Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
yes, absolutely ... no corporation is your friend ... not THQ ... not Epic ... not even Volvo
I'm not saying to dismiss any of their negatives mind you, but don't let it anger you so much. Considering how well we're off today with our hobby with video games, I'm grateful at least with all the conveniences we got.
I got primarily into PC gaming in 2014; that's 5 years ago. Things are a lot better now in spite of Epic's shenanigans, and IMO they won't be heavily affected over time. Deep Sliver, their parent company and even THQ Nordic will still be around in 2020 and 2021.

Reactions: Matimeo and lashman

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm feeling like having a soft break from gaming because of all this shit. I like buying stuff on Steam because of the consumer friendly options like refunds and regional pricing. On Epic Store everything is more expensive because they use euros instead of my local currency, so that's a big reason for me to stay away. I don't care about Valve or Steam itself, I just want a reliable service.
Meh, for the time being, despite all the hubhub, nothing much has changed. The only thing you should have a soft break from is Metro Exodus if you are against EGS. Things haven't changed that much. It's unfortunate that the news is big enough to mean free press for a very barebone store.

Reactions: Wok and lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Valve looking after their own customers by warning them is a good thing, not a bad one.
While I agree with you that Valve communicating to its customers is a good thing, let us be fair and acknowledge that Valve is not known for amazing communication skills. A notice was displayed for Metro Exodus, and not for any other game on the verge of being removed, e.g. TellTale Games, etc. If people want to learn about games which are going to be removed, they usually have to visit Public Forum :: Removed Games Collectors and check whether a game is at risk.

The fact that Valve puts a notice calling out Epic is definitively surprising. It is an exceptional move by Valve, and hopefully, it could be the norm from now on, but I doubt it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matimeo and lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
While I agree with you that Valve communicating to its customers is a good thing, let us be fair and acknowledge that Valve is not known for amazing communication skills. A notice was displayed for Metro Exodus, and not for any other game on the verge of being removed, e.g. TellTale Games, etc. If people want to learn about games which are going to be removed, they usually have to visit Public Forum :: Removed Games Collectors and check whether a game is at risk.

The fact that Valve puts a notice calling out Epic is definitively surprising. It is an exceptional move by Valve, and hopefully, it could be the norm from now on, but I doubt it.
Well it's also an exceptional situation. We're talking about a game that was already sold on Steam as preorders deciding to not release on Steam 2 weeks before release. That's pretty much a first, I think.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
nvm ... was an alt-account ...

still:
as i've said before - remember kids, no corporation is your friend ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt Russell

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

That's one game onto my GotY list~

How did they fit a full sized gpu into a laptop?

Hello there, I have been away since I got sick these past days. Still not fully recovered
Get well soon bud :O

Keep in mind that this is the Max-Q ver. so its underpowered compared to the normal RTX 2070/2080. Reviews I'm reading online atm seem to recommend an RTX 2060 over the Max-Q versions. Still early in the RTX laptop phase so we'll see what later months hold.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Laptops with full size GPUs has been a thing for a while, they are always crazy. A friend used to have one when I was in college. It was insane. Also when it was running it was approximately the temperature of the sun. It was also like 8-10lbs. So not really portable at all. But damn did it run Crysis.

Reactions: lashman

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

I assume it got an exceptional statement because it was an exceptional situation. A game that had previously been sold on the platform was taken off and removed for an exclusivity deal.

The Telltale situation with even The Walking Dead might have warranted an update too, but I assume that wasn’t perceived as a big of a deal. Presumably because of how the game was almost dead, so fans in that situation were fairly willing to accept whatever outcome meant the game was finished.

Regardless, like I’ve said a few times, they should be more communicative, and yesterday’s statement should be a jumping off point for them to start anew.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
So, Deep Silver deserves death threats and hate mail over their shitty business moves? Fuck that, no one deserves that stuff for any reason.
This kind of statement is what really defines gaming news and "journalism" anymore. Nothing in Valve's statement alluded or encouraged death threats or hate mail, Valve legitimately explained what the situation was and that it sucked. No death threat is ever excusable and by shifting away from the few specific people making those threats to some broader vagueness of "Valve's fault" or "all gamers are terrible" (as is the tendency in gaming news), you're enabling that behavior.

If you want to see what inciting hateful messages or death threats looks like, watch Fox news or Trump's twitter feed. Valve's statement was certainly PR for themselves, as it should be, but it also accurately explained the situation without suggesting customers do anything at all. They could refund, they could dig in and pre-order, they could ignore it, etc. and Valve just tried to say "we think it'll be fine but it's up to the publisher" which is accurate.

I'm really tired of journalists citing, again, the exception of action by a stupid or ignorant or just immature minority of gamers as some kind of "standard", it empowers those people and it handwaves the actions as typical when even in the "toxic" gaming community, those actions are still a small minority. The "gaming community" is more toxic than say, the "cinema community" or the "knitting community" and that is partly because of the context and structure of gaming and also partly because of it just being allowed. Companies are extremely lax on punishing toxic messaging because those people are still customers, and gamers are lax because "it's just how it is" even though it really isn't.

Don't blame Valve for Deep Silver getting death threats. Blame the fuckers who are issuing death threats. Even if they were incited by Valve's message (which, if they were, they would have been incited by anything frankly), it's still their action that they chose to do and is on them.

Stop excusing poor behavior as some communal thing. It's not. It's on individuals and if you don't call them out it just encourages it. Every time I see a "news" post about some shitty behavior towards a dev it's infuriating because it's always one or two people or messages and they just roll in the hundreds of thousands (or more) fans into that group because it creates drama and drama creates clicks.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
so ... umm ... about that "statement" from THQN ......

as i've said before - remember kids, no corporation is your friend ...
A few hours later, THQNordic's twitter statement is still there and it's still a pinned tweet.
I could be wrong, but that Passle user seems pretty fishy to me.

EDIT: I guess I was right in thinking that he seemed fishy. He now has an "alt-account" tag on resetera and his profile is gone.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I don't know what is it with Steam that make journalists lose their minds. I was just watching a video debate from Canard PC the other day, one of the only respectable French journal, and the Steam part was all over the place. I mean I am in no way a Steam fanboy here but there are facts FFS. Someone even went the "if it means cheaper games" if memory serves.

itsamiracle

Dec 31, 2018
So I am trying to launch yakuza 0 in ultrawide res (using amd eyefinity), but the game launches fullscreen on just one of the monitors while the other blacks out (it comes back to life when I alt-tab to the desktop). Just tested some other games, specifically Hollow Knight, DOOM and Black Mesa, all picked up the 3840x1080 resolution just fine :/

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Yeah, I don't know what is it with Steam that make journalists lose their minds. I was just watching a video debate from Canard PC the other day, one of the only respectable French journal, and the Steam part was all over the place. I mean I am in no way a Steam fanboy here but there are facts FFS. Someone even went the "if it means cheaper games" if memory serves.
yeah, exactly .... people/channels i've been following for a good while ... that do otherwise good stuff, make great content ... when they talk about steam - it's just pure madness ... full of inaccuracies ...

and now i don't know what to think ... like ... if they're THIS wrong about steam, does that also apply to their other content? or maybe they are right and i'm somehow wrong in thinking what i'm thinking

like ... what is going on?!

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
yeah, exactly .... people/channels i've been following for a good while ... that do otherwise good stuff, make great content ... when they talk about steam - it's just pure madness ... full of inaccuracies ...

and now i don't know what to think ... like ... if they're THIS wrong about steam, does that also apply to their other content? or maybe they are right and i'm somehow wrong in thinking what i'm thinking

Eh minor thing but Kim Justice's recent '100 fav. games of all time' video featured both Half Life 1 and 2 and she commented on wanting Valve to 'go back to what they do best'. Valve now have moved onto a better position; improving PC gaming scene, which prompted GOG for one to try and follow suite with GOG Galaxy. Now say what you will about Galaxy but I like that I can access my downloaded GOG games this way.

BTW last I checked, Origin doesn't have a screenshot hotkey :V

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

Valve just gets alot of unwarranted hate for some reason...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Eh minor thing but Kim Justice's recent '100 fav. games of all time' video featured both Half Life 1 and 2 and she commented on wanting Valve to 'go back to what they do best'. Valve now have moved onto a better position; improving PC gaming scene, which prompted GOG for one to try and follow suite with GOG Galaxy. Now say what you will about Galaxy but I like that I can access my downloaded GOG games this way.

BTW last I checked, Origin doesn't have a screenshot hotkey :V
well i wasn't talking about Kim :p i haven't watched that video yet

just a general observation

Valve just gets alot of unwarranted hate for some reason...
yeah ... i really can't understand it

like yeah, sure, they're not perfect or anything ... not even great .... and there's plenty of stuff to criticize volvo for

but the amount of pure hatred they're getting from gamers AND journalists ... is just insane

Reactions: ezodagrom

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
well i wasn't talking about Kim :p i haven't watched that video yet

just a general observation
Well mine was an observation too, albeit a small one ^^;

yeah ... i really can't understand it

like yeah, sure, they're not perfect or anything ... not even great .... and there's plenty of stuff to criticize volvo for

but the amount of pure hatred they're getting from gamers AND journalists ... is just insane
I wanna blame this on being on consoles for so long that they only know 2000s Volvo and have 0 knowledge of the PC gaming space and what it's like now.
I want to, but I prob. shouldn't; I ain't a psychiatrist/sociologist :V

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I wanna blame this on being on consoles for so long that they only know 2000s Volvo and have 0 knowledge of the PC gaming space and what it's like now.
I want to, but I prob. shouldn't; I ain't a psychiatrist/sociologist :V
yeah ... i just don't get it

whatever volvo does - there are always articles saying just how HORRIBLE it was what they did ... even before epic announced their store

Reactions: ezodagrom

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
For console gamers it kind makes sense as they see Valve as the representative of PC gaming and they usually are not too kind to the rival platform.

As for the journalists... I don't really know what to say. A minimum of research will show that despite all of it's flaws and it's "dominance" of the PC, Valve presence has been a *huge* positive influence overall. And as far as I know they have never did abusive to try to kill the competition and usually support open standards.

I guess it goes to what make (at least so far) the PC market so different from other gaming platforms, and maybe people simple don't get why... but yes, there is a *huge* target on Valve for some reason.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
For console gamers it kind makes sense as they see Valve as the representative of PC gaming and they usually are not too kind to the rival platform.

As for the journalists... I don't really know what to say. A minimum of research will show that despite all of it's flaws and it's "dominance" of the PC, Valve presence has been a *huge* positive influence overall. And as far as I know they have never did abusive to try to kill the competition and usually support open standards.

I guess it goes to what make (at least so far) the PC market so different from other gaming platforms, and maybe people simple don't get why... but yes, there is a *huge* target on Valve for some reason.
yeah ... i really don't get it

the only explanation i can come up with (which is probably completely wrong) is they're 100% pro-dev ... and since devs are complaining about steam all the time - they view that as the truth .... and since devs also complain about "toxic community" (and rightfully so ... definitely not trying to say everything's peachy there) - they just throw EVERYONE playing on PC into the same bag and don't even bother trying to ask (or even understand) what actual players think and how it affects them ...

i don't know ... that's the only rational explanation i can come up with for all that madness

Last edited:
Reactions: Ex-User (307)

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
On a completely different note, does anyone have a suggestion for a mechanical keyboard? I hate my flimsy, low-profile keys, and I need something that actually has feedback. I don't want to spend too much, but my mouse is a Logitech G502 for rough price comparison.

Anything decent in that $50-80 range?

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
A lot of writer in games media are probably more console orientated and don't necessarily understand the PC place since they apply console logic for the most part. I love Giant Bomb but when they discussed The Division 2 get a lot of things showed that they were not really understanding the PC landscape today on both their podcasts. Like that the number of people using uPlay is small when we had like a 55:45 split for For Honor iirc. And Siege is huge also even if many launch it through Steam.

Another thing is that probably a lot of writers are friends with indie developers who tell their struggling times. Nothing wrong with that but it also skews the perspective. But that devs aren't always the best to give their opinion showed the Polygon article which had a paragraph about how regional pricing is forced discounts. Iirc all developers but one didn't knew that regional pricing was a thing.

And now with the Epic Game Store there is also this showing that there is a gap between games media, indie developers and consumer wants. I get that indies want things to change and if you release your games on Steam you can hardly force that but with Epic they didn't chose a particularly good partner it seems like. Maybe it will be different for the store because they're in it for the long haul to have something if/when the Fortnite fades but in their past Epic showed that they're not beyond abandoning things that don't perform as they expect.

Scummiest part about all of this is Galyonkin working for Epic since I don't know when and still taking money for Steamspy on Patreon. Not that they use the data since Valve makes it possible to view that but that he crowdfunds a thing that benefits his employer and for the public this data is pretty much useless now since it is so inaccurate. That is a story games media should write about. Not how the benefits of the EGS might trickle down.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
A lot of writer in games media are probably more console orientated and don't necessarily understand the PC place since they apply console logic for the most part. I love Giant Bomb but when they discussed The Division 2 get a lot of things showed that they were not really understanding the PC landscape today on both their podcasts. Like that the number of people using uPlay is small when we had like a 55:45 split for For Honor iirc. And Siege is huge also even if many launch it through Steam.

Another thing is that probably a lot of writers are friends with indie developers who tell their struggling times. Nothing wrong with that but it also skews the perspective. But that devs aren't always the best to give their opinion showed the Polygon article which had a paragraph about how regional pricing is forced discounts. Iirc all developers but one didn't knew that regional pricing was a thing.

And now with the Epic Game Store there is also this showing that there is a gap between games media, indie developers and consumer wants. I get that indies want things to change and if you release your games on Steam you can hardly force that but with Epic they didn't chose a particularly good partner it seems like. Maybe it will be different for the store because they're in it for the long haul to have something if/when the Fortnite fades but in their past Epic showed that they're not beyond abandoning things that don't perform as they expect.

Scummiest part about all of this is Galyonkin working for Epic since I don't know when and still taking money for Steamspy on Patreon. Not that they use the data since Valve makes it possible to view that but that he crowdfunds a thing that benefits his employer and for the public this data is pretty much useless now since it is so inaccurate. That is a story games media should write about. Not how the benefits of the EGS might trickle down.
i pretty much agree with everything you said

especially the last paragraph!

Reactions: BlueOdin

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Too bad gaming laptops cost too much, honestly.
Give it time and they'll drop in price. as is, GTX 1060 and 1070 on lappys are still good enough even today. I personally may settle for just RTX 2060 mainly because its the modern one and because i ought to be good for DSR+downsampling.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
i pretty much agree with everything you said

especially the last paragraph!
The Epic Game Store is also over a month old at this point. Maybe it is different for stores but you'd think that after that timeframe they'd release some kind of graphic on their performance. "XXXXXXXXX games were downloaded" and stuff like that to show that they're somewhat successful. But neither the Epic nor the Discord store did something like this so I take it that it isn't as successful as they thought it would be. And that people that care about Fortnite only care about Fortnite.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
The Epic Game Store is also over a month old at this point. Maybe it is different for stores but you'd think that after that timeframe they'd release some kind of graphic on their performance. "XXXXXXXXX games were downloaded" and stuff like that to show that they're somewhat successful. But neither the Epic nor the Discord store did something like this so I take it that it isn't as successful as they thought it would be. And that people that care about Fortnite only care about Fortnite.
yeah ... you'd think they'd AT THE VERY LEAST brag about how many people downloaded their free games or something

and yet - nothing ... not a peep

Reactions: BlueOdin

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
yeah ... i just don't get it

whatever volvo does - there are always articles saying just how HORRIBLE it was what they did ... even before epic announced their store

Not to rehash myself too much or anything, since my rants tend to get a bit discombobulated, but I think these points both tie back into what I was saying about gaming news / journalism / coverage. Writers and sites look for "drama" and highlight that, and make it stand out way more than it deserves. On top of that, I struggle to think of another realm of journalism where journalists are so side-by-side with the companies and corporations involved in creating the market in the first place. I said it before and I'll say it again, but what I see in the EGS thus far is almost completely different than what any coverage has mentioned so far.

News sites & their writers constantly ignore or excuse bad behavior by publishers or developers while emphasizing bad behavior by individual gamers and claiming those are the norm. There are a LOT of gaming news sites out there so I don't want to overgeneralize, but the 'big" players are showing a lot of parallels with the way extremely biased mainstream news *cough* Fox *cough* cover subjects, or ignore them. They are creating or controlling narratives to suit either themselves or their friends in publishers / developers or just not make enemies of those companies because they are increasingly reliant on friendly terms with the entities they are supposed to be objectively covering.

Take the Diablo Immortal "incident", I think I found one article, at all, that covered the whole thing in a reasoned fashion. Every other post was either about how badly fans were overreacting and highlighting this tweet or that to emphasize it, without addressing the huge number of people who didn't give a shit, or the general questionable decisions of ActiBlizz leading up to and following that reveal, or trying to draw clicks by highlighting the (admittedly lame) sentence about "don't you guys have phones?". So one article that I would consider actual coverage, across dozens of sites and dozens more writers shotgunned out across the community consciousness.

Matimeo

MetaMember
Oct 21, 2018
Another element to business people forget is the human side. Valve has struggled with this in the past. Their one size fits all approach doesn’t scale well in business especially when their approach can come off cold.

Companies make the mistake all the time of putting the wrong personalities in engagement roles.
Be a jerk in business and people will take their business elsewhere at any cost. I remember needing to buy fonts at MS and learned there was one font foundary who refused to work with the company. This made me chuckle knowing that someone was such a jerk they pissed off a font company who bypassed millions in potential revenue because of it.

Don’t understand how to prioritize your partners and you stand to lose lots of money. Every consumer based strategy is based on this. Because time and resources are not equal. Even internally we prioritize internal customers who pose the biggest security risk.

I recently watched a pretty big game update prep for launch on Xbox from an ops view. The update happened to be delayed and immediately a team of people on the Xbox ops side partnered with Xbox community when they realized the publishers PR which was out wouldn’t align exactly. Message boards were updated, on call help was made aware, it was interesting to watch how many people were involved on the platform services side to ensure this release went smoothly. These guys never get credit but wow are they critical path.

Valve just doesn’t operate like that. When partners get VIP treatment elsewhere they start to expect it everywhere. It gets normalized.

I know of a few times MS tried to collaborate with Valve and they were not responsive. If you think a company like MS is used to having any partner be unresponsive think again, Even when being price gouged because of how big they are the one thing you always see is almost harassment levels of responsiveness from external partners.

As far as the Metro thing let’s not pretend Valve is some wide eyed child. They knew this was coming hence their announcement on adjusting the percentage. Every business will try to negotiate so it’s not a shock to them. If a partner did bail with no discussion then the business relationship was broken. Broken business relationships affect you and your consumers.

I’m not a fan of stores having preorders open to take money from consumers they can earn interest on for nothing in return for months.
let alone without a basic contract in place that garuntees at least preorders being fulfilled as expected.

The reason you haven’t seen this on console is I bet those guys have contracts in place especially once you start taking preorder money.

Their message on the steam store is out of place as it breaks precedent. Valve may not say much but they usually keep petty stuff internal and looking back at Gabe commenting on EA leaving they stay neutral and focused.

Saying things like “unfair” just isn’t professional which raises another red flag for big publishers. It’s also not them being nice unless they are forfeiting their cut which I would guess they aren’t.

In the end the corporations all win.
It’s also the responsibility of Valve to think about these scenarios and ensure contracts are in place so their consumer base won’t be caught off guard.
As far as Epic , they are just a catalyst being used to show frustration partners are having with Valve. The payout is nice but it usually takes more than that to shift a business. I know of recent buyouts where the companies turned down the higher bidder and went with the next highest because they felt trust was there and a better path for growth.

Business is never black and white.
Consumers are usually the last discussed or publicly discussed as leverage but if they were truly the focus then this scenario would have been planned for on both Valve and the publishers side to be the least disruptive to consumers.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Take the Diablo Immortal "incident", I think I found one article, at all, that covered the whole thing in a reasoned fashion. Every other post was either about how badly fans were overreacting and highlighting this tweet or that to emphasize it, without addressing the huge number of people who didn't give a shit, or the general questionable decisions of ActiBlizz leading up to and following that reveal, or trying to draw clicks by highlighting the (admittedly lame) sentence about "don't you guys have phones?". So one article that I would consider actual coverage, across dozens of sites and dozens more writers shotgunned out across the community consciousness.
There were certainly a lot of reactions from superfans that you could easily classify as "overreactions," but the thing that was most hilarious to me about the coverage was the refusal to implicate Blizzard in the creation of those irrational superfans.

We're talking about a company that asks its fans to buy $50 virtual tickets to watch their event; asks the biggest superfans to spend hundreds of dollars on hotel and travel to come to their yearly event; encourages fans to invest their identity into characters via things like cosplay contests, in-game marriages, etc; has developers get up on stage and literally chant things about the Alliance or Horde; asks megafans (cough whales cough) during the year to invest truckloads of money into HS card packs, OW lootboxes, WoW subs, WoW cosmetics, HotS chests, and more...

And then, some journos had the audacity to solely blame the fans for being jackasses (which again admittedly, many were being), without laying any blame at the feet of the company who fostered this crazy fanbase because they were trying to make a gigantic profit out of milking them dry.

Oh yeah, so sorry your prize milk cow ran a little dry and kicked you in the shin when you pulled too hard on its dry teats trying to get more milk out.

Whereas yesterday, we saw Valve write one, almost completely innocuous statement, and people were totally ready to pounce on Steam and blame them for fostering a "hyper-toxic" fanbase. When their actions in fostering a "toxic" fanbase pale in comparison to what most mega-corps are doing in the gaming sphere.

Give me a break.

prudis

anime occult member
Sep 19, 2018
The Kingdom of Beer and Porn
twitter.com
To break the industry bullhsit here, below are some new releases from today :-D
-----------------V1.0 Launch--------------------

-----------------EGS 1 year Prerelease---------------------

--------------------v1.0 Launch------------------------------

--------------------PC Launch-------------------------------
--------------------EA Launch-------------------------------

Last edited:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I've always had really bad luck with Gaming laptops personally. That doesn't stop me from buying a new one every few years just to see what's new and changed, but damn. They overheat, or something goes wrong with the screen, or just bad luck.

My luck with desktops is totally different, but that's cause I build them myself. :p And nothing beats a fresh install of Windows without any of the pre-installed crapware a store-bought computer tends to come with. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.