. In last three years I have only finished 10 horror games and 2021 shall be the year I fix this.

I was originally thinking of finishing a horror game a week, but that seems unachievable. Instead I shall finish one every other week so 26 of them during next year. This is my list for now:

Recommendations are appreciated. (Plus points for VR recommendations) :photoblobheart:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Finished Omori after 15 hours and its probably my GOTY. Waited 6 years and it definitely did not disappoint. Hard to talk about it without spoiling but as someone who loved Mother 3, Undertale, OFF and Yume Nikki it was everything I wanted and then some. Definitely a slow burn but 100% worth it. Shit was crazy.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I just spent an hour reading 10 pages of well wishing. Late tidings to you all.

Normally I take the whole 21st - 2nd off of the internet entirely and keep it low tech. But this year I started playing Frostpunk again yesterday so I figured ... how about I get this very important work done and then check out for a few days again. I can't keep these fools in their little flapping tents and just sit by the fire IRL, can I? Late into the night I lead by example in this cold cold room, and the fuckers fired me with two days left in the campaign. Never again.

my recommendation:

if you liked Spacebase DF-9 but was disappointed when they abandoned it - this is the game you want to check out
Agreed. This game is really cool and keeps getting better. It's already way better than DF-9, which I mostly liked, ever was.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Agreed. This game is really cool and keeps getting better. It's already way better than DF-9, which I mostly liked, ever was.
yeah, exactly ... it's basically a "what if DF didn't abandon DF-9" ... and it's great

Reactions: Wildebeet

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I dunno how you guys keep up with games you've played or beaten.
Because I forgot how many I've played this year...

However the Blitz challenge did push me to complete more games this time than I ever had.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I finished 10, two of them are Cold Steel 1 and 2. Both huge RPGs that took me 100+ hours.

I can make it 11 as I am at the ending of Yakuza 0. But I would rather play the minigames first.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Finished with Yakuza 7. What a fucking ride. Easily one of the best Yakuza games I've played. (Ok, I only played 4 of them so far, but still...) I'll need to some time to gather my thoughts, but for now, I'd say Ichiban is a great protagonist. Sometimes he's a bit more volatile when loosely compared to Kiryu, but I'm glad to see that RGG made a totally different character from Kiryu but still keeping the character traits which makes him great. "Passing the torch", sort of speak. Secondly, I'm aware that I probably missed a lot of callbacks/nods to previous games, but the lore --while still interesting-- wasn't as deep as Trails series, for example. Looking forward to getting my hands on 3-5 this January and put faces to names once again.

On the topic of finishing games, I've finished 15 RPGs this year. More than the last two years combined. I suppose COVID quarantine played a part. Finished more than a few VNs as well, but I haven't read any since November since my 2nd PC is out of commission.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Over the year I probably finished a couple of games. Control I think was this year but no idea what else.
I tend to play stuff that never ends, like modded Minecraft which is by far the game I played most this year. I been through to what you might consider the end of a few modpacks which is a considerable timesink. That and a load of other games that never end.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I've finishef 45 games this year, with the latest just now as the Broken Sword 5 credits roll. Can't remember if all backers are in there so I'm waiting for my name. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

edit: Went instead to KS to check my pledge and I don't think I'm in the credits. :p Didn't watch it all through because it would have taken forever.

Last edited:

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I finished like 6 games this year. Maybe? At least half my playtime for the entire year was just Witcher 3. I started enjoying my gaming time much more once I stopped obsessing with my backlog and finishing as many games as quickly as possible and I stopped spending so much money on games that I'm not going to play anytime soon.

Also, I used all that free time I gained from not playing so many games to start reading books again. So now all that frivolous spending and obsession with finishing things quickly is focused on books instead. Because I'm stupid. :upside-down-face:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
According to the backlog blitz, I've completed at least 12, but I know I completed other games outside of that, so i'm probably at like 16 or so for the year. Which for me is fantastic. In around a decade I may have half my backlog done.

Reactions: Angelo

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I've finishef 45 games this year, with the latest just now as the Broken Sword 5 credits roll. Can't remember if all backers are in there so I'm waiting for my name. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

edit: Went instead to KS to check my pledge and I don't think I'm in the credits. :p Didn't watch it all through because it would have taken forever.
I gave up looking for my name in the credits with never remembering what games I backed at a tier high enough to do so or what games I opted to list one of my dogs instead of myself.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have finished a decent number of decent games this year:
  • A Short Hike
  • Disco Elysium
  • Gris
  • Ittle Dew 1 & 2+
  • Meteorfall: Krumit's Tale
  • Omen Exitio
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Spelunky 2
  • The Last Express
  • The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • We Were Here Too

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Kvik and appear to be on the same wavelength. I rolled credits tonight in Yakuza: Like a Dragon as well. Amazing game, honestly I didn't expect the JRPG thing to work as well as it did, but it really was great. A really fun RPG with a story that is both distinctly a Yakuza game AND definitely built like a JRPG. Really, really fun. Can't wait to see what they do with the next one.

Excited to play the other Yakuza games in 2021. For now though, time to play Ori.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Amazing game, honestly I didn't expect the JRPG thing to work as well as it did, but it really was great. A really fun RPG with a story that is both distinctly a Yakuza game AND definitely built like a JRPG.
Yeah, the combat worked beautifully. Both the summoning (Poundmates) and the Extreme tech sequences are so (J)RPG it kind of hurts, lol. They even added Yuji Horii in the credits under Special Thanks.

Although, If I have a complaint about the job system, it is that Ichiban has to run all the way back to Ijincho's Hello Work to switch between jobs. It's kind of nitpicking since area load times are inconsequential when the game is installed on an SSD, but it would've been nice to be able to switch jobs from anywhere.

Reactions: QFNS and Angelo

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Friends, don't fall into this consumerism hell hole. You have a choice, you don't NEED to finish games, it is completely acceptable to not finish them, maybe even play them for a long time.
All you get is just the hole in your heart for ending a good experience and the endless search for the next fix.

Thoughts and prayers.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
That fucking feel when you got one foil each for the 2 most valuable cards for Nekopara vol 4, 14 bucks each. What a fucking feeling.
That means that you have to purchase Nekopara first, and tie it to your account. :troll:

Edit: Right for Christmas!

That is the game with animated anime backgrounds! :cho: I am a bit wary about spending 2000 gems, so I cannot try, but I assume you need to own the game before making a purchase from the Steam Points Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.