Community MetaSteam | February 2019 - The Frontier of the Hyper-Toxic Pro-Consumer Computer Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yakuza 0 got a beta patch to fix a bunch of issues, including a lighting issue, and also, according to an user in the community hub, apparently this patch also removes Denuvo (executable's file size is much smaller, opening the game is much faster).

Beta Patch v3 is live - 11 February 2019 :: Yakuza 0 General Discussions

Direct link to the post about Denuvo:
Nice! I'm guessing they fixed it while working on Kiwami, so that bodes well for the release.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
A good sign for Yakuza Kiwami.
Can't wait for it.

In other news:
-Finished Tales of Vesperia.

It's... fine. Looks great, sounds like shit (but Tales of music was always rubbish to begin with), the characters are great.
But the pacing is out of whack, the game is ridiculously long for little reason, and the last act is a sham. Not unlike other games in the franchise, it really comes out of their ass, contradicts the previous 40 hours and retroactively makes character development for Estelle veeery stupid. And the group doesn't seem to notice, because hey, we need more screen time apparently.
But the biggest issue is the combat, which just falls apart as soon as it's not optimal conditions: that is to say, 1v1, in an horizontal line, with a heavy emphasis on long combos. When you fight 9 ennemies all alone, it's a shitshow... but at least it's not hard.
When you reach bosses where their hitboxes are so tiny that their own body gets in the way of your hits but "obviously" aren't part of it? Yeah, that's plain crap.
The last boss is by far the worst fight in the game, because it also gets an extra random teleport! Nothing better in a combo based gameplay to just have the enemy blink away. Good design.

In general, the game is terribly balanced, fights are too easy and short in Normal mode for the player to use finishers, too long in hard mode not to. Except you only get finishers 15h in, so Hard mode is ideal for masochists.
And then it's not relevant anyway, since it doesn't work against bosses and fighting for 50min is not the most entertaining thing around. Especially not with the item spam common of the series at the time.

If you like a nice world to explore (with microscopic towns however), it's quite fun.
But honestly, just plowing through the game is Easy might be the better choice, at least you don't suffer the gameplay for too long. Too bad, because there's tons of crazy combos to pull, when you're allowed to.

Oh and if you like achievement, you'll need a guide guaranteed. It's physically impossible to do everything yourself, and even then, it's not even a certainty that something won't be stuck because you did something else too early or too late and you'll have to come back to see if it works or not now... but at the right moment, or else you are screwed for everything else anyway.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
In other news:
-Finished Tales of Vesperia.
I'm currently playing Vesperia, but in local co-op so only once per week (which means that despite starting on launch day we're still not that far into it progress-wise).

The party characters really are pretty damn good by Tales standards, but yeah, the battles aren't nearly as interesting as in some of the other entries. (Of course, Zestiria was one of my favourites in the franchise when it comes to the battle mechanics, so my opinion is probably pretty atypical :p)

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Yakuza 0 got a beta patch to fix a bunch of issues, including a lighting issue, and also, according to an user in the community hub, apparently this patch also removes Denuvo (executable's file size is much smaller, opening the game is much faster).

Direct link to the post about Denuvo:
A new update? So I was playing an inferior version of the game?
:jj_mofo:

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
Yeah, devs need to stop forcing people to play in first person. Most first person games actually have character models in place anyway. There's absolutely no reason to not offer the option, especially for single player game (I understand in MP games, playing in 3rd person would give you an advantage).

smh

Reactions: lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Worse case scenario is to get diablo 1 via unsavory means, but id much rather give my money to blizzard directly
Yeah, devs need to stop forcing people to play in first person. Most first person games actually have character models in place anyway. There's absolutely no reason to not offer the option, especially for single player game (I understand in MP games, playing in 3rd person would give you an advantage).
Eh I dunno, it depends on the game. Talos Principle lets you play either in 3rd or first person view and switch between them through options. Some engines may not allow for a character model to be controlled, but I'd agree that more games should give the option of playing either in first or 3rd person view mode.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
To make everything look right in 1st person view the player model needs to be heavily distorted so that would need to be adjusted including all the animations. It's not just a toggle but involes lots of bug testing. It also can significantly change the gameplay especially in horror games. No problem if it's a mod, more complicated if officially supported.

Deleted member 113

omg AC7 is HARD!!

Caveat: I've never played AC before but I'm still getting my ass kicked on every other mission, on the easy difficulty with standard controls =/
I'll hand in my hardcore cred...
You're not the only one.
It's been a few years since I played an AC game, I selected the normal difficulty, and lost 3 times during the first mission. :giggle:

---

In other news, I really have to buy this game:

If anyone is interested in getting this game, the publisher has a Humble widget for just a little more than the Steam price, that includes any DLCs they may do:
https://www.humblebundle.com/widget/v2/product/mr_maze_deal/FtgLIIvy8l

Last edited by a moderator:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Every day that passes is one day closer to Yakuza releasing!
Though it's not like it's likely that I can finish up the stuff I'm playing right now until then, but :wd_dealwithit:

Also, I wonder when Digimon Survive will release. It's been pretty quite on that front for a while now, unless I missed something.

Grabbed FF5-6 for about $3.5 (75% discount for each game) in russian cowboy key store :steam_pig_waving:
:minos_cowboy:

Ascheroth

Nov 12, 2018
Jump Force has never looked appealing to me from everything I saw.
But tbh I have no real interest in Anime fighters to begin with.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
These past weeks I have been wanting to play on a portable console. I have been watching videos on how to build a portable console with a Raspberry Pi. Kinda interesting to build one myself. But it's going to cost a lot money to buy the parts and also tools to solder and other kind of process. Plus those videos that I have watch don't result into a very good unit: bad screens, no sound, and the shells that feel uncomfortable in one or two ways.
I think one of builds costs more than 100 euro for only parts. Kinda way over my budget.

So I have dug in my old stash and found my old Game Boy Advance and NDS. I was thinking maybe buy a flash cart for GBA, since I don't have one. But the GBA doesn't have a backlit screen, so playing this thing requires a good lightning in the room. I looked around on how to change to a backlit screen, but these screens cost a fortune too.
So I ended up with the NDS which I already have a flash cart. I switched the old 2gb sd card to a 16gb card and added some games to it. The NDS still works and the flash cart also :D The flash cart has the feature to play GBA games too, but I lost the GBA cartridge that the flash cart requires. So I cannot play GBA games :(

Is there any good NDS games that I should play? No Pokeman games please :D

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
These past weeks I have been wanting to play on a portable console. I have been watching videos on how to build a portable console with a Raspberry Pi. Kinda interesting to build one myself. But it's going to cost a lot money to buy the parts and also tools to solder and other kind of process. Plus those videos that I have watch don't result into a very good unit: bad screens, no sound, and the shells that feel uncomfortable in one or two ways.
I think one of builds costs more than 100 euro for only parts. Kinda way over my budget.

So I have dug in my old stash and found my old Game Boy Advance and NDS. I was thinking maybe buy a flash cart for GBA, since I don't have one. But the GBA doesn't have a backlit screen, so playing this thing requires a good lightning in the room. I looked around on how to change to a backlit screen, but these screens cost a fortune too.
So I ended up with the NDS which I already have a flash cart. I switched the old 2gb sd card to a 16gb card and added some games to it. The NDS still works and the flash cart also :D The flash cart has the feature to play GBA games too, but I lost the GBA cartridge that the flash cart requires. So I cannot play GBA games :(

Is there any good NDS games that I should play? No Pokeman games please :D
NDS?
Off the top of my head
DBZ Attack of the Saiyans
Henry Hatsworth
Ace Attorney series
Prof. Layton series
Monster Tale
Batman Brave and the Bold
Resident Evil Deadly Aim (RE1 on NDS)
Zero collection
Sonic collection

EDIT: Some more
Aliens Infestation
Bomberman 2 DS (Only in EU and JP)
Contra 4
Castlevania games on NDS
Chrono Trigger DS
Contact
Retro Game Challenge
The Dark Spire
Digimon World Dusk and Dawn
Dragon Quest 4~6
Rocket Slime
Starfy
Elite Beat Angels
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon
Tingle's Rosey Rupee Land
Front Mission DS
Ghost Trick
Hotel Dusk
Last Window (sequel to Hotel Dusk)
Infinite Space
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Knights in the Nightmare
Konami Classic Arcade hits
Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
LEGO Rockband
Lock's Quest (this got released on Steam btw)
Lost in Blue series
Mario & Luigi 2 and 3 (not a lot of people liked 2, so at least go for 3: Bowser's Inside Story)
Megaman Star Force
Megaman ZX Advent
Metroid Prime Hunters
Meteos
Might and Magic clash of heroes
Mr. Driller Drill Spirits
Shiren the Warrior NDS
Ninja Gaiden
Okamiden
Peggle Dual Shot
Phantasy Star Zero
Picross
Picross 3D
Pic Pic
Pokemon Conquest (it's like if you gave Pokemon to KOEI and they made a strategy Pokemon game)
Radiant Historia (localization is a little wonky in the original NDS release)
SMT: Strange Journey
Devil Survivor 1 and 2
SNK vs. Capcom card fighters ds (this game was recalled on release due to a bug that stopped progression so be careful if you're planning on getting a copy)
Sola to Robo (get the XSEED ver. NDS games are region free and the XSEED release has the good localization)
Soul Bubbles
Spiderman Web of Shadows
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions ds
Super Princess Peach
Tetris ds
world ends with you
Trace Memory/Another Code (different name in EU and US)
Trauma Center DS
Viva Pinata DS
WarioWare games
Bangai-O Spirits

Had to look up a list I read online and made a shortlist of games to look into.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kvik and lashman

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
NDS?
Off the top of my head
DBZ Attack of the Saiyans
Henry Hatsworth
Ace Attorney series
Prof. Layton series
Monster Tale
Batman Brave and the Bold
Resident Evil Deadly Aim (RE1 on NDS)
Zero collection
Sonic collection
Forgot the acronym for Nintendo DS? :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:
Thanks for the list, will take a on these games

Reactions: Tizoc and lashman

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Forgot the acronym for Nintendo DS? :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:
Thanks for the list, will take a on these games
I've added some more :V See which of them could interest you. DBZ Attack of the Saiyans is a neat jRPG that is a 're-imaging' of the Saiyan Saga with Krillin and co. going on jRPG-ish adventures and battles.

Reactions: Deku and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah though so.. there is just some text in the insert media dialog, so got confused:
oh, it's just the standard xenforo text for media embeds :p it basically means: "these sources will appear as embeds, everything else will just be a link" :p

Reactions: fokkusu
Status
Not open for further replies.