Community MetaSteam | January 2020 - Toss A Coin To Your Gaben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I enjoyed all 3 Shadowrun games. Yes, even Returns, which many people seemed to dislike. :)
In terms of the actual story (not gameplay), I would maybe even rank Returns above Hong Kong.

I kind of wish the developers stuck with that series a little longer (maybe having a small dedicated team making shorter expansions).
The combination of setting, nice narratives, and X-Com "light" combat was something I greatly enjoyed.

I have to check fan modifications one of these days.
The last time I tried some, most were very "undercooked" and lacking polish.
Hopefully, things improved on that front.
I don't understand how some companies don't release more Story DLC. The assets are done, the gameplay is done, Just make more stories within the game. I certainly don't need new gameplay mechanics every 6 months from a game that I love. The lowest effort you could do, is to just make a story without any new assets, gameplay and Voice files (if the game even had voice) And if you want a more premium product, you could add voice lines and / or new assets.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I guess I just have very different taste in games. There better be at least one JRPG and we'll I guess Yakuza 0 is that JRPG to you guys.
-----

I liked Nier but I wouldn't call it a game of the decade, there are better JRPGs and PC ports of JRPGs out there

Deleted member 113

I don't understand how some companies don't release more Story DLC. The assets are done, the gameplay is done, Just make more stories within the game. I certainly don't need new gameplay mechanics every 6 months from a game that I love. The lowest effort you could do, is to just make a story without any new assets, gameplay and Voice files (if the game even had voice) And if you want a more premium product, you could add voice lines and / or new assets.
Couldn't agree more.

When DLCs started to be a thing, I pictured games being supported for a long time, with smaller bits of story content occasionally being made (even for older titles), as long as there would be a demand for it.

Say, the original Deus Ex. I pictured some small expansions, with story content based on the universe, made by a small dedicated team. They already knew the engine, the publisher could have easily taken a small team, and done something with the old game and engine.
But, nothing was done.

Shadowrun is another game that could have sustained a small dedicated team working on story content for some time, especially since the game (and source material) is very "modular" in nature.
The engine was done, most assets could be re-used, there's no voice-acting. It wouldn't be terribly expensive to make a few more, shorter, story modules.
Have a team of 2 or 3 guys working full time on new content, I'm sure sales would easily cover that.

Many teams use DLCs as a way of "nickel and dimming" their customers. Instead of having teams working on cosmetics full-time, can't you spare some developers to work on some small story content?

It's a really missed opportunity.

Deleted member 113

Now's a good time to mention I never finished the first The Witcher game, and never even started The Witcher 2 and 3, despite owning both. :giggle:

Feel free to shame me in merciless fashion. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
From Software got robbed left n right in the decade list. I expected 2 and/or 3 to make it as well. Oh well at least Sekiro got a lot of love in 2019.

Also RDR2 is quite low on the 19 list. It did come out late and is a very very long game so I guess it makes sense.

But seriously everyone should play it as soon as you have the time. Its such a great story.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Kyougar FunktionJCB Is Shadow Run 360 in the BC program? I know it'd be licensing hell but i think it had an interesting take for an online FPS at the time and was a victim of "Not the Shadow Run we wanted." I heard it was good though and people remember it fondly so i think it'd be a good candidate to bring back.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Top 2 is what I expected. As for New Vegas, it's a weird one for me. I put over a 100 hours into Fallout 3, I loved it so much, but when I started NV I felt burnout, it was just too similar. I need to give it another shot, I'm not getting any younger though, who knows if I'll ever find the time.

Last edited:

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I have created the thread for GOTD, but here is the top 20 if you feel like the Steam thread is cozy:

Game of the Decade Votes

1 | The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (appID: 1942, released on 2015-May-19)
2 | Dark Souls: Remastered (appID: 81085, released on 2018-May-25)
3 | Portal 2 (appID: 72, released on 2011-Apr-19)
4 | NieR: Automata - Game of the YoRHa Edition (appID: 113345, released on 2019-Feb-26)
5 | Divinity: Original Sin II (appID: 11800, released on 2017-Sep-14)
5 | Hollow Knight (appID: 14593, released on 2017-Feb-24)
7 | Mass Effect 2 (appID: 74, released on 2010-Jan-29)
8 | Yakuza 0 (appID: 11397, released on 2018-Aug-01)
9 | Disco Elysium (appID: 26472, released on 2019-Oct-15)
10 | Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut (appID: 9740, released on 2013-Oct-25)
10 | XCOM 2: War of the Chosen (appID: 37060, released on 2017-Aug-29)
12 | The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (appID: 19457, released on 2016-Oct-28)
13 | Dishonored: Game of the Year Edition (appID: 41590, released on 2013-Oct-07)
14 | Fallout: New Vegas (appID: 16, released on 2010-Oct-22)
15 | DOOM (appID: 7351, released on 2016-May-13)
16 | Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (appID: 1985, released on 2015-Sep-15)
17 | Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin (appID: 8222, released on 2015-Apr-02)
17 | Dishonored 2 (appID: 11118, released on 2016-Nov-11)
17 | Prey (appID: 19531, released on 2017-May-05)
20 | Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (appID: 76882, released on 2019-Mar-22)

Milena

Lost in VR
Jan 4, 2019
Uh, I thought Life is Strange would make the list.

The Witcher 3 was a given. Same as Dark Souls (although DS2 is still my favourite). I was not expecting Mass Effect 2 in the top 10.
3 Arkane games in the top 20 is good, but they should have been higher! :face-with-stuck-out-tongue-and-winking-eye:

Reactions: lashman

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
New Vegas had the same problem KOTOR 2 did. It was a vastly superior game but wasn't as "flashy" as the games that preceded it, so I'm not surprised it gets forgotten in these lists.

Some interesting choices on the list overall given that I think the voters here (age, preferred platform, etc) but can the top 3 are probably the the "consensus" choices we can get.

Reactions: lashman and PC-tan

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I'm surprised at Supraland and Baba is You making the top 10. A Short Hike was #18! And I felt like Bloodstained was not incredibly well received by most (I haven't played it/didn't back it so I don't know), so #5 is also surprising.

Reactions: lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
One of the votes is mine. It's a solid game all around despite lacking in location variety and real-life conspiracy.
Good starting point for Deus Ex to come back but sadly Mankind Divided fell short of that promise.
i think i have a pretty good idea what was your number one pick ;)

Reactions: freshVeggie
Status
Not open for further replies.