Community MetaSteam | February 2023 - A 90's dystopian adventure in the digiworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Seems like the preload went live at the same time as the demo yesterday.
I can confirm it was live yesterday as that's when I pre-ordered and started pre-loading. Was a pleasant surprise when Fanatical gave me my key immediately, too.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
No idea if normal edition but deluxe edition is already playable on PS5 and Steam (I suppose on XBOX too but I don't own it).

Not all DLCs from deluxe edition are unlocked now but some of them are.

Vantr

Feb 15, 2021
Now that i see you all buying Nirvana Initiative due to the price issue, you have NO EXCUSE not to play it :Merkel:
I bought Nirvana Initiative but my excuse is Ishin calls for me. Damn Ryoma's sexy manly voice.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
No idea if normal edition but deluxe edition is already playable on PS5 and Steam (I suppose on XBOX too but I don't own it).

Not all DLCs from deluxe edition are unlocked now but some of them are.
What the fuck, you're right. I already have a play button. But... I have plans tonight. :negative-blob:

Also, I was hoping to finish Hi-Fi Rush over the week-end so that I could start Ishin with a little less guilt over all my unfinished games. Maybe I'll just keep pretending it's coming out tuesday lol.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
I'm gonna wait a bit on Ishin it seems. Let them get a patch or two in and that will help me get some time to git gud at Hitman Freelancer.

I made it past the second showdown and almost to the third last night though. Really punishing when the regular missions also have the alerted status all the time. Woof. I'm getting better though. I definitely know a lot more about these maps than I used to.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Before Christmas my old Samsung 27" QD monitor died so I emergency bought a Dell G3223D? 32" 2560x1440p, 165hz, Fast IPS and it's fine but the black levels on IPS are ouch. It was £300 and it's fine aside from blacks being grey so i might pack it off to my sister's kids when i can find a 32" 1440p, 144hz+ curved screen with QD and matte screen or similar.

I hadn't realised how spoilt i was by my old monitor.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I will be reviewing Returnal and I am happy to report that the game is very smooth with ray tracing off. Ray tracing on needs a bit of work but if you are worried about stutters you can rest easy.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Ubisoft really is crazy, they launched Settlers with basically 0 marketing and not on Steam.
They've been so fucking lazy in regards to everything that isn't AssCreed. Maybe its really time for someone to buy Ubisoft and clean house.

The company needs a restart with better leadership that has respect for their IP.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
They've been so fucking lazy in regards to everything that isn't AssCreed. Maybe its really time for someone to buy Ubisoft and clean house.

The company needs a restart with better leadership that has respect for their IP.
No one wants to buy that company and then be on the hook for cutting headcount.

Basically anyone interested in buying Ubisoft or its IP is waiting for it to implode.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

Basically anyone interested in buying Ubisoft or its IP is waiting for it to implode.
Just pay them off so they can fuck off. Nobody will care. Its like Kotick who plans to resign once the MS Activ buyout gets approved.

Its usually 10-20 suits at the top who are responsible for all the bs. Just get rid of them and let the core teams make better games going forward.

They have more than enough talent to be a decent company and good dev.

Even someone like Sony buys them out...they could turn the company around quickly and they make good singleplayer games again. Because these last few years for them have been atrocious. Leadership needs to change.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Meanwhile Saudi Arabia got 8,26 % of Nintendo (they got 7,08 % of Nintendo stocks this wednesday)...

I said before but I'm still amazed Japan government are allowing this according 2019 latest regulations.

But well I'm even more surprised Nintendo -or Yamauchi's family/heritage- itself is allowing this xD.

Last edited:

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Just like THQ, it's better is the company just collapses and others poach the franchises.

I'll give them half a subway for HAWX
Speaking of hardware, I want an OLED monitor that's a) not a TV in disguise, b) is 1080p or maybe 2k if that's not possible and c) doesn't cost a kidney.

I will buy an Odyssey G7 4K soon

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
Meanwhile Saudi Arabia got 8,26 % of Nintendo (they got 7,08 % of Nintendo stocks this wednesday)...

I said before but I'm still amazed Japan government are allowing this according 2019 latest regulations.

But well I'm even more surprised Nintendo -or Yamauchi's family/heritage- itself is allowing this xD.
From the 2nd link, Nintendo doesn't really fall under any of those hardware categories in and of itself. It doesn't directly design and manufacture the parts that make up its consoles, isn't a telecom, and it's software only comes closest to package (though thats kinda vague).
I would think it means controlling stakes and not outright investments, but we'll see. It would be utterly shocking to see Japan or any nation for that matter that isn't Israel or Iran trying to stop MBS and co from investing.

Really hope that this ends up being good.
Soon we'll come to find the lead developer or CFO have ties to despots if it follows the 2023 trend

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Hitting cancel on the epic stuff for Returnal died nothing. I still see the overlay on task manager.

How do I remove this shit?
Another option I have heard folks have used is to go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Returnal\Returnal\Binaries\Win64

Then find the Launcher.ini file and edit the NoOperation from 0 to 1

That said, if the Epic launcher already installed, I think you can uninstall it. I did all this and it has not prompted or installed anything since, even after today's update. Granted, I have not tried co-op to know if this messes up anything specifically, I have heard others have had no issues, but your mileage may vary.

__

Huge Steam beta update:

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Speaking of hardware, I want an OLED monitor that's a) not a TV in disguise, b) is 1080p or maybe 2k if that's not possible and c) doesn't cost a kidney.

you can get a decent 1080p60 OLED monitor for 300€ or even less with a good deal... as a 13"/15" portable :D, but you didn't say anything about size so there you go

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

an OLED monitor that's 1080p is about as likely a find as a unicorn in your local city park. Unless you are fine with a "portable monitor" that's really just a tablet, without a SOC.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Huge Steam beta update:

Fixed issues with big picture where focus was lost after exiting a game! Hells yeah, finally.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I have finished Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon NDS remake Panda Pedinte
The last normal mission was horrible, I have zero interest in the gaiden levels.

Now what ? Shadow of Valentia ? Doesn’t this one has 60+ battles :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat:

Reactions: Panda Pedinte

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Another option I have heard folks have used is to go to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Returnal\Returnal\Binaries\Win64

Then find the Launcher.ini file and edit the NoOperation from 0 to 1
The overlay still runs but EOS isn't. So mostly a win. I found a post where you can kind of stop the overlay but that's mine old.

Also I am recompiling shaders after the ini edit heh.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
One of the many things the Returnal PC port does right is actual parallel ahead of time shader pre-compilation.
And as I expected, when you do that it takes almost no time on a fast PC even with the shader version explosion of UE.

I never stopped playing them. :D
I also didn't, I should have said I'm happy I'm not currently playing any service games anymore.

Last edited:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Returnal runs great for me at 1440p/141FPS with a mix of "Epic" to high settings and RTX + DLSS Balanced. Really no complaints in this department. I've also got it installed an on M2. 3070ti + 8700k.

It's pretty fun. Me and the hubby dumped about ~4 hours into it yesterday, blinked, and the time was gone! We were both surprised. Just got sucked into it and had a lot of fun. The big disappointment though is that co-op implementation. It really treats you like a helper, rather than an actual co-op partner. We can't figure out what items are for who, why some items we both can pick up and others only one of us. Some items disappear when one of us pick it up and others are there in duplicate. Also it's only counting story achievements for him, since he is host, despite the fact that we're both going through story together and I'm viewing cutscenes too for the first time.

Anyway just my 2cents. Good game tho, this particular stuff aside. DS5 controller features are just ok. Hubby said it wasn't worth giving up the precision of M/KB tho.

Edit: Oh that said, we were both surprised at no drivers from Nvidia on launch. Curious about that...

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Returnal runs great for me at 1440p/141FPS with a mix of "Epic" to high settings and RTX + DLSS Balanced. Really no complaints in this department. I've also got it installed an on M2. 3070ti + 8700k.

Edit: Oh that said, we were both surprised at no drivers from Nvidia on launch. Curious about that...
Hmm. 8700k@4.8GHz + 3080 12gb, 32GB DDR 3600 cl18 here, nvme. Latest drivers, which do have a profile for returnal, they even enable rebar for it if you check on nvidia inspector.

If it's not an inconvenience can you post your benchmark result? Here's what I got with epic preset, dlss balanced and rtx settings on high.

This is the first room out of the ship and it's cpu limited since gpu utilization it's not maxed.

Reactions: lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Fire Emblem Shadow of Valentia is niiice. But verbose. Yapyapyap.
Emulation looks iffy on some details, but playing at 6x the original res is pretty glorious.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Hmm. 8700k@4.8GHz + 3080 12gb, 32GB DDR 3600 cl18 here, nvme. Latest drivers, which do have a profile for returnal, they even enable rebar for it if you check on nvidia inspector.

If it's not an inconvenience can you post your benchmark result? Here's what I got with epic preset and rtx settings on high.

This is the first room out of the ship and it's cpu limited since gpu utilization it's not maxed.
Sure. Didn't mean to imply I had a constant 141FPS btw, just that's what I've set as the hard cap since my monitor refreshes at 144 (Technically 165, but i've underclocked it) and I want G-sync active, so I always cap my games at 141. I haven't gotten any FPS drops big enough to make me question/criticize performance. And so far my own personal experience is that the benchmark hammers performance more than the actual game does.

I wonder why you and I have such wildly different CPU usage, despite having same CPU?
Fwiw, I'm only using high shadows and RTX High Lighting, Medium Shadows. And Volumetric Fog = High instead of Epic.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Sure. Didn't mean to imply I had a constant 141FPS btw, just that's what I've set as the hard cap since my monitor refreshes at 144 (Technically 165, but i've underclocked it) and I want G-sync active, so I always cap my games at 141. I haven't gotten any FPS drops big enough to make me question/criticize performance. And so far my own personal experience is that the benchmark hammers performance more than the actual game does.

I wonder why you and I have such wildly different CPU usage, despite having same CPU?
Fwiw, I'm only using high shadows and RTX High Lighting, Medium Shadows. And Volumetric Fog = High instead of Epic.
Yeah, at first I thought you meant constant fps, that's why I was worried. But the average fps are close enough to think that it is cpu limited and the 8700k just can't get a consistent 120 fps in this title. Oh well. My benchmark is also at epic settings and rtx on all high.

Thx for taking the time to benchmark it :)

Probably better for me to stop worrying about it and just enjoy the game like before. Man I like this game a lot.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Add me to the "Returnal good" crew. This game is great.

I'm so used to games with nice visuals sacrificing movement for visual fidelity. Most AAA games have that clunky feeling where they don't want you moving too fast or turning too smoothly in case it would cause the animations to look off. I love that Returnal ignores that and immediately gets to shmoving. Sprinting is so fast, the dash feels great, the jump is huge, and the (spoiler for after 2nd boss)grappling hook imparting momentum is amazing. It just feels so damn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.