Community MetaSteam | February 2023 - A 90's dystopian adventure in the digiworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I just got a YouTube ad to sue Valve.

Funny how they don't say Valve and just say "the makers of Steam"

By the way do they actually have a case?

I think this has to do with Steam keys or something like that, some of it did sort of make sense. Valve sort of backing themselves into a corner but it not really having a negative effect on anyone.

• Toucan
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Oof. Well i only plan to play it in co-op, so I guess I'm stuck with epic crap. Doesn't make sense why tho... :huhblob:
From what I can tell, it looks like only uses EOS, I do not think you need to do anything with Epic accounts unless you play with someone on Epic. I cancelled out of the install of the Epic overlay and everything appears to be running like normal.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Well Returnal is another Sony launch that kinda underperformed. And it is what 3rd or 4th in a row? They really need to think through their both pricing and release delay timing. I really doubt that TLoU Part 1 will move needle that much.

Reactions: xinek and lashman
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
From what I can tell, it looks like only uses EOS, I do not think you need to do anything with Epic accounts unless you play with someone on Epic. I cancelled out of the install of the Epic overlay and everything appears to be running like normal.
Thanks! this is what I was looking for, I did the same with Sackboy but wasn't sure if it would be the same on Windows.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
i woulsnr say doing half of what Uncharted did on first half a day as underperformed ... its much smaller IP ... with little to no marketing
Well it's technically more desirable release than Uncharted for PC users. It's not 4th entry in the franchise, it's rogue like shooter that should play much better on M&K than on Gamepad and it offers more tech than PS5 release.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Just have time to load up Returnal and play for a few minutes before I have to work. Glad to read the stutters will be gone after a while, hope that's true.

DLSS shimmering in depth of field is apparent in the first cutscene so I'll probably change the dll to 2.5.1/3.1.1 and see if that fixes it. Other than that 65-120 fps, 4K, epic settings, high ray tracing and dlss on balanced in the first few rooms for my 3080 12gb is a good sign. All the dualsense features is working as well. Can't wait to play it later.
Hmm, looks like I have to look into this changing DLSS version thing.
And what are those lauded dualsense features btw ? I know about the haptic (?) triggers but is there something else ?

edit - Also have to see if this EOS shit isn’t already installed and nuke it. But don’t mind me here, it’s a memo for my future woken up self.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Hmm, looks like I have to look into this changing DLSS version thing.
And what are those lauded dualsense features btw ? I know about the haptic (?) triggers but is there something else ?

edit - Also have to see if this EOS shit isn’t already installed and nuke it. But don’t mind me here, it’s a memo for my future woken up self.
Just the usual. Haptic feedback (good implementation here) , adaptive trigger (they use it as a dual stage trigger thing like a gamecube controller) and the speaker for some immersion. Might be old news for returning players but since I don't have a ps5., it's pretty cool.

I've reached the 2nd biome and yeah, I dig the game a lot. Although I hope they can eliminate/minimize the loading stutters. It breaks the immersion somewhat.

Reactions: Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Returnal seems really neat so far.
{...]
Also, DLSSTweaks seems to work to force DLAA.
Minor update: when forcing DLAA, I suggest replacing the dlss dll with 3.1, and selecting "Preset F" in DLSSTweaks.
Significantly better quality that way in my opinion, especially resolving the rain (of which there is a lot)

Also, unrelated, but I could never play a game like this on a controller.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I'm neurotic enough to frankly hesitate about how I will play the game. It was obviously made for controllers and playing it with m+kb will assuredly make it easier.
Are there video game psychotherapists ? :thinking-face:

PS. Barely related but this reminds me about how size... changes things ? I don't really have issues playing a FPS with a controller, but on steam deck ? Burn this shit to hell. Don't know what's the big difference there.

PPS. Sometimes I FIERCELY regret not buying your old GPU, Durante

Last edited:

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
I know I already mentioned it, but I just browsed GG.deals out of boredom and, yep, Wild Hearts pricing never ceases to amuse me.

Best official retailer price 69.99e
Best key reseller price 79.37e

This game is sent to war with a second hand Swiss knife and a little pep talk.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I think Returnal’s low player stats is just emblematic of the sketchy performance of a game releasing in a packed quarter.

Spend £50 on this, or one of the many other amazing games releasing in the next 6-8 weeks (and beyond)? I think for a lot of people Returnal got wishlisted rather than purchased. I’ve prepurchased a fair few games this quarter and if I put any of them side-by-side with Returnal, I’m not picking Returnal.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Anime vampire survivors means instant purchase for me.
There's a free game inspired by Vampire Survivors that is based on Hololive Vtubers (and so, it has an anime aesthetic).
In the most recent version it has 29 characters.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I know I already mentioned it, but I just browsed GG.deals out of boredom and, yep, Wild Hearts pricing never ceases to amuse me.

Best official retailer price 69.99e
Best key reseller price 79.37e

This game is sent to war with a second hand Swiss knife and a little pep talk.
And it doesn't help that it looks like last gen game at best.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
First rule of EA Partner : you don't partner with EA.

• This!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Re Returnal I clicked cancel during EOS installation and the game still booted with no complaints. I don't intend to play online anyway but that seems to work too, it goes online, lets me search for or create a public or private game, I even connected to someone but then got insta disconnected, maybe he left, Idk. Maybe it's not necessary and is just a redundant inclusion, maybe they use EOS for their online backend but the actual installation of the client isn't needed.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Looks like an interesting game and there's a demo.

There's a free game inspired by Vampire Survivors that is based on Hololive Vtubers (and so, it has an anime aesthetic).
In the most recent version it has 29 characters.

Yeah HoloCure is quite good

Reactions: ezodagrom

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
I'm neurotic enough to frankly hesitate about how I will play the game. It was obviously made for controllers and playing it with m+kb will assuredly make it easier.
Try both maybe? It's a roguelike anyway. You'll adjust in a run or two. I'm planning to play it with dualsense for now, maybe if the difficulty ramps up I'll switch to kbm.

Minor update: when forcing DLAA, I suggest replacing the dlss dll with 3.1, and selecting "Preset F" in DLSSTweaks.
Significantly better quality that way in my opinion, especially resolving the rain (of which there is a lot)

Re Returnal I clicked cancel during EOS installation and the game still booted with no complaints. I don't intend to play online anyway but that seems to work too, it goes online, lets me search for or create a public or private game, I even connected to someone but then got insta disconnected, maybe he left, Idk. Maybe it's not necessary and is just a redundant inclusion, maybe they use EOS for their online backend but the actual installation of the client isn't needed.
So, you guys also experience loading/streaming stutter in Returnal right? Just wanted to make sure.

Reactions: lashman and Li Kao

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, this was my experience with it at 1440p with my massively outdated PC: Played this a bit. Can't maintain 60fps in the benchmark, goes down to about 40 at the worst moment no matter the settings, so I guess I'll lock it to 30-40 and stick with Epic-ish settings.

It doesn't look so epic tbh. Also got some flickering like texture z fighting here and there (mostly seen in the scene getting close to that first body), some weird loding of shading shifting around pretty massively as you advance and many assets change lod way too closely and abruptly too.

I seem to get some micro stuttering too when just doing stuff with not much happening, the benchmark didn't show it, just when I start shooting or boost around Idk, I don't have a fps counter on outside the benchmark but it just seems to hitch for a fraction of a 2nd, I can feel it. At any settings that, lowest too.

The game seems alright. I need to re-start it and actually watch the intro cos I skipped all that, I should have known it'd just plop you in game seamlessly.

Not much story to it I take it? Since it throws the twist right away, who's that first dead astronaut etc. Then again that part justifies the whole gameplay style.

Also, this lady can obviously just squeeze through the bars of the giant gates you unlock. Noone noticed that?

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
I feel this so hard. I still will only play Resident Evil games with controller, even though they would probably feel so much better with M+K.

But I tried Returnal on M+K, and it seems like it won't change much. The game has aggressive auto-aim (which I think was on even with M+K). You get a massive reticle and your gun seems to just snap to whatever is inside that reticle. The emphasis is on moving and dodging bullets. The benefits you gain from M+K's better aim seem small. The bigger thing I guess is whether you want the more precise movement of analog sticks vs the ability to snap 180º in an instant, which is probably a fair tradeoff.

Not much story to it I take it? Since it throws the twist like, right away on who's that first dead astronaut etc. Then again that part justifies the whole gameplay style.
I got fully spoiled on the story, and it's what made me want to play. The game has some wild things happen. Selene finding her own corpses is just the premise.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I have access to Returnal via Family Share (gonna wait to play it cause I feel like a mooch) and wondering how to not install EOS or the EGOS Overlay thingy?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

If people can play Dark Souls on a banjo or whetever, then you can play pretty any game on controller or whatever else you want. I do agree that it's weird why you wouldn't want to use the best kind of input device, if you do play on PC and the game is clearly suited for KBM.

Reactions: Panda Pedinte
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I have access to Returnal via Family Share (gonna wait to play it cause I feel like a mooch) and wondering how to not install EOS or the EGOS Overlay thingy?
once you launch the game, there will be an installation pop-up for Epic services, just click cancel, game will launch normally after that :)

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
First rule of EA Partner : you don't partner with EA.
Not really, EA Originals is great deal for developers. Basically EA pays for the game, and after they break even all other revenue is developers.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Reading revievs for Horizon: Call of the Mountain make me think Valve is simply far ahead when it comes to game design and game development, especially in VR, than most of the industry. And Alyx released 2 years ago.

Of course it helps that Valve is private and self-funded with almost unlimited time and money for projects.

• This!
Reactions: lashman and Kyougar

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Same. I just can't aim with any dexterity with an analog stick.

One thing that's neat for me, is I can set the alt-fire button to an extra button that my mouse has, that's where your ring finger sits. It feels about as magical as the fancy haptic trigger stuff.

Morten88

Aug 8, 2021
once you launch the game, there will be an installation pop-up for Epic services, just click cancel, game will launch normally after that :)
Do you know if you can do co-op with a friend that also use steam without having to use EOS?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
If people can play Dark Souls on a banjo or whetever, then you can play pretty any game on controller or whatever else you want. I do agree that it's weird why you wouldn't want to use the best kind of input device, if you do play on PC and the game is clearly suited for KBM.
I'm sure some people can do it, and even do better than me on KBM!

I'm not even someone that insists on always using the "best" input device, I'll sometimes just use a controller for comfort.
But specifically for games like Returnal, I feel like a good portion of my enjoyment of them comes from doing well -- learning the inputs and movesets, and executing the moves I want to make precisely and quickly. And if I were to play it with a controller I just wouldn't feel like I'm pulling off the things I want to do.

Reactions: Mivey

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The Midnight suns thread on otherforum (about the CEO saying it was a critical success but a financial dud) has 13 pages
Xcom threads in general are lucky to get a full page of discussion

CCU of XCOM on Steam is 10 times that of Midnights Sun

... says it all.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman
Status
Not open for further replies.