Community MetaSteam | December 2021 - All I want for Christmas is a SteamDeck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

So I saw my favorite Twitch guy Tomato playing Wasteland Trucker yesterday and it looked like a really cool hybrid of jank road-trip The Long Drive and sandbox My Summer Car. Pretty tempted to pull the trigger.

Then I saw mention of Motor Town, a voxel vehicle sandbox with a ton of job types (taxi, bus, truck delivery, street race). Sports a demo too and it was impressive in it's own right, if not a bit toooo voxel-polished kinda like a mobile game. Decent physics though.

Both are in that <$15 impulse range.

Now I have analysis-paralysis. Decisions, decisions.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Pokemon Blue.

I didn't continue playing the series after Ruby/Sapphire, so I can't comment on the rest. I really enjoyed the Kanto region, and perhaps the simplicity of the original game. I have a fondness for Pokemon Snap as well.

Ultimately I don't think Game Freak took the series where I hoped it would go when I first played Blue.

It's been roughly two decades since I last played, but with the Pocket here, now is a great time to revisit it.

what is this game boy? It's clean as fuck

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I’ve been on a Metroidvania tear this year. I finished:

Astalon TOTE
Blasphemous
Castlevania SOTN (replay)
Death’s Gambit
Environmental Station Alpha
Ori and the Blind Forest
Record of Lodoss DIWL
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap

Love these types of games. I’ll be picking up that Monster Boy one in the sale too.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
It looks amazing! But my hype was killed when I read it doesn't support roms. Original cartridges are way to expensive and clumsy nowadays.
Oh wow, thank you for pointing that out. I have seen this around and was considering it. While I have a bunch of GB,GBC,GBA cartridges, it looked like a nice way to play those games I missed out on.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
It looks amazing! But my hype was killed when I read it doesn't support roms. Original cartridges are way to expensive and clumsy nowadays.
Well, it very likely will. An unofficial firmware has always been released by Analogue themselves (under a pseudonym) for their previous hardware to support loading ROMs and some additional features. And if for some reason it doesn't, the community has already figured out how to load some ROMs on it.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
As I understand it, typically some kind of custom firmware tends to release not long after launch of their hardware that allows loading games from the SD card. I think I heard Jeff Gerstmann say something along those lines in a recent Bombcast.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I own an Anbernic handheld, the Analog Pocket is interesting, but I wish all these platforms allowed for more variation in ''shaders'' / color palettes. Surely we are approaching the time when mobile hardware can run a nearly photoreal GB shader.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

Welp, I decided to go with Wasteland Trucker and a couple hours in has me feeling like I made the right choice.

Really digging it so far. It's got that dirty, grimy feel of My Summer Car / The Long Drive. Along with the no-f**ks navigation that gives you a loosely-annotated paper map and that's it. No active markers or anything.

Wasteland is a good title descriptor for the map as it's got a dry-brush hills & desert kind of vibe. At times it feels like American SouthWest, others it feels like Mad Max outback. Either way the map is sprawling as f. Like it feels as though it just goes on and on forever. And not in a flat plane kind of way, there's elevation changes and switchbacks aplenty. Not like mountains or anything, but enough to make it feel varied & authored.

Looks like you can switch out car parts, upgrade and such. But I haven't encountered those systems yet. Just keeping up on gas, coolant & oil levels between runs. Speaking of, I'm enjoying the directed nature of WT where you take a job in one small-town settlement, load up and transfer goods to another town, and repeat from there. Give a sense of purpose.

It's got one of those Half-Life 2 physics deals where your cargo has weight & hit boxes. Orders can be 20-30 or more small boxes that you load into your truck. So you have to be careful when driving as swerving & jostling the goods could send them flying out of the back of your truck. Driving feels creaky as hell in the best kinda way, with your gears practically crying out when you grind from one to the next, just like all good post-apocalyptic junker vehicles should. Oh and you have to manually shift, but it's not too hard as along with up-down arrows you can shift by pressing the 1-5 keys.

So all good so far. Nice audio design coupled with day/night cycle open landscapes and fun driving leads to a really atmospheric experience.

Great stuff.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com
According to his blog, Brandon Sanderson (the writer) has been working on a video game for several years and it looks like it will be revealed in 2022:

Other Projects (Video Games)

I’ve been working on a video game for several years, and I suspect it will be announced this year. So, commence speculation! (Note: it’s not for one of my properties, but something new that I built with them. It’s a game company many of you will have heard of, but probably not the one you’re thinking about right now. Not that other one either.)

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Looking at the steam page, seems like you are way braver than me. Their first game on steam and early access with small review sample size. Glad it worked out though and seems to be a good product.
Well to be fair 10'ish bucks for a hyper niche style of game isn't that much of a heavy lift if it's something I'm in the mood for.

I'd be fine if I just got a couple-few hours of enjoyment out of it.

There's just something about that shoestring budget, zero-f's attitude, decidedly Eastern Euro/Scandinavian vehicle sandbox survival simulators that really inspires my gaming tastes.

They seem to come along so rarely, at least in this uniquely region-specific janky flavor. It's just the best.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Steam sale tomorrow

I have over 600 games on wishlist but all I want to play is Elden Ring :blobclosecry:

2 more months

For seal I'm thinking Shadow of War. That team is now doing Wonder Woman so might as well give it a shot. Only played Mordor for 10hrs before dropping it but I heard more ambitious things about the sequel.

Wouldn't mind a good deal on the corporate sponsored bundle for Outer Worlds but it never gets good discount. I think Private Division is to blame for that.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I have never in my life ignored a User in a Forum, even shitheads and trolls. Not EGS-"just-asking-questions (for the 100th time)"-idiots, not obvious corporate shills, not even people I fundamentally disagree with in regards to their views.

But I might start with NFT and crypto bros. Fucking hell, they are trying to pull users down with them in pyramid schemes so that they can cash out themselves.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
I have never in my life ignored a User in a Forum, even shitheads and trolls. Not EGS-"just-asking-questions (for the 100th time)"-idiots, not obvious corporate shills, not even people I fundamentally disagree with in regards to their views.

But I might start with NFT and crypto bros. Fucking hell, they are trying to pull users down with them in pyramid schemes so that they can cash out themselves.
They need to, they are heavily invested in this shit, they need to make it worth, looking at all the EGS bullshit and now this crypto/NFT garbage, people are extremely selfish, they don't care who or what got distroid so they can have a little of something so they can feel on top of things.

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018

P4U will not have rollback netcode at launch.
Atlus: just rollback your eyeballs.

Still don't get how this crap works. Nft implies mining, right? So when ubitrash is selling nft skin who and when does the mining part.
And what's the difference between csgo\tf crates and nft skins.
A lot of drops are idling related = mining => most of lootbox shit is nft, twitch is nft (watch 2 hours and get some shitty skin, basically burn your cpu and gpu aka electricity for nothing). Daily logins/other fomo trash is nft.
I knew it, those scummy devs and their ways, don't give em money, that includes nft gaben :steam_cleanseal:

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
Steam sale tomorrow

I have over 600 games on wishlist but all I want to play is Elden Ring :blobclosecry:

2 more months

For seal I'm thinking Shadow of War. That team is now doing Wonder Woman so might as well give it a shot. Only played Mordor for 10hrs before dropping it but I heard more ambitious things about the sequel.

Wouldn't mind a good deal on the corporate sponsored bundle for Outer Worlds but it never gets good discount. I think Private Division is to blame for that.
I think it starts today : https://steamdb.info/sales/history/

Reactions: yuraya

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Just finished Wasteland 3 and it saddens me just how much wasted potential and stupid ideas and design decisions where put in this. It's really astonishing. My initial reaction after 5h or so was that W2 felt like a better game but after finishing W3 I can safely say W2 is without any doubt the better game and it's not even close.
If I find the willpower to do so I might write why I feel this way but right now I'm at a loss of words. W3 is really mindblowing and should be taught in schools as a case study example of what not to do.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Just finished Wasteland 3 and it saddens me just how much wasted potential and stupid ideas and design decisions where put in this. It's really astonishing. My initial reaction after 5h or so was that W2 felt like a better game but after finishing W3 I can safely say W2 is without any doubt the better game and it's not even close.
If I find the willpower to do so I might write why I feel this way but right now I'm at a loss of words. W3 is really mindblowing and should be taught in schools as a case study example of what not to do.
Surprising, I actually liked Wasteland 3. And my big issue with the second game was how its first half in Arizona felt like an overblown prologue, with the real meat of the game not starting until you hit LA. Wasteland 3 is pretty good about getting things rolling quickly. It's not perfect by any means, and the writing and especially quests could have used more polish, but overall I came out liking it. Though the focus on combat did feel a bit negative, I did note that.

Here is my post of my thoughts on in from the Reviews thread: Reviews - Rate the game you finished/retired

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
Ok here's the thing, I'm kinda in the mood of something like Vampire Bloodlines but guess what, no such game exists!
Unless... Secret World Legends but played single player? Am I crazy? I swear it's the only game I could find with similar aesthetics (the other being Max Pain but no supernatural)

Status
Not open for further replies.