Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Yeah, Seasonic are one of the most consistently rated PSU suppliers and have been for years. You may just have had a unit with an issue which is rare but a real pain if it happens.

I'd check the plug, check the power cable and maybe try a different socket if possible. It might have been a power spike or something that's tripped the fuse in the PSU but that's as much as i know apart from check the PSU cables look ok and were connected solidly.

I'd expect an unhappy or overheating modern PSU to power down rather than go pop so i don't think the positioning was a problem.

Reactions: xinek

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
So should I "try" to see if the Seasonic still works?

I'm not going to test it on my PC but I may try connecting it to another socket and use the PSU tester that it came with and see if the fan at least spins.

Oh and I checked some stuff and at least my keyboard and mouse are not dead. Seeing how those things together with the mousepad cost me about $300USD
Oh and something else while I wait would it be okay to use a molex to SATA cable? The seasonic came with a cable like that. I didn't use it since there was no need for it. But if I'm going back to my old PSU for a bit then I will not be able to use my additional drives. My OLD PSU has a molex cable. The main thing that I will be using with the molex cable is connecting it to an SSD
----

Dang it maybe I should have opened up the thing sooner since the smell doesn't send to be coming from the PSU.

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Yoro-gumo has been defeated (first try even).
Suddenly I can join a clan and PvP and o_O
And I can buy skins now. I find it hilarious how the only female one costs like 70 times more than all others.
Don't really plan to change anything during this first playthrough, but stuff like this is why I will always prefer playing on PC. Cheatengine ahoy!
Yoro-gumo was probably the easiest bossfight so far. The boss fight after that was kinda annoying though.

Really enjoying region 3. Thought region 2 left a lot to be desired.

Reactions: Ascheroth

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

+

From my understanding that can happen (which is why I decided to buy a new PSU to begin with) but I think that the posters of that video says that it mainly just happens because the adapters are poorly made. So if the wiring and the plastic are melted together that is bad, but if there are actual cuts in the plastic for the wires to go through it's okay.

Anyway I think maybe I will go without the SSD for right now.

Also I kind of wish that I had gotten the PSU from Amazon instead of Newegg seeing how Amazon will just let you return stuff and even pay the shipping themselves, while with newegg I was asking if I can get the same price as the deal from Black Friday for the Intel 660p SSD and they told me no.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
-----

I just "tested" my PSU and can confirm that the PSU is in fact the issue. Now to see if I can get a replacement (I think I have to talk to Newegg first is what Seasonic says in their warranty FAQ thing. And now to test and make sure nothing else in my PC is dead.

It was pretty scary to hear the popping sound again and see to see Sparks fly. At least it didn't start a fire.

The dang thing cost me something like $120USD and didn't last more than 1 month.

Oh and are all PSU cables the same? By which I mean are all of those computer power cables (you know which ones I mean), are they all the same? Your monitor uses it, your PSU uses it, other stuff uses it as well.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
FFFFFFF!!!!!!

I think my new PSU just died.

Everything was all normal and then I heard a "pop"/buzz sound. Also I smell burned stuff, the same sell that I remember from when my internet power adapter died. I will have to investigate this.

At first I thought it might just be a power thing since there have been times when our lights have flicked

If the PSU is dead, hopefully it's just that and nothing else is damaged, I can only hope. If my whole PC is dead, well RIP.

I was told that Seasonic PSUs were good and well ya. Well it's a good thing I didn't throw away my old PSU.

What could have caused this. Maybe I should have have set the thing to hybrid mode? And instead left it to fan always on? I checked the manual and it said that of I want the fan on, I can have my PSU upside down with the fan facing the filter on my PC, but if I don't want the fan always on, I can just have the fan facing my Motherboard instead.

The only other things that I can imagine to possibly caused an issue are my very old HDD (it's from 2005) but I doubt that would cause that, and then there is my NVME drive that I didn't screw down, I used the heatsink that came with my Motherboard and just held it down that way. I have not really been using that drive anyway (or booting from it either.

So what are some suggestions?

I'm freaking out right now, I have heard of this happening to other people, but have never had an issue like this myself
As some people already gave you some pointers as what to do next, I've to say that what impresses me the most is that you have a HD from 2005 working

-----

I just "tested" my PSU and can confirm that the PSU is in fact the issue. Now to see if I can get a replacement (I think I have to talk to Newegg first is what Seasonic says in their warranty FAQ thing. And now to test and make sure nothing else in my PC is dead.

It was pretty scary to hear the popping sound again and see to see Sparks fly. At least it didn't start a fire.

The dang thing cost me something like $120USD and didn't last more than 1 month.

Oh and are all PSU cables the same? By which I mean are all of those computer power cables (you know which ones I mean), are they all the same? Your monitor uses it, your PSU uses it, other stuff uses it as well.
You mean this kind of cable here? If so, yeah.

If you mean the PSU cables, here's an old but handy page about them.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
So this goty thing do we have to submit a list for decade too? I don't really care about decade lists so I never bothered to think about it.

Also I finished my first game of 2020- Forgotton Anne. A really nice little game that was also kind of somber too, but it looked great and the music was pretty well done too. It kind of reminded me of old disney movies before pixar and CG crap was everywhere. Its biggest flaw were the somewhat weighty controls which made a few of the "platforming" segments very annoying.

Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
I went to pause the Humble Choice and they gave me another $2 off coupon. I think i have gotten a $3 or $2 coupon everytime for the past couple months from going to pause or just getting it automatically via e-mail.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
As some people already gave you some pointers as what to do next, I've to say that what impresses me the most is that you have a HD from 2005 working

You mean this kind of cable here? If so, yeah.

If you mean the PSU cables, here's an old but handy page about them.
Ya i'm talking about the Amazon one.

I don't actively use the drive but it still has stuff on there from my very first computer. I think I maybe used the PC that it was originally in for something like 9 years. Also I have another drive from around that time as well that I have hooked up yo my PC. The drive from 2005 is only 80GB.

So ya it seems like my PC is fine minus the Seasonic PSU. I have not tested out all of my hard drives though but I am going to assume that they are okay.

What sucks is that I will have to connect everything right now, only to then connect it again when the replacement arrives

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I went to pause the Humble Choice and they gave me another $2 off coupon. I think i have gotten a 3$ or 2$ coupon everytime for the past couple months from going to pause or just getting it automatically via e-mail.
Humble offered me a €2 coupon as well when I was about to pause. But I paused anyway, the games I don't have already don't really interest me.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
I can't stop organizing my library, please send help! I'm categorizing, hiding anime games and adding custom artwork. It's like therapy.

What kind of games are you guys hiding?
I used to hide the $1 or below shitty games only but now anything that doesn't have an updated cover or has been updated with a shitty ass cover and it doesn't have a proper one available on SteamGridDB goes there too.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I can't stop organizing my library, please send help! I'm categorizing, hiding anime games and adding custom artwork. It's like therapy.

Demos, games with closed servers and betas that were readded to my library with the new update

Reactions: sk2k and xxr

xxr

Member of the Abyss
Dec 21, 2018
I used to hide the $1 or below shitty games only but now anything that doesn't have an updated cover or has been updated with a shitty ass cover and it doesn't have a proper one available on SteamGridDB goes there too.
Demos, games with closed servers and betas that were readded to my library with the new update
Yeah, I've been doing this as well. Also games I'm just not interested in or don't think I'll ever play.

Not sure what to do with old classics though, like Battlefield 2. It's a dead game and doesn't have official artwork so I'm just considering leaving those kind of games hidden.
Not anime games :disapproval-blob:
Well, it's not too late. :blobeyes:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Never listen to your mother and always keep boxes for stuff, for at least 1 year I say.

I guess that if I had kept the Seasonic box that I could have just returned it like that and gotten an easy replacement but sadly I am not able to do that.

Are RMA a pain in the but?

Reactions: Li Kao
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
reminder for everyone who missed it:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Never listen to your mother and always keep boxes for stuff, for at least 1 year I say.

I guess that if I had kept the Seasonic box that I could have just returned it like that and gotten an easy replacement but sadly I am not able to do that.

Are RMA a pain in the but?
Depends entirely on the company. Some are great, other not so great, and some are horrible. Also depends on your country but you get what I'm saying. Never bought a Seagate product so I don't know how good their RMA is, sorry.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
reminder for everyone who missed it:

anime will triumph

:fgo_jannucheer:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The warranty thing wants a PSU for my PSU...... well FFFFFFF me. I sent them an email asking them about it.

I'm going to see what they say and hell I may just buy a brand new PSU any suggestion. Maybe something that cost less than $150USD that is fully modular, that has multiple SATA connectors (8-9). 650+ watts 80plus gold. Something that makes as little noise as possible as well. And preferably something through Amazon Prime.

I'm sorry this is all just very infuriating is all, I bought something then it brakes and just because I do not have the original box I won't be able to get a replacement, which especially sucks since I was "preparing" for just this. I took pictures of all the serial numbers and stuff like that of the boxes that I was getting rid of and well lo and behold this happens. And I just threw the box away less than 1 week ago....

ahhhhhh

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The warranty thing wants a PSU for my PSU...... well FFFFFFF me. I sent them an email asking them about it.

I'm going to see what they say and hell I may just buy a brand new PSU any suggestion. Maybe something that cost less than $150USD that is fully modular, that has multiple SATA connectors (8-9). 650+ watts 80plus gold. Something that makes as little noise as possible as well. And preferably something through Amazon Prime.

I'm sorry this is all just very infuriating is all, I bought something then it brakes and just because I do not have the original box I won't be able to get a replacement, which especially sucks since I was "preparing" for just this. I took pictures of all the serial numbers and stuff like that of the boxes that I was getting rid of and well lo and behold this happens. And I just threw the box away less than 1 week ago....

ahhhhhh
The box requirements are bit ridiculous if you ask me, especially in this day and age. I dont know why companies expect people to keep that shit for months.

Reactions: PC-tan

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I don't understand. Can't you pack it up in some other box and send it to them?

Personally I don't throw boxes away as long as I own something, helps with RMAs, helps with knowing where accessories are, helps with getting a higher price when selling and then sending hardware to the buyers. There's no reason to not keep them except when running out of space.

Reactions: PC-tan and Kandrick

5taquitos

I don't beat games
Nov 18, 2019
This is the first time I've heard about SteamGridDB.

There goes my evening!

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The box requirements are bit ridiculous if you ask me, especially in this day and age. I dont know why companies expect people to keep that shit for months.
And like I said, it is something that I normally do anyone but the one time that I don't, it bites me in the butt.

What is funny is that when I buy my next cellphone I will likely buy an extended warranty and even though I keep the boxes for those and all, likely 2-3 years will pass by without me needed to buy a new phone (because the previous one broke).

Well it looks like I was able to submit a request, the the PSU label I just sent them a picture of the box (I did take a picture of the front of the box when I got it but that's it). And if they deny me request and tell me no then I will just buy another PSU and never buy another Seasonic again. That is right having a bad experience is what drives people away when there are alternatives. So I might go with EGVA or Corsair. My OG PSU is a Corsair and I have not had "issues" with it other than needing more SATA power cables. And as for EGVA I have no had any issues with their GPUs.

I was planning so spend this weekend playing DQB2 since I have time and all of that, I think I will just spent it playing Death Stranding instead.
I don't understand. Can't you pack it up in some other box and send it to them?

Personally I don't throw boxes away as long as I own something, helps with RMAs, helps with knowing where accessories are, helps with getting a higher price when selling and then sending hardware to the buyers. There's no reason to not keep them except when running out of space.

It's a requirement

edit: sorry if I misunderstood what you were asking. And I don't have much room for stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: NarohDethan

Kurt Russell

SUPREME OVERLORD OF EVIL
Sep 6, 2018
Mar del Plata
So this goty thing do we have to submit a list for decade too? I don't really care about decade lists so I never bothered to think about it.

Also I finished my first game of 2020- Forgotton Anne. A really nice little game that was also kind of somber too, but it looked great and the music was pretty well done too. It kind of reminded me of old disney movies before pixar and CG crap was everywhere. Its biggest flaw were the somewhat weighty controls which made a few of the "platforming" segments very annoying.
You can vote for just 1 game:

• You can submit less than 10 games for GOTD, but you must submit at least 1 game.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Just noticed that you can leave a comment on your friends' achievements, that's something I never thought about to be honest

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Wouldn't the label be on, you know, actual PSU?
Just look if there's an EAN code someplace there.
There is, but I just assumed it meant something else, I will submit another request then and see what happens.

Edit: It turns out that you were right. I got a message from them about 30 minutes ago and they asked for the sticker on the PSU itself

Now I have to spend like $20USD just to send the dang thing back. They have a way for me to get it much faster but that would also involve me sending my current PSU to a ewaste place and paying a fee there.

Last edited:

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
Played two hours of Wolfenstein The New Order. I know, late to the party.
Gameplay is very fast and brutal. It's fun. Collecting medpacks, armor and ammo manually adds some oldschool charm but gets a bit annoying. It's so fast-paced, I got a very little bit of queasiness but nothing that didn't go away after a while.

Some technical issues surprised me. The advanced graphic settings are unusual and ultrawide support leaves a lot to be desired. UI elements like tutorial messages for example don't do away, they just stay very far on the side of the screen. Some effects like flashback vignette also only fills up the middle of the screen and in general, it doesn't feel like I get the same - let alone higher - FOV. Switched between 16:9 and 21:9 and there's loss in the vertical viewing angle. Kinda surprised a relatively new game like TNO has such issues. Oh well, not a deal breaker thankfully.

At the beginning, I got some sweet flashbacks of Killzone 3. Man, it reminded me how great KZ 2&3 were.

RionaaM

Vogon Poetry Appreciator
Sep 6, 2018

I only hide repeated games (if I own the original and remastered versions, I'll hide the old one unless it's supposed to be better, in which case I'll hide the newest), multiplayer-only stuff I know I will never ever play, betas, and demos.

All games I don't care for (bundle trash, cheap or horrible looking graphics, things I don't care about to even check if they seem good enough to belong to the main "Games" category)) go into a "ZZZZ Random" category, which is named that way to make it appear at the very bottom, and to avoid explicitly calling these games "trash".

Every other game goes into a main "Games" category, and they can also be put in "Local Multiplayer" or "Online Multiplayer". Multi-only stuff that I wouldn't mind playing skips the "Games" category and goes straight to the latter ones. VR-only titles also skip said category, and are instead put into my recent "VR" group.

Finally there's the "Series and Documentaries" group that has exactly what the name says (including things like Indie Game: The Movie, and the Portal 2 and Tomb Raider Final Hours), and a "Double Fine Prototypes" category too (to avoid mixing them with complete games). I didn't bother separating stuff into genres or other devs/publishers

Reactions: xxr

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Naniiiiiiiiiii
Well at least they learned from 10 years of games :v
The biggest twist is that they have been summoned before a religious court for their game not having enough Islamic values.

Status
Not open for further replies.