Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

This'll be probably my first Dragonball game experience. Yes, I'm a single-player pleb.
Couldn't even watch the anime series back in the day because it coincided with other shows my siblings wanted to watch :disappointed-face:

Reactions: TheLetdown

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Dragonball Z, One Piece, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Naruto, Inuyasha, etc were my jam back in the day.
I'm not sure if I could watch DBZ nowadays though 😅

Reactions: TheGreenArrow

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Is it safe (no risk involved) in just buying a PC case (big tower) and a PSU now despite that I might not upgrade until in many months (until Intels next CPU series is avaialble and Nvidias 3000 series)?

I know certain PC components needs to be compatible with each other, but are there anything I need to remember with a PC case and PSU?

PC Gaming MetaCouncil GOTY 2019

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

It's that time again, and this time it's including the Game of the Decade poll.

Previous Year's Results: Community - MetaCouncil's PC Games of the Year Awards 2018 | Results

To cast your ballot, read the rules first and send me a PM to ask for a link to the Frama form.

The categories for voting are:
  • Game of the Year 2019 Award
  • Game of the Decade 201X (2010-2019) Award
  • Ongoing Game of the Year (optional)
  • Early Access of the Year (optional)
  • VR Game of the Year (optional)
  • Turd of the Year (optional)
GOTY Award:
  • Up to 5 choices can be submitted (ranked voting without point):
    5th Choice
    4th Choice
    3rd Choice
    2nd Choice
    1st Choice
  • For the 1st Choice, you will need to write a short text to explain why you have chosen it as your GOTY. It could just be a sentence, do not worry.
GOTD Award:
  • Up to 10 choices can be submitted (ranked voting without point):
    10th Choice
    9th Choice
    8th Choice
    7th Choice
    6th Choice
    5th Choice
    4th Choice
    3rd Choice
    2nd Choice
    1st Choice
  • For the 1st Choice, you will need to write a short text to explain why you have chosen it as your GOTD. It could just be a sentence, do not worry.
Other awards:
  • Ongoing, Early Access, VR, and Turd of the Year are all optional voting criteria, one vote for each criterion.
Eligibility:
  • Any game fully released on PC in 2019 is eligible for Game of the Year. This includes remakes and remasters, provided that there is a new executable. Episodic content is eligible for GOTY if the last episode was released in 2019.
  • Any game fully released on PC between 2010 and 2019 is eligible for Game of the Decade. This includes remakes and remasters, provided that there is a new executable. A remake/remaster/update of a game released during that time frame will count separately only if both versions are currently available to purchase on Steam, e.g. DARK SOULS™: Prepare To Die™ Edition is not eligible, as it is no longer available to purchase, you should vote for DARK SOULS™: REMASTERED instead. Episodic content is eligible for GOTD if the last episode was released in the correct time frame.
  • Any game released prior to 2010 which received content updates between 2010 and 2019 is also eligible for Game of the Decade. New content can be in the form of patches, DLC or general updates, but not bug fixes. (i.e. League of Legends and Minecraft are eligible)
  • Any game fully released prior to 2019 which received content updates in 2019 is eligible for Ongoing Game of the Year. New content can be in the form of patches, DLC or general updates, but not bug fixes.
  • Any game released into Early Access (or equivalent) on PC in 2019 is eligible for Early Access of the Year.
  • Any game fully released on PC in 2019 which requires or recommends the use of a VR headset is eligible for VR Game of the Year.
  • Any game fully released on PC in 2019 is eligible for Turd of the Year. We're looking for the worst games.
  • As MetaCouncil is a predominantly English language website, any game getting an English translation in the correct time frame can be eligible.
To prevent mix up, please copy the title of the game you wish to vote for from Steam (or other platform if only available there) precisely, including trademark notices, e.g. if you want to vote for RE7, put 'RESIDENT EVIL 7 biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7 resident evil' into the voting form, or if you want to vote for Witcher 3, put 'The Witcher® 3: Wild Hunt' as that's what it comes under on Steam. I will be parsing the votes to try to get everything counted, but this sort of consistency will help.

Do not...
  • Do not choose a game from previous years (Ongoing ) or from future years (Early Access) as part of the GOTY section.
  • Do not choose a game from future years (Early Access) as part of the GOTD section.
  • Do not submit the same game more than once in the same category. This only applies to GOTY and GOTD, separately.
  • Do not vote twice, if there is a problem contact me.
You can...
  • You can choose VR games for the GOTY/GOTD sections.
  • You can submit games from any PC store front (Epic, GOG, Origin, Steam, etc.).
  • You can submit less than 5 games for GOTY, but you must submit at least 1 game.
  • You can submit less than 10 games for GOTD, but you must submit at least 1 game.
Other small notes
  • Any rogue ballot or tampering will result in the ballot being disqualified.
  • Do not share the link, it is only for you and it is to verify who has posted.
  • If there is a problem, please contact me.
Deadline: Sunday 19th January at 00:00 GMT / Saturday 18th January at 19:00 EST.

Last edited:

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Is it safe (no risk involved) in just buying a PC case (big tower) and a PSU now despite that I might not upgrade until in many months (until Intels next CPU series is avaialble and Nvidias 3000 series)?

I know certain PC components needs to be compatible with each other, but are there anything I need to remember with a PC case and PSU?
The only compatibility questions with a case are things like the cooling system you want to use, mostly relevant for water cooling. The PSU should also be fine, that's all standardized and works with whatever motherboard you buy.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
The only compatability questions with a case are things like the cooling system you want to use, mostly relevant for water cooling. The PSU should also be fine, that's all standardized and works with whatever motherboard you buy. At least if it's a PSU from a known, respectable entity.
I will be using air cooling for CPU.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I will be using air cooling for CPU.
Unless you're looking at a ssf build, most mid or full tower cases are going to fit just about everything.
It really comes down to things: do you need optical, do you need rgb [to ruin the look of everything], do you need a psu cover, do you need a window panel
Those sorts of questions.

for the PSU, there isn't much of a question but: full or partially modular and efficiency rating (bronz,e silver, gold, etc) and how much juice do you need. usually 600 is a pretty good starting point

Also your budget plays into this, but you can get decent cases for not a lot or spend as much as a gfx card and go huge.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019

Full tower should be no problem at all. The most that you need to think is VGA clearance but with how PC case designed nowadays it should be no problem. Forr PSU you'll want a full modular one to avoid future problems.

Reactions: PC-tan

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Unless you're looking at a ssf build, most mid or full tower cases are going to fit just about everything.
It really comes down to things: do you need optical, do you need rgb [to ruin the look of everything], do you need a psu cover, do you need a window panel
Those sorts of questions.

for the PSU, there isn't much of a question but: full or partially modular and efficiency rating (bronz,e silver, gold, etc) and how much juice do you need. usually 600 is a pretty good starting point

Also your budget plays into this, but you can get decent cases for not a lot or spend as much as a gfx card and go huge.
I don't care about rgb.

I don't know what you mean with optical, psu cover, I do want a window panel as I like to look into the PC.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't care about rgb.

I don't know what you mean with optical, psu cover, I do want a window panel as I like to look into the PC.
Optical - do you need a cdrom/dvdrom/bluray drive in your case as opposed to eternal?
PSU cover:

It's basically a metal cover for the lower section of the case to keep the PSU separated for noise/heat reasons.
That case in the picture is the beQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro, just an fyi

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Optical - do you need a cdrom/dvdrom/bluray drive in your case as opposed to eternal?
PSU cover:

It's basically a metal cover for the lower section of the case to keep the PSU separated for noise/heat reasons.
That case in the picture is the beQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro, just an fyi
I don't need a bluray/dvd/cd/ drive in my case.

Never heard of PSU cover before, so I have no idea if I need it.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Got my top 5 of 2019 all settled but my top 10 of the decade still needs one more game. Currently it's between The Witness, Firewatch, Mark of the Ninja, Sleeping Dogs, MH World, Trackmania 2 Stadium or Spec Ops: the Line.

Reactions: lashman

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I don't need a bluray/dvd/cd/ drive in my case.

Never heard of PSU cover before, so I have no idea if I need it.
PSU cover is not something you need, it has no real impact on performance. It's mainly an aesthetic thing companies have started adding
If you're going full tower, your options are basically wide open and barring a turn to water cooling you're not going to run into any trouble with compatibility.
At that point it's how do I want to configure the case to maximize air flow or noise etc.
Just for reference: Best Full Tower Case (2020): 7 Large Cases for Extreme PCs

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
PSU cover is not something you need, it has no real impact on performance. It's mainly an aesthetic thing companies have started adding
If you're going full tower, your options are basically wide open and barring a turn to water cooling you're not going to run into any trouble with compatibility.
At that point it's how do I want to configure the case to maximize air flow or noise etc.
Just for reference: Best Full Tower Case (2020): 7 Large Cases for Extreme PCs
Ah okay. When it comes to aesthethics and looks, I actually don't care. So no need for PSU cover, RGB colors and stuff like that. Only think I want is a clean cable management.

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
Ah okay. When it comes to aesthethics and looks, I actually don't care. So no need for PSU cover, RGB colors and stuff like that. Only think I want is a clean cable management.
Clean cable management is what the PSU cover is for. You tuck all of the various 4/8 pin power cables in there, and then tie them up with one of those mesh sleeves, so it looks like there's only one visible cord.

Definitely not necessary. I don't have one, but I think I will on my next build. It helps make it cleaner looking.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
The only game that I have backed is Subverse.

I got the tier with Early Access from what I recall but the decided against it since there is no real need for it.

I should be getting a calendar soon from them from what I recall. They have been doing update post every two weeks.

They did issue Steam keys already, so I have the game in my Steam library.

I think they said it will be finished by this Summer.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
The only game that I have backed is Subverse.

I got the tier with Early Access from what I recall but the decided against it since there is no real need for it.

I should be getting a calendar soon from them from what I recall. They have been doing update post every two weeks.

They did issue Steam keys already, so I have the game in my Steam library.

I think they said it will be finished by this Summer.
How does it look to be shaping up? I remember being very on the fence about backing that game and eventually decided against it.

Man, this is awesome.

That's... the implications are astounding.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
How does it look to be shaping up? I remember being very on the fence about backing that game and eventually decided against it.

That's... the implications are astounding.
I didn't get to do the beta, FOW says that the beta went well, as for this one backer he says it was mediocre and that the only good thing about it was the music. The beta was the part of the game where you are in your space ship and shooting at stuff (twin stick shooter type of thing)

And while FOW has been showing images of what some characters and stuff look like, it does not seem like they are really mentioning the overall progress of the game, so not saying stuff like hey we are now 70% complete with the game and stuff like that.

So maybe things are much worse than I actually thought

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair is impressive.
I did not expect the game to be that good, and as usual, in large part because of gameplay options that get ignored by the reviews. Unlocking new tonics and changing your gameplay experience is not only fun, but it is the only the only platformer that I can think of that makes you want to collect the normally useless tokens. You want money, because you get something from it (hi New Super Mario bros 2 and your garbage concept).

It's a lot more than a good 2D platformer, it also fixes decades old issues in the genre. The overworld and the tonic system is fantastic.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
People warned that it would be hard to get into Below and I have to agree, it feels so alien that I instinctively just don't want to play, even though I want to. It just how I feel with new RTS games, since I don't know how to play it becomes to overwhelming,

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
yup ... C&C is awesome ... i spent A LOT of time playing that game back then
I hope the upcoming remaster is worth it. Looking forward to beat you in multiplayer 😁
It's a lot more than a good 2D platformer, it also fixes decades old issues in the genre. The overworld and the tonic system is fantastic.
Don't forget the ability to play a modified version of each level! The level design is extremely well done. I have 22 bees so far and still enjoying every minute 😍

Reactions: lashman

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland

And Psychonauts 2 on fig.
Also I backed "Wildman: An "Evolutionary" Action RPG" from Gas Powered Games, but they cancelled it cause it wasn't getting traction.

All in all the track record isn't that bad. Most games have shipped, most of them good to great.
The only one I've given up hope on is obviously Project Phoenix, that's never gonna ship.
I regret backing Ghost Song because of the kind of tool Jobbs is, but seems like he is still working on it, though nearly 6 years late from the estimated delivery.
Legend of Iya dude hasn't posted anything in a while on KS, but every now and then he posts something about it on twitter. Seems like he's primarily making Mystik Belle 2 right now, maybe that will make enough money so he can get back to Iya for a bit.
SpaceVenture is also long time coming but they occasionally post updates so it's not dead.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Yoro-gumo has been defeated (first try even).
Suddenly I can join a clan and PvP and o_O
And I can buy skins now. I find it hilarious how the only female one costs like 70 times more than all others.
Don't really plan to change anything during this first playthrough, but stuff like this is why I will always prefer playing on PC. Cheatengine ahoy!

Rockin' Ranger

Rangers With Candy
Nov 7, 2018
I still need to cram a few games into 2019 before I can even vote.
Ideally I'd finish Pathologic 2, Sekiro, and DMC V before voting time but that seems incredibly unlikely.

EDIT: Oh, and Devotion too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Flips

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
FFFFFFF!!!!!!

I think my new PSU just died.

Everything was all normal and then I heard a "pop"/buzz sound. Also I smell burned stuff, the same sell that I remember from when my internet power adapter died. I will have to investigate this.

At first I thought it might just be a power thing since there have been times when our lights have flicked

If the PSU is dead, hopefully it's just that and nothing else is damaged, I can only hope. If my whole PC is dead, well RIP.

I was told that Seasonic PSUs were good and well ya. Well it's a good thing I didn't throw away my old PSU.

What could have caused this. Maybe I should have have set the thing to hybrid mode? And instead left it to fan always on? I checked the manual and it said that of I want the fan on, I can have my PSU upside down with the fan facing the filter on my PC, but if I don't want the fan always on, I can just have the fan facing my Motherboard instead.

The only other things that I can imagine to possibly caused an issue are my very old HDD (it's from 2005) but I doubt that would cause that, and then there is my NVME drive that I didn't screw down, I used the heatsink that came with my Motherboard and just held it down that way. I have not really been using that drive anyway (or booting from it either.

So what are some suggestions?

I'm freaking out right now, I have heard of this happening to other people, but have never had an issue like this myself

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Just put your old PSU in and check nothing else has blown up.

Seasonic are a good brand, how long have you had it?

I have a Corsair RM750i and the fan has never had to spin up once.

It wont be anything you have done in regard to settings etc.

My last MOBO went pop after 6 weeks, sent it back and got a replacement, some times things just break.

Also, remember to use your old cables with your old PSU as more often than not they're not interchangeable between different PSUs

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Just put your old PSU in and check nothing else has blown up.

Seasonic are a good brand, how long have you had it?

I have a Corsair RM750i and the fan has never had to spin up once.

It wont be anything you have done in regard to settings etc.

My last MOBO went pop after 6 weeks, sent it back and got a replacement, some times things just break.

Also, remember to use your old cables with your old PSU as more often than not they're not interchangeable between different PSUs
I have only had this new PSU for about 1 month now. And if they do let me get a replacement I kind of wish that I had not thrown away the box it came in. Normally I would keep that stuff but stuff happened. Well hopefully everything turns on.

Reactions: Stevey

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
This is most likely an unpopular opinion but I can't stand the fact GOTY votes happen immediately after the year ends. There are so many potential contenders that get snubbed just because they released towards the end of the year or because cheap bastards, like me, are waiting for a >50% sale to pick them up...
Anyway, sorry Disco Elysium I'm sure you're top 3 material but I can't vote for you (yet).

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
FFFFFFF!!!!!!

I think my new PSU just died.

Everything was all normal and then I heard a "pop"/buzz sound. Also I smell burned stuff, the same sell that I remember from when my internet power adapter died. I will have to investigate this.

At first I thought it might just be a power thing since there have been times when our lights have flicked

If the PSU is dead, hopefully it's just that and nothing else is damaged, I can only hope. If my whole PC is dead, well RIP.

I was told that Seasonic PSUs were good and well ya. Well it's a good thing I didn't throw away my old PSU.

What could have caused this. Maybe I should have have set the thing to hybrid mode? And instead left it to fan always on? I checked the manual and it said that of I want the fan on, I can have my PSU upside down with the fan facing the filter on my PC, but if I don't want the fan always on, I can just have the fan facing my Motherboard instead.

The only other things that I can imagine to possibly caused an issue are my very old HDD (it's from 2005) but I doubt that would cause that, and then there is my NVME drive that I didn't screw down, I used the heatsink that came with my Motherboard and just held it down that way. I have not really been using that drive anyway (or booting from it either.

So what are some suggestions?

I'm freaking out right now, I have heard of this happening to other people, but have never had an issue like this myself
You just probably got a lemon. RMA that shit asap. It happens. Good PSUs are designed to implode and not damage anything so the rest of your PC is probably fine.

Reactions: Kvik
Status
Not open for further replies.