Community MetaSteam | February 2020 - Marching Towards Greatness

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The AAAs stopped doing downloadable demos a year or two into the 360/PS3 generation because they came to the conclusion that demos convinced people to skip the game. That's why we don't often get demos.

If I remember correctly, a lot of XBLA developers were also resentful that demos were mandatory on their games because of this. And it's why MS ditched that stipulation.

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Now this, this is true art.

(Legit though, this both looks pretty fun and is a pretty enjoyably stupid, yet smart parody.)

The positioning of the sack on the chair like crossed legs is making me mildly uncomfortable lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Wishlisting should indicate that people are interested in buying a game. A demo download doesn't indicate whether anybody would buy it, just that they were willing to try it. And if they didn't wishlist it after trying it, well, that might tell an algorighm not to promote it?

Reactions: inky and C-Dub

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
Think I will play Gujian 3 this weekend, those of you have played it, how much of an RPG is it? Like is the story good, characters and such? All the praise I've seen has mostly been about how big the game is.
Great minds, I just downloaded it to start tomorrow lol. I've heard the story is pretty decent but the way it's been translated makes the dialogue and text a lot more utilitarian, straight forward and basic than the original Chinese which takes away the life of a lot of the writing.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Great minds, I just downloaded it to start tomorrow lol. I've heard the story is pretty decent but the way it's been translated makes the dialogue and text a lot more utilitarian, straight forward and basic than the original Chinese which takes away the life of a lot of the writing.
Awesome!:D I don't mind simple dialogue as long as it's overall immersive, I'm just little worried that it will feel like a MMORPG where I just click through all dialogue and just do objevtives not even knowing what's happening storywise.

Reactions: ShadowAUS

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Think I will play Gujian 3 this weekend, those of you have played it, how much of an RPG is it? Like is the story good, characters and such? All the praise I've seen has mostly been about how big the game is.
Put a lot of hours in and enjoyed the time spent a fair amount. However, the online requirement for save games combined with the complete fucking shit online service provided to save your game every 5 minutes pissed me off so much I just put it down and am highly unlikely to ever go back. Play game for 5 minutes, goes to save, fails, game pauses to tell you that saving is fucked, click a button to carry on playing. Rinse, repeat.
YMMV though as I was playing when the game had a sale on and perhaps there are less than 5 people playing now making save games possible without constant interruptions to playing the game.

Devs that force online requirements for single player games are shitheads.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Put a lot of hours in and enjoyed the time spent a fair amount. However, the online requirement for save games combined with the complete fucking shit online service provided to save your game every 5 minutes pissed me off so much I just put it down and am highly unlikely to ever go back. Play game for 5 minutes, goes to save, fails, game pauses to tell you that saving is fucked, click a button to carry on playing. Rinse, repeat.
YMMV though as I was playing when the game had a sale on and perhaps there are less than 5 people playing now making save games possible without constant interruptions to playing the game.

Devs that force online requirements for single player games are shitheads.
Did you select North America or China server at the beginning? North America looks to be just some Amazon AWS server and I've only had one issue in 30 hours with it. I've heard that the other one can be pretty bad yeah (at least from our location, I guess it would work alright from within China?)

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
All the talk about demos made me remember something from the golden age of demos (96 to 02-isch).
The demo for the excellent game Future Cop: LAPD.

In the demo you play the first level of the game, we're you attack the headquarters of the first super criminal/villain of the game. Throughout the level, said villain taunts you over the radio. The villain (whose name I can't remember) had a stereotypical African-American voice (think Shaft).

A few years later, I actually bought the full game and played it all through.
Suddenly, the voice of the first villain was completely changed, (and if I remember correctly) was now a stereotypical British man instead.
Pretty much the same voice lines, but a completely different actor.

It always made me wonder, why it had been totally changed, while everything else about the level stayed exactly the same!

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Not sure if already published, but here are 3 more Alyx pics. My hype is steadily increasing. Got some other VR games to finish before Alyx is out, so need to be somewhat quick.
Im really interested to see how a full on VR game plays. I only really dabble in demos and short VR experiences (and Elite Dangerous) so im curious as to how it will play.

Wish the Index & controllers weren't sold out.

Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im really interested to see how a full on VR game plays. I only really dabble in demos and short VR experiences (and Elite Dangerous) so im curious as to how it will play.

Wish the Index & controllers weren't sold out.
My biggest problem with VR games so far have been lack of interactivity. Having a VR headset on is great and you feel immersed, but knowing that you can't pick up that cup that is on the board and play around with the cup feels really bad. Thanks to Boneworks, Saints & Sinners and now Alyx this seems to turn around.

What Will is doing with the box at 07:00, as in, how he browses the stuff in the box is so incredible cool and makes VR gameplay stand out from flatscreen gaming. The best VR games have gameplay interactivity that you couldn't do in flatscreen gaming. VR needs more of this:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
And if they didn't wishlist it after trying it, well, that might tell an algorighm not to promote it?
In my experience, which other people might share, I have downloaded demos for games, and this would postpone the addition of the game to the wishlist, because I would think that I will decide after trying the demo. Usually, I don't try the demo, because who plays games, right? So, to me, it is possible that putting a demo online is detrimental to the dev in a wishlist-based recommender.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I was trying to figure out what they were calling a Demo and the only thing I can come up with is the Beta test for Yes, Your Grace

I was getting so confused as to what that guy meant, the thing asking people to test and find problems with potentially throwing people off from wanting to purchase the final product? Yeah cool. I unwishlisted the game after that "Demo"

Literally none of the games they have for sale have downloadable demos unless I am blind

ShadowAUS

Swooping Is Bad
Feb 21, 2019
Rural NSW
I was trying to figure out what they were calling a Demo and the only thing I can come up with is the Beta test for Yes, Your Grace

I was getting so confused as to what that guy meant, the thing asking people to test and find problems with potentially throwing people off from wanting to purchase the final product? Yeah cool. I unwishlisted the game after that "Demo"

Literally none of the games they have for sale have downloadable demos unless I am blind
The Demo has since been removed which is why you can't find it.

Reactions: Madventure

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Possible.

By the way, remember LudoNarraCon? That is the digital event that Valve created, and demos were temporary. I guess temporary demos are the way to push people to try the game, and it is the correct way to drive additions to wishlists. At least, prior to the game release.

Last edited:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
In my experience, which other people might share, I have downloaded demos for games, and this would postpone the addition of the game to the wishlist, because I would think that I will decide after trying the demo. Usually, I don't try the demo, because who plays games, right? So, to me, it is possible that putting a demo online is detrimental to the dev in a wishlist-based recommender.
Interesting. I don't do that, I try to get it on the wishlist immediately because if I don't I'll probably forget about it. If I liked the demo, I put it near the top. If I hated it, I'll unwishlist it. And if I'm not sure or would buy it cheap, I'll keep it on the list near the bottom because at least steam reminds me it exists when it releases/goes on sale. I'm lost without that list.

I wonder if the variation in how people use the wishlist could be minimized by making it easier to categorize somehow... like if the wishlist worked just like a shelf where you could customize it and sort it however you wanted.

And personally, I wish I could add non-steam games/books/whatever to my wishlist to keep track of releases, sales, stuff I want to buy, but that's another thing.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
If there is a demo of a game that looks interesting. I download the demo, but wait to put it on my wishlist when Ive tried the demo. So it is when I have played the demo I decide if Im gonna put it on my wishlist or not.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
If there is a demo of a game that looks interesting. I download the demo, but wait to put it on my wishlist when Ive tried the demo. So it is when I have played the demo I decide if Im gonna put it on my wishlist or not.
The indiepocalypse is upon us because you guys won't use your wishlist right. Unbelievable.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So Dreams is pretty damn cool, but the framerate kinda suck, or the Imp (the creature you use to control the game menus with) is janky by design.

Hope it comes to PC soon, PC modders will love the game.

Also really happy I don't need to have PS Plus to play other peoples creations.

Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So Dreams is pretty damn cool, but the framerate kinda suck, or the Imp (the creature you use to control the game menus with) is janky be design.

Hope it comes to PC soon, PC modders will love the game.

Also really happy I don't need to have PS Plus to play other peoples creations.
Hopefully the talk of it potentially coming to PC is true

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Whew, imagine Ubi having to pay the 30% tax from those 3€. Smart move avoiding Steam, big brains doing big business over there.
It's kind of ridiculous. They are obviously desperate for a playerbase, and the money is in their DLC anyway. If they are pretty much giving the game away already literally they are only benefiting from that first month rush that's good only for that fiscal quarter and nothing else. For all the talk about all their games being long term services, their strategy around TD2 has been stupidly shortsighted.

All their PC moves have been driven by inane clueless executive short term profit logic over the years, so it's not surprising. Keep fucking that dog Ubi.

Reactions: goat and derExperte

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Guess it wasn't selling at 11€ lol. DLC being 60€ makes me not wanna buy it tho.
Yeah that was what I was thinking also, that the DLC is going to be a pain to get, they usually put a good discount on the gold edition so in the future it will be more expensive to get "everything". BUT if it is like the first game, the main game has more than enough content that one is satisfied.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Wolcen is pretty damn good (played a few min), but I need to get through Kenutucky Route Zero, Spyro games, Yooka Laylee and I wannaw play more of Factorio, Rimworld and Garrys Mod (just got addicted to it) anmd Im having a good time with Sairento VR and in march there will at least be Animal Crossing, Doom Eternal, Alyx and presumably Satisfactory and I really want to buy Daemon x Machina and Saints & Sinners.

And that's just on Steam. I got Luigis Mansion 3, Tourist demo and 3 Houses on Swithc to play.

Too much and Tim actually wants me to care about his store.

Status
Not open for further replies.