Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

So I dropped around a dozen hours into UnReal World over the weekend. I've dabbled with it here and there since it landed on Steam, but this is the first time I've dug into it proper. Good gravy does it impress.

The elevator pitch is that it's a hardcore survival sim set in iron-age Finland. Complimented with authentic folklore of the period.

The interesting hook is that it first launched back in in 1992 and has been in active development since. The Finnish duo Sami Maaranen & Erkka Lehmus have been at it for close to 30 years now. I guess they're in the Guinness World Records not only for the longest a single title has seen active development, but also they're quoted as making the very first open-world survival game. Crazy.

What I find most attractive about it is the fine level of detail devoted to almost any activity in the game. The level of of minutia that throttles the pacing and gives a genuine appreciation for all the real work that goes into living off the land. Survival activities that might take only a couple/few steps in other games (Minecraft, The Long Dark) have a longer production chain in URW. Felling a tree to start a fire, for example also involves stripping branches, spruce twigs & bark for kindling, cutting the primary log into blocks, the blocks into firewood. It slows down the pace that some may be accustomed to in genre peers but at the same time offers a greater sense of ownership to the character, setting & gameplay loop.

This level of detail can be found throughout the various game systems, from clothing/outfitting, tracking & hunting game, condition management, crafting tools & weapons, building shelters & cabins, etc. etc. There's a lot of gears running under the hood, all feeding into and complimenting one another. I'm reminded of other hyper-detailed sims like Dwarf Fortress and RimWorld and what I find most attractive about them. Only here it's dealing in real-world history and plausible survival skills which can lead to a greater sense of authenticity.

And much like the titles mentioned there's a satisfaction that comes from acclimating to the generous learning curve. It's thankfully mitigated by a thorough 2-part, goal oriented tutorial.

Presentation is expectedly low-fi and folk-art charming. Mixing sprite work with photography. It's an odd combo that winds up feeling inviting & quirky, like you're playing something off the beaten path. It all winds up feeling quite refreshing in contrast to the hyper-realism commonly found in big-budget fare.

The entire production reminds me of that unique feeling of discovering and appreciating a band that few talk about. Like you have this secret discovery in your pocket. It may not be for some most but man does it fire my imagination.

You can find the game on Steam but there's also a FREE up to date, complete build available on the official website for those who might be curious.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

So if the rumors are true that the rtx 3080ti is rumored to be in the north of 20 tflops, well damn.

Still, the Series X looks like a strong box.
Are you telling me my 2060 is more powerful already (12.9 tflops). :precure_hana_think:
I have no idea what tflops mean though.

Reactions: arts&crafts

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Hot take: those are just a bunch of buzzwords that mean nothing by themselves.
I mean, variable rate shading does mean something, and it's nice that AMD apparently caught up to NV and Intel in supporting it.

Will be great to have support for VRS in more games, it's cool (especially for VR).

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Are you telling me my 2060 is more powerful already (12.9 tflops). :precure_hana_think:
I have no idea what tflops mean though.
Tflops are meaningless across different architectures. I don't think a 2070 will match either consoles.
They are expected to be around 2080 but probably with access to more VRAM.

What makes me sad is that Ampere will probably have 8-10gb of VRAM.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
Tflops are meaningless across different architectures. I don't think a 2070 will match either consoles.
They are expected to be around 2080 but probably with access to more VRAM.

What makes me sad is that Ampere will probably have 8-10gb of VRAM.
Consoles don't have dedicated VRAM anymore so that's a bit like saying they support 120fps. Sure, in theory a game could allocated 8GB or more as VRAM but it probably won't happen very often, shared memory was already supposed to be a big advantage this gen but nah. Still Nvidia should stop skimping and give their consumer-high-end cards 16GB this time around.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
There was a news some days ago about Nvidia and Microsoft enabling porting of Direct X ray-tracing to Vulkan.
What's the take of people who understand these words in this order here ? Cool for AMD cards ? Are the current AMD cards more interesting now ?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
ToCS3 is getting a demo on Steam ;)

(And sometimes I wish it wasn't, so much extra packaging work :p)

There was a news some days ago about Nvidia and Microsoft enabling porting of Direct X ray-tracing to Vulkan.
What's the take of people who understand these words in this order here ? Cool for AMD cards ? Are the current AMD cards more interesting now ?
Has nothing to do with AMD cards at this point.

It's likely a portent that the future vendor-independent Vulkan raytracing extension will look a lot like the current NV-only one (which in turn looks a lot like DXR). So nothing too surprising really, and probably by this time next year you can write cross-vendor hardware accelerated RT programs with Vulkan and run them on both NV and AMD HW (and maybe Intel too?).

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
It's the first time in a while that new console news don't interest me at all. In fact i think i'm going to skip consoles for the first time ever.

I have always owned consoles every generation since the NES, in parallel with having computers since the C64/Amiga. But now, i don't really feel the need to get one since more and more games are coming to PC anyway, especially with japanese games finally seeing the light. Not to mention the games look and run better on PC, and you get the bonus of being able to mod the games, use whatever controller you want or just use a mouse/keyboard, not having to pay a fee to be able to play online, etc... And the few Sony first party exclusives ( at least Microsoft puts them on PC so that's not an issue here ) don't really interest me enough to spend the money on a console, i'd prefer to put that money towards something else.

Right now i only have the Switch plugged in, haven't really touched my PS4 since Persona 5 came out, besides turning it on to try a demo here and there.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Will the consoles even make it in 2020 ? With n-Cov and short supply on some components I'm not certain.
Just a thought, not wishing that, consoles are cool, new consoles are cool, system wars are dumb.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
Will the consoles even make it in 2020 ? With n-Cov and short supply on some components I'm not certain.
Just a thought, not wishing that, consoles are cool, new consoles are cool, system wars are dumb.
Depends on how long this virus outbreak will happened, it's really bad there.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
They will launch in 2020, even if they have to do a staggered launch, like NA + Select European countries in 2020, then the rest later in 2021.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Consoles don't have dedicated VRAM anymore so that's a bit like saying they support 120fps. Sure, in theory a game could allocated 8GB or more as VRAM but it probably won't happen very often, shared memory was already supposed to be a big advantage this gen but nah. Still Nvidia should stop skimping and give their consumer-high-end cards 16GB this time around.
16gb of unified memory could very well leave >8 for the GPU alone. And with a developer environment entirely focused on performance it's expected that you can't really match memory efficiency on the PC side.

I also think 16gb on the 3070/3080 makes a lot of sense, but with GDDR6 prices being what they are it's sadly unlikely or at a 50% premium.
They could release Ampere cards with 8-10 and in 6 months a refresh with more memory.

Either way not terribly exciting. At least ray tracing performance should be substantially improved, I think 70% for the ray tracing pass is not unrealistic.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh God, are you telling me that component scarcity will impact GPU pricing ? As if it wasn't already dreadful.
I didn't need two testicles anyways.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
It's the first time in a while that new console news don't interest me at all. In fact i think i'm going to skip consoles for the first time ever.

I have always owned consoles every generation since the NES, in parallel with having computers since the C64/Amiga. But now, i don't really feel the need to get one since more and more games are coming to PC anyway, especially with japanese games finally seeing the light. Not to mention the games look and run better on PC, and you get the bonus of being able to mod the games, use whatever controller you want or just use a mouse/keyboard, not having to pay a fee to be able to play online, etc... And the few Sony first party exclusives ( at least Microsoft puts them on PC so that's not an issue here ) don't really interest me enough to spend the money on a console, i'd prefer to put that money towards something else.

Right now i only have the Switch plugged in, haven't really touched my PS4 since Persona 5 came out, besides turning it on to try a demo here and there.
I hear you.

This current gen is the first since Atari 2600 that I haven't owned at least one of the consoles. Doubt I'll be picking up any of the new ones either.

Beyond what you've mentioned above, I've found that as I step into middle-age, my tastes have simply gravitated away from the AAA bombast & spectacle lineup that is the bread & butter of the console experience. These days I find myself far more drawn to strategy, business management, colony builders and sims. That and indies in the truer sense of the word (can't believe some consider titles like Ori or Cuphead "indie" but maybe that's just me).

Guess I'm just becoming an old man screaming at the clouds as I've absolutely zero interest in your God of Wars and your Last of Us'es, lol. (Still lined up for the next Bethesda sandbox rpg joint though. So I guess it's not completely black & white.)

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Oh God, are you telling me that component scarcity will impact GPU pricing ? As if it wasn't already dreadful.
I didn't need two testicles anyways.
Hmmm. I don't know what the going rate for a single ball is... you might want to look into selling one of your kidneys instead!

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hmmm. I don't know what the going rate for a single ball is... you might want to look into selling one of your kidneys instead!
Yeah, but having a spare kidney can be useful. I'm playing it smart.

There is always Geforce Now.
You know what, I never really considered GFN. But if it allows me to max games at 1080p/60, that could very well be a nice way to wait until prices lower a bit. I don't have a 120+ monitor anyways, and 1440p interests me but I'm not losing sleep over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Will probably pick up Hunt: Showdown before the discount ends. Hearing a lot of praise and liked it quite a lot during the free weekend a while back.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
their PC coverage is being handled pretty much exclusively by Alex nowadays ... that's why it's great! :)
Definitely a great addition to the team. Let's hope he has enough influence on DF's PC coverage.

I recall a time where Digital Foundry was oddly reluctant to clearly lay bare the difference in capabilities between a spectrum of PC hardware and consoles. That was circa 2008-2011.

Ah, those were the days where 60fps was considered beyond futile, where PC enhancements were too often minimized and of course where anisotropic filtering was "not how Creators intended", because obviously devs love 4xAF and very low res textures.

Right now I feel what's possible on PC weighs more objectively in the narrative.

Reactions: Swenhir and lashman

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I was like, hmmm.. I'm pretty sure I have New Mexico.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the technical reasons, we're changing/ alternating some content of said DLC - and videos need be adjusted (and reuploaded) to correspond with those changes."

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I was like, hmmm.. I'm pretty sure I have New Mexico.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the technical reasons, we're changing/ alternating some content of said DLC - and videos need be adjusted (and reuploaded) to correspond with those changes."
well ... there you go then :p

i wonder what changed

Reactions: Nabs

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

What the what?!?!

Gotta admit I'm unreasonably excited about this element of the DLC alone.

The OG OST is divided into 2 albums, Vol. 1 & Vol. 2, consisting of 31 songs and clocking in at over 2 hours. It's killer ambient background music (see example above) that I listen to all the time as white noise while reading on my Metro commute to and from work.

Looks like the Royalty DLC will be adding roughly 50% more music goodness from the same artist.

So good.gif

Reactions: Angelo and lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
ToCS3 is getting a demo on Steam ;)

(And sometimes I wish it wasn't, so much extra packaging work :p)

Has nothing to do with AMD cards at this point.

It's likely a portent that the future vendor-independent Vulkan raytracing extension will look a lot like the current NV-only one (which in turn looks a lot like DXR). So nothing too surprising really, and probably by this time next year you can write cross-vendor hardware accelerated RT programs with Vulkan and run them on both NV and AMD HW (and maybe Intel too?).
Does progress carry over like in the PS4 demo?

Last edited:
Reactions: QFNS
Status
Not open for further replies.